Should I switch from oldrim to SE

29 minutes ago, endgameaddiction said:

Installed SSE a few weeks ago and didn't even make to riverwood because my game froze. Yeah, it's the same mess as 32 bit. it doesn't surprise me. And before anyone says 'but but playing without unofficial patches is suicide, bruh', you're right, Just because it's 64bit doesn't make it bug proof. Especially being a Behtesda game.

So I went back to Skyrim and saved myself the trouble of downloading hoards of mods for that so so so special edition.

So you play the game for 20 minutes and decide you know everything about SSE.. and then take the time to post this..  OKAY.

Lets see...

When I installed Skyrim  Legendary Edition over four years ago, I spent around the 30 hour margin (give or take) in game before I ran into issues. Corrupt saves, freezes and CTD. Without any patches. Only running the game that includes the latest official patches by them.

I get on SSE and run into a freeze not even an hour into the game. Running that game the same way.

I already knew SSE was going to be the same. I just had to confirm it myself. But I didn't expect to tease me so early in the game.

2 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

Lets see...

When I installed Skyrim  Legendary Edition over four years ago, I spent around the 30 hour margin (give or take) in game before I ran into issues. Corrupt saves, freezes and CTD. Without any patches. Only running the game that includes the latest official patches by them.

I get on SSE and run into a freeze not even an hour into the game. Running that game the same way.

I already knew SSE was going to be the same. I just had to confirm it myself. But I didn't expect to tease me so early in the game.

Interesting, I have played and modded SSE since release.. I didn't see a single CTD/freeze or any such issue for several entire play throughs comprising 100's of hours of gameplay time. The only CTD I experienced was when SKSE64 was first released. I have induced CTD's by using known bad meshes or skeletons in providing support for some of the mods I create/manage, other than that.. no serious issues at all. I now have well over 1000 hours in SSE and I have to say it is probably the most stable game I have played period. The experience of playing SSE has been a complete contrast to LE. 

The problem you experienced is likely as a result of something you have done. Were you running any mods? Skeleton updated? Any non-sse mods in your load order? You clearly started SE with a pre-conceived idea that it was going to behave exactly like LE and fall over at the earliest opportunity. The moment it did you have reinforced that mis-conception in your mind. I am not going to try to change your mind, I am just informing you of the fact you are very mistaken.

2 hours ago, Xiderpunk said:

Interesting, I have played and modded SSE since release.. I didn't see a single CTD/freeze or any such issue for several entire play throughs comprising 100's of hours of gameplay time. The only CTD I experienced was when SKSE64 was first released. I have induced CTD's by using known bad meshes or skeletons in providing support for some of the mods I create/manage, other than that.. no serious issues at all. I now have well over 1000 hours in SSE and I have to say it is probably the most stable game I have played period. The experience of playing SSE has been a complete contrast to LE. 

The problem you experienced is likely as a result of something you have done. Were you running any mods? Skeleton updated? Any non-sse mods in your load order? You clearly started SE with a pre-conceived idea that it was going to behave exactly like LE and fall over at the earliest opportunity. The moment it did you have reinforced that mis-conception in your mind. I am not going to try to change your mind, I am just informing you of the fact you are very mistaken.

Same here.  I have over 2000 hours played in SE now and all of the crashes I've seen have been self inflicted.  I can easily play for hundreds of hours at a time with zero crashes.  The only time I crash is when I install a new mod that has a conflict I didn't know about yet.  LE crashes constantly with far less mods installed.

What I ended up understanding about SSE is this: you can get most of the things of old to work, either by converting them yourself (seriously?) or by downloading them, but some pretty important stuff like HDT don't exactly work. Also, new "versions" of Skyrim keep coming out for some kind of reason and the whole progress of making Skyrim great again gets hindered.

So, in my conclusion, the best course of action is to wait.

Tell me, am I wrong?

1 hour ago, J the Hog said:

What I ended up understanding about SSE is this: you can get most of the things of old to work, either by converting them yourself (seriously?) or by downloading them, but some pretty important stuff like HDT don't exactly work. Also, new "versions" of Skyrim keep coming out for some kind of reason and the whole progress of making Skyrim great again gets hindered.

So, in my conclusion, the best course of action is to wait.

Tell me, am I wrong?

Converting mods is easy for the most part. The updates from Beth are a bit disturbing, but that is nothing new for Skyrim payers. Important stuff... depends on what you think... for me HDT never was important. But you are right, some things are not availible for SE jet, 

17 minutes ago, Pfiffy said:

Converting mods is easy for the most part. The updates from Beth are a bit disturbing, but that is nothing new for Skyrim payers. Important stuff... depends on what you think... for me HDT never was important. But you are right, some things are not availible for SE jet, 

Skyrim payers

I see what you did there bro

I use Oldrim for my SexLabs playthrough. I've got Oldrim pretty much converted to a sex game. My character's an Adventurer during the day, Prostitute during the night. Sometimes a Slave, Sometimes a sex toy.

For Special Edition I've got it overhauled to almost be a whole new game. Combat Mods, Survival Mods, Frostfall Mods, the whole nine yards.

It allows me to have my sex mods, and eat it.... the Cake... I can eat the cake in Skyrim Special Edition while my character's being raped in Oldrim... 

3 hours ago, astralara said:

Does any one know of a good guide that lists the steps and correct install order, etc. for modding Skyrim SE?

The two on the Nexus I know of are "BOSS - A total overhaul project for Skyrim SE" and "SkyrimSE Ultimate Mod." There's probably more out there, but those are the two that I know off. Although, neither list has been updated in a while, but I haven't really been Playing SE a lot either soo.... Yeah... 

19 hours ago, astralara said:

Does any one know of a good guide that lists the steps and correct install order, etc. for modding Skyrim SE?

Loot is a good start, but you still have to read the description of mods and do some manually, it can't handle everything. Still, it's a very good start. 

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I want to get Skyrim for the pc, but I just want the game to mod it, specifically with mods from this site. That begs the question, what version should I get? The og Skyrim, the latest skyrim, anything in between? What would work best with the mods located here? Only reason I’m not immediately getting the newest version is because I’ve bought the game a thousand times on my Xbox, and I don’t want to drop another 60 on it, but will if I absolutely must.

I’ve also heard rumors of the latest version not working well with a lot of mods, but that’s strictly from memory, and I’m not aware of the accuracy of it. I would be so beyond grateful with any help on this matter. 

Also, what would be the best place to buy it, preferably as cheap as I can get it? (I am not interested in any illegal sites whatsoever. I am strictly talking about sites like humble bumble that have good deals. That stuff isn’t worth a potential ban, I enjoy this place too much)

Well, other people may be able to provide more detailed answers, but the way I see it, it boils down to this:

• Skyrim Legendary Edition (aka LE aka Oldrim aka Skyrim OG) can achieve way better graphics thanks to its more advanced ENB, has pretty much all of the sex mods available, and is not subject to Creation Club Crap updates screwing mods up until they can be updated (which sometimes can take a while). On the other hand, it takes some work to get the game to be stable, and its "maximum reachable stability", while enough to play the game with only minor issues at most, will never reach the stability of SSE.
  • Skyrim Special Edition (aka SE aka SSE aka "the new one") is waaay more stable than LE, supports more "workload" with ease and can potentially perform surprisingly better than LE depending on your hardware, but the amount of mods available for it is more limited than for LE, graphics cannot reach the level of LE even with ENB (but ENB is still being developed so it may happen at some point), and you have stupid CC updates messing up your game from time to time.

IMO the best option would be to actually have both, so you can play Legendary for now for maximum moddability and eye-candy and then move on to SE whenever you feel like it's worth doing. But if you have to choose only one, I'd be inclined to pick up Legendary first and leave SE for the future. But that could just be me.

As for where to get them, you only need to find a copy of Skyrim Legendary Edition to get the game + all DLCs (preferably a physical one, though Steam codes alone can work as well if the retailer is trustworthy). I've never actually checked to be sure, but I've heard you may be able to find physical copies of LE in Amazon for something like 15 bucks or so.

7 minutes ago, Blaze69 said:

Well, other people may be able to provide more detailed answers, but the way I see it, it boils down to this:

• Skyrim Legendary Edition (aka LE aka Oldrim aka Skyrim OG) can achieve way better graphics thanks to its more advanced ENB, has pretty much all of the sex mods available, and is not subject to Creation Club Crap updates screwing mods up until they can be updated (which sometimes can take a while). On the other hand, it takes some work to get the game to be stable, and its "maximum reachable stability", while enough to play the game with only minor issues at most, will never reach the stability of SSE.
  • Skyrim Special Edition (aka SE aka SSE aka "the new one") is waaay more stable than LE, supports more "workload" with ease and can potentially perform surprisingly better than LE depending on your hardware, but the amount of mods available for it is more limited than for LE, graphics cannot reach the level of LE even with ENB (but ENB is still being developed so it may happen at some point), and you have stupid CC updates messing up your game from time to time.

IMO the best option would be to actually have both, so you can play Legendary for now for maximum moddability and eye-candy and then move on to SE whenever you feel like it's worth doing. But if you have to choose only one, I'd be inclined to pick up Legendary first and leave SE for the future. But that could just be me.

As for where to get them, you only need to find a copy of Skyrim Legendary Edition to get the game + all DLCs (preferably a physical one, though Steam codes alone can work as well if the retailer is trustworthy). I've never actually checked to be sure, but I've heard you may be able to find physical copies of LE in Amazon for something like 15 bucks or so.

Your rational and concise observations should be stickified.

I've still been stuck on 32bit Legendary Edition, better known as Oldrim for nearly seven years, played on a console at first and then modded across three different 64bit computers, even after Special Edition has been out for two of those seven years. I'm now totally crash free and have a great setup going after attentively modding the hell out of it since I first installed it on my crappy PC in July of 2014; I'm too embarrassed to mention how many hours of in-game playtime Steam has tracked me since then. 

Well I finally got tired of the 32bit BS that's still present, no matter the hardware, or what memory fixes get implemented, or textures resized and compressed; so I'm now in the process of installing SSE and kissing old Skyrim goodbye, quite possibly forever, because what reason would there be to go back, besides the fact that I had nearly 800 items in the mod organizer list and know for a fact that I'll have to start from scratch on SSE; I kept a backup of said mods and their priorities on an external hard drive, but that's just me being sentimental about it; there's no way I'm deleting them.

I'm just glad I have more knowledge than I did years ago, blindly adding random stuff with nexus mod manager and crashing at startup, but is that four plus year knowledge going to make modding SSE and adding all those files in there any easier? I hope so!

I guess my questions are, what's a good starting point? is there a credible SSE modding guide out there to follow as a guideline? Is there any difference between installing mods in SSE than Oldrim, and how many fixes are actually still needed? Is the performance and stability on that 64bit engine any less finicky than it was on 32bit? Lastly, what's the deal with HDT? is there an alternative, or should I just forgo bouncing parts altogether for the time being?

Thanks in advance for any given feedback.

My advice? Don't.

You're going to have to deal with constant updates for their Creation Club bullshit and it will invalidate your script extender and you'll have to not only reinstall SKSE but also any mod dependent on it (unless you run Steam in offline mode but why deal with that its annoying with Fallout 4). There are also plenty of mods, especially on this site, that are explicitly stated to not be SSE compatible. You're probably best off sticking with a version that doesn't get updates anymore and has already provided a stable base for its mods. 

Looks also don't matter because you can make Oldrim look far better than base SSE.

If you've messed up your Oldrim with downloads then do a clean install of the game and your mods, since it seems like you're willing to go through the same process for SSE. I've done it plenty of times already and am currently doing it for Fallout 4 to make the change from NMM to MO2.

Creation club updates are an issue but that can be blocked. And no you don't have to be offline if done right simple nowrite flag on the skyrim.exe blocks the update so that's not really a worry. I've been running on an older built of se for a while now and not once have the updates been a problem if blocked. As mod managers I would change to MO2 Much better control over your mods. Most of your old mods are not compatible but alot of them should already be converted to sse. Also you can convert the must haves yourself its not that difficult. I did a bunch of mod conversions for myself and have no issues whatsoever. SSE came a long way mod wise in just a small space of time and yes you can make it look like oldrim. There are enb's. So in the end basically everything you did in oldrim can be done in SSE. There are few things here and there but that gap is quickly being filled. Personally I'm running 494 mods and its super stable.

My main issue with going to SSE right now is the lack of support for ultrawide monitors. There was one mod that worked beautifully, but Skyrim SE has unfortunately been updated many times while the author has been on active deployment in the military. It no longer works and the author obviously can't update right now. Hoping for his safe return stateside.

I'm thinking about switching to SSE, but I'm still confused about armor mods. For non-nexus armor modders like Ninirim and Team TAL, do those all have to be converted for use in SSE?

Also, what about body types? Is UUNP or the new CBBE the more prevalent standard? If it's the new CBBE, I assume that also means ninirim's stuff would need to be converted. If it was UUNP, Ninirim's mods always come with UUNP bodyslide sets, so I assume it's just a matter of building them in SSE Bodyslide (which would hopefully address the mesh issues between LE and SSE) and also updating the ESP.

Edit: Or maybe it's not that simple b/c of HDT PE for LE vs. HDT SMP for SSE?

CBBE SE is better than UUNP but the outfits need to be converted specifically for the new CBBE, as it is different than the old LE one. You can port over armors from oldrim by converting the meshes with NIF Optimizer and the esp by just opening it in CK and saving it. If you can't be bothered to look for CBBE SE bodyslide conversions or do them yourself, and want to stick with UUNP, you can do so by copying the UUNP files from Bodyslide to Bodyslide SE. There are video tutorials on how to do that.

As for HDT, I'm not really sure myself, but from what I've understood, SMP and PE and fundamentally different. However, I believe there is a conversion guide on making a HDT-PE Outfit work with SMP, although I'm not really sure if it applies on SSE or if it's only for Oldrim.