Jump to content
Reginald_001

Fallout 76 announcement? (Bethesda Live Stream)

Recommended Posts

Not sure why people find this bad other than it includes other human beings. Feels very Fallout to me, the quests are fairly good for a multiplayer thingo and other than the lack of mods......(which to be fair I'm pretty sure client side overrides can/will be a thing here)...its a fun game so far.

Link to post

With my time during the beta over the past few days, I can say that it's a lot like Fallout 4 gameplay wise. Basically just switch to survival mode and never do the main quest, only side quests. That's what Fallout 76 is like. I'd say get it but only if you really like Fallout 4. I'm happy with my purchase, but I can see the issues in the gameplay.

Link to post

I was in Appalachia this evening and the scenery felt bone-dry empty. I think I saw 2 players the first 5 minutes and then I was by myself for the next three hours. I don't know how Bethesda is going to pull out this one, there's literally nothing in the game besides props and very stupid enemies.

Link to post
49 minutes ago, DFSL said:

I was in Appalachia this evening and the scenery felt bone-dry empty. I think I saw 2 players the first 5 minutes and then I was by myself for the next three hours. I don't know how Bethesda is going to pull out this one, there's literally nothing in the game besides props and very stupid enemies.

 

There are factions in the game, they've been data mined, the BOS is there for example. There is a raider faction as well.

 

Just cause you haven't seen it yet doesn't mean it won't be there as they patch in content.....online games have a different kind of content schedule than single player games, not everything gets turned on at once all the time.

Link to post
24 minutes ago, modslave said:

 

There are factions in the game, they've been data mined, the BOS is there for example. There is a raider faction as well.

 

Just cause you haven't seen it yet doesn't mean it won't be there as they patch in content.....online games have a different kind of content schedule than single player games, not everything gets turned on at once all the time.

My thoughts exactly. Either Bethesda adds NPCs or factions or this game is going ta have a very rough landing.

Link to post
7 hours ago, DFSL said:

I was in Appalachia this evening and the scenery felt bone-dry empty. I think I saw 2 players the first 5 minutes and then I was by myself for the next three hours. I don't know how Bethesda is going to pull out this one, there's literally nothing in the game besides props and very stupid enemies.

I did the one on 1st and 3rd, and had pretty much the same feeling, nobody here, lots of open space with small areas of things to find/do mixed in.

 

I would image most of it is from the beta side of things where every body playing wants to see as much of the game world as they can during their limited time to play.

 

Though I did see two or three people towards the end of yesterdays session, and it looked from keeping an eye on the world map as though they had been doing pretty much the entire session as a team, they were never too far from each other every time I looked at the map for what ever reason.

 

Events are pretty much meh, there are supposed to be good rewards for them, I did the airport one which was to protect the landing zone for the robot transport, and it was simply kill the 5 waves of scorched, I was killing them quicker than they could spawn, and only used about 2 stim packs in the entire 5 waves, I got better stuff of their copses than I did from the even reward.  Though whether the reward would have changed if there had been more of us doing it I do no know.

Link to post
17 hours ago, modslave said:

 

There are factions in the game, they've been data mined, the BOS is there for example. There is a raider faction as well.

 

Just cause you haven't seen it yet doesn't mean it won't be there as they patch in content.....online games have a different kind of content schedule than single player games, not everything gets turned on at once all the time.

something beautiful talk makes it still long not better!
there can not be NPCs or factions, Vault 76 open 30 years after the nuclear disaster, they are the first to enter the earth!
if Beth adding factions, then is the word from Beth and the game worth a pile of shit! :classic_wink:

but there are many who buy every garbage from Beth.
Skyrim was for me the last Beth game I bought and it will be the last. :classic_smile:

 

that's Bethesda for me.

LongBeneficialErin-size_restricted.gif

Link to post

I wanted to love fo76. I was one of the defenders of fo4 and a multiplayer 4 sounded like it could be great to me. I went into the beta excited, the rocky launch night didn't bother me (it's a beta after all) but my god this game is just unbearably bland and boring. I have tried to muscle through the beta, hoping it will pick up but I usually find myself logging out after an hour or so just out of a sheer lack of interest, then trying again after doing something else for a little while only to repeat the  process. 

Link to post

I did not play the beta, but only watched about 8 hours of streams/videos (in the same piece by the same person).

Although I'm not a fan of online games I have to say that FO 76 is a positive surprise.
And for a beta even very positive.


If the price of 60.00 EUR would not be and there is the possibility of "censorship-free" mods (private server) - maybe I would even play an this  online game.

Link to post
2 hours ago, Reginald_001 said:

Give me a shout when I can:

 

- Add Ivy to the game.

- Mod the game the way I want it.

- Play it offline.

 

Oh hey.. that's Fallout 4.

(Gets back to work on Ivy... :))

 

Correctly recognized - it is not a thread of Fallout 4.

And with this order, it never becomes something.

Link to post

I knew that their trailers were entirely fake and photoshopped. And after the "paid mods" and creation club disasters, i didn't expect anything good to come from Bethesda anymore.

But after seeing the actual game footage from the beta, it's time for a deeply satisfied "Told ya so".

 

 

 

4-1541103988-2120716414.png

 

4-1541095161-392627617.png

 

6-1541124890-637481948.png

 

8-1541292561-487063291.png

 

What a fucking joke to publish a game like this in 2018.

 

Just a little reminder how FO4 looks with ENB:

 

 

6796-1541317521-1091683198.jpeg

 

6796-1535337007-1656610500.jpeg

 

6796-1533618239-1807540988.jpeg

 

6796-1535478137-1226447257.jpeg

 

6796-1540956132-1654741470.jpeg

 

6796-1533601418-1692286223.jpeg

 

6796-1535476633-321499372.jpeg

 

6796-1533441887-1352027794.jpeg

 

6796-1533513150-74137421.jpeg

 

6796-1533602123-1816897689.jpeg

 

6796-1541315841-1063261204.jpeg

 

6796-1533350173-1926350679.jpeg

 

6796-1533315736-1381966478.jpeg

 

6796-1541317060-1097906781.jpeg

 

6796-1540836689-620526845.jpeg

 

6796-1533601625-161402114.jpeg

 

6796-1540873899-1590888471.jpeg

 

6796-1532154634-1125432403.jpeg

 

6796-1541316520-1881381299.jpeg

 

6796-1533616840-1279708532.jpeg

 

6796-1540873060-1101627644.jpeg

 

6796-1541041101-1816762285.jpeg

 

6796-1540873381-2113675857.jpeg

 

6796-1533601708-1438947108.jpeg

 

6796-1532155096-510335092.jpeg

 

6796-1532635535-1776824343.jpeg

 

6796-1533615374-862259322.jpeg

 

6796-1532900512-1185762063.jpeg

 

6796-1540874308-977289749.jpeg

 

6796-1532529418-198962825.jpeg

 

6796-1532822063-1175189983.jpeg

 

6796-1533514504-182510038.jpeg

 

6796-1532455591-791235193.jpeg

 

6796-1541040290-610208916.jpeg

 

---------------

 

 

 

 

TBH i did see a certain appeal in Gopher's video, when the guy shot at the Sentry Bot and everyone started running in panic. So perhaps if anyone has never played a multiplayer game, they might even enjoy this one.

 

Besides that it seems pretty much rock bottom; kind of a bare bones co-op / pvp shooter with crappy graphics and gameplay, and without anything that keeps on fascinating the players of Skyrim and Fallout 3/4 after all these years - no NPCs, no exploration, and most obviously no mods of the magnitude of the script extenders without which the most important other mods wouldn't even be possible.

 

The only thing that was looking objectively better than FO4 / Skyrim with ENB is the LOD; though it's no miracle that if you remove all the NPCs and thousands of dynamic objects with their scripts and physics, you can probably run the game with uGridsToLoad=15 and shadow range 100000, and enjoy the view. Though the obnoxious loading stutters already showed that they vastly overextended the engine this time.

 

So basically you get a game that lacks everything from their previous successful titles - immersion, stories, NPC interaction, and modding. In turn you get a poor looking shooter with crappy gameplay mechanics, that seems more like playing an MMORPG on an empty server.

I'd say that - same like Elder Scrolls Online - the game has no chance against the established titles in their genres. Likewise the hardcore Skyrim/Fallout players and modders have no use for it either.

Link to post

Yeah, and it takes Fallout 4 with hires textures and a good enb slapped on it to make it par with today's triple A games by other developers. Bethesda from the years of seeing how they are, they have become conformed to what works for them and they have stuck with it so long whenever they try to evolve their lack of competence shows. They are stuck making 2009 games while everyone else have long since move on.

Link to post
16 hours ago, guk said:

 

I'd say that - same like Elder Scrolls Online - the game has no chance against the established titles in their genres. Likewise the hardcore Skyrim/Fallout players and modders have no use for it either.

ESO has been doing pretty well recently. It was a pretty big failure at the start but they managed to pick up the pace somewhat. It's not the next big thing or anything, but it's up there with other successful MMOs. You also have to understand that Bethesda's idea of an audience is not what Bethesda's audience thinks it is. They don't really care that much about TES/Fallout fans, if they can trade those in for more profits, they'll do it. They want to milk the games as a service meme and that's pretty much it. Though I doubt they will get very far, their current fans are usually pretty forgiving when it comes to subpar graphics and bugs but on the survival sandbox market they'll have to compete with established products which probably won't end well for them.

 

7 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

Yeah, and it takes Fallout 4 with hires textures and a good enb slapped on it to make it par with today's triple A games by other developers. Bethesda from the years of seeing how they are, they have become conformed to what works for them and they have stuck with it so long whenever they try to evolve their lack of competence shows. They are stuck making 2009 games while everyone else have long since move on.

On the other hand, Bethesda still makes games for people who want to play video games. Popular games like Witcher 3 are mostly popular because they're made for people who don't like to play games and are in it for the story or cinematic experience. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I don't get why people demand that everyone should do the same thing. Bethesda's sandbox game are in their own category, if you don't enjoy them, don't play them. Turning these games into carbon copies of open world formula 'Ubisoft' like Witcher did would be the biggest mistake Bethesda could make.

Link to post
12 hours ago, endgameaddiction said:

Yeah, and it takes Fallout 4 with hires textures and a good enb slapped on it to make it par with today's triple A games by other developers.

To be entirely fair, my screenshots above are using at least 99.9% vanilla lo-res textures. So these things really look like that in my game while playing, just nicely framed for the most part.

 

Which begs the question, why is Bethesda hiding everything behind e.g. thick layers of blur and fog rather than using sharpening and film grain to enhance it. Likewise their color grading, bloom, DoF and most other components of the graphics engine are really selling their worlds under value.

Essentially all their games after Morrowind were looking like something that could have been done 5-10 years earlier because of this.

 

 

4 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

They don't really care that much about TES/Fallout fans, if they can trade those in for more profits, they'll do it. They want to milk the games as a service meme and that's pretty much it.

You're certainly right on the "corporate greed" part, as nothing is sacrosanct nowadays against the desire to maximize the profit. But at least until FO4, their games were always carried by the person/team who put all the details into the world.

 

Even after 3000 hours of FO4, it's always worth to rummage through all the corners and containers, because most things you find do have a use in crafting / settlements. More important, they make the entire world feel like an actual place to explore, rather than just a pretty stage for the shooter part. Basically there is not a single place in the game where you would walk out without at least some kind of useful loot (adhesive, copper, aluminum etc), so it's always worth exploring everything even when you've been there 20 times before.

 

Also all the millions of other details are amazing, like the "final moments" where the skeletons of people indicate what happened just before they died. People enjoying the sun on a park bench, a couple holding hands at sight of the nuclear detonation, a guy who starved locked up in his backyard bomb shelter, and so on.

Just by the sheer length of individual playthroughs (100-300 hours+ for me), revisiting these places doesn't seem to get old.

 

So you can still tell that there is a lot of love in some vital parts of their games, in a "by players for players" sense. Very far from certain games like Halo where you know that someone said "we need a new <insert genre> game, hire some guys to do it". Most obviously light years away from copy&paste series like FIFA or Call of Duty, where you get more or less the exact same game every year.

And others like The Witcher might also have "lots of love" in them, but their worlds are barren of content with nothing to do besides killing enemies and doing quests. Lastly the lack of modability means that other games can't really compare.

Link to post
8 hours ago, Outlast1 said:

this sums up what I feel already. Thank you papa Gundam for bringing this to light.

  Reveal hidden contents

 

 

I like that video. Really solid and interesting. 

 

I personally wasnt interested in F76 from the start. Bugfesta was on my shitlist since that whole CC bullshit but i was willing to give them a benefit of a doubt. Then the news dropped that F76 will be multiplayer game. And whoosh, my interest in the game evaporated like a drop of sperm in the middle of Atacama desert. 

I dont want to play with other people, i dont want to see other people in my survival post apo sandbox, i dont want to deal with other people etc. I have enough human interaction in my work for me to want to deal with people i dont like or care about in my time outside of my work. 
Fuck you Bugfesta, fuck your shitty ideas.

 

Oh and i will never buy a Bugfesta game without modding and dev console so... 

Link to post
13 hours ago, GrimReaper said:

On the other hand, Bethesda still makes games for people who want to play video games. Popular games like Witcher 3 are mostly popular because they're made for people who don't like to play games and are in it for the story or cinematic experience. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I don't get why people demand that everyone should do the same thing. Bethesda's sandbox game are in their own category, if you don't enjoy them, don't play them. Turning these games into carbon copies of open world formula 'Ubisoft' like Witcher did would be the biggest mistake Bethesda could make.

 

They already seem to be going that direction since Fallout 4. I'm waiting to see if TES6 is going to be the same, having a voiced protagonist and a really bad dialogue system with vague responses. I would be surprised if they decided to take a step back and go back to the old ways ditching the voiced protagonist, which doesn't belong in neither TES or Fallout.

 

But that wasn't what I was referring to when evolving. i have no problem with sticking with the old ways in which I believe Fallout should be. I'm all for "if it's not broken, don't fix it", which in the case of Fallout 4, they seemed to have lost touch of. But also, the issue lies with the rehash of the same game engine they've been using for over a decade, and other areas which they lack in like AI.

Link to post
10 hours ago, guk said:

You're certainly right on the "corporate greed" part, as nothing is sacrosanct nowadays against the desire to maximize the profit. But at least until FO4, their games were always carried by the person/team who put all the details into the world.

 

Even after 3000 hours of FO4, it's always worth to rummage through all the corners and containers, because most things you find do have a use in crafting / settlements. More important, they make the entire world feel like an actual place to explore, rather than just a pretty stage for the shooter part. Basically there is not a single place in the game where you would walk out without at least some kind of useful loot (adhesive, copper, aluminum etc), so it's always worth exploring everything even when you've been there 20 times before.

 

Also all the millions of other details are amazing, like the "final moments" where the skeletons of people indicate what happened just before they died. People enjoying the sun on a park bench, a couple holding hands at sight of the nuclear detonation, a guy who starved locked up in his backyard bomb shelter, and so on.

Just by the sheer length of individual playthroughs (100-300 hours+ for me), revisiting these places doesn't seem to get old.

 

So you can still tell that there is a lot of love in some vital parts of their games, in a "by players for players" sense. Very far from certain games like Halo where you know that someone said "we need a new <insert genre> game, hire some guys to do it". Most obviously light years away from copy&paste series like FIFA or Call of Duty, where you get more or less the exact same game every year.

And others like The Witcher might also have "lots of love" in them, but their worlds are barren of content with nothing to do besides killing enemies and doing quests. Lastly the lack of modability means that other games can't really compare.

Zenimax doesn't have the pressure to maximize profits as much as many other publishers do because they're privately owned iirc, so they don't need to satisfy the shareholder's need for infinite growth. As such they can get away with a few experiments here and there. Doesn't mean they're not looking for ways to make even more money, their latest scheme being obviously the CC to monetize modding. Which, of course, can be even further reinforced by making F76 a closed system because it's a MP only game. In their defence, though, the SP only games with minimal, non-existant or traditional (meaning actual content via DLC or AddOns) additional monetization they've brought on the market didn't sell so well despite being praised by players and critics alike. Excluding their core games, TES and Fallout, of course. Those sell like mad.

Link to post
9 minutes ago, endgameaddiction said:

 

They already seem to be going that direction since Fallout 4. I'm waiting to see if TES6 is going to be the same, having a voiced protagonist and a really bad dialogue system with vague responses. I would be surprised if they decided to take a step back and go back to the old ways ditching the voiced protagonist, which doesn't belong in neither TES or Fallout.

 

But that wasn't what I was referring to when evolving. i have no problem with sticking with the old ways in which I believe Fallout should be. I'm all for "if it's not broken, don't fix it", which in the case of Fallout 4, they seemed to have lost touch of. But also, the issue lies with the rehash of the same game engine they've been using for over a decade, and other areas which they lack in like AI.

I think I remember that they've already admitted that the limited dialogue system in F4 was a mistake. They obviously wanted to appeal to the people who play games for the 'experience' rather than the game itself but that didn't turn out so well, did it now.

 

As far as the engine is concerned, I don't think they need a new one. It's the modus operandi in game development to expand and modify existing engines to suit your needs, Unreal Engine 4 for example is still build upon the now ancient first Unreal Engine. Engines usually get a new name when a milestone is reached, it doesn't mean that's a whole new engine made entirely from scratch. They don't need to develop a new engine, they need to sit down and fix what they have and then add new things on top of it.

 

But it doesn't help that what Bethesda does with their open world games is pretty complex from a technical point of view. Just look at how many open world games feature a fully interactive and accessible inventory. Most games resort to spawning NPCs with fixed models who simply have a loot table if that. The big appeal TES and Fallout have, in my opinion, is the 'see that? you can go there and take it' approach.

Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...