What's on your mind?

1 hour ago, Kendo 2 said:

'Truth' over facts.

Problem is that the winner writes history, and these people are so bold (and becoming more so each day) that they have not won yet, still they rewrite history today that happened only yesterday, and no one is to question them. You are shouted down, canceled or banned. 

What is true, is what they tell you is true. What is fact... same. 

On 7/18/2021 at 5:01 PM, FauxFurry said:

That would be the proverbial "Crabs in the Bucket" mentality (which is related to be slightly distinct from "Tall Poppy Syndrome")which is the biggest obstacle to success that anyone could hope to overcome, but it from one's community or from within one's family. 

It seems to be one of the prime motivating factors behind drives for Equity or Social Justice. Personal work ethic and effort to improve oneself is externalized to some system designed to suppress anyone who lacks those traits and must be rooted out and destroyed no matter the cost (said cost to the tax payers of the world tend to be billions yearly, not accounting for lost productivity and damages incurred during periods of social unrest, of course).

Too many words to explain the simple phenomenon called idiocy. Crossword puzzles cost tax payers billions...

Okay then...

13 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

Too many words to explain the simple phenomenon called idiocy. Crossword puzzles cost tax payers billions...

Okay then...

I am sure that you know good and well that those are two separate yet tangentially connected thoughts.

It would be hilarious if crossword puzzles were a form of government 'pork', though. Would one have to shorten each answer or remove answers altogether to reduce the budget greatly?

Thinking of thinking or rather, being required to not do too much thinking to enjoy something, I am left wondering how many bits of popular media have not regressed to the Gilligan's Island era 'Check Your Brain at the Door' levels of simple minded sloppy writing. It can be fun to watch someone overthink said shows, however, something which perhaps evens it all out.

3 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

I am sure that you know good and well that those are two separate yet tangentially connected thoughts.

It would be hilarious if crossword puzzles were a form of government 'pork', though. Would one have to shorten each answer or remove answers altogether to reduce the budget greatly?

Tangent indeed. It would be hilarious if it actually happened which it won't. It is the job of the people making the crossword puzzles to make their product accessible but if said product is too accessible it would simply be steam rolled by another company.

15 hours ago, LadySmoks said:

@FauxFurry, @Darkpig, laugh... but sadly you both know that if someone decided they could harvest enough votes by making crossword puzzles a "free" government program, they would do it. ?

Government crossword puzzles... huh...

A Ten letter word that means the obstructing or delaying of legislative action, especially by prolonged speechmaking.

No you're right. That would suck.

1 hour ago, Darkpig said:

Government crossword puzzles... huh...

A Ten letter word that means the obstructing or delaying of legislative action, especially by prolonged speechmaking.

No you're right. That would suck.

Filibuste...wait. Does answering that count as engaging in politics? That does suck. 

While I acknowledge that there is amusement to be had in cultural commentators thinking harder about a work of fiction harder than the writers did, I can have a greater appreciation for someone stepping outside of their comfort zone to examine something which was carefully crafted for its content rather than its craftmanship. 

Spoiler

This kind of thoughtful critique of character actions and motivations can be immensely helpful to any aspiring writers out there as it can help one to determine exactly where the boundary between the redeemable and irredeemable for negative character traits or outright abominable atrocities lies and whether or not they determine choice in whether those actions are solely to be attributed to major characters who are set up to become antagonists or if recurring supporting characters can be guilty of acts of true villainy yet avoid rejection by the audience. 

43 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

While I acknowledge that there is amusement to be had in cultural commentators thinking harder about a work of fiction harder than the writers did, I can have a greater appreciation for someone stepping outside of their comfort zone to examine something which was carefully crafted for its content rather than its craftmanship. 

This kind of thoughtful critique of character actions and motivations can be immensely helpful to any aspiring writers out there as it can help one to determine exactly where the boundary between the redeemable and irredeemable for negative character traits or outright abominable atrocities lies and whether or not they determine choice in whether those actions are solely to be attributed to major characters who are set up to become antagonists or if recurring supporting characters can be guilty of acts of true villainy yet avoid rejection by the audience. 

I liked the Fullmetal Alchemist video you posted. Here is a wall of words: First let it be said that purely good characters are boring. Even characters written as paragons have reasons to stumble from time to time and may even have the capacity to do evil and no I'm not arguing for or against free will so I will leave that to philosophers to argue themselves to death. Sorry that was harsh?. Add another sin to my pile next to the fact that I never watched Fullmetal Alchemist. It was totally spoiled to me anyway. But anyway as for the subject explained in the video, defying the military is hard due to the harsh punishments faced for disobeying orders. I can see why the army makes it that way though. A moments hesitation could cost many a soldiers' life. I truly do believe that orders should not be blindly followed when it comes to harming others. I remember hearing that the author of the manga was trying to write the Fullmetal Alchemist for shock value to shake up the rest of the stoic faced Japanese people to actually show some goddamn emotion. Not sure if such claims are true but that sounds about right. Take it with a grain of salt.

On 7/23/2021 at 1:36 AM, Horatius_PL said:

Activision lawsuit. Such obvious pile of bullshit like from a bad fanfic but people will eat that shit up.

And i say that as someone who despises both Blizzard and Activision..

This is all we need to know about the case and pretty much guarantees a conviction. 

"In the lawsuit, state officials accuse the top executives at Activision Blizzard, all White males, .............."

Edited by steelpanther24
On 7/23/2021 at 2:50 AM, Darkpig said:

I liked the Fullmetal Alchemist video you posted. Here is a wall of words: First let it be said that purely good characters are boring. Even characters written as paragons have reasons to stumble from time to time and may even have the capacity to do evil and no I'm not arguing for or against free will so I will leave that to philosophers to argue themselves to death. Sorry that was harsh?. Add another sin to my pile next to the fact that I never watched Fullmetal Alchemist. It was totally spoiled to me anyway. But anyway as for the subject explained in the video, defying the military is hard due to the harsh punishments faced for disobeying orders. I can see why the army makes it that way though. A moments hesitation could cost many a soldiers' life. I truly do believe that orders should not be blindly followed when it comes to harming others. I remember hearing that the author of the manga was trying to write the Fullmetal Alchemist for shock value to shake up the rest of the stoic faced Japanese people to actually show some goddamn emotion. Not sure if such claims are true but that sounds about right. Take it with a grain of salt.

I never saw this cartoon, but what you said about the need of a character who is good but stumbles from time to time, is true. Perhaps a child will not understand, but adults see the flaws, not as weakness, but as things we all overcome. Batman lost his parents and it messed him up... and his bat phobia... Even Superman has Kryptonite. On the reverse, I find that villains with tragic back stories are also the best, and without, are just cardboard cutouts at a shooting range. Some horrible event... a crossroad... from happy baby/ child to psycho. Truth is that some new Hollywood movies are not written with stories or characters as interesting as some Marvel films... or perhaps old Japanese cartoons.

One Piece just became the second best selling piece of print graphic story telling ('comic book')of all time right behind the Super Man franchise, making it the top selling single author graphic medium series of all time.

Meanwhile in the USA, American 'comic book' creators not only seem to be unable figure out how to replicate the success of their overseas counterparts, they can not even recall the accomplishments of their forebears on the simplest things, even how diverse their industry and the stories in it have been or for how long.

9 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Oh, the wokeness.

The main character of Desert Punk shifts from Anti-Hero to outright villain at the 3/4 mark of the series and is replaced by his young female ward yet it still worked due to it not being done to push some agenda. It was funny to have the little girl and the sexual deviant rival of the formerly morally ambiguous main character team up to defeat him in the end. That is all there was to it. 

Execution and Motivation are everything. 

19 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

Execution and Motivation are everything. 

Like diversity-hire space Jesus 'Michael' in StarTrek Discovery.  That character is responsible for everything good and noble in the StarTrek universe...because current year woke FUCK HEADS retconned 40+ years of lore to make it that way.

6 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

Like diversity-hire space Jesus 'Michael' in StarTrek Discovery.  That character is responsible for everything good and noble in the StarTrek universe...because current year woke FUCK HEADS retconned 40+ years of lore to make it that way.

Yes. Earlier female captains in Star Trek were not there to make any 'Woke' points but to provide some variety and possibly an increased sense of realism (some captains are bound to be women by that time period), the contrast between them and Michael prove that Motivation behind a character's motivation and Execution of the stories themselves make all of the difference in positivity of reception of the characters and plot points. 

2 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

Taxation is theft. Kimball uses armed goons to collect taxes. That makes it armed robbery. Armed robbery is met with lethal force in mist civilized societies. 

And armed robbery becomes taxes when you lack the ability to defend yourself. "No taxation without representation"... every state taxes it's residents, and if you are the minority in your state, you're being taxed without being represented. Just look at Oregon, every other counties vote is irrelevant because of one city, a city which votes in a way that actively hurts everyone else, but they have a majority. The rest of the state actively pays into a system that takes from them and gives them nothing.

Edited by GimmeBACON
12 hours ago, LadySmoks said:

I never saw this cartoon, but what you said about the need of a character who is good but stumbles from time to time, is true. Perhaps a child will not understand, but adults see the flaws, not as weakness, but as things we all overcome. Batman lost his parents and it messed him up... and his bat phobia... Even Superman has Kryptonite. On the reverse, I find that villains with tragic back stories are also the best, and without, are just cardboard cutouts at a shooting range. Some horrible event... a crossroad... from happy baby/ child to psycho. Truth is that some new Hollywood movies are not written with stories or characters as interesting as some Marvel films... or perhaps old Japanese cartoons.

Batman used to be more about fighting bad guys so no other child would have to go through what he had to go through from what I heard anyway. Dressing as bat to beat up bad guys is a bit crazy if you think about it but then again who am I to judge what a guy does in his free time? Having a child see something horrible does leave some emotional scars and it can be a good cliché if used right.

I do agree that villains are generally one of two flavors, either incredibly nuanced or evil for the sake of being evil. But I will have to disagree that pure evil villains is bad writing. Pure evil villains can be used in stories correctly as something to compete against the protagonist of the story who we are generally following anyway. One generally doesn't watch a movie for the side characters kind of thing. And besides even cardboard cutouts lets say the Joker have some personality as in the Joker's case it is simply desire, desire to torture, murder and stuff but desire nonetheless. You can even find real life examples out there. I won't say which ones I am thinking of for even the scum of the earth has their fans but as I said before, pure evil villains fill in a role and isn't that what really matters?

2 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Batman used to be more about fighting bad guys so no other child would have to go through what he had to go through from what I heard anyway. Dressing as bat to beat up bad guys is a bit crazy if you think about it but then again who am I to judge what a guy does in his free time? Having a child see something horrible does leave some emotional scars and it can be a good cliché if used right.

I do agree that villains are generally one of two flavors, either incredibly nuanced or evil for the sake of being evil. But I will have to disagree that pure evil villains is bad writing. Pure evil villains can be used in stories correctly as something to compete against the protagonist of the story who we are generally following anyway. One generally doesn't watch a movie for the side characters kind of thing. And besides even cardboard cutouts lets say the Joker have some personality as in the Joker's case it is simply desire, desire to torture, murder and stuff but desire nonetheless. You can even find real life examples out there. I won't say which ones I am thinking of for even the scum of the earth has their fans but as I said before, pure evil villains fill in a role and isn't that what really matters?

Professor Geek would call that villain archetype that The Joker falls into Elemental Evil.