Microsoft bought Zenimax/Bethesda

43 minutes ago, MIJ said:

I have seen a lot of phrases like this lately so let me throw my two cents on this idea:

Let's be honest, that's unrealistic and will never happen. There isn't a single open source engine out there that could offer the same level of ease of modding and scale like Skyrim and Fallout 4 have given us, even Godot is still way too early in it's life cycle to offer us the necessary optimized tools to create the next big action 3D open world game,

And even if we somehow compromise in what we can create you still need a lot of 3D modelers, animators, programmers, level designers, etc, to create an open source game with an open source game engine that's both interesting and fun for people to pick up and have a lot of ready to use assets and tools for modders to use. You'd need a community as dedicated and well coordinated like Space Station 13 or UnityStation to pull that off without the project dying half way through.

Part of the reason why Zenimax games are still loved until this day is because of the Creation Kit and how they allowed you to use every asset and tool in their fun games to create whatever you wanted, it's that ease of modding that made everyone happy, if they (MS) take it away, gamers won't be able to find it or recreate it elsewhere.

I have always dreamed of someone creating the basics of a game.  Game engine, graphics ect... Then let people from LL download and add to it.  It would be a community project. 

Bethesda and other companies could have hundreds of developers on their team.  How many of them work on simply placing rocks?  How many people work on varied quests?  Our modders would become developers.   Other modders might hear and join us in this endevour.   The modding community is huge with many talented people.  Many, I'm sure, never post their mods anywhere, so are not even known.  Look at the modders for Skyrim.  The HD overhaul that was done to all the world object.  Someone enhanced all the rocks.  I mean, modders have done a lot of work, changing nearly every graphic in Skyrim.  How much more satisfying if they were actually developing a gaming world and not just modding someone else's creation?  

The biggest part, other than the game engine, would be the creation of the gaming world.  A world with multiple kingdoms perhaps.  There should not be "a main quest".  There should be several main (epic) quests that the modders could come up with, as well as a good variety of small quests.  Keep it simple.  No leveled lists.  A level one character should be able to encounter a dragon if they travel too far into the wilderness.  Will they survive?  Oh hell no.  But that would be simpler and also more realistic. 

I dream of a game that keeps evolving over time.  A game that addresses what gamers want.  And NO OUTFITS!  That is one my biggest complaints with the latest games.  I would like a left shoe and a right shoe.  If they are uneven, your character walks funny.  Character customization has always been one the biggest desires for gamers.  This is your avatar.  If you ever played Dungeon and Dragons (not the computer games) you know how involved a person can become with their character.   I've seen two friends not speak to each other for months because one did something to the other's character in game.  (Some people get a bit carried away)

And, since the game would not be associated with any company, nobody needs to worry about PR.

6 minutes ago, Celedhring said:

Show of hands time.  WHich organization has more bugs in their products...Microsoft or Bethseda?

That's simple.  Bethesda.  Bethesda just wants to throw something on the market to make their money.  Even if it's largely untested.

Microsoft has at least some intelligence when it comes to the long play.  Devious intelligence, but still intelligence.

35 minutes ago, MIJ said:

Okay I need some conformation on this, is vanilla Bethesda games really that bad?

I played Skyrim LE, Fallout 3 and New Vegas without community patches (completely vanilla) on my first runs and I never really encountered any major problems except on new vegas where the robot at the ending got stuck halfway through the battle. I only install them because some mods require them and because every tutorial I read on how to make your game stable after installing 100+ mods said I need the patches.

I bought Skyrim when it first came out.  It was unplayable.  Some of the shadows kaleidoscoped my monitor.  It was a mod with higher def graphics that fixed this problem. 

And we keep being told to clean our mods to keep Skyrim stable.  Bethesda has dirty edits in all their esm files.

55 minutes ago, cailic said:

I have always dreamed of someone creating the basics of a game.  Game engine, graphics ect... Then let people from LL download and add to it.  It would be a community project. 

Bethesda and other companies could have hundreds of developers on their team.  How many of them work on simply placing rocks?  How many people work on varied quests?  Our modders would become developers.   Other modders might hear and join us in this endevour.   The modding community is huge with many talented people.  Many, I'm sure, never post their mods anywhere, so are not even known.  Look at the modders for Skyrim.  The HD overhaul that was done to all the world object.  Someone enhanced all the rocks.  I mean, modders have done a lot of work, changing nearly every graphic in Skyrim.  How much more satisfying if they were actually developing a gaming world and not just modding someone else's creation?  

The biggest part, other than the game engine, would be the creation of the gaming world.  A world with multiple kingdoms perhaps.  There should not be "a main quest".  There should be several main (epic) quests that the modders could come up with, as well as a good variety of small quests.  Keep it simple.  No leveled lists.  A level one character should be able to encounter a dragon if they travel too far into the wilderness.  Will they survive?  Oh hell no.  But that would be simpler and also more realistic. 

I dream of a game that keeps evolving over time.  A game that addresses what gamers want.  And NO OUTFITS!  That is one my biggest complaints with the latest games.  I would like a left shoe and a right shoe.  If they are uneven, your character walks funny.  Character customization has always been one the biggest desires for gamers.  This is your avatar.  If you ever played Dungeon and Dragons (not the computer games) you know how involved a person can become with their character.   I've seen two friends not speak to each other for months because one did something to the other's character in game.  (Some people get a bit carried away)

And, since the game would not be associated with any company, nobody needs to worry about PR.

Dreams can become reality one day, if you have resources needed to make that dream a reality. A great example of that would be Space Station 13 which fits exactly what you're dreaming of right now.

If one day LL decided to peruse that dream as a community together then sign me up, the more people that can work on that dream the more likely it will become a reality.

58 minutes ago, cailic said:

I bought Skyrim when it first came out.  It was unplayable.  Some of the shadows kaleidoscoped my monitor.  It was a mod with higher def graphics that fixed this problem. 

And we keep being told to clean our mods to keep Skyrim stable.  Bethesda has dirty edits in all their esm files.

A friend bought Skyrim for me a year ago so I didn't experience how bad the release version was, but in my experience with current steam version of LE I pretty much haven't encountered anything game breaking that I could remember in vanilla skyrim.

11 hours ago, MIJ said:

I have seen a lot of phrases like this lately so let me throw my two cents on this idea:

Let's be honest, that's unrealistic and will never happen. There isn't a single open source engine out there that could offer the same level of ease of modding and scale like Skyrim and Fallout 4 have given us, even Godot is still way too early in it's life cycle to offer us the necessary optimized tools to create the next big action 3D open world game,

And even if we somehow compromise in what we can create you still need a lot of 3D modelers, animators, programmers, level designers, etc, to create an open source game with an open source game engine that's both interesting and fun for people to pick up and have a lot of ready to use assets and tools for modders to use. You'd need a community as dedicated and well coordinated like Space Station 13 or UnityStation to pull that off without the project dying half way through.

Part of the reason why Zenimax games are still loved until this day is because of the Creation Kit and how they allowed you to use every asset and tool in their fun games to create whatever you wanted, it's that ease of modding that made everyone happy, if they (MS) take it away, gamers won't be able to find it or recreate it elsewhere.

Seems to me I mostly talked about myself and about some few "modders", which did this step already, sorry.

6 hours ago, DoctaSax said:

Another year, another end to all modding.

I don't think it's going to be the end of it, I just think that we're going to be stuck with older games for modding because newer games actively try to make modding hell for everyone.

38 minutes ago, t.ara said:

Seems to me I mostly talked about myself and about some few "modders", which did this step already, sorry.

No need to apologize, people like you are the sole reason for why we still have access to high quality content for modding.

But I was being realistic, your idea is possible but I have very high doubts that talented individuals like you with various talents will group up together one day and create and finish an open source Skyrim/Fallout alternative that allows for everyone to mod in their stories, gameplay ideas and sex mods with ease.

46 minutes ago, MIJ said:

No need to apologize, people like you are the sole reason for why we still have access to high quality content for modding.

But I was being realistic, your idea is possible but I have very high doubts that talented individuals like you with various talents will group up together one day and create and finish an open source Skyrim/Fallout alternative that allows for everyone to mod in their stories, gameplay ideas and sex mods with ease.

I had doubts mostly about myself three years ago. If somebody in the past would have told me what I do now, I would give her/him the comment to tell something very "crazy" about myself. If such an accidental happening would act suddenly-I mean a nexus-LL-"lock-down", then some freaks will become VERY MUCH creative with some new and scary new results-that´s all I wanted to explain. The grouping together is one thing-finding a consence of ARTWORK is for sure the more difficult part.

It ´s indeed no bad idea to talk about alternatives-not bad, to share opinions. LL is quite massive frequented.

I don't consider myself a gamer as such but I've been playing PC games for over 20 years and it seems to me that buggy initial releases are the norm rather than a unique feature of Bethesda games.

NWN and NWN2; Rome Total War and Rome 2 Total War  - none of these were exactly bug free on initial release or for a long time after (if ever).

As for MS - W95 was a complete mess from first to last. W98 didn't get anywhere near reliable until W98SE. NT4 ran to 4 Service Packs; XP ran to 3 SPs. W2K had 2 at least (can't remember off hand).  It's a similar story for the various versions of the Office suites. W10 has been around for a few years now but is still getting regular bug fixes.

As for ES6, I would guess that what MS does with it will depend, among other considerations, on how far along it is. The way any future games are made vis-a-vis modding will depend on the type of games MS will be thinking of releasing and on the gaming market/scene at that time.

On 9/21/2020 at 7:43 PM, 27X said:

There is no depends. M$ is far FAR more hands off than Zenimax was, and unlike Zenimax most of the people in charge have history in gaming. Halo Infinite wouldn't come out under zenimanx and it sure as hell wouldn't go back under the hood for "retooling", it would go into a basement never to be seen again, and the whole team would be currently working for Devolver at half the wages.

Zenimax was an open trashfire of greed and includes a board with two diagnosed sociopaths. They won't be missed, and they're literally redundant now.

Yes depends. Their hands off approach might mean that we'll get the usual Bethesda treatment with Microsoft's market politics on top of it.

1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

W10 has been around for a few years now but is still getting regular bug fixes.

now i will tell you something, this report is from January 15, 2020.
The US secret service NSA has over Microsoft Win10 operated espionage!

https://www.tagesschau.de/ausland/microsoft-sicherheitsluecke-nsa-101.html

but then happened that, for the first time support of the NSA and no espionage. :classic_wink:

The NSA has discovered a security gap in Microsoft's Windows operating system - and immediately reported it to the affected company for the first time. Microsoft was able to close the gap.