Should I switch from oldrim to SE

skyrim original has a 4gb ram limit(Hard limit). skyrim SSE has a theoretical ram limit of 18eb (exabytes)2 steps above terabytes. EDIT:i forgot about petabytes between there.

As fred pointed out, you already have one of them, the other will still cost you 19.00 on steam (i think) now if you are wanting to fly while a baby murlock ass rapes your PC, well, you might be SOL, but the most popular mods are already there, you can use the skyrim sse for beginners thread to have an actually really nice looking skyrim (not quite hollywood cgi but depending on your system pretty close.) and since you already own it. the rest is free.

14 hours ago, fred200 said:

Small extra note: Clothing mods (well any texture mod) typically do not have a plugin (ESM, ESP) or animations.

Those are extremely easy to convert to SE.

Consider Skyrim LE to be the deep pool for SE mods.

The critical ones (sexlab, etc) have all been converted to SE.

You already have Skyrim SE. It is by far the better choice.

Pick an LE mod you want for SE and convert it yourself. It is not hard. f you have problems - come back.

Wait I didnt know I could convert them myself since I have no knowledge about that stuff. How do I do it and whats LE?

Also can someone give me like a list of mods that make faces look good?

LE is the Legendary Edition - also known as Oldrim.

This is my full process. For a texture mod you can skip everything except the NIF Optimization:  Google to find NIF Optimizer. It is easy to run.

1) Download the mod to a convenient spot, like a folder on the desktop.

2) Use 7zip to unpack the archive to a folder of the same name.

3) Unpack any included BSA - then delete it. There are several tools around that make it easy.

4) If the mod includes any animations - the hkx files must be converted. Skyrim SE includes the conversion tool, and a batch file is available to do them all.

5) If the mod includes any NIF files - convert them There is a convenient conversion tool. DO NOT TOUCH THE FACEGEN DIRECTORY! (may or may not cause CTD)
Facegen directory can be handled by Nif Optimizer with "Head only" checked.

6) Use 7zip to zip the updated mod back up

7) Use your mod manager to install the mod.

8) If the mod includes an ESM, use SSEedit to remove the ESM flag, then rename the ESM to ESP.

9) Load the ESP into the Creation Kit and make a minor change in the ESP. Then undo the change and save it.

10) Rename the ESP back to ESM and set the ESM flag - if it was an ESM.

11) Fire up the game and see if the mod works.

12) If all is good, copy the ESM / ESP back to your mod folder.

13) Repack it and use your mod manager to delete his version and reinstall it

14) Move on to the next mod - you are done here..

I been away from Skyrim since special edition was released. I see both mod forums are active so I'm trying to determine which version to start modding?

Whats the focus here at LL? I'd hate to go with one and be missing out on some cool stuff with the other version.

I'd say that Old Skyrim version is better, because of there are more options of mods. Skyrim special edition is still building up on mods and I heard there were some troubles with special edition at the moment. Not sure if it's still causing issues, but sometimes mods don't work on there. I'm guessing their mentioning about it updating still, so it breaks their mods?

Anyway, I'm sticking to Old skyrim because of the good amount of selections to choose from. Plus I'd rather not be frustrated with a bunch of special edition updates and their creation club stuff.

it depends oldrim isnt as robust as se since its 32bit engine, whereas se most of the stuff have been ported or convert to 64bit engine, as a result its more robust, but if u are selective and careful with mods selection oldrim is indeed enough without waiting for mods to be ported over to se or u can try porting it yourself there are currently tools to allow porting of some mods.

i'll stick to oldrim cause i picky and selective and oldrim has most of the must have mods which arent available for se.

my 2 cents.

Do SSE, the engine improvements can't be understated.  If you're going to build a load order up from scratch, you might as well start with the strongest foundation you can.  SSE does have its problems(Beth updating fracks with mods, not having as many mods to choose from as LE), but they aren't anything the community hasn't crashed up against before when LE was 'new'.

The majority of the best mods have been converted, and many of the ones which have not can be converted by the user(Breezehome Fully Upgraded being a prime example).  Get your tools lined up and start building.   You'll want:

xEdit

Cathedral Assets Optimizer & SSE NIF Optimizer

BSA extractor

BSA packer(probably)

nifskope

and....  CK64 [insert diabolically foreboding soundFX]

Special Edition has most of the worthwhile mods ported to it at this point as well as an increasing number of mods which are mode for it forst (when they aren't exclusives) so the only real downside is the Creation Club updates which render scripted mods un-usable until they are updated (if ever). That could be a significant problem rather than something to be easily brushed off.

20 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

the only real downside is the Creation Club updates which render scripted mods un-usable until they are updated (if ever). 

you can disable auto-updates (im still two versions behind) and convert the animations from LE to SE. taken together, SE is a pretty safe, stable, and effective choice :D

43 minutes ago, Elizinator said:

you can disable auto-updates (im still two versions behind) and convert the animations from LE to SE. taken together, SE is a pretty safe, stable, and effective choice :D

That's the only way that I play. The risk still exists for the inexperience SE player, however.

4 minutes ago, assassin394 said:

How the the vagina physics collision in SSE? Is it just as good as Oldrim? I'm fine with vanilla sex but physics is a must have.

I would say that CBP-C works better than the old HDT collisions but that could be due to my old rig not being able to properly handle the more poorly optimized LE while my current one can handle SE more effectively.

@MoonSpot Sound advice but between my demanding job, gym, motorcycle and being a adult I hardly have time to play much less learn new software.

For starters i'm dropping NMM to fool around with MO2. With the backlog of games I have I shouldn't be playing this shit at all but... 

"Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."

On 6/17/2019 at 7:24 AM, Zathuul said:

I heard there were some troubles with special edition at the moment. 

Unfounded rumor spread by noobs who don't know how to backup and prevent automatic sneak updates that break SKSE functionality.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:30 AM, noir_78 said:

which version to start modding?

That's entirely depends on what niche you fall into. If you can't live without HDT bouncy stuff then go with Oldrim. If you can't live without Fire & Ice Overhaul and Civil War Overhaul 

by Apollodown you stick with Oldrim because they don't work for SSE. Support for animated vagina collision is very limited on SSE so if you like it working flawlessly you stick with Oldrim. If you like less crashes on loading (memory bug is fixed in SSE) and modding the game to maximum you go with SSE. Majority of the LL mods have been converted to SSE already here is conversion tracker: 

https://www.loverslab.com/topic/94228-sse-conversion-tracking-jun-15-3585-sexlab-updated-hdt-not-yet/

2 hours ago, Nepro said:

Unfounded rumor spread by noobs who don't know how to backup and prevent automatic sneak updates that break SKSE functionality.

It is still disgusting that CC updates breaking skse64 is even a thing at all. I am not dissing on SE here but the situation is so stupid it hurts.

2 hours ago, Nepro said:

by noob , what about enb ( the new fps killer) , it same in 100 %as old ( same bugs , and glitch) with ram optimized( for console in first place) , and low then fallout4

i have try to build same skyrime se as my old skyrim ( the same mods , texture) but it look ugly and i get low fps then old skyrim ( even i get ctd too)

2 hours ago, chevalierx said:

by noob , what about enb ( the new fps killer) , it same in 100 %as old ( same bugs , and glitch) with ram optimized( for console in first place) , and low then fallout4

i have try to build same skyrime se as my old skyrim ( the same mods , texture) but it look ugly and i get low fps then old skyrim ( even i get ctd too)

This is very individual thing though. For example I never had performance issues with SSE ENB and I actually prefer it's visuals to Oldrim ENB.

3 hours ago, chevalierx said:

12 minutes ago, Tiress said:

This is very individual thing though. For example I never had performance issues with SSE ENB and I actually prefer it's visuals to Oldrim ENB.

I also never had performance issues. You will get fewer CTDs on heavy mod setups on SSE than Oldrim. I modded both Skyrims to the maximum and know that SSE is more stable for heavy mod users. If you like your mod setup lighter then Oldrim may be way for. 

3 hours ago, Distortedrealms said:

It is still disgusting that CC updates breaking skse64 is even a thing at all. I am not dissing on SE here but the situation is so stupid it hurts.

You can't beat how the engine works. It was the same thing for the Classic when Oldrim was getting updates and DLCs.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:09 PM, FauxFurry said:

I would say that CBP-C works better than the old HDT collisions but that could be due to my old rig not being able to properly handle the more poorly optimized LE while my current one can handle SE more effectively.

SKSE and the majority of its plugins require updates after Skyrim.exe is updated.  OTOH, the majority of scripted mods do not require updates, because they either don't perform SKSE version checks or they perform them as "greater than or equal to" rather than "exactly equal to".

A simpler way of differentiating:
Mod comes with a DLL file -- likely requires an update.
Mod does not come with a DLL file -- not likely to require an update.
Mod has scripts -- has nothing to do with it.