Should I switch from oldrim to SE

• 2 weeks later...

I`m no expert but I switched over to SE a week ago and what I can say that it seems to run better, with better graphics and I think faster loading times out of the box. I didn`t have single CTD. Most mods I want have been ported over, only bad thing so far is that the community is split in two.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2019 at 6:56 AM, Laura 'Lokomootje' said:

Modding is still more populair for LE. I suggest that you stick with LE.

I disagree, unless there's a very particular mod that you can't get on SE (and it is true there are a rare few for which there is no alternative or replacement - I'm still waiting for Dev Aveza flyable airship home to make it to SSE - that being said Scarlett is real nice, and so is Kagrenac ), the tradeoff is well worth using SE for. A considerable amount of stability in a game that desperately needs it, in exchange for having only 15 redundant versions of each possible type of mod to choose from, instead of 41? Yeah... that choice is an easy one for me.

It would probably be nice to have a "no alternatives" list of mods for people who really like key things. Sometimes it's hard to know what will really hurt you to miss, of course. But if you're willing to switch to an alternative mod that does something similar for some items here and there, I say go ahead and try out SSE.

2 hours ago, Xiderpunk said:

IMO, SSE all the way. I couldn't be paid to go back to playing oldrim.

This mod argument comes up all the time, and it's funny but not a single example of an amazing must have mod that is ONLY for oldrim is ever given. The argument doesn't hold water any longer.  

It always seems to be people who stopped looking at which mods were available for SSE two years ago and assume not a single new mod has come out since then ?. I saw some guy on a Nexus a month or so ago saying he wouldn't switch to SSE until SkyUI was available ?.

I'll never go back to LE. Every mod I want is in SSE, can be converted or has an acceptable alternative. The only thing that might have made me go back is that a well modded oldrim with enb looked much better than SSE. Now that aers has fixed the shaders and Boris has included them in ENB 370, SSE looks much better, nearly as good as my memory claims LE looked.

And don't get me started on how wonderful espfes are for patching and modding. I finally took the time to learn how to use mod groups.  Using those, along with lots of small espfe patches for granular conflict resolution makes building a solid yet flexible mod list much much easier than LE. 

So I think I'm going to finally make this switch... Mod Organizer 2 still the best mod manager for SSE?

I noticed it's back to CBBE, UUNP doesn't work at all? I would think only script mods would be the big issue.

If anyone has any small tweaks or hints to modding SSE that might be different than LE, I'd appreciate it.

I've been modding Skyrim since it came out running 254 mods almost all the time and it runs decently most of the time, but I am hoping to find a slightly more stable experience.

1 hour ago, Plaguetard said:

So I think I'm going to finally make this switch... Mod Organizer 2 still the best mod manager for SSE?

I noticed it's back to CBBE, UUNP doesn't work at all? I would think only script mods would be the big issue.

If anyone has any small tweaks or hints to modding SSE that might be different than LE, I'd appreciate it.

I've been modding Skyrim since it came out running 254 mods almost all the time and it runs decently most of the time, but I am hoping to find a slightly more stable experience.

Welcome into the light my friend.

Personally I stick with MO2, just because I have very little reason to complain about it. Vortex I hear is also very viable, although I do not bother changing. The biggest change different to LE, is you actually can be a great deal more relaxed about mod combinations or worry a bit less about your script load. SSE is inherently more stable. Don't get me wrong though, it is still possible to make it unstable, it is just harder to do than LE. 

The biggest tip from LE still applies.. plan out a mod order in advance a bit, like decide which mods you plan to use.

Tweaks that will give you performance and frames over LE along with better visual quality.. Look for BC7 textures instead of DXT5 where-ever possible. Sound files should be converted to XWM instead of WAV where-ever possible. 

Generally if you use good knowledge of advanced modding from LE.. you will end up with a 255 mod load order that will be reliable and stable. 1000's of hours played here and never a CTD. 

On 2/1/2019 at 2:56 AM, phillout said:

New mods this week

LE: 72

SE: 123

Almost 2x difference.

Yeah but LE 72 new mods, SE 123 port of armor from LE

SE look worst if you run good ENB with LE and like bonus there are no basic mods like enchanced camera o.O, full working race menu etc..

Racemenu is getting there though almost up to LE standards. Being able to sculpt and import heads again is awesome. Gaming on Win10 with a 2gb video card SE has proven to be much more stable. If I had stayed on Win7 I would say LE I had some really great runs on 7 smooth as could be. But 10 I gimp and cut back and everything works briefly before it all goes kablooey.

If LE works for you and you can configure it stable I'd go with it. Everything has been modded to the limit and all the prebuilt configurations you could wish for.

If you have issues with LE and stability I suggest giving SE a try. Just make sure to disable updates and never launch through Steam after the initial launch. The Club updates are a p.i.t.a. but there are workarounds. So many mods have made it over now and there's a good chance for any of the basic mods you can convert them yourself.

If you enjoy armor mods with actual cloth physics, please don't waste your time...

Sheesh. Amazes/annoys me that HDT-SMP cloth physics isn't getting more love than it is now. I know there are SOME options out there, but compared to the sheer number of actual new armor mods with HDT-PE physics that gets released regularly on LE, choices are severely limited. There's only so much Dark Souls/Bloodborne I can take (in addition to the scant others)...

Oh, also, in regards to ENB, there just doesn't seem to be as much enthusiasm for it as there was in LE. Many of the SSE ENBs look uninspired or same-y, with only a few selections, and from what I can tell no non-Nexus presets. Of course, SSE ENB isn't quite where LE ENB is in terms of development...

13 hours ago, Karin said:

Yeah but LE 72 new mods, SE 123 port of armor from LE

SE look worst if you run good ENB with LE and like bonus there are no basic mods like enchanced camera o.O, full working race menu etc..

Not all mods are being ported from LE to SE, there is also those that backported. Aside from those mentioned above I'd add Moonlight Tales SE which is a total remake, not a port and was originally developed (kinda obvious) for SE. I'm sure there's more, the ones I've mentioned are the ones I use myself. Thing is - anyone can easily convert from LE to SE, the backport process isn't that straightforward and can be done by the original author only (if they choose so). 

As for camera mods - there you go, Immersive First Person View. It used new, SSE exclusive .NET Script Framework - the one which is unlikely to be ever ported to LE. It's a replacement for the ugly, largely broken and poorly performing Papyrus - and as it gets more features and stability I'm sure we'll see mods using it for high-performance scripting. 

And I'm glad I don't even have to use ENB to unuglify my game with SE. I personally never liked it - all presets I've tried on LE used to fuck up either lighting, night eye or fade-to-black effects - in any combinations. Apparently people using them are just having fun with screenshot archery.  There are some decent ENBs on SE, but I don't need them to make my game look good with SE. Just a couple of engine fixes (fixing SSS, tree reflections and specular lighting) - and my game looks good, runs smooth 60 FPS everywhere with 200 mods, Open Cities, DynDOLOD etc on 2560x1440 resolution - all that without fucking microstutters every several seconds, fps drops in cities etc.

3 minutes ago, phillout said:

Not all mods are being ported from LE to SE, there is also those that backported. Aside from those mentioned above I'd add Moonlight Tales SE which is a total remake, not a port and was originally developed (kinda obvious) for SE. I'm sure there's more, the ones I've mentioned are the ones I use myself. Thing is - anyone can easily convert from LE to SE, the backport process isn't that straightforward and can be done by the original author only (if they choose so). 

As for camera mods - there you go, Immersive First Person View. It used new, SSE exclusive .NET Script Framework - the one which is unlikely to be ever ported to LE. It's a replacement for the ugly, largely broken and poorly performing Papyrus - and as it gets more features and stability I'm sure we'll see mods using it for high-performance scripting. 

And I'm glad I don't even have to use ENB to unuglify my game with SE. I personally never liked it - all presets I've tried on LE used to fuck up either lighting, night eye or fade-to-black effects - in any combinations. Apparently people using them are just having fun with screenshot archery.  There are some decent ENBs on SE, but I don't need them to make my game look good with SE. Just a couple of engine fixes (fixing SSS, tree reflections and specular lighting) - and my game looks good, runs smooth 60 FPS everywhere with 200 mods, Open Cities, DynDOLOD etc on 2560x1440 resolution - all that without fucking microstutters every several seconds, fps drops in cities etc.

Also can't mention SE exclusives (in my opinion at least) without talking about mathy79's various "Skyrim 3D X" mods, most notably 3d trees and plants and 3d landscapes. Far and away the best flora mods I have used. 

Nipcat's work on the Aether suite seems to be rally going places too, but I haven't tried it myself.