Microsoft bought Zenimax/Bethesda

6 hours ago, firepunch1 said:

Damn. If they were willing to put out 7.5 billion for Zenimax/Bethesda then I'd be surprised if they don't end up buying more studios as well.

What are 7.5 billion, for Microsoft nothing.
this man has a private fortune of $ 116.1 billion. 

Bill_Gates_2018.jpg

I don't want to know how high the company's assets are!
and yes, one day there is only still Microsoft as a game developer. :classic_wink:

4 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

If they dump Steam it will do for me.

I doubt they'll abandon steam, they know how much more profitable it is to use steam for their games instead of the Microsoft store.

However they might sell out and make it an EGS exclusive like how they did with the Outer Worlds, and remember, Obsidian is owned by Microsoft.

Astrid: You're joking.

But a mega corporation buying up another game studio. That's always a good sign:classic_rolleyes:

4 hours ago, 27X said:

Might wanna check media more often because being "progressive" and sex positive ended about 2005.

Media's new 'progressive' can kiss my ass and so can car insurance. Sex mods are the actual new progressive.

I would assume what is most likely going to happen in terms of modding bethesda games in the future is the console and PC versions will be blended slowly at the cost of having a slightly inferior PC Port for them to have better Creation Club Integration.

I speculate the following MAY happen if all goes to shit:
-Future Bethesda games will only be available on Xbox Games Store (Xbox Games Store CURRENTLY does NOT allow you to manipulate the files WHATSOEVER) 
-However there is a planned update to allow this for specific games.
-I'm assuming they will start pushing creation club heavily on users and if it fails they will allow us to directly edit files instead of using Creation Club features
-All future modding will basically be in a drought due to their decision
-Once they fix everything nobody will even care about the games anymore or want to invest making mods on them due to the mishaps. *COUGH* Fallout 76 *COUGH*

Praying right now there will be a Steam release for future games after this acquisition and that they work with the people from Mod Organizer 2 to create a better system that merges the CC and MO but highly doubtful.

Wow, I just woke up and my girlfriend just gave me the news.  Hearing that Bethesda got bought up made me overjoyed.  Then it sank in that MS bought them.  I kind of had the impression of being trapped in a "morality cage".  

You may have noticed that computer games have gotten to be more and more politically correct over the years.  Capturing and selling slaves was rather common in older games.  Now slavery is only even mentioned via mods.  It's seems to be quickly becoming a capital offense to offend anyone's delicate sensibilities.  Screw them.  If someone chooses to be offended, that's on them.  Anyone who says that being offended is not a conscious choice is a person unwilling to take any responsibility for themselves.  But then, I see that most people allow their emotions to rule them instead of reason.  AARGH!  That's another discussion...

More to the point, Bethesda's downfall, as I see it was first, going public.  They decided to satisfy their investors desire for money more then the desires of their customers.  Another flaw I see in most people is the inability to see past the tips of their noses.  It's all about immediate gratification.  Thus, we have FO4.  The second reason Bethesda sucks, is related to the first.  They made games designed for consoles and then tried to port them to PC.  That's just backwards.  The foundation and framework were designed for a weaker platform.   I don't see MS changing this tactic. 

It's hard to guess what is going to happen with MS.  Seeing how they like to think of themselves as god of the computing universe, they may well impose their moral standards on us all.  (Microsoft has morals???)  On the other hand, they are greedy SOBs.  As stated in previous posts, Skyrim would have been a distant memory if it weren't for the modding community.   MS would be slitting the throat of their gaming revenue stream if they took modding out of the equation.  There is not a single vanilla game that I do not grow bored of after the first week of playing.  If it weren't for gaming mods, I may have given up on gaming years ago. 

I must stop now.  To me everything is connected and I am prone to tangents.   Trying to focus enough to make my points understandable is taxing my brain to the point of a headache.  I guess the underlying connection is simply greed and the idiocy of trying to please everyone by satisfying the desires of the "small interest" groups.  

Microsoft acquiring game studios is still a fairly new development. Most of the studios they have, have not gone to produce the next title of an ongoing series under microsoft from pre-microsoft era. Even educated guesses on how TES and FO will look going forward are on shaky grounds. The studios under Beth Softworks have not announced to change or merge or anything like that at any rate, so here's hoping next additions will continue to have modding tools like previously.

The only game microsoft has had for longer now and done a bunch for is Minecraft, and that wasn't a series either, just a singular title. Modding wise Minecraft never really changed though.

Now, gamepass is a pretty nifty service. Played several games on it for hella cheap. If all new beth games are gonna be on there at launch for the cost of basically pocket-change... thats a pretty good deal for PC people.

My worry isn't exactly changing TES/FO; they've already changed plenty over the years, FO3 and FO4 were already gigantically different. But rather my worry is megacorps tendency to cater to the loudest mob on the block, which usually manifests as ridiculous restrictions and rules that just end up watering down the product in fears of offending the kotaku moralitypolice and such. The smaller your company is, the less bureaucracy you need to get trough.

Once microsoft really gets their hooks into everything about six months to a year from now all those games are going to require uwp and win10 only for sure so no more bugthesda launcher and F76 will probably be dead by then. I'm sure someone important at m$ was shown a demo of starfield and some results from recently signed NDA focus groups a while back. Just think back when starfield was announced and how toady was all hot and bothered looking... then think about pete hines bad behavior over the last year and it all adds up now. This has been going on behind the scenes for over a year and those providence ppl were just waiting for the exit. Big money is moving away from a lot of things and going somewhere else almost like they know something big is coming soon.

We will get starfield and ES6 but we won't like them and probably can't mod them either so maybe no creation kit for either of them. Toady and pals could care less though since we know what happens to game companies when they get bought, all the devs retire or jump ship to some other company after a time. Toady will get his next few teslas and a bunch of money he won't have to put up with fans anymore.

I hope this burns nexus furry moderators down to the ground since beth games are the only thing keeping that site relevant.

The buy out sure explains what Zenimax was up with all the acquisitions and they were obsessing over a constant revenue  stream. But I am curious why Microsoft bought Zenimax. Games don't really seem Microsoft's thing. Maybe Microsoft wants to learn from Todd Howard how to successfully crowd source product QA.

Seriously, I doubt if they are going to torpedo game mods, that would cost money since the mods are the bug patches that make Bethesde games viable.

Back, around the mid 90's Microsoft came out with a game called... something I don't remember.  It was a resource gathering, build your civilization game.  When I saw it, I was like "Ew!  Microsoft.  It must be shallow and simplistic."  But it was probably the first game where you got see your villagers bending down to gather berries, throwing spears to take down game and chop at trees to produce lumber.  It wasn't a simplex game as I thought.  For the time, it was one of the best games of that genre, at least for a year before others of the like were released. 

Years ago, I was in a computer store with an X-box display running a demo for one of their fighting games.  I had to stop and watch because the fighters were two females.  This is the first computer game I had ever seen that had realistic titty jiggle.   I, of course didn't linger.... too long.   It kinda made me wanna buy an X-box.  But I think there were only a dozen or so games available for it at the time.  Yes, at one point during my depraved existence, I almost bought a console game! 

The point is, Microsoft can occasionally surprise us, in a positive way. 

I just hope we never get the "Surprise!  Now that you've bought OUR game, you will have to pay an annual subscription fee to play it."

7 hours ago, SexyTop69 said:

Well, microsoft has killed 2 IP's I loved (Conker and Fable, even though lionhead helped themselves along that path) I kinda see them doing the same here possibly as they have bought IP in the past from other companies only for them to run them into the dirt. The only take away from this I see is that in regards to Fallout 4, Skyrim and previous released titles is that likely they won't care (hopefully) to disrupt the established modding communities around theses released games as they are. Now hopefully they don't start some moral/social crusade on the community which they shouldn't because people for the most part like playing these games because of the mods. I could care less for the vanilla parts of these games, doing something to disrupt and destroy the modding community would be pretty stupid for them to do after spending 7 mill that includes one out of many IP they bought that has an strong consumer base because of customization and great talent they poured into it. I'd like to be optimistic, but the mother of idiots is always giving birth leaving behind illegitimate bastards the keys to ruin everything.   

Well, to all you Steam supporters, I told you so.

Game Pass is what Microsoft wants to expand on and this move was meant to bring more titles under their control- they're not worried about exclusives for the XbX/XbS. This should be good news as it means that they will still launch games across all platforms and they have included mod support for some Game Pass games- which means 3rd party or fan made mods which obviously can only be made on pc with some access to the game files. In other words, it looks like they're not going to change anything about modding as they realize a large and growing number of their consumers want them. So bottom line is if mods do well on Game Pass, then it should help put modding more into the mainstream of gaming.

As what I have  watched in comparison to the past is the fact, that companies use in between mostly LAUNCHERS to check the game-behavior of gamers, it´s of course SPY software which is mostly intelligent enough to create offensive statistics of the computer, where it´s being installed. If you buy and play a game, you agree to every terms of use and so companies can install onto your computer, what they like. What is beside doing the LAUNCHER beside in secret, nobody knows really.

Most people make them depend on such LAUNCHERS so to be able to play a game. I would set CRITICAL eyes of view onto this fact, as it is the politics of mostly all new "products" in the game industry. This methods are mostly in between OLD SCHOOL.

It´s of course a problem of the customers to buy stuff in such a way. I would think about this and buy only stuff, which is working from a single DVD with a truthfully installation without any need of internet access. Any form of UPDATES for such a game should stay in the HANDS of the user and should stay with the descision of the user only.

You should turn the wheel and not support the politics of such companies enterprises. And younger generations should KNOW that there are very good games with very much fun-level, made in the past: A modern graphics is never a garant for a good game.

This is ^ meant for PC-users: PS and X-box users are of couse at once running into the trap of companies and drop huge parts of their time of real life into such "virtual-worlds" technique and not seldom become ill. Don´t take gaming too serious!