What's on your mind?

20 minutes ago, GimmeBACON said:

Do people ever start being unique?

Nihil Novi Sub Solem

Pessimistic think. Or is that realistic think? One can be boring but still unique. Think of it like a king's jester. The king is tired of the jester and his dumb shenanigans but there is nobody quite like the jester in the king's court.

47 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

Skyrim has become Crashrim again.  CTD for no reason, perpetual loading screens, game freezes when going from an exterior into an interior, etc.  It's Nov 2011 all over again.

Turn it off and, importantly, not back on again. If that doesn't work you did it wrong - but don't worry, just try the instruction from the start again.

41 minutes ago, spoonsinger said:

Turn it off and, importantly, not back on again. If that doesn't work you did it wrong - but don't worry, just try the instruction from the start again.

During my entire time of playing Witcher3 on max graphics settings, hair physics enabled AND an ENB I only had one crash; I was running with the sword out in tall grass using Igni and setting about 6 bandits on fire.  It was just too much.  In Skyrim, walking down a road is sometimes too much.  FO4 and the city of Boston was much-much worse.  Bethesda devs SUCK at their jobs.

16 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Pessimistic think. Or is that realistic think? One can be boring but still unique. Think of it like a king's jester. The king is tired of the jester and his dumb shenanigans but there is nobody quite like the jester in the king's court.

Everybody's unique in the most superficial of ways, and it's little more than peacocking to present such differences and claim to be "unique" No two snowflakes are the same? Introduce a little heat.

Imagine living in the Incredibles world, having powers, being truly special, and having to hide it whilst everybody else is celebrated for being "special" in the most menial and superficial ways. 

6 hours ago, GimmeBACON said:

Everybody's unique in the most superficial of ways, and it's little more than peacocking to present such differences and claim to be "unique" No two snowflakes are the same? Introduce a little heat.

Imagine living in the Incredibles world, having powers, being truly special, and having to hide it whilst everybody else is celebrated for being "special" in the most menial and superficial ways. 

By unique I only went by the first Oxford dictionary definition "Being the only one of its kind; unlike anything else." but looking back on it there was another definition that means special. In terms of media unique characters are not going away. How well these characters are presented depends on if the writer is good or else their stories won't sell. If you still don't like it then it is a matter of taste. Advertising is a whole different kind of mess though.?

But I'm still skeptical that things will turn out the way implied in the Incredibles. Talent is still highly celebrated such as Superbowl Sunday and the Olympics. I guess that society does still reward mediocrity but c'mon is that anything new? People like Jim Carrey are put in the spotlight for I don't know entertaining somebody's two month year old child by making stupid faces. Thank you Jim.

16 hours ago, Darkpig said:

But I'm still skeptical that things will turn out the way implied in the Incredibles. Talent is still highly celebrated such as Superbowl Sunday and the Olympics. I guess that society does still reward mediocrity but c'mon is that anything new? People like Jim Carrey are put in the spotlight for I don't know entertaining somebody's two month year old child by making stupid faces. Thank you Jim.

Wait, I think you mean Jerry Lewis ...........oh now I see..................

Just now, spoonsinger said:

Bulleit Bourbon post mid summers night is a hell of a drink! (when consumed appropriately - e.g. a bottle). ?

I prefer a Velvet Elvis; rock glass, crystal ice, 2 fingers of bourbon, a splash of cola, a drizzle of Chambord and top it off with sweet and sour mix.  Perfect for a hot day or soothing hurt butts.

Goddamned Skyrim scripting and functions.  I made a few custom hirelings, jumped through the flaming hoops and OF COURSE they won't use the followers' dialogues after they're hired.  They follow, but I can't ask them to wait and I can't dismiss them.  BUT if I remove the garbage that makes them hirelings and just leave them as followers everything works.

I spent two hours today adding factions, making new globals and scripting...and I got jack-shit to show for it.

Edited by Kendo 2
52 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

Goddamned Skyrim scripting and functions.  I made a few custom hirelings, jumped through the flaming hoops and OF COURSE they won't use the followers' dialogues after they're hired.  They follow, but I can't ask them to wait and I can't dismiss them.  BUT if I remove the garbage that makes them hirelings and just leave them as followers everything works.

I spent two hours today adding factions, making new globals and scripting...and I got jack-shit to show for it.

Remember "It just works"

By the way, I love the fact that they use Wabbajack as a cane in the video...

I don't know why I bother modding Skyrim sometimes.  I had an idea for a mod so I did a test with a new NPC, a new patrol package, new faction and new patrol idles markers.  I had everything set up EXACTLY like they are in the vanilla game; nothing clever, nothing fancy.  Walk from Whiterun to Windelm via the north road to Lorius Farm, Nightgate Inn and Anga's Mill.  East-peasy, except the NPC walked east, paid a visit to the necromancer at the Ritual Stone, slaughtered all the bandits at Valtheim Towers, etc.  He walked 3/4 of the way to Riften before heading north to Windhelm.

I know how to set up packages, link references, set ownership, etc.  NONE of that shit mattered.  Fuck Skyrim.

The recent shitty activities of the Nexus is making me reconsider putting my mods on there. If they're advertising their shitty premium services so be it but I can't shake the feeling they want to downright sell other people's mods and I don't want that. In fact I doubt anyone wants yet another site that takes others' content and sells it as their own. Being one of the biggest if not the biggest modding site to date doesn't make it any better.

I know in another thread I talked about the joys of the chaos of business but at the same time this just makes me sad. Modding is just a hobby for me and as cheesy as it sounds I would rather have them be enjoyed by the community than sold. All may enjoy and none may profit!?

Okay got carried away there. But there we go. This is what is on my mind.

On 7/13/2021 at 12:59 AM, KoolHndLuke said:

Anybody ever had their username stolen? Not that big a deal, but still kind of annoying. :classic_tongue:

I've been online since the turn of the century and have used this name for as long so there are a few people who re-use the name from time-to-time, some of whom might not have been born when I first made use of it.

Then again, I've used enough screen names to the point where some have never been re-used (some of which reference things are too out of date for anyone to bother with...well, unless some youngster/hipster wants to play like Videotape is the greatest form of recording media of all time ironically).

I've gathered that many of you here have little fondness for MxR so I wondered immediately what you would think about this news after seeing it myself.

Sure, his MxR mods channel still exists but he has not touched that one in weeks. He might need to return to that channel to make ends meet. You wouldn't want that, would you?!

On 7/17/2021 at 7:09 AM, Kendo 2 said:

Skyrim-related on YT

"In here, in this very grotto, in this peculiar cavern, we find a basket, how... peculiar... we open the basket and inside we find... a single red apple... on the ground near it we find a peculiar unique item, a unique red hood, and lying next to it, what appears to be... human.. remains. A few feet away a bed. On the bed... a wolf pelt... TOP 10 DEEP BETHESDA EASTER EGGS