Should I switch from oldrim to SE

• 1 month later...

almost 2 years has past since the special edition came out and i am wondering how does it hold up against oldrim.Is the best nexus mods and loverslab mods released for special editon yet. like zaz packs , sexlab , hdt vagina or darksouls mods .If not will it came out in the near future ? it would be really great to migrate to more stable version of skyrim

RaceMenu SE just came out, which is great.
SexLab works fine for me, not using much Addons.

Biggest flaw is ENB, lots of features are missing because Bethesda had to mess up the engine so much, and its quite hard to re-create the Oldrim features

Some other big shot mods are still missing, and may never be ported as the authors lost interest in Skyrim.

Using SSE for a month now +- So far i am pretty satisfied with the released mods for SSE. Of course i am missing a few.
But to non-script mods it is pretty easy to port them yourself <usually>. Ported about 20-25 mods for myself.

HDT is a bit confusing in SSE (i think because HAVOC 64 is not free?) So there actually IS an HDT mod (from some chinese site) and there also are some other physics. (yet I don't know if they are compatible or not, but needed HDT High Heel System for some of the armors I converted) 

If someone is interested, Le Modlist: https://pastebin.com/PQ4AUegP

There is no HDT Physics Extensions, only HDT Skinned Mesh Physics.
SMP existed in Oldrim, but was mostly ignored because PE was first and was a bit easier.
SMP is more powerful, but can be discouraging with its XMLs and there is no Settings Tool.

Best thing IMO is that you can either link to the XML in the NIF file, or use the config to map a Shape Name to a XML file.

Almost everything that works in oldrim already works in SE, and in a much more stable manner.  The main exception is mods that require a DLL file that has not been ported yet.  You can create a MUCH heavier load order in SE than you can in oldrim and have it remain stable.

My current game includes 73GB of mods (including a few dozen oldrim mods), over 10,000 scripts, over 80,000 strings, several sexlab mods (a mix of both SE and oldrim mods), and my game is rock solid.  I've played it for close to 2000 hours and other than when I'm testing a new mod it never crashes, saves never get corrupted, and it looks better than my oldrim setup ever did.

Pretty much 90% of the mods the community deemed crucial have been ported to SSE, i've had much better luck modding the SE compared to Oldrim, it's far more stable  and ran much better than i ever thought.  Most of Sexlab mods and animations have been ported as well and are functional to a far extent.  I have almost 200 plugins and a bunch of high res texture mods and didn't have a single crash or an infinite loading screen since  i started my modded play through. 

honestly, I prefer Oldrim. while SE is definately a visual upgrade, that's all it really is. Not only does Oldrim have thousands more mods than SE, and pretty much every big mod that's on SE is on Oldrim, but it also runs much better on my computer, which is honestly a miracle because my computer usually can't run games that have really good graphics. add to that the creation club for SE is just a bad idea, I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon.

20 hours ago, TheAfterLife said:

Image result for trump wrong gif

If you've bothered research for just a minute you'd know that's not what SSE is all about. 

Actually most of it is wrong. *cough* 

Had to put this in a spoiler because it's so large.

11 hours ago, Mystery117 said:

honestly, I prefer Oldrim.

And there's nothing wrong with preferring it.

...while SE is definately a visual upgrade, that's all it really is.

Yeah. Uhh.. No. See the reddit post linked above. To summarize, there are graphical changes yes, but the stability is vastly improved from Legendary Edition due to the DirectX 11 and 64-bit upgrade that Special Edition has. Now you can spawn 500+ bandits all fighting eachother without a crash. It may run slow yes, but this would instantly crash Legendary edition. Try it for yourself in a vanilla no mod copy of both games. Also, on the flipside, now you can run large 73GB (Active mods), 250+ plugin mod lists with 80,000 strings and 10,000+ scripts and have 2000+ hour playthroughs with such numbers. (there are people attesting to these numbers exactly in examples I found on forums)

In lamen's terms, that amount of strings and scripts from mods in a Skyrim Legendary playthrough would cause the save to eventually corrupt in only about 20 minutes to a couple hours of gameplay, if not downright crash within minutes/seconds or even fail to boot entirely.

Not only does Oldrim have thousands more mods than SE....

Thousands more: yes. Ones that can't be easily ported to SSE by yourself in a matter of minutes with one-click tools available: no.

...and pretty much every big mod that's on SE is on Oldrim

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10917 Have you even seen BRUMA? It's not released for Oldrim, and it's probably larger than most "big" mods for Oldrim.

[Oldrim] also runs much better on my computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzLgRvqfDs For most people, SSE with no mods runs better than Legendary Edition with no mods... if you have a modern gaming rig with decent specs that can actually run both games without the hardware holding them back. So, if it's running worse for you, are you sure your hardware is built for modern DirectX11 gaming?

...which is honestly a miracle because my computer usually can't run games that have really good graphics.

Oh. You already answered that question.

add to that the creation club for SE is just a bad idea,

So, you're telling all the console gamers that do not have any form of a gaming PC, let alone a PC at all, should play Oldrim on their consoles over Special Edition, which has loads of mods that actually add 100's of hours of new content over the base game, even though those players have never had a chance to mod Skyrim before? I find it hard to believe that you've even attempted trying Skyrim Special Edition for yourself within the last half a year.

I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon.

Your loss. Sexlab, SKSE64, Racemenu (as of 2 days ago), Legacy of the Dragonborn, HDT-SMP, and tons of other mods are easily available for Skyrim Special Edition, and more are on the way (especially now that Racemenu is finally in the works for SSE). On top of that, with tools available you can easily convert a lot of mods yourself.

Next time, don't go by what you've heard over the past two years and get up-to-date information.

Bruma is amazing in Newrim.  I don't dare install it to Oldrim though cause I'm not sure it'd hold up very well.   Graphically, Newrim is better looking straight out of the box than Oldrim (by miles...) 

And Newrim is hell alot more stable than Oldrim, period.  What Oldrim has in it's favor is the abundance of mods developed for it, but in time Newrim will catch up to it once SKSE64 gets sorted out for once and all especially with Bethseda's idiotic updates that break it every time.

And Oldrim can't handle the new 144 Mhz monitors - just playing the Helgen start results in a spinning cart ride with that kind of monitor will have you reaching for motion sickness pills. ?

11 hours ago, XenoDrake said:

Actually most of it is wrong. *cough* 

Had to put this in a spoiler because it's so large.

Hide contents

And there's nothing wrong with preferring it.

Yeah. Uhh.. No. See the reddit post linked above. To summarize, there are graphical changes yes, but the stability is vastly improved from Legendary Edition due to the DirectX 11 and 64-bit upgrade that Special Edition has. Now you can spawn 500+ bandits all fighting eachother without a crash. It may run slow yes, but this would instantly crash Legendary edition. Try it for yourself in a vanilla no mod copy of both games. Also, on the flipside, now you can run large 73GB (Active mods), 250+ plugin mod lists with 80,000 strings and 10,000+ scripts and have 2000+ hour playthroughs with such numbers. (there are people attesting to these numbers exactly in examples I found on forums)

In lamen's terms, that amount of strings and scripts from mods in a Skyrim Legendary playthrough would cause the save to eventually corrupt in only about 20 minutes to a couple hours of gameplay, if not downright crash within minutes/seconds or even fail to boot entirely.

Thousands more: yes. Ones that can't be easily ported to SSE by yourself in a matter of minutes with one-click tools available: no.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10917 Have you even seen BRUMA? It's not released for Oldrim, and it's probably larger than most "big" mods for Oldrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzLgRvqfDs For most people, SSE with no mods runs better than Legendary Edition with no mods... if you have a modern gaming rig with decent specs that can actually run both games without the hardware holding them back. So, if it's running worse for you, are you sure your hardware is built for modern DirectX11 gaming?

Oh. You already answered that question.

So, you're telling all the console gamers that do not have any form of a gaming PC, let alone a PC at all, should play Oldrim on their consoles over Special Edition, which has loads of mods that actually add 100's of hours of new content over the base game, even though those players have never had a chance to mod Skyrim before? I find it hard to believe that you've even attempted trying Skyrim Special Edition for yourself within the last half a year.

Your loss. Sexlab, SKSE64, Racemenu (as of 2 days ago), Legacy of the Dragonborn, HDT-SMP, and tons of other mods are easily available for Skyrim Special Edition, and more are on the way (especially now that Racemenu is finally in the works for SSE). On top of that, with tools available you can easily convert a lot of mods yourself.

Next time, don't go by what you've heard over the past two years and get up-to-date information.

Ah, my mistake. I'm just going by what I've played, and I didn't look to far into what was changed aside from gameplay and graphics. and for the record, I have played the console version of SE, and I do believe that, as far as consoles go, it is the best way to play skyrim. when I say that I perfer Oldrim over SE, I am talking exclusively on PC, and that's only because A) my computer is not built for gaming and can't handle SE as well and B) Special edition doesn't have as many mods as oldrim does, and probably never will. at least not before the TES 6 comes out.

Once you start modding SSE you'll not going back to Oldrim, the stable engine makes it all so pleasant and rewarding instead of CTD after CTD in random places. When I was modding Oldrim(200 mods) I had to spent days to help the engine handle this, now I don't have to and except some ENB features game look the same.

Here photo I made without ENB:

20180729230150_1.jpg

On 8/7/2018 at 1:43 PM, Mystery117 said:

Ah, my mistake. I'm just going by what I've played, and I didn't look to far into what was changed aside from gameplay and graphics. and for the record, I have played the console version of SE, and I do believe that, as far as consoles go, it is the best way to play skyrim. when I say that I perfer Oldrim over SE, I am talking exclusively on PC, and that's only because A) my computer is not built for gaming and can't handle SE as well and B) Special edition doesn't have as many mods as oldrim does, and probably never will. at least not before the TES 6 comes out.

I understand. My point is, though, that your statement of not having as many mods is slightly inaccurate though. Most mods from Oldrim work in SSE when converted, usually with minimal work required. Because SKSE64, Racemenu, Devious Devices, HDT-SMP, and most other frameworks work mostly identically to their Oldrim counterparts, you can usually get away with just optimizing the meshes with one click of Nif Optimizer, use a tool to check and fix the textures if necessary (easy as well), use the one-click program to convert animations (hkx files), and then just load Creation Kit with only the required ESP's loaded, open the esp, and save it. Done. Most mods I've converted are that simple. Even for mods with loads of armor meshes, you can do it fairly easily. You want to make sure you are moving all of the head-attached meshes out (hair, eyes, helmets, etc) and convert those by themselves with the head mesh option checked in nif optimizer.

Just because the mods aren't listed on the SSE Nexus or LL doesn't mean the mods don't work with SSE. There aren't as many mods on LL or Nexus for SSE but it's not because it's hard to convert the mods; it's because of Bethesda's stupid EULA preventing it from being legal for someone to reupload the converted mod without the original author's permission. And a large majority of mod authors have abandoned Skyrim or even Bethesda modding altogether.

If you are playing oldrim with ctd per hour or you dont need a lot of mod to play skyrim, SSE is you best choice.

Otherwise there is no reason to switch to SSE.

First there are a lot of mod will never port to sse because mod author already leave or it wont fit the new engine. Second, the most terrible thing, bethesda's creatsh*t club update. Although sse is not as bad as fallout 4, it still can destroy you skyrim when this sh*t come out. The retard bethesda fanboy will say just wait for script extender update, but we all know it is not that easy. Once script extender update, all of the mod depend script extender version will need to be updated. If mod author already lost interest, then say goodbye to that mod. And this

123.thumb.jpg.339e098d37018174420f84e287cf527f.jpg

I wont surprise if one of creatsh*t club update make your stable game unstable, so prepare yourself if you want to switch to SSE. 

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right spot. If I were to purchase special edition, would I be able to switch from special edition to light edition on the go or would I be stuck with special edition forever? Finally, what are the pros and cons of Special edition and Light edition? Thank you for your time!

?

They are sold as separate games. So you cannot go "back" to a game you don't own.

If you never played Skyrim, just get SSE.

Play it without mods for a hundred hours (do it, no mods.)

Then start modding it as hell.

Most of the most important mods are already ported.

5 minutes ago, CPU said:

They are sold as separate games. So you cannot go "back" to a game you don't own.

If you never played Skyrim, just get SSE.

Play it without mods for a hundred hours (do it, no mods.)

Then start modding it as hell.

Most of the most important mods are already ported.

I currently own just the normal version of skyrim so that would mean if I purchase special edition and since I own the other version I would be able to do both? 

18 minutes ago, ZomLock said:

I currently own just the normal version of skyrim so that would mean if I purchase special edition and since I own the other version I would be able to do both? 

If you own "old" Skyrim (aka Oldrim) and all the DLC (Dawnguard, Hearthfires, Dragonborn), you should be able to download Skyrim SE for free. It should already be in your Steam library then.

and as CPU already said: Oldrim with all the DLC is called Skyrim LE (legendary edition)

2 minutes ago, Vachnic said:

If you own "old" Skyrim (aka Oldrim) and all the DLC (Dawnguard, Hearthfires, Dragonborn), you should be able to download Skyrim SE for free. It should already be in your Steam library then.

and as CPU already said: Oldrim with all the DLC is called Skyrim LE (legendary edition)

Unfortunately I just own the base game and no DLCs.