Should I switch from oldrim to SE

10 hours ago, worik said:

? It might be a wise step to edit your post a bit ? Perhaps deleting the paragraphs with the two "-" as the first letter? Just a random idea of mine..  :classic_blush:

For sure, the post has less information that way. But perhaps it can gain another step of wisdom?

why don't you tell that to fore that say he don't support piracy, but write how tu use his mod on a cracked version?

that useless blabla is just for show

it's like the ones that cry when someone dare use their mod in another mod, even if their mod is a port from another game

On 7/22/2019 at 9:40 AM, VulpineKitsune said:

I have Skyrim SE. But as I search for mods (I'm looking for mods that include the more extreme fetishes), most interesting mods seem to be exclusive to Oldrim. Is it, in your opinion, worth it to buy legendary edition for those mods?

Also, in case I buy it, can I just chuck into it, together with the other mods, some graphical improvement mods or will I face compatibility problems?

Okay, to get back on track to your question. I've thought about the same even though I received a free version of it through Steam but I know SLE. I know what to expect and the mods I like are for it. There are enough visual mods for SLE to keep me happy. Though, I mod it more than I play it... Oo

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 10:22 AM, eightballyuri said:

i  have (old rim) as peopel call it. and skyrim SE as a free download for having oldrim. just got back into modding oldrim after some time away from it. just want to know if i can mod and play skyrim SE and oldrim at the same time without sacrifice something?

Apart disk space and time modding two games ? No sacrifice I could think of.

If you use a decent mod manager it will have both games well segregated on their own little space and even make sure the mod you download from Nexus go on the correct place. That said differences on mods between oldrim and Se have a huge overlap (Skyrim has the advantage of having years of modding SE has few new tricks and benefit that the mods ported from oldrim as usually pretty robust already ... so maybe less CTD fest ... but it may also be that while Bethesda did the bare minimum when making SE it still ended up with a slightly more stable game)

I made the transition to SE having the two games at first, eventually I sticked to SE because the mods I really care about were ported and the game definitely felt more stable (more modern engine but also possibly me being more cautious on what mod I added and how due to experience I didnt have when I first modded oldrim)

Yeah. I'm playing both Oldrim and SSE. I mostly just use Oldrim to playing around with SL and mod that don't have SSE version.  For my main playthrough I use SSE since it more stable and less crash than Oldrim. There also is some really nice outfit mod that exclusive for SSE.

I'm use Vortex and it very good at managed mutiple games. I use it for Oldrim, SSE, Fallout 4, Fallout NV. You can download mod for either of game at the same time and switch between game with one click.

So after not playing skyrim for years I got sudden itch to reinstall it again. The question is though in terms of mods supported should I stick to the LE or is it finally worth picking up SE? I remember around the launch SE didn't support SexLab SKSE and plenty of other stuff in general. It seems that the important stuff now works on the SE too, but the thing is I used plenty of sexlab mods with various all around armor replacers or mods that turned all npcs into females and I would like to install them again, after all whats the point of using body replacers if everyone is waring the default burlap sack armors and half of the npcs don't even use them since they are wrong gender. So here I am wondering which edition to pick.

And while we are at it what kind of body replacers do you recommend? I used to stick to cbbe but unp seems to have better control over various bodyparts in bodyslide and the asian modding sites seem to prefer it too.

Check available mods there. I guess you can search for what you want on the Nexus without issue, a lot of mods have been ported under the same name so a quick search should give you a hint of what is available there.

There is a very stable SKSE for SE (officially a beta but its stable and functional). If Bethesda pushes an update to sell CC stuff the SKSE won't work, usually there is an updated SKSE after a couple of days, but you also need to keep track of your SKSE plugins (mods that contains a dll), as those also need to be updated. The Conversion Thread is a good place to keep track of the available versions and new releases/updates. There is also a release of the Sexlab framework already, please don't try to use sexlab light or anything related.

In body types its 100% personal taste, but I'd say CBBE is the "default" body, as the UNP variants need to be converted from LE to SE, while CBBE has an official release. The CBBE version for SE is an improved version of the LE version, so you can take a look to see if you like it or if you prefer to give unp a try.

i keep thinking about coming back to skyrim and this is the major reason i haven't yet.  i've got all the mods plus a MO profile saved from my last LE install, but i remember the clusterfuck it was to finally get everything stable and have been hoping SE would be easier.  then i htink of the small LE mods i've got that will never get converted...

• 2 weeks later...

Case study: I went into Skyrim using SE (hence skipping oldrim) and build my whole mod-setup around it. In retrospect, i very much regret it, and wish i went with oldrim instead.

Reasons:

The only substancial benefit of SE is stability, but AFAIK you can get oldrim just as stable, with the right tools and patches.

Oldrim modding is alive and kicking - even moreso than SE, i'd say.

So no big benefits from SE - only disadvantages. What are those disadvantages?

- Much fewer mods to choose from, especially regarding adult mods

- Fucking compatibility-breaking version updates break your game all the time. It's hard enough to get skyrim stable with a hundred mods as is, but with SSE constantly changing versions and stupid modders bowing to bethesda, keeping your mod-setup stable and up-to-date is essentially a fulltime job. Forget actually playing the damn game!

- Porting mods from oldrim to SSE introduces another source of error: Now not only do you have to deal with bugs in the original mod, but also port-bugs.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:16 PM, Sternum said:

In body types its 100% personal taste, but I'd say CBBE is the "default" body, as the UNP variants need to be converted from LE to SE, while CBBE has an official release. The CBBE version for SE is an improved version of the LE version, so you can take a look to see if you like it or if you prefer to give unp a try.

Converting unp bodies? body, texture, bodyslider files I just copied from oldrim to se...

Please assist. I see tons of conversations about wether to get Skyrim legendary or special addition,.  But I want to know what version I should get if I was going to get it for the first time today , and I want to know what one I should get specifically for loverslab mods , particularly devious devices mods mostly?????? Also side note if I should get legendary edition where is that located these days x.x so hard to find

Not extremely knowledgeable on SE as a whole so it would be better if you simply browsed around, as there have been a ton of similar threads already; but IIRC Devious Devices stuff support in SE ain't quite up to speed with LE, so LE may be the best choice for you.

As for where to get it if you do decide to go for it, HumbleBundle has it for 30 bucks:

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-legendary-edition

You could also try checking Amazon for it, may even find it going for 15-20 instead if you are lucky.

Just try it, you can run both.

Although it is time consuming to build complex LOs for both, let alone playing both seriously.

If I had to choose than I stay with LE.

Changing to SE wouldn't make anything better, it would just change with what issues I have to struggle.

My SE setup was more stable than LE because there weren't much mods out there to mess up my game, also many functions of LE mods don't work with SE, thus making them less resource hungry and stable.

Now SE offers more mods to choose from, means you can make setups as unstable as you would do with LE if you overdo it.

In addition SE gets still auto updates that can mess things up.

And you have to be careful if those LE to SE conversations all work as intended.

Many calculation heavy mods don't work on SE yet and ergo it appears more stable.

Today you can setup your LE so stable that it doesn't matter if you use LE or SE if it comes to memory and graphics.

For me it looks like that:

SE for experimenting.

LE for everything!

17 minutes ago, Heppai said:

I'm sure this has already been talked about before but I never got in on the hype when SSE was released.

How many of you are running SSE and is there much of a difference? Is it more stable modding wise?

I keep running oldrim.  In fact I'm pretty "die on this hill" about it.

As I understand SE is a bit more stable.  But it also has a lot less variety of mods still.  Many of my favorites have not (and likely will not) be updated for SE compatibility.  Usually because the mod authors behind them are long gone.

That said, there are quite a few SE exclusive mods.  And someone told me its fairly easy to convert an Oldrim mod to SE, but impossible to do the reverse.  I don't know how accurate that is, I've never tried either.

That's my understanding of it.  I think it comes down purely to personal preference.  And if ESVI goes over well, I suspect many people will just jump on modding that, and adapting mods from Skyrim to whatever VI is called.

6 minutes ago, Aki K said:

I keep running oldrim.  In fact I'm pretty "die on this hill" about it.

As I understand SE is a bit more stable.  But it also has a lot less variety of mods still.  Many of my favorites have not (and likely will not) be updated for SE compatibility.  Usually because the mod authors behind them are long gone.

That said, there are quite a few SE exclusive mods.  And someone told me its fairly easy to convert an Oldrim mod to SE, but impossible to do the reverse.  I don't know how accurate that is, I've never tried either.

That's my understanding of it.  I think it comes down purely to personal preference.  And if ESVI goes over well, I suspect many people will just jump on modding that, and adapting mods from Skyrim to whatever VI is called.

No, you're correct. There are some mods on SE that I'd love to play on LE so I tried some research to convert. I'm not a pro modder or anything of the sort but a 64 bit mod cannot convert to a 32 bit if I remember correctly. Even the texture mods were suggested to stay away from unless you know what you're doing. I dont!

@donttouchmethere good to know. Thats what I initially thought about it. I wouldnt want to work a headache over the conversion or running both unless i knew it worked well or just as well. Because whats the point?

Probably depends on what you are trying to convert from SE. Armors and outfits wouldn't be that hard as you can just load the nifs into nifskope and export the outfit parts out in .OBJ format and then load those .OBJ files into outfit studios.

I have converted fallout 4 outfits to skyrim before.

For me I have never ever gave SE even a thought as I thought it was a waste of time to work on something like this when they could of been working on something new instead. I could play SE if I wanted to I just choose not to as LE is better to me.