Should I switch from oldrim to SE

48 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

The ENB game has improved substantially since launch but it will still ultimately come down to a matter of taste. What isn't subjective is the claim about having the same bugs.

Many of the longstanding issues have been silently fixed through patches released as part of Creation Club updates (including changing spawn rates, especially those of vampires in cities) but the official patches don't have a patch on the Unofficial Patch just yet.

https://www.loverslab.com/forum/73-technical-support-skyrim-special-edition/

the enb still fps killer and it ugly

19 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

Ugly is subjective as is Frames-Per-Second killer. Those with enough RAM/VRAM won't have any problems with frame rate whatsoever.

rudy in le = 55 fps

rudy in se = 35-40

same place , same config

you can take pics from both and you see by your self

Since I last played Skyrim, there must be so many new and shiny mods to try.  But wait... There are two different versions of Skyrim regular and SE?

I don't own the Skyrim DLC.  So should I get SE?  Steam doesn't sell the DLC anymore, but I could get a key.  Would it work on my steam copy?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Fucking Steam pulled the LE version again? Or Beth/Zen did. Man they suck so hard now! The LE version has ALL the mods, SE not so much. People are about evenly split on whether LE or SE is better. Those that argue for SE say it runs better. Others say it doesn't. I have both and have stuck with LE and it looks/runs pretty damn good for me with a shit-ton of mods. Plus no whoopee with SE like that of LE- so there's that to consider.

1 hour ago, Yazour said:

Steam doesn't sell the DLC anymore, but I could get a key.

Steam actually does sell the DLC, it's just not listed in the search options anymore.

And yeah, like the person above me said. People are split on which one is better, personally I prefer LE because SE gives me insane fps drops without any reason and frankly LE still has more mods and support. (besides my LE looks better then SE does, WITHOUT fps drops)

In general SE does run better, but at the least my crossfire probably doesn't like it.

If you just want the DLC while using LE edition you can get them here on steam:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/211720/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim__Dawnguard/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/226880/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim__Dragonborn/

https://store.steampowered.com/app/220760/The_Elder_Scrolls_V_Skyrim__Hearthfire/

Although they are quite expensive if u ask me.

SE is far more stable when memory stressed, both active and in regards to streaming assets and can have an infinitely larger active memory footprint, and that's literally it.

Every graphic advantage SSE is supposed to have out of the box is covered by LE + ENB, and for the graphics options SSE doesn't have, should those ever be fully implemented, the supposed framerate advantage will evaporate right along with it.

You'll find most evangelists of SSE are people that insisted on running bad mod collections in bad installs, and sure SSE will handle more of that before it barfs its guts out, but in regards to threading, code execution, papyrus delays (or lack thereof) and most importantly string tables, they're identical. Also contrary to evangelism, LE is more than capable of handling meshes with same polycount as SSE, so you'll find any exclusivity there is artificial arbitrary bullshit.

and lastly Beth breaks SSE mods that require SKSE every other month via the CC for hilariously underwhelming DLC offerings, of which downloading the packages for is mandatory.

The simple fact is LE copies both active and sold, outnumber SSE 4:1, so the largest playerbase still far and away resides with LE, and it'll stay that way as long as bethesda continue their pants as a hat monetization and SKSE fuckery.

2 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

I haven't actually tried it, so I can't say for sure, but this should work to get all DLCs. Steam/Beth removed the Legendary bundle from the store and unlisted the individual pages for the DLCs (so they don't show up when searching but can still be accessed through direct links as posted by Nibbles), but as far as I know existing keys for the Legendary package (both from digital key sales and from actual physical copies, if there are any still left out there somewhere) should still work as intended.

If you had LE on Steam before SE came out, you should've got a copy of it for free as far as i know. I didn't buy SE and had the ultimate edition bought long ago for a few euros on holidays.

As far as "which is better", I would say that SE is better on performance for me, it uses a newer 64bit system, so you can get more out of your game, it crashes less with mods too. Regarding mod support its another story, despite mods being ported to SSE, there aren't so much of a choice as LE offers after so many years being out.

2 hours ago, NikoNeliko said:

If you had LE on Steam before SE came out, you should've got a copy of it for free as far as i know.

I looked into this.  Apparently only those that had all the DLC got the free upgrade.

To everyone; Thanks for the advice.  I got the DLC bundle from G2A for much better price than steam.

1 hour ago, Yazour said:

Wow I had no idea.  I thought they just bought the keys from international retailers that regionally priced lower than global markets.

LOL, wood eye be vigilant!:classic_wink:
Go2Arena is a Polish Key-Resellers Company and has negative judgment in Germany.
and for 10 euros profit (saving) for an acquired key drift off into crime, is not worth!
I would never buy a cat in a poke, if you know what I mean. :classic_laugh:

44 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

.....lost in translation?

It is a German Idiom, which so not exist in other countries or incomprehensible is.
*I would never buy a cat in a poke* it means, you buy one object (cat) the you can not see (in a poke). 
if you then get this object, sometimes you will experience a surprise the you do not like. :classic_wink:

Hey everyone.

I was just looking to get some advice as I was considering modding Skyrim after a long hiatus. Last I did it must've been around 2017 before my hard drive got wiped, and the modding landscape has changed a bit since then.

Last time I used NMM and Oldrim, which even at that point was kind of outdated, but now that Vortex has taken NMM's place and there's been more than enough time for most Oldrim mods to be ported over to SSE, I was wondering what your guys' take on it would be?

I was thinking maybe giving SSE a try because quite frankly I'm just about done with the 32-Bit of Oldrim, but I wanted to get some input whether or not that's the way to go. As far as mod managers go, I was thinking Mod Organizer 2 since that seems to be everyone's go-to choice. I know for a fact I don't want to use Vortex for massive modding, since I tried that with Witcher and even then it was a pain to manage.

So what do you guys think? Oldrim or SSE? What mod manager should I go for?

Thanks in advance.

On 5/2/2019 at 3:37 PM, MadMansGun said:

.....lost in translation?

Nope.

Pig in a poke was an expression in britain before it was an expression in germany. People would take kittens and cut their vocal cords and tails off and put them in bags to sell as meat pigs for 100 times the price, because no one wanted cats for anything and meat was expensive as fuck.

Been a thing for literally hundreds of years.

Welcome back.  Personally I'm sticking with Oldrim because converting my work (meshes mostly) to SSE would be a nightmare.  If that weren't an issue, then I'd definitely go 64-bit.

I say that as one of those people who struggled mightily and eventually (mostly) succeeded in getting a stable build with thousands of mods in it.  Probably some sunk-cost fallacy there.

If I were to do it over, I'd probably go straight for SSE and never look back.

1 hour ago, RichterQ87 said:

I was thinking maybe giving SSE a try because quite frankly I'm just about done with the 32-Bit of Oldrim, but I wanted to get some input whether or not that's the way to go. As far as mod managers go, I was thinking Mod Organizer 2 since that seems to be everyone's go-to choice. I know for a fact I don't want to use Vortex for massive modding, since I tried that with Witcher and even then it was a pain to manage.

I'm the same way; I switched over to SSE and never looked back. Oldrim was prone to crashing not necessarily due to bugs or mod conflicts, but just simply because it couldn't handle save bloat and so many things running at once. I haven't had a single crash with SSE ever since I started playing, and that's with 100+ mods (and counting).

SSE is slowly growing and may never catch up let alone exceed the amount of mods that Oldrim had, but at least the essentials are all there (unofficial patches, weather/lighting mods, LL-related mods, a ton of slooty mods, etc.) so what you're missing from Oldrim are probably obscure mods, or ones that are redundant and no longer necessary in SSE, or just have yet to be ported over.

MO2 is the way to go right now. NMM is obsolete and Vortex is still way too new.

I have both Skyrim and SSE...and been playing SSE alot after installing a bunch of converted (and not so converted Oldrim) mods including a good bit of Devious Devices.  So far it's working out pretty well with the occasional hiccup in SSE, but it's still better than the CTD's that Oldrim is infamous for. 

And I also worked on my CBBE body for Newrim which is a doozy now. (I use 7B UNP for Oldrim, CBBE for Newrim)  

In any case, I have the luxury of switching between those two whenever I feel like it.  But I've more or less gotten my Newrim game up to almost to where my Oldrim is now...and alot more stable. 

I've been considering switching, since I do have both, but I did want to ask a few stability related questions first. How much does the SSE crush? With oldrim, I do get some random crashes entierly randomly and rarely, upon being hit by an spell, or entering an cell, but otherwise I can play for hours without any issues presenting themselves. Is this the case with SSE? Also, how much of Sexlab has been converted to SSE?

Edit: What about scaling clothing, like the ones oldrim has?

16 hours ago, Tex said:

I've been considering switching, since I do have both, but I did want to ask a few stability related questions first. How much does the SSE crush? With oldrim, I do get some random crashes entierly randomly and rarely, upon being hit by an spell, or entering an cell, but otherwise I can play for hours without any issues presenting themselves. Is this the case with SSE? Also, how much of Sexlab has been converted to SSE?

Edit: What about scaling clothing, like the ones oldrim has?

Unmodded the game rarely crashes.  Modded depending on how many active mods you get you may get a random crash here or there.  I am playing a heavily modded SSE right now, and in 10 hours of gameplay the game crashed only three times, and that was once every play session.  Beware though I had a problem with a mod that at the time I did not know that it was the cause.  The mod is called "Facelight Plus."  This mod for a whole year and a half caused immediate crashes when closing the dialogue window, while in inns, stores, and Jarl Palaces.  I thought it was one of Bethesda's wonderful surprises that they didn't correct.  But no it was the mod.  So my point?  Read the posts on the mod page before installing.

48 minutes ago, Kain82 said:

Unmodded the game rarely crashes.  Modded depending on how many active mods you get you may get a random crash here or there.  I am playing a heavily modded SSE right now, and in 3 hours of gameplay the game crashed only once.  Beware though I had a problem with a mod that at the time I did not know that it was the cause.  The mod is called "Facelight Plus."  This mod for a whole year and a half caused immediate crashes when closing the dialogue window, while in inns, stores, and Jarl Palaces.  I thought it was one of Bethesda's wonderful surprises that they didn't correct.  But no it was the mod.  So my point?  Read the posts on the mod page before installing.

Yeah, figured as much, struggling with FNIS ATM since it supposedly generates animations, but everything is stuck in tpose anyhow, been trying reinstalling FNIS and finding the culprit but no luck so far. 

Edit: The culprit turned out to be estrus chaurus (Confused as hell).