What's on your mind?

21 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

Which ones caught your interest?

Battlefield 1 Revolution today and Divinity II Original Sin yesterday. Bought a bunch of B sex games last week at a dollar or two apiece. Bought ThroneBreaker- The Witcher Tales a few weeks ago but haven't really gotten into it yet. Now I need more storage. 66 games in library and only playing five or six for modding. Had Nier: Automata for a year or more now and never played it.

18 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Now I need more storage

I finally got into the red, so made some hard decisions. Finish and/or delete some. Started by playing some. If they didn't make me want to play for awhile, then it felt like a chore and was easy to tell myself - Life is getting shorter, why waste time on wasted money? Plus Steam will likely out-live me, so they will always be there - like Batman Origins.....

I also do want to revisit some older games to feel those experiences one more time. A one night stand with some titles isn't enough to marry them, but another taste sounds good.

2 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Battlefield 1 Revolution today and Divinity II Original Sin yesterday. Bought a bunch of B sex games last week at a dollar or two apiece. Bought ThroneBreaker- The Witcher Tales a few weeks ago but haven't really gotten into it yet. Now I need more storage.

The Witcher. *looks at review rating* GOD FUCKING! I mean Mr. Clean. Mister Clean is a god now. All hail Mr. Clean and no I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm going to have to get that when it gets on sale. I have my own projects to work on till then but that is definitely on my wishlist.

I do have been enjoying a few games with sexual content. I fucked a shark or did she fuck me? We had the babies and all was a good time.

1 hour ago, RitualClarity said:

What are you up to now (number of games) 100, 200?

Only 66 like I mentioned. I just hurts me to pass up a bargain. I'll figure out some way to cover it- like eat ramen noodles for a month. :skull:

BTW a couple of those shitty B games I picked up are kinda fun for an hour or so. One is this and another is here that came out years ago but is silly fun.

Very few of my Steam games were purchased new @ full price. I tend to use the wishlist to wait on sales, or for a GOTY version on sale which leaves me a bit behind, but I'm not affected by FOMO (Fear of missing out). After I learned about FOMO and what it meant, I begin to understand why so many people have their heads buried in their phones like ostriches.

Example: The Witcher 3 GOTY version was just as much fun for me to play around 1 1/2 years after release. All bugs were squashed and I paid like $20 (or less) for the entire experience. Being 'first' isn't always best. *cough Titanic cough*

For the curious:

Spoiler

Untitled.png.c8f51770376323783d020a421d33c0b4.png

Another 5 - 10 years and this will outpace my physical media collection. When you're old, single, and close to retiring, it's easy to decide 'what to play next'. I don't expect everyone to follow my example - I need guinea pigs to bug test the new releases before I buy and I thank those of you that do.

38 minutes ago, landess said:

Another 5 - 10 years and this will outpace my physical media collection. When you're old, single, and close to retiring, it's easy to decide 'what to play next'. I don't expect everyone to follow my example - I need guinea pigs to bug test the new releases before I buy and I thank those of you that do.

Oh come on! There's got to be that *Game* every once in awhile that your friends are playing and you gotta have it........no matter the cost. :classic_wink:

Which reminds me, do we have a thread where we compare our steam/gog libraries? Seeing games in yours I might have to check out.

Is the crocodile and alligator's ability to not succumb to the Hayflick limit something that could potentially be introduced into the human genome? Not right now obviously, but from an ethical standpoint and a scientific one, could it be done and should it be done?

5 minutes ago, Azzhat said:

Is the crocodile and alligator's ability to not succumb to the Hayflick limit something that could potentially be introduced into the human genome? Not right now obviously, but from an ethical standpoint and a scientific one, could it be done and should it be done?

Humans should work on stemming the outbreak of stupid before devising means of turning humans into even bigger idiots or ensuring that they remain eternally idiotic (literally).

2 hours ago, KoolHndLuke said:

There's got to be that *Game* every once in awhile

I quote myself in saying 'very few'. I did get RDR2, MHW, AC: Origins upon release. A few others afterwards, not on sale but after the smoke cleared and I knew what I was actually getting.

Just finished watching Skill-Ups 'Last of Us 2' review, and he could of almost been talking about Fallout 4 when it released - quite amusing.

I am entertaining the notion that the "real" me is actually living in a futuristic utopia where everything I could want is at my finger tips.

And that the present reality is a simulation deliberately designed to be shitty and depressing as part of a therapy to remind my 'real' self how good I have it.

13 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

Humans should work on stemming the outbreak of stupid before devising means of turning humans into even bigger idiots or ensuring that they remain eternally idiotic (literally).

While I do agree with you, immortality doesn't mean invincibility. Stop slapping warning labels on everything and stop rubber padding society and the idiots would sort themselves out.

1 hour ago, Azzhat said:

1 hour ago, FauxFurry said:

If you fix that problem (Hayflick Limit) then the division of the DNA etc will start breaking down and cancers will increase exponentially as you age beyond that. You'd have to fix the DNA fragmentation issue, then likely other issues that are caused by that fix, Basically you'd have to literally clean up and rebuild most if not all the Human DNA.

Even simple fixes done on simple creatures and plants have given strange and sometimes dangerous results... changing 100's if not 1000's of genomes would be exponentially harder.

1 hour ago, RitualClarity said:

If you fix that problem (Hayflick Limit) then the division of the DNA etc will start breaking down and cancers will increase exponentially as you age beyond that. You'd have to fix the DNA fragmentation issue, then likely other issues that are caused by that fix, Basically you'd have to literally clean up and rebuild most if not all the Human DNA.

Even simple fixes done on simple creatures and plants have given strange and sometimes dangerous results... changing 100's if not 1000's of genomes would be exponentially harder.

Well considering that alligators and crocodiles apparently don't get cancer, utilizing whatever prevents them from succumbing to the Hayflick limit would be hand in hand with that I would think.

15 hours ago, Azzhat said:

stop rubber padding society and the idiots would sort themselves out

Just the advent of medicine has had an effect on human evolution, bypassing 'Darwinian Laws' and allowing things which would have killed us to remain part of our genome. It's just an observation with implications, not a judgement call. Who wouldn't want to see family or friends (or even strangers depending on your moral fiber) saved from suffering or death if possible. But at what cost in the long run.

As far as 'stupid', luckily those issues to tend to sort themselves out, hopefully before breeding takes place.....

17 hours ago, Azzhat said:

Well considering that alligators and crocodiles apparently don't get cancer, utilizing whatever prevents them from succumbing to the Hayflick limit would be hand in hand with that I would think.

You are likely correct, however, once you do that change, you need to be aware of the changes it makes and correct anything else that comes up. That is what I was trying to come up with.  Many strange and unintended changes might occur.

31 minutes ago, RitualClarity said:

You are likely correct, however, once you do that change, you need to be aware of the changes it makes and correct anything else that comes up. That is what I was trying to come up with.  Many strange and unintended changes might occur.

Fair point. I guess the whole reason I thought about this in the first place is because my grandmother passed away just shy of a year ago due to a rather unique illness that normally targets people of a specific age group. I wonder if she was still physically young, it could've been avoided.

5 hours ago, Azzhat said:

Fair point. I guess the whole reason I thought about this in the first place is because my grandmother passed away just shy of a year ago due to a rather unique illness that normally targets people of a specific age group. I wonder if she was still physically young, it could've been avoided.

Sorry to h ear your grandmother passed away a short time ago. It does make people ponder.

Possibly, however, cell youth is only one part of youth.  Take the Covid situation, some info is coming out that specific blood types can give you some added protection or worse, added complications due to how the illness is functioning. I bring this up because they are talking about various other contributors like Hypertension etc. etc being an issue however, almost nobody is mentioning this. I'd also wonder if previous exposure to other Covid type virius would give you some protections as well. See there are so many different variables to consider.

So many unknowns with changing genetics such as how much damage it does to the structure?  Now on that point, one thing that can be done is Breeding people with the best traits present generation after generation and eliminating undesirable traits. This can create a much more healthy species. Doesn't have to be extreme ... just focusing on genetic pre- disposition to various illnesses. We have learned contributing genetic factors across many serious illnesses. Just work to get the weakness to various illnesses and physical limitations out of the general population would make a great deal of headway in to longevity as well as general overall health during most of a persons life.

1 minute ago, RitualClarity said:

Sorry to h ear your grandmother passed away a short time ago. It does make people ponder.

Possibly, however, cell youth is only one part of youth.  Take the Covid situation, some info is coming out that specific blood types can give you some added protection or worse, added complications due to how the illness is functioning. I bring this up because they are talking about various other contributors like Hypertension etc. etc being an issue however, almost nobody is mentioning this. I'd also wonder if previous exposure to other Covid type virius would give you some protections as well. See there are so many different variables to consider.

So many unknowns with changing genetics such as how much damage it does to the structure?  Now on that point, one thing that can be done is Breeding people with the best traits present generation after generation and eliminating undesirable traits. This can create a much more healthy species. Doesn't have to be extreme ... just focusing on genetic pre- disposition to various illnesses. We have learned contributing genetic factors across many serious illnesses. Just work to get the weakness to various illnesses and physical limitations out of the general population would make a great deal of headway in to longevity as well as general overall health during most of a persons life.

Yeah, eugenics isn't really something I can support, considering that a lot of major scientific breakthroughs were made by people born with physical and mental disabilities. Albert Einstein and Steven Hawkings are the first two that come to mind. I myself have multiple undesirable physical and mental disabilities. But I have no desire to have any offspring, should that ever become an option. Being autistic, suffering from depression, anxiety, arthritis, and many other issues is not something I wish a child to experience. I hate myself and what I am. I refuse to force another to deal with that too.