Fallout 76 announcement? (Bethesda Live Stream)

Reginald_001

2 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

So far it looks like it's going to be shit. If you're a fan of traditional Bethesda games, there's not much there. Unless you like interacting with holotapes and terminals, that is. Even the basic gameplay loop of exploring -> fighting -> looting is poorly implemented because there are level restrictions on gear. Yep, weapons have level restrictions placed on them. If you find a new weapon and don't meet the level requirement you can't use it. Which means that the entire game will be heavily homogenized until at least the very late-game because people that are in the same level bracket only have access to the specific gear of said level range.

It might get better once you've hit a level that's high enough to use all the gear that's in the game but I wouldn't count on it. Also, game logic is tied heavily to FPS, which is a pretty dumb thing to do. LazyPeon has a pretty good impression up if you're interested because he didn't play previous Bethesda games and has a neutral stance. I wouldn't trust people who've build their channel around Bethesda games because those also have a personal interest in keeping people hooked on the newest entry.

Terminals, holotapes AND dead bodies. You can't forget the dead bodies. If you do like that stuff to the exclusion of literally everything else though it may be the greatest game of all time. 

The official mod support starts in a year from now, which is probably when they are going to release the Creation Kit for the game. The same is true for private servers, where you could pretend to have a singleplayer experience.

If you could simply open the files (.esm) with the Fallout 4 Creation Kit we'd know this by know (I assume).

If you're looking for a reasonable singleplayer experience with mods you probably have to wait for another 12-18 month or so.

14 hours ago, SpyVsPie said:

Terminals, holotapes AND dead bodies. You can't forget the dead bodies. If you do like that stuff to the exclusion of literally everything else though it may be the greatest game of all time. 

the greatest game of all time??
that is a bit inaccurate! 
best game, area the games world, best graphics, best story, most beautiful interactions with NPCs???

actually it does not matter, because none of this is hold true!
for me the biggest joke of all time, a laugh number. :classic_wink:

az616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=188&h=6db55c90e

10 minutes ago, winny257 said:

the greatest game of all time??
that is a bit inaccurate! 
best game, area the games world, best graphics, best story, most beautiful interactions with NPCs???

actually it does not matter, because none of this is hold true!
for me the biggest joke of all time, a laugh number. :classic_wink:

az616578.vo.msecnd.net&s=188&h=6db55c90e

I think maybe my sarcasm didn’t translate. I was saying it’s shit. 

8 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

So has anyone here actually played the beta? Or are we all just going on what reviewers have posted? I'd say more but I'm tired of being called out for Beth Bashing. Even if it really does feel deserved this time.

I played the beta, after buying just the beta key.

And I certainly got the nobody here feeling when playing, but there again with only 20 people on a map that size, and different levels of players it is pretty much a given.

I do not really like survival modes in most games but this was fairly basic and not too hard to deal with, food is easy enough to find, everything however gives radiation, even cooked food, though diluted rad away is common enough, just go kill a load of ghouls and chances are you will find some.  Water there are recipes for purified water and it requires a filter, but personally I never found a filter nor the recipe to craft one.

The armour and weapons degradation and repair is quite nice, but does really mean you need to keep an eye on their condition.  It does not degrade that quickly, but the max condition of the gear does make quite a difference, personally I never have a weapon or armour piece break, but I always kept and eye on things and I tend to loot every piece of junk I find, adhesive is the most important junk item you can find though, as you use it for pretty much everything.

Armour, well pretty much crafting only, I think during the 12 hours of it I played I found about 4 pieces of armour, though for me it seemed to be the I make the armour piece then the next mob/container I loot has the same damn piece in it.

I did enjoy the game enough to go out and but it after the beta ended though.

Looking at it I would expect most of the co-op stuff to be pretty much end game, as some of the events can be done solo, though a lot would depend on your special/perk card set-up.

From what I saw most of the event mobs even though showing as red in vats and such do not attack you unless you get pretty much in their faces or attack them, I spent quite a bit of time looting one of the areas where an event could be ran and the robots there ignored me until I walked into one of them, then they all went hostile.

14 hours ago, SpyVsPie said:

Why not just create a Fallout 4 mod that adds a bunch of colorful trees and takes out all the NPCs and everything interesting? 

12 hours ago, Holzfrau said:

It's already been done.

Or if you want the 76 experience without actually playing with other people, there's a mod that removes NPCs and adds griefers and nukes.

Then combine it with this mod - Boston Natural Surroundings

" A rebuild of commonwealth landscape with trees, plants and grass inspired by Fallout 76. "

A lot of the FO76 bashing comes from people expecting another Fallout 4. It may have the same skin as Fallout 4, but it is nothing like Fallout 4. Dare I say Fallout 76 is the complete opposite of FO4. FO4 had an unbearable storyline that it crammed down your throat, and you couldn't make your own character. You were always the parent of a poorly written, kid-friendly Oedipus complex no matter what name or face you gave your character. Here, you're on your own with your friends and you make your own story. Bethesda Game Studios has always been about making your own story while exploring the world. It was severely lacking in FO4, so now BGS swung to the other extreme and completely forgone the story and made a huge world.

And yes, it has many of the same assets as Fallout 4. Don't hate on BGS since they've been more busy on Starfield while letting their new multiplayer studio handled 76.

I played Fallout 76 and must say it's as if they made their own version of Fallout Frost. It's not for everyone, but a Fallout survival game can be pretty wicked.

In addition, there are already mods out for it before it's even released. Sure they may all be client-side mods, but they definitely pave the way for what's possible. I do suspect that if Caliente gets on board, we may even have model swapping only days after release.

11 minutes ago, TheOtherGuy said:

A lot of the FO76 bashing comes from people expecting another Fallout 4. It may have the same skin as Fallout 4, but it is nothing like Fallout 4. Dare I say Fallout 76 is the complete opposite of FO4. FO4 had an unbearable storyline that it crammed down your throat, and you couldn't make your own character. You were always the parent of a poorly written, kid-friendly Oedipus complex no matter what name or face you gave your character. Here, you're on your own with your friends and you make your own story. Bethesda Game Studios has always been about making your own story while exploring the world. It was severely lacking in FO4, so now BGS swung to the other extreme and completely forgone the story and made a huge world.

And yes, it has many of the same assets as Fallout 4. Don't hate on BGS since they've been more busy on Starfield while letting their new multiplayer studio handled 76.

I played Fallout 76 and must say it's as if they made their own version of Fallout Frost. It's not for everyone, but a Fallout survival game can be pretty wicked.

In addition, there are already mods out for it before it's even released. Sure they may all be client-side mods, but they definitely pave the way for what's possible. I do suspect that if Caliente gets on board, we may even have model swapping only days after release.

Yeah, I think a lot of us really wanted a Co-Op FO4/NV with a NPC storyline of some sort and vendors etc. Just hunting creatures and bots sounds dull to me. It is what is and some people seem to like it, the rest of us aren't being forced to buy it.

42 minutes ago, Halstrom said:

Yeah, I think a lot of us really wanted a Co-Op FO4/NV with a NPC storyline of some sort and vendors etc. Just hunting creatures and bots sounds dull to me. It is what is and some people seem to like it, the rest of us aren't being forced to buy it.

Mesh and texture re-placers should be fine and cause no problems, anything however that edits the main files so to speak, changes weights etc would be a big no no, as that would rightly be considered cheating, and that is of course if they even allow that sort of modding outside of the atom shop/cash shop control.

The first mod I would really want would be one that actually does change the graphics settings, that damn dof is a pain, and the ini edits I have seen for some reason never worked for me.

2 hours ago, Varithina said:

Mesh and texture re-placers should be fine and cause no problems, anything however that edits the main files so to speak, changes weights etc would be a big no no, as that would rightly be considered cheating, and that is of course if they even allow that sort of modding outside of the atom shop/cash shop control.

The first mod I would really want would be one that actually does change the graphics settings, that damn dof is a pain, and the ini edits I have seen for some reason never worked for me.

Well if you haven't noticed, being a proper competitive multiplayer game and a thoroughly moddable game completely contradict each other.

As it's been pointed out in the Gundum video above, the local files currently aren't protected and the network traffic isn't encrypted either. Be prepared for a game swarmed with hackers, not just with things like wallhacks, aimbots or instant kills, but potentially also attacks directly on your home network and PC.

And as Gopher noted, there has been absolutely no explanation how potential modding on "private servers" is supposed to work. Will everyone need the exact same load order and compatibility patches? Or are the mods uploaded to the server, and auto-synced to players? Just for the session, or permanently?

Just trying to imagine a 50-100GB Skyrim mod installation being shoved onto my PC... "Downloading Data, Please Stand By"

More importantly - What exactly can you mod in this game?

If only basic ESP edits and local mesh/texture edits are allowed, then it's just not a moddable game in a sense that we here as Loverslab/Nexus modders would expect it to be. Furthermore if the "Mod Manager" in FO4 is just a slight indication about how their servers are going to handle mod content, then oh well... good night. Mods being disabled, load order shuffled, INI settings reset, etc.

But let's not try to fool ourselves, the game is obviously a quick and dirty cash grab outsourced to a hastily assembled multiplayer team. They don't care about modding, so far this has only been bait to get their traditional PC fanbase on board.

Whatever you can "mod" right now actually falls under "hacking/cheating" by replacing game assets which apparently isn't intended or regulated yet.

Traditional multiplayer modding - example custom maps for games like Counter-Strike or Warcraft - is obviously not planned, and whatever you are permitted to do with private servers has been completely in the dark thus far. That is, IF these private servers are really going to be a thing.

What we already do know for certain, is that the game really is about the microtransactions: "games as a service" is the keyword here.

3 hours ago, Varithina said:

Mesh and texture re-placers should be fine and cause no problems

Unfortunately, I suspect Bethesda will strike down on that as well since mesh and texture replacers are what's sold in the atom shop. Nexus already got uploads that offers exactly the type content they want to charge for like the vault suit reskin and new hair color mods.
Bethesda needs a revenue stream in order to keep Fallout 76 running and stand by their plan to offer free DLCs so this will most certainly register as a problem for them.

There's also the potential for cheating by using glowing textures or rescaled meshes making resources, mobs or players easier to detect. 

Beyond that it'll be hard to push sales to console users if they see the PC crowds getting the same or maybe even fancier community created items for free and then things like the already released lockpick "assistant" on top of that.
Fallout 4 had like three or four console sales for every pc version initially and I suspect Fallout 76 got at least the same so that's not a group Bethesda can afford to upset. Not if they want them to keep playing the game and keep using the atom shop anyhow.

I doubt they would put much worry into detecting any cheating unless its a tournament thing where people play for money. If they were worried about their microtransactions they would have had protection in thebeta. Most of the market for F76 might not have any modding experience. Other games are more concerned with autoaim and auto heal mods and such.

Maybe its more a test for FO5 having multiplayer option. I wouldn't be surprised if FO5, TES6and Starfield moved away from GameBro and ditched modding options altogether.

Archived