Should I switch from oldrim to SE

I suppose I'll chime in (Help me, Divine Entity)

If you have a well established game save and suite of mods that you like for LE, then by all means, stick with LE. It ain't like Bethesda is lobbying aggressively for 3rd parties (ie. modders) to abandon LE like M$ is for Windows 7. (NO windows 7 discussion here please -- there's a thread for that already!)

Your platform isn't going away. Ever. Is Bethesda lobbying Steam to drop LE? Nope.

I like SE better though, for reasons already enumerated. More stable. Better resource usage. Less texture pop.

(Don't tell me SE is unstable because you dropped a 200+ mod load and a 400 hour save onto it, cold. and it barfed. Be sensible.)

^ If that is you, then LE is for you. And that is OK! It'll always be there for you (unless M$ decides to sunset DX9 support) (Who knows)

SE works for me, because I have that disease known as Restartitis. Add that into the fact that I just recently had to rebuild my computer/OS drive form scratch (with backups, thankfully) and it was a perfect opportunity to migrate to SE.

The only thing I'm missing is hair physics, because I don't wish to go through the rigamarole currently necessary. That's OK. There are dozens upon dozens of nice static hairstyles to choose from while I wait. If I want bouncy Azar ponytail, I'll go play Fallout 4.

I'm just not sure why people are fighting, while the means for everyone to be happy are so eminently manifest. :)

9 hours ago, phillout said:

Not all mods are being ported from LE to SE, there is also those that backported. Aside from those mentioned above I'd add Moonlight Tales SE which is a total remake, not a port and was originally developed (kinda obvious) for SE. I'm sure there's more, the ones I've mentioned are the ones I use myself. Thing is - anyone can easily convert from LE to SE, the backport process isn't that straightforward and can be done by the original author only (if they choose so). 

As for camera mods - there you go, Immersive First Person View. It used new, SSE exclusive .NET Script Framework - the one which is unlikely to be ever ported to LE. It's a replacement for the ugly, largely broken and poorly performing Papyrus - and as it gets more features and stability I'm sure we'll see mods using it for high-performance scripting. 

And I'm glad I don't even have to use ENB to unuglify my game with SE. I personally never liked it - all presets I've tried on LE used to fuck up either lighting, night eye or fade-to-black effects - in any combinations. Apparently people using them are just having fun with screenshot archery.  There are some decent ENBs on SE, but I don't need them to make my game look good with SE. Just a couple of engine fixes (fixing SSS, tree reflections and specular lighting) - and my game looks good, runs smooth 60 FPS everywhere with 200 mods, Open Cities, DynDOLOD etc on 2560x1440 resolution - all that without fucking microstutters every several seconds, fps drops in cities etc.

I am not sure about IFPW it is so bugged even on LE and using even more bugged version on SE? I read comment about it. And it´s have problem with same mods. From head I can say Helm overlay what is not on SE too.

EC is miracle in modding.

Good moded LE will look better then SE. If you play vanila game SE is better but, there is too much of stuff what ENB can´t bring to SE becouse SE don´t support it.

21 minutes ago, Karin said:

I am not sure about IFPW it is so bugged even on LE and using even more bugged version on SE? I read comment about it. And it´s have problem with same mods. From head I can say Helm overlay what is not on SE too.

EC is miracle in modding.

Good moded LE will look better then SE. If you play vanila game SE is better but, there is too much of stuff what ENB can´t bring to SE becouse SE don´t support it.

The looks are purely subjective, what you claim to be "beautiful" someone else will call "looks like crap". This is what usually happens when people try showing up their "beautiful ENB pics" like this or this one, or this abomination. And they claim this crap to look better than the SSE vanilla image  Yes, they seriously do.

So don't get me started on ENB, please. I've seen enough of it to make my mind about ENB being probably the most overrated thing for Skyrim ever.

I've seriously given some thought about going back to LE. Just cause there is some mods on LE I do miss and it's such a frustrating experience whenever CC updates anymore. I know there is ways to protect yourself through .exe backup and such but doesn't change the fact I always feel on pins and needles that a update could eventually break a mod or a mod had stopped support on SSE with a skse dependent version from months ago.

4 minutes ago, Hippeus said:

I've seriously given some thought about going back to LE. Just cause there is some mods on LE I do miss and it's such a frustrating experience whenever CC updates anymore. I know there is ways to protect yourself through .exe backup and such but doesn't change the fact I always feel on pins and needles that a update could eventually break a mod or a mod had stopped support on SSE with a skse dependent version from months ago.

Set the game to only update on start, then always start with SKSE. You won't get any updates until you actually start it via Steam. For me at least it would start via Steam instead even if using SKSE launcher if Steam wasn't running already, so for that reason only I have set Steam to start with the PC.

Ok, so I made the switch. Took 3 days of downloading and installing. I was unaware Nexus has a 1mb limit now since I only needed a new mod here and there and rarely were they texture packs.

I will say this... I'm impressed by how smooth it runs.

One thing I noticed is everything looks less... Crisp? Clearly it is run on the same engine as Fallout4. Is this what most others experience? I mean, it looks good, I just feel like it is slightly below LE.

Second thing is I converted a few mods. Now others advised they had portted them no issue. It wasn't that hard. Is there a guide or some other way to know what won't port over?

Visually I think I am slightly disappointed... But the stability improvement has made the transition worth it. I don't even use AutoSaver at all anymore, let alone every 5 minutes.

On 2/3/2019 at 10:06 PM, FauxFurry said:

Yep, HDT/SMP required. ?

4 hours ago, Plaguetard said:

One thing I noticed is everything looks less... Crisp? Clearly it is run on the same engine as Fallout4. Is this what most others experience? I mean, it looks good, I just feel like it is slightly below LE.

Second thing is I converted a few mods. Now others advised they had portted them no issue. It wasn't that hard. Is there a guide or some other way to know what won't port over?

Visually I think I am slightly disappointed... But the stability improvement has made the transition worth it. I don't even use AutoSaver at all anymore, let alone every 5 minutes.

It has a weird depth of field thing going on... it's like SE tries to adjust it on the fly, making things blurry occasionally. Slightly annoying, yes.

Porting mods... the only mods I've converted to form 44 are simple equipment/hair add-on mods, nothing containing .pex files or what-not. Probably not even necessary for mods like that, but just for Good Measure, you know...

In 130 hours, I've had 1 CTD. I was mucking about in the console at the time, disabling/deleting those stupid boulders at the ambush site on the road to Falkreath. Not sure if any correlation between the CTD and what I was doing.

14 hours ago, Plaguetard said:

Ok, so I made the switch. Took 3 days of downloading and installing. I was unaware Nexus has a 1mb limit now since I only needed a new mod here and there and rarely were they texture packs.

Base SSE visuals are disappointing. But a guy named aers created https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22423. It really makes a difference, and the latest enb (370) looks spectacular. It has the same fixes that aers created so you only need one or the other.

The following is a summary for LL users of what works as is, what's converted, what has problems, and links to several guides for converting mods.

Heh. I still use an automated saver in SSE. I've adapted to no ctds, so now I sometimes play way too long without thinking to make a save checkpoint :) 

5 hours ago, Garolding said:

Base SSE visuals are disappointing. But a guy named aers created https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22423. It really makes a difference, and the latest enb (370) looks spectacular. It has the same fixes that aers created so you only need one or the other.

The following is a summary for LL users of what works as is, what's converted, what has problems, and links to several guides for converting mods.

Heh. I still use an automated saver in SSE. I've adapted to no ctds, so now I sometimes play way too long without thinking to make a save checkpoint :) 

That was extremely helpful, thank you! Converting most mods is a lot easier than I realized and that list shows that I can easily snag 90% of the ones I am missing.

In terms of the ENB, I might just have to play around with a few and find one that fits. I used an Obsidian weathers one and I feel like the lighting is off or something. It's possible in my 70 hours of straight nodding I missed the ENB I am using utilizes an outdated ENB and not the newest.

Again, really appreciate the insight and help in converting. I just might have to reload the auto saver if I find myself forgetting to save completely now haha.

1 hour ago, Plaguetard said:

In terms of the ENB, I might just have to play around with a few and find one that fits. I used an Obsidian weathers one and I feel like the lighting is off or something. It's possible in my 70 hours of straight nodding I missed the ENB I am using utilizes an outdated ENB and not the newest.

I've been using a slightly tweaked Silent Horizons with Obsidian, https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/21543?tab=files . It looks good to great in most places but it does has the usual issue of the lighting for many weathers not being optimal. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/23174, from that same magician aers, will help a lot. Silent Horizon's author has already said he's going to support ENB weathers. 

So I just want to say this for anyone else considering switching but being worried about it...

I was EXTREMELY resistant to moving to SE from LE. My Skyrim LE was 'perfect', even if it did occasionally (average 1x30 minutes) crash. I ran with 254 mods at all times, things looked gorgeous, and I was relatively happy.

HOWEVER, I am really really glad I switched. I used Nordic setup as a baseline, tweaked a few things here, and then slowly over a week started adding. It took me 6 days to fully convert and feel happy, but I am SOOOOO thankful I did. My take... the graphics mods, even when just converted over from LE to SE don't seem as polished. I think it's the game engine I'm guessing. However, the game itself moves more fluid and animations are better. Best yet, because of a more stable environment I can merge more plugins, and now run with ESL plugins (which are especially useful in loading a patch for a merged plugin because ESL won't CTD if missing a master that's not actually missing because the original plugin is merged... and no I haven't had any issues with this at this point), I am currently running a setup with 572 mods, 406 of which have plugins. And after 20 hours of game play, not a SINGLE crash. NOT EVEN ONE. I am just in disbelief, and playing a character has become more enjoyable because I'm not crashing and removing and re modding and starting over as much.

I hope that review helps anyone who was on the fence for soooo long like I was.

Good luck, and happy modding!

On 2/3/2019 at 7:22 AM, SpyVsPie said:

Also can't mention SE exclusives (in my opinion at least) without talking about mathy79's various "Skyrim 3D X" mods, most notably 3d trees and plants and 3d landscapes. Far and away the best flora mods I have used. 

Nipcat's work on the Aether suite seems to be rally going places too, but I haven't tried it myself. 

Tons of thanks to you, mate - you convinced me to try those mods and I'm pretty much shocked by the quality. I've tried a lot of those landscape/flora mods in the past and these ones beat anything by a large margin in quality without any performance hit I could notice. 

14 hours ago, phillout said:

Tons of thanks to you, mate - you convinced me to try those mods and I'm pretty much shocked by the quality. I've tried a lot of those landscape/flora mods in the past and these ones beat anything by a large margin in quality without any performance hit I could notice. 

They really are head and shoulders above anything else out there IMO. When I check Nexus and see mathy has put something up it's pretty much an instant download every time. 

Just completed my SE loadout and started my first real game yesterday.  Really liking the switchover. 

Miss somethings from LE.  Troublemakers Forsworn mod (seperated pieces) is the big one.  Haven't found a Poop/Pee mod I like yet(Looked at peefart, but prereqs and some features seem overly ambitious...I just want to desecrate Daedric Alters and Shrines, and maybe pee on the occasional Thalmor Party.)  Sad Being Female has problems, that mod has become a staple (Looked but not getting a good vibe from Fertility Mode, but will likely install next playthrough).  Dragon Soul Absorb more glorious is very much missed.  I don't even want to kill dragons without it...I mean whats the point.

SSE Convenient Horses gave me pause at first but the new Quest and configure system has really grown on me.  Sexlab, Arroused and Eager NPCs seem to be working fine (haven't installed MNC or Scent of Sex yet).

Overall I am glad I waited until now.  Big props to Go to Bed and Keep it clean.  Work much as good as Bathing in Skyrim or better then Immersive Beds from LE.

So anyone else hesitating.  Now might be the time.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:22 AM, Pork Type said:

Your platform isn't going away. Ever. Is Bethesda lobbying Steam to drop LE? Nope. 

They're not?

I avoided Skyrim for years (the last single player game I bought was Civilization 3 when it was new) but finally got it in mid 2018. When I did the only form of it I could find for sale was SE on Steam. I had no idea at the time that mods would be split across two communities - I just went and bought the version I could find for sale. That it was labeled 'Special Edition' caused me to spend a few hours trying to find the 'regular edition' and see what the feature difference might be... but in the end I just figured it was cheap enough and bought 'Skyrim: The Only Edition'... as far as things looked on both Steam and Bethesda's website.

- I would tell anyone planning to get into modding to get and stick with SE. For the simple reason that my experience above will mean any new users of your potential mod will be SE folks. LE is a slowly fading community.

Plus when TES:6 hits, it is likely that mods from SE will be easier to remake than ones from LE, when it comes to scripts and .NET and so on... But of course it's also just possible they will shift the whole thing to JavaScript and Flash and not even use Creation Kit just because... (and probably Flash too since it's a dead technology, it will be just as wonky as Creation Kit and so folks will feel at home with the mess... :) ).

- But in seriousness, I suspect Creation Kit will still be here in TES:6, and be based on TES:5:SE with updates to make it worse... er... better...

As for the quality of LE vs SE, and the quality of the mods... I cannot speak to that at all. Nor will any future person to the Skyrim and hopefully soon TES6:Elswyr(*) communites be able to... since LE insn't available anymore. At least not from 'usual channels'.

(I did find copies on Amazon, but having no way to be sure they weren't being sold by random guys in China who would ship me a blank CD, I skipped that).

* (I can wish, if for no other reason that they finally would not be able to get away with Khajiit that have such poorly done heads)

On 2/1/2019 at 8:04 AM, phillout said:

This would still mean that SE gets LE ports plus extra - almost the same volume.

Nether's Follower Framework

OMG I half typed a post on Nexus the other day complaining that all follower framework mods appeared to be long dead and abandoned by their authors (until I noticed that EFF had a trivial update 3 months ago)... I've been looking for SOMETHING to replace the ones I've been tampering with as they keep having issues with changes in SE made since 2017...

Didn't think I'd ever find the answer here... but thanks for that post. :)

10 hours ago, jyotai said:

They're not?

I avoided Skyrim for years (the last single player game I bought was Civilization 3 when it was new) but finally got it in mid 2018. When I did the only form of it I could find for sale was SE on Steam. I had no idea at the time that mods would be split across two communities - I just went and bought the version I could find for sale. That it was labeled 'Special Edition' caused me to spend a few hours trying to find the 'regular edition' and see what the feature difference might be... but in the end I just figured it was cheap enough and bought 'Skyrim: The Only Edition'... as far as things looked on both Steam and Bethesda's website.

Having bought the original game back upon 11/11/11 and getting SE for free, I had no I idea that LE was no longer for sale on Steam.

It's still available to download/install in my Steam lib, but tbh, my post was really aimed towards established Oldrim players, without any knowledge of LE being removed from the store catalog. I'd be surprised to see something we legitimately bought, go poof. But it does suck for people who still want to purchase Oldrim for whatever reason (old computer, etc.)

esl.png

11 hours ago, Pork Type said:

Having bought the original game back upon 11/11/11 and getting SE for free, I had no I idea that LE was no longer for sale on Steam.

It's still available to download/install in my Steam lib, but tbh, my post was really aimed towards established Oldrim players, without any knowledge of LE being removed from the store catalog.

Yeah I kinda figured old hats might not know. It is good that if you bought something you can still download it. Imagine the outrage if that had not been the case...

... hold on, checking this store thingy again...

When I hit enter on this search, it just adds in fallout 4 as the 4th option.

So basically Skyrim LE userbase is going to shrink over time. Obviously so to will LE, since it's not the new shiny. But LE hasn't been for sale since at least June of 2018 when I bought SE, and I assume some time longer.

That alone to me is all the motivation that at least a new Mod Maker should need to know which one to focus on. Plus I imagine that is skills in mod making for TES:5 carry over into the future TES:6... it will be more likely the ones gained from SE that will be useful. If TES:6 uses 'old coding tricks' at all, it is likely use them from whatever was the most recently moddable game before it... Which is actually Skyrim VR... but I think that uses the same mod-environment as SE given that places like Nexus don't split mods apart between those two (I have no actual knowledge on this though).

Untitled.png

ps: I actually want to buy a legit copy of LE...

Since I don't see anyway to export custom made heads out of SE... and I want to make a bunch of unique follower mods... that seems to be the one case where it looks like a modder needs LE... and if that doesn't resolve itself I have to wonder what things will be like in TES:6 for follower mods...

(then again I seriously hope that TES:6 uses updated models... at least for Khajiit and Argonians because seriously... I'm a catperson fanatic but I won't make one in Skyrim or ESO because they just look so... bad...)

9 minutes ago, jyotai said:

Yeah I kinda figured old hats might not know. It is good that if you bought something you can still download it. Imagine the outrage if that had not been the case...

... hold on, checking this store thingy again...

When I hit enter on this search, it just adds in fallout 4 as the 4th option.

So basically Skyrim LE userbase is going to shrink over time. Obviously so to will LE, since it's not the new shiny. But LE hasn't been for sale since at least June of 2018 when I bought SE, and I assume some time longer.

That alone to me is all the motivation that at least a new Mod Maker should need to know which one to focus on. Plus I imagine that is skills in mod making for TES:5 carry over into the future TES:6... it will be more likely the ones gained from SE that will be useful. If TES:6 uses 'old coding tricks' at all, it is likely use them from whatever was the most recently moddable game before it... Which is actually Skyrim VR... but I think that uses the same mod-environment as SE given that places like Nexus don't split mods apart between those two (I have no actual knowledge on this though).

Untitled.png

ps: I actually want to buy a legit copy of LE...

Since I don't see anyway to export custom made heads out of SE... and I want to make a bunch of unique follower mods... that seems to be the one case where it looks like a modder needs LE... and if that doesn't resolve itself I have to wonder what things will be like in TES:6 for follower mods...

(then again I seriously hope that TES:6 uses updated models... at least for Khajiit and Argonians because seriously... I'm a catperson fanatic but I won't make one in Skyrim or ESO because they just look so... bad...)

I believe the head export function is working in the newer versions of racemenu for SE and if you REALLY want to use oldrim for that you can still buy the vanilla game just not the DLCs, but that would be enough to let you use racemenu. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze on that one though.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:05 PM, SpyVsPie said:

I believe the head export function is working in the newer versions of racemenu for SE and if you REALLY want to use oldrim for that you can still buy the vanilla game just not the DLCs, but that would be enough to let you use racemenu. Not sure the juice is worth the squeeze on that one though.

It's still broken for ECE though. But that said I didn't know it was suppossedly working for racemenu. Will check that out. If I was making custom followers though I'd probably want ECE since the faces thee just look a world better to me.

33 minutes ago, jyotai said:

It's still broken for ECE though. But that said I didn't know it was suppossedly working for racemenu. Will check that out. If I was making custom followers though I'd probably want ECE since the faces thee just look a world better to me.

Never used it, didn't know it had that feature ?‍♂️