Microsoft bought Zenimax/Bethesda

14 minutes ago, Sillius_Maximus said:

Honestly, what's to stop MS from coming out with a new statement from legal  that effectively shuts down nexus / LL   tomorrow morning?

previoulsy bethesda said "No fallout 4 assets in skyrim, no skyrim assets in fo4" or something to that effect....  whats to stop  "no fallout4 assets in any third party mod"?

MS wouldn't do that because there isn't anything to gain from it and they would piss off huge numbers of players.

Bethesda is legally required to prevent the sharing of assets between games, because many of those assets are developed by others and used under a license which only applies to one game.  They can't just ignore it, because a copyright holder has to defend against infringement or risk being found to have abandoned the copyright.

But for new games?  MS might well decide that they don't want to spend time and money releasing development tools, or decide that they don't want their games associated with mods that don't follow their ethical vision, or that they just want to be in control of the whole thing.  This is definitely not good news.

52 minutes ago, Visio Diaboli said:

TES6 has been in development for some time, which would imply to me that it's probably built on an engine based off of the previous engines, and thus moddable. If MS does say 'no more mods,' I don't think it'll actually be feasible to enforce until after TES6. At that point hopefully there are some new moddable games.

I have some hope that Isles of Adalar will be good.  The team seems committed to supporting modding so that's encouraging.

4 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

What F?

Way less of an F with M$ than zenimax.

1 hour ago, Kimy said:

Not sure what "SJW" has do with it. You can be a progressive and still like sex, you know?

Might wanna check media more often because being "progressive" and sex positive ended about 2005.

5 minutes ago, 27X said:

What F?

Way less of an F with M$ then zenimax.

Depends. Zenimax has made pretty questionable decisions in the last years - paid mods for Skyrim, Fallout 4, creation club, Fallout 76. It's probably safe to assume they would've gone down that path much further but MS isn't exactly known to be pro consumer, either. I don't think they've given up on the idea to turn windows PCs into a closed system like every other console.

1 hour ago, EgoBallistic said:

There was a time when that would have been an exciting prospect.  However, Obsidian has spent the last couple of years gutting its staff of talented writers and developers and what remains is a hollow shell.  They're not as bad off as BioWare -- Josh Sawyer still works at Obsidian for example -- but they're already producing watered down crap like The Outer Worlds instead of the truly cutting edge games they were known for.

TL;DR don't expect Microsoft to make a worthy sequel to FNV.

That occurred before M$ bought them.

depends

There is no depends. M$ is far FAR more hands off than Zenimax was, and unlike Zenimax most of the people in charge have history in gaming. Halo Infinite wouldn't come out under zenimanx and it sure as hell wouldn't go back under the hood for "retooling", it would go into a basement never to be seen again, and the whole team would be currently working for Devolver at half the wages.

Zenimax was an open trashfire of greed and includes a board with two diagnosed sociopaths. They won't be missed, and they're literally redundant now.

33 minutes ago, 27X said:

M$ is far FAR more hands off than Zenimax was, and unlike Zenimax most of the people in charge have history in gaming.

Seems true from what I'm reading- I mean their bread and butter is and has always been software development and they seem to know their boundaries to stay successful. Does this mean that Beth might actually get their shit together?

4 minutes ago, KoolHndLuke said:

Seems true from what I'm reading- I mean their bread and butter is and has always been software development and they seem to know their boundaries to stay successful. Does this mean that Beth might actually get their shit together?

This from the man who reminded us:

“Uncertainty is an uncomfortable position. But certainty is an absurd one.”

Voltaire

Maybe.

Bethesda is insulated as hell, and now that Zenimax has installed people like Hines as fixtures, I'm not expecting a renaissance either way; point of fact being expecting open and a unshackled mod ecosystem on SF and T6 is just as speculative and froofroo as any prediction of doom and gloom under M$ is.

I'm not going to make any kind of judgement until I see actual consumer class product, and a press release of "commitment to modding" doesn't mean shit to me. I need to see SKUs and tool hooks.

Well, microsoft has killed 2 IP's I loved (Conker and Fable, even though lionhead helped themselves along that path) I kinda see them doing the same here possibly as they have bought IP in the past from other companies only for them to run them into the dirt. The only take away from this I see is that in regards to Fallout 4, Skyrim and previous released titles is that likely they won't care (hopefully) to disrupt the established modding communities around theses released games as they are. Now hopefully they don't start some moral/social crusade on the community which they shouldn't because people for the most part like playing these games because of the mods. I could care less for the vanilla parts of these games, doing something to disrupt and destroy the modding community would be pretty stupid for them to do after spending 7 mill that includes one out of many IP they bought that has an strong consumer base because of customization and great talent they poured into it. I'd like to be optimistic, but the mother of idiots is always giving birth leaving behind illegitimate bastards the keys to ruin everything.   

Microsoft buying any studio or company is a disaster for that company and it's products since they have a history of killing of franchises and closing the doors of many studios they had bought, After ES6 and Starfield things will go down hill real quick and that's if they don't ruin both of them on launch by doing something stupid like limiting or removing the modding scene or forcing the studios to release the games unfinished.

Microsoft has not reached Konami's graveyard level of dead franchises yet but them buying Bethesda will make that graveyard 10x bigger than Konami's.

Well, given Zenimax's current situation the buyout is well-timed.  While FO4 and FO76 were money makers the damage Bethesda's reputation is irreversible unless some big changes are made.  Add on to that COVID shutdowns and Bethesda becomes a dead albatross.  Are their offices even open at this point?

Also, Zenimax is a parent company so the buyout means they're no longer needed (or wanted).  The salaried executives will probably get yellow slips and a 'here's your severance package' deal just to get rid of them.  Lateral moves from parent to parent almost never happen.

4 hours ago, JyJyporridge said:

That would be terrible. Removing TES from PC to make an exclusive XBOX game, well, it would be dumb.

What made Skyrim able to transcend the decade was its modding community above all.
Without that, we would have been talking about the game for 1 year or even 2, at best.

? You had me laughing so hard with that comment.  1 year or even 2 at best" lol... they would have likely been forgotten as soon as a major block buster came along. Sure there would be some that play it. Some still play many old games still.. doesn't mean it will be actually relevant. That is the key IMO. They would have been put to the side. Getting Game of the year... that would have been a serious stretch.

4 hours ago, winny257 said:

I spin a little further.
what if microsoft the old games *Elder Scrolls, Fallout, etc* sells via their own platform and Steam is excluded, blocked?
and all current players have to switch to Microsoft, that could mean the end of modded games!

They can't block those games from Steam users. Not in any real way. Those that own the game currently. Only games that get removed are those that Steam is legally required to remove and I can't see any legal reason for that to happen. (Legal reasons being something was done against the law)  I can see Steam really fighting tooth and nail against that.  Future purchases however, might be something to be concerned with. Remember when Origin pulled their games from Steam?

3 hours ago, EgoBallistic said:

There was a time when that would have been an exciting prospect.  However, Obsidian has spent the last couple of years gutting its staff of talented writers and developers and what remains is a hollow shell.  They're not as bad off as BioWare -- Josh Sawyer still works at Obsidian for example -- but they're already producing watered down crap like The Outer Worlds instead of the truly cutting edge games they were known for.

TL;DR don't expect Microsoft to make a worthy sequel to FNV.

Obsidian might be the only real choice ... that or CD Project Red but I suspect their next game to be a bit watered down from the Witcher series as they are trying to become more mainstream. (also seem to be caving in to SJW influences)  I don't see Microsoft doing anything worthy... The only think I can hope for is who ever was the person making all those horrible decisions are gone and that there are some there will talent that MS will allow to do their jobs now.  I do see MS keeping out of the development and production process barring executive guidelines

31 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

OH!  And aren't the new consoles coming out soon?  Auspicious timing.

Yep... got to fill the ranks against the PS5.  Also interesting that they (MS) added game modding to the Xbox recently ;)  Weak compared to a PC but.... I see them improving on that. If they have the intent on proctoring the XBOX and mods.. (likely getting a cut of the $) This makes sense.