Microsoft bought Zenimax/Bethesda

Damn. If they were willing to put out 7.5 billion for Zenimax/Bethesda then I'd be surprised if they don't end up buying more studios as well. Also, Microsoft already owned Obsidian at this point so now both Obsidian and the Fallout IP are under their control, would be interesting to see if Obsidian will end up doing the next Fallout as a result.

If MS acquires Zenimax that means the suit investors at Providence will be out of the picture.  It also means stock information will be available for the first time.  Zenimax;s 'private holdings' and other shenanigans won't fly.

19 minutes ago, Molevalence said:

At least it was not EA. :P

After FO4 and FO76 maybe game company killer EA would have been a better fit.

Well, now. Didn't see that coming.

Interesting to see what this means to Game Studios games, the rest i'd imagine continue as they have been.

Oh, and XBox exclusives don't exist anymore, all XBox games are released on PC as well. Only the japanese keep exclusives anymore. And Epic. ?

26 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Sure....as an xbox exclusive maybe- which is one thing they've been criticized for compared to Sony. Hello bland mainstream- goodbye niche pc.

That would be terrible. Removing TES from PC to make an exclusive XBOX game, well, it would be dumb.

What made Skyrim able to transcend the decade was its modding community above all.
Without that, we would have been talking about the game for 1 year or even 2, at best.

Besides that what Bethesda has done since Skyrim?
FO4 and FO76?
I do not take TESO into account.
It's been about 4 years since we should have had TES6.

I can't say that Microsoft will do better, but we might as well wait for announcements about the next games.

52 minutes ago, Fotogen said:

No more Elder Scrolls for PlayStation?

Does this includes Elder Scrolls Online?

YES

These studios are part of the Takeover::

Bethesda Game Studios (Starfield, Elder Scrolls, Fallout)
id software (Doom)
ZeniMax Online Studios (Elder Scrolls Online)
Arcane (Dishonored, Prey, Deathloop)
Tango Gameworks (The Evil Within, Ghostwire Tokyo)
MachineGames (Wolfenstein)
Alpha Dog (Mobile Games)
Roundhouse Studios (new studio)

2 minutes ago, Psalam said:

It could mean that I'll be modding Skyrim for the rest of my life because the SJWs at Microsoft will be certain that any product that they release could not possibly be modded in a NSFW manner.

Not sure what "SJW" has do with it. You can be a progressive and still like sex, you know?

But yes, Microsoft is probably going to play it even more "safe" than Beth, so the question of what will happen with our kind of mods, is really a good one.

45 minutes ago, JyJyporridge said:

I can't say that Microsoft will do better, but we might as well wait for announcements about the next games.

Might as well find something else to do since they won't announce anything until spring of '21. As far as the "exclusive" thing, I was just reading an article that mentioned that as one of many possible reasons. Whatever the reasons, pretty sure this isn't good news for modding. We know mods are what have kept Beth games alive all these years. Beth has already seemed to have forgotten that inconvenient truth. What do I think will happen? Games will look better, run better (be better overall? nah). But, you won't be modding them.

Skyrim will stand as the last great modded Beth game.

1 hour ago, firepunch1 said:

Microsoft already owned Obsidian at this point so now both Obsidian and the Fallout IP are under their control, would be interesting to see if Obsidian will end up doing the next Fallout as a result.

There was a time when that would have been an exciting prospect.  However, Obsidian has spent the last couple of years gutting its staff of talented writers and developers and what remains is a hollow shell.  They're not as bad off as BioWare -- Josh Sawyer still works at Obsidian for example -- but they're already producing watered down crap like The Outer Worlds instead of the truly cutting edge games they were known for.

TL;DR don't expect Microsoft to make a worthy sequel to FNV.