Should I switch from oldrim to SE

1 hour ago, Heppai said:

I'm sure this has already been talked about before but I never got in on the hype when SSE was released.

How many of you are running SSE and is there much of a difference? Is it more stable modding wise?

Hey! I personally started playing modded SE today (finished my "stable" mod list) and let me tell you it runs way better than Oldrim.

Ofc Oldrim has a ton of mods that haven't been ported to SE but SE already has a huge mod base and I was basically able to get all mods I had on my Oldrim mod list to SE which is pretty cool.

The downside to is are the updates which will break most mods until fixes come out

4 hours ago, Cardona said:

Hey! I personally started playing modded SE today (finished my "stable" mod list) and let me tell you it runs way better than Oldrim.

Ofc Oldrim has a ton of mods that haven't been ported to SE but SE already has a huge mod base and I was basically able to get all mods I had on my Oldrim mod list to SE which is pretty cool.

The downside to is are the updates which will break most mods until fixes come out

Thats what i thought.... Good to know!

Hah! Love these guys saying SE is more stable than LE, they sound like parrots. Just so you know I have near 500 mods, 253 of those, esp/esm, and I don't crash, or have any problems with stability. I even run my game on ugrids 7 and the game is smooth as hell. Get that "SE is more stable" mumbo jumbo out of here. It comes down to what tools you use to do the job, and LE has many tools to get the game stable, and crash/bug free. SE gives more headroom in memory out of the box but LE has tools to fix its memory problems and they are easy to setup. SE is still skyrim, the same skyrim that goes wonky as fast as you can blink, and in the end it is the user who dictates whether the game will shit the bed, not what version you run. 

I'm running Oldrim. A lot of the mods i like are for Oldrim only and i've just gotten used to it so i can't bother to make a switch to SE. As far as stability goes, i've spent quite a bit of time stabilising my Oldrim so it doesn't give me any significant issues.

So yeah, Oldrim for me. Don't know what's right for you though. If you feel like you wanna switch to SE, then give it a try. Right off the bat it is more stable from what i've heard, and it also has some system advantages like being 64bit and some other stuff. See what suits you.

8 hours ago, myuhinny said:

Probably depends on what you are trying to convert from SE. Armors and outfits wouldn't be that hard as you can just load the nifs into nifskope and export the outfit parts out in .OBJ format and then load those .OBJ files into outfit studios.

I have converted fallout 4 outfits to skyrim before.

For me I have never ever gave SE even a thought as I thought it was a waste of time to work on something like this when they could of been working on something new instead. I could play SE if I wanted to I just choose not to as LE is better to me.

Nifopt can backport just fine without an intermediary now.

Seems everyone is still using Oldrim ?

I tried the Special Edition for an extensive playthrough (mainly to see the new water), but I didn't really notice any big diffrences. I was rather painfully aware that I was missing some of my favorite Oldrim mods. With the right grafic mods and ENB Oldrim look way better than SE and ,as said before, you can make Oldrim very stable with the right tricks.

So I returned to Oldrim, because of the multitude of mods and because I know my way around it way better by now^^

I moved to SE because of "to many string here", "IK foot his", ... Yeah, there a tricks to fix it. Sometimes. But the thing is, SE doesn't need them.

I also used the oportunity to clean my play list. I removed stuff that I never used. After that I noticed that 90% of mods have already been ported.

The rest of 10% ? I found replacements. And they are as good or better. I really like CBPC for example. Better then old HDT-PE.

I think this thread would have worked better as a poll to get a better sense of where the LL community as a whole stands on this.  Doing it as an open question just makes it more likely you'll hear from those with more militant opinions.  FWIW, my sense is that the Nexus community has largely switched to SE, but LL still leans toward Oldrim because there are enough mods here that haven't been (or can't be) ported.

I am also on SE, and it has been my experience that it is indeed more stable than Oldrim - however, like Fotogen, my load order is also cleaner on SE.  I don't see any reason I'd ever go back to Oldrim, I only use it as a development environment now.

19 hours ago, Distortedrealms said:

Hah! Love these guys saying SE is more stable than LE, they sound like parrots. Just so you know I have near 500 mods, 253 of those, esp/esm, and I don't crash, or have any problems with stability. I even run my game on ugrids 7 and the game is smooth as hell. Get that "SE is more stable" mumbo jumbo out of here. It comes down to what tools you use to do the job, and LE has many tools to get the game stable, and crash/bug free. SE gives more headroom in memory out of the box but LE has tools to fix its memory problems and they are easy to setup. SE is still skyrim, the same skyrim that goes wonky as fast as you can blink, and in the end it is the user who dictates whether the game will shit the bed, not what version you run. 

I don't know about stability, both are unstable no matter what but with that said SE does indeed run faster/smoother.

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya I just wanted hear peoples thoughts on which edition is the best and why .

I see alot issues sse patches keep breaking mods and with legendary edition performance can be poor . The list goes on with both versions really good and bad .

Be interesting hear your thoughts on the best version and why , maybe this help new people decide which one to play . Ty :)

SE = more stable, slightly less mods

LE = lot of CTDs, slightly more mods

Right now we have about all the tools to do SE mods. And all the basic frameworks are there.

About the "patches" they come because the SE version is still updated from time to time. But usually only SKSE mods are affected, and they get updated quickly.

Be aware this is the 1234567th thread on the same topic.

4 hours ago, tomcat101 said:

Hiya I just wanted hear peoples thoughts on which edition is the best and why .

I see alot issues sse patches keep breaking mods and with legendary edition performance can be poor . The list goes on with both versions really good and bad .

Be interesting hear your thoughts on the best version and why , maybe this help new people decide which one to play . Ty :)

Many people are totally convinced that Syrim Legendary Edition is a CTD generator. But that's not true.

Hundreds and hundreds of player change to SE simply because they have a lot CTD in LE and they think is a problem of the LE version. Really SE is more stable. But only because can access to more memory and support in a better way the aberrations.

I play my Legendary Edition, with 220 or 240 plugings, every weekend for 4, 6 or 8 consecutive hours without any problem. Half of my mods are from this website and many have the qualification of "heavy intensive script" and the other half usually give a lot of problems to many people, such as Frostfall, OBIS, WarZones, Wet & Cold and similar. But I not have any problem.

If your LE make CTD is, solely and exclusively, because you configure it incorrectly or because you installed an incorrect group of mods or you install them in a bad way.

I fight this mantra for years but seems that people don't understand it.

1 hour ago, GenioMaestro said:

If your LE make CTD is, solely and exclusively, because you configure it incorrectly or because you installed an incorrect group of mods or you install them in a bad way.

100% correct.

The OP might want to take a look at the SE tech support section to see how trouble-free SE is.

I find sse been breaking mods and one case heard a patch broke game . 

I alot people YouTube stay legendary , I'm not sure yet but legendary is one to go for so far . I find many armor conversions and new armors all being mainly aimed legendary .

To me sse is just a upgrade and using mods to get the new look . Plus main one thing is memory . Sse is also a market for selling mods with creation club all money to Bethesda as usual .

I guess legendary edition is called that because it still is today a legendary game . :)

I have been going back and forth, basically I do believe my SE is a little more stable, but not much, but I also don't have the same amount of mods as my LE so comparison might not be fair.  Here is how I would rate my two games. I'm sure this could be totally different for someone else.

Looks:  SE without ENB looks about the same as my LE with Rudy ENB. (I haven't tried SE with the Rudy ENB, I was told you don't gain much)

Stability:  SE I can go hours without a CTD and most of the time I never have one at all.  LE I am getting close to the SE stability but still have a occasional CTD.  More experienced modders could probably make this negligible. 

Mods:  This is my deciding point. SE is coming along, but you might find one or two of your favorite mods are not available yet.  If there is a mod I really want to use but is not available yet, I go back to LE.  Anyway SE was free so I didn't see any reason not to try both. 

SSE has been vastly more stable with more play time and less troubleshooting for me. I have a base game made in MO2 and use that as a base to add and rarely have issue that even needs troubleshooting. New games involve copy and paste my base to a profile folder, turn on the extra mods a few at a time, run FNIS as I go and its done. Mods are being converted fairly quickly now and even if not there are easy to follow conversion instructions. I almost never get CTD, the last few were a problem with a Racemenu update that has since been fixed. I have modded for a while but I am certainly no expert and find troubleshooting a pain in the ass so SSE has made Skyrim much more fun for me personally. 

Right now i don't get almost any CTD's in LE with well over 100 mods, and i have no desire to crank it up to 200 mods.. That would just increase loading times and gpu demand. Better to play just mods you know you'll use on a playthrough. Some point i thought i could escape CTD's with SSE but boy i was wrong. Doesn't even include HDT-PE. Ultimately most mods are more compatible with LE.

1 hour ago, Vuulgar said:

SSE has been vastly more stable with more play time and less troubleshooting for me. I have a base game made in MO2 and use that as a base to add and rarely have issue that even needs troubleshooting. New games involve copy and paste my base to a profile folder, turn on the extra mods a few at a time, run FNIS as I go and its done. Mods are being converted fairly quickly now and even if not there are easy to follow conversion instructions. I almost never get CTD, the last few were a problem with a Racemenu update that has since been fixed. I have modded for a while but I am certainly no expert and find troubleshooting a pain in the ass so SSE has made Skyrim much more fun for me personally. 

Absolutely, 100%

Several of LE's biggest fan's here have not tryed SE and so really there point is moot. 

little wonder they don't know what they are missing and generally still spouting the git gud / my LE is stable mantra which is why this question keeps getting asked, because the same 3-4 people blanket bomb the thread with one sided "My LE is stable don't change!" I have used both and they can suck my stable as fuck 372 plugin load order

and i still have 25 free esp slots not counting the 80 plugins i can 'esl'ify on top of the 140 esl's i have. SE is Far superior and evolving. some commentor's still use nexus mod manager if that isnt enough to make you realize they know nothing of SE and it's gargantuan leap into the future well then you just stick with LE while the rest of us pump stable extreme load orders in 4k at 60fps because of 64bit memory. (16 million terabyte memory addressing limit) fuqodahere with your 32bit 4 gig. SE is a gift, ESL's are the future.

if you can stabilize your own LE you can build an SE that will absolutely blow your mind. 

EDIT: the same conflict resolution rules apply for both game's it seem's some people forget that.

(que the standard ad Homenum for these threads)