Fallout 76 announcement? (Bethesda Live Stream)

Reginald_001

1 hour ago, winny257 said:

I know, @Halstrom meant it differently, a complete Skyrim online implementation, just like Fallout 76.
if that happens, then I will shoot myself!!! ?

they did that already, it's called "the elder scrolls online"?

26 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

they did that already, it's called "the elder scrolls online"?

yes, that's right too, but in the previous posts it was specifically about Skyrim, how many versions have been developed for tens of different platforms already.
for PC alone Skyrim already appeared three times, Oldrim, SSE and Skyrim VR! :classic_laugh:
now only missing a skyrim online from Beth. :classic_wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmmmmm...

I said in my title that

Fallout 76 makes me sad, and that's true. It's a painful experience because I really enjoy the Fallout series and this badly makes me want to play a real Fallout game. Not…whatever this is. This doesn’t feel like an unfinished game, per se, it’s plenty big and there’s a lot to do. But it feels hollow, like an experiment no one was asking for, removing core components of the game (VATS, saving, NPCs) for the sake of something that does not seem like it was worth the trade (multiplayer PvE and PvP). Why have we come to this point where a game that's been ultra successful in the single player genre feels the need to shift so dramatically to multiplayer?

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/10/24/the-fallout-76-beta-makes-me-sad/#3ce578647802

Symply put, I won't buy this "game" nor play it.

Something of note, preorders for Fallout 76 are roughly 25% of what they were for Fallout 4. If you go by these numbers alone it shows a large portion of Bethesda's fanbase is not interested in F76. Or they're at least cautious enough to not blindly preorder this time and see how the game turns out first before purchasing. I don't believe sales after release could ever hope to reach Skyrim of F4 levels either. 

Simply put BGS fucked up with F76, they should have just developed their typical and increasingly dumbed-down-shooter-with-token-RPG-element-character-progression with optional co-op up to four players. If BGS had gone this route then Fallout 76 would be probably be doing much better in the preorder department and eventually be another successful offering from BGS. Reading around other sites I am starting to see more people ask why BGS didn't make F76 a single-player game with optional co-op instead.

Personally the only way I might ever check out F76 would be if BGS releases an off-line version in the future.

Few people are probably wanting to fork out a silly amount of money for a restricted time beta. At least buying into beta FO4 you got something you could play all day. I'm just disappointed the years spent on F76 are time that could have been spent for TES5, FO5 and Starfield.

6 hours ago, winny257 said:

have you ever seen a MMORPG in offline mode, I not!

I hope this game crashes from the Gaming Sky like ESO. :classic_laugh:

ESO is doing ok otherwise they would not keep creating dlc/expansions for it.

Chances are 76 will do ok as well, how ok is up for discussion though, I am so so about it, though I did drop £1 and buy a beta key, and am looking forward to tomorrow 9pm so I can give it a try, but pre-order no chance in hell, I am too so so about the game for that, and even if I do buy it is not likely to happen till they drop the game to £10 or so.

1 hour ago, Varithina said:

ESO is doing ok otherwise they would not keep creating dlc/expansions for it.

and why does Zenimax do that, they do not want to look bad.
I already played a lot of MMORPGs, some right from the beginning Free to Play, some were like TESO with costs and were after a very long time, costs free.
but TESO was the coronation, already after 5-6 months it became Free to Play and nevertheless few were interested in this game.
for the simple reason, the Elder Scroll Series was always a single player game, just like fallout!
one should have these good games not in fucking MMOs to convert!!! :classic_wink:

3 minutes ago, winny257 said:

and why does Zenimax do that, they do not want to look bad.
I already played a lot of MMORPGs, some right from the beginning Free to Play, some were like TESO with costs and were after a very long time, costs free.
but TESO was the coronation, already after 5-6 months it became Free to Play and nevertheless few were interested in this game.
for the simple reason, the Elder Scroll Series was always a single player game, just like fallout!
one should have these good games not in fucking MMOs to convert!!! :classic_wink:

True no doubt, there again I look at eso as pretty much a stand alone game that just happens to have the elder scrolls in its name, looking at how the game itself plays, in which case it is an ok mmo, nothing special though, I am look at 76 in the same way as a online game that just happens to have fallout in its name, how it plays and such is something more of interest to me, will 76 spawn a new section of fallout game play, who knows, it is one of the wait and see things.

For 76, the game play I have seen looks ok, again nothing special but playable, for the rest who knows, which is why I bought the beta key, so I can at least try without spending too much money.

As for mmo, yeh I have played quite a few myself over the years, even had a subscription account on a couple of them for a few years, but rarely play them any more as most of the changed to to the point where single player stuff is too tedious and getting groups is even more tedious.  Or just had daily missions that made doing any group stuff a waste of time.

I got to play about 8 hours of the 9 hour extended beta session today, on PC, and despite the jank I had a hell of a lot of fun... There's definitely shit that really annoys and baffles me; the giant launcher cock-up on the 30th, the continuing inability to change FOV or rebind keys (now also locked out of the INIs because: multiplayer), etc. All the stuff in the news right now basically... They're legitimate criticisms.

But this is a game for how I play Fallout 4 now... Y'know, speed-clicking through those quest dialogs we've all seen so many times, exploring little corners I don't quite remember, hoping to stumble on a rare location I've never actually been to before (I still find new stuff in the Glowing Sea for example).

Fallout 76 is basically that. It takes out almost all of the standing-around-chatting, but it replaces that with MUCH more in-depth audio and text exposition. It's not empty, it's just stuff that you find at your own pace, and you're not really interacting with it directly, it's more vicarious... It's still meaningful though. After hearing a holotape about the Mothman I just really wanted to follow up on that. I set off for Point Pleasant and was rewarded with slowly expanding mystery told by multiple people and punctuated by a couple of over-the-top radio plays akin to the Silver Shroud. There were no quest markers, it was just me delving into this mystery.

I didn't even resolve it. In the end I gave up, for the time being... There are some locked doors and safes that I just can't access at my level, and although I think they have keys too I apparently couldn't deciper the clues... So after a couple of hours I just left, determined to come back later. But on the way back to my camp there was an actual Mothman in the road. Eerie as fuck (although it would have been even better without a nameplate hovering over it). Anyway, I killed it but it didn't help to enlighten me about the mystery at all... I fucking loved it. The whole experience was just wonderful and totally immersive.

And in terms of immersion this game absolutely feels like it has a seamless continuity with Fallout 4. I've seen people complain about the re-use of assets but that's a petty argument; There is so much new stuff, completely new assets for everything that matters, that the reused ones really only help to tie the worlds together.

It's not going to be for everyone though... I love survival games and 'walking simulators'. I play a ton of Stranded Deep, and I've put hundreds of hours into DayZ Standalone without ever killing another player... This kind of experience is just right in my wheelhouse. It's one of those games where I can just see myself chilling for hours in the gorgeous landscape, rebuilding my camp for the hundredth time, being a Grizzly Adams one day, then joining a team to see off waves of Super Mutants at a strategic location the next.
This is a long-haul game. It'll probably replace DayZ for me entirely, and if we really do get modded servers in a year or two I'll be all over that. :)

I ran into Mothman yesterday outsife of Point Pleasant. He is super creepy. His eyes follow you no matter where you stand. 

And I’m having a ton of fun with the game so far. The launcher debacle didn’t impact me. I was able to redownload the files and launch the game well before the start time.

there’s room for improvement for sure. But there’s also a mindset change. I’ve never played FO4 on survival, so I’m still getting accustomed to weight limits and meter watching. But we’re also minus the power fantasy that the core games offer. We start off fairly frail and basic, so the build up to being competent is reintroduced to this series. I hit level 10 last night and feel more confident in my play style as more perks are opened up and my special stats get further from 1. 

The one thing I would like to see is the ability to craft a larger stash.

i do miss having towns of NPCs for that safety net, but I don’t feel the world is all that empty. There’s lots to do, and the randomness of FO3’s wasteland seems to be back as well. Lots of times where I’d see mutants stationed at a point randomly fighting it out with a roving band of scorched.

the playerbase seems pretty mature, too. I haven’t been harassed or impeded in any way. The few times I’ve encountered someone has been pleasant. We usually give each other a helping hand and then part ways.

so far, I’ve played roughly 8-9 hours completely solo and haven’t felt the need to be in a party.

76 is fun, but they really needed to add human NPCs of some kind, the world just feels kinda empty without it. 

There's just all these locations in-game, raider areas without the raiders; Settlements without the people except for dead bodies.  It just doesn't make sense for it to all be empty like it is, like the waters poison, I get that, and they were being attacked, but I'd expect at least some people to survive.  

It feels dull without there being an actual presence. 

I had my fun yesterday for 9 hours of the beta on pc, it's like fallout 4 but bigger and without mods and savegames, the quests are also just the fetch and kill quests not really different from FO4 in my opinion. Did play 9 hours leveled up to level 9 1/2 and didn't even die once, broke down a lot of weapons to get mod blueprints and ressources etc. it's kinda fun.

On 10/29/2018 at 7:29 PM, winny257 said:

have you ever seen a MMORPG in offline mode, I not!

By comparison to similar games, Ark, Hellion, Conan Exiles, I can think of others too but I can't quite remember the names; one was a space sim vaguely similar to Eve but I can't remember the name, it had a semi-offline mode.   

Taking this from someone who's actually played the beta, has played all the games listed above, intends to play F76, and has no problem criticising Bethesda for things that are actually in the games over perceived weaknesses of a game others may not know anything about and have zero intentions of playing anything alike to the game.  I can see them adding an offline mode though I don't know why they're waiting til next year to add it, seems kinda stupid over doing it right from the start.  

F76 is like FO4. There is nothing to do outside crafting and placing chairs in the middle of no where. Except now there are no generic NPCs called Settler to make happy for no apparent reason. Oh and no more crying 'institute came and took muh bay bee!" while curled in a ball from a bad drug trip.

Other than that its mediocre. Will die off since its a paid free to play survival online only game with microtransactions. Bugthesda is way late for yet another DayZ clone. Now its all about battle royal. To which I can't wait to see in 2-5 years from now using Starfield assets to make a generic battle royal game...but with sci fi! ooooo! It just works. Not.

1 hour ago, Veniat said:

By comparison to similar games, Ark, Hellion, Conan Exiles, I can think of others too but I can't quite remember the names; one was a space sim vaguely similar to Eve but I can't remember the name, it had a semi-offline mode.   

Taking this from someone who's actually played the beta, has played all the games listed above, intends to play F76, and has no problem criticising Bethesda for things that are actually in the games over perceived weaknesses of a game others may not know anything about and have zero intentions of playing anything alike to the game.  I can see them adding an offline mode though I don't know why they're waiting til next year to add it, seems kinda stupid over doing it right from the start.  

I hope you can a little German. :classic_wink:

https://www.gamestar.de/artikel/fallout-76-kein-offline-modus-kein-solospiel-ohne-andere-spieler-keine-npcs,3330937.html

https://www.netzwelt.de/news/166837-fallout-76-ewiger-online-zwang-statement-moeglichem-offline-modus.html

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gamestar.de%2Fartikel%2Ffallout-76-kein-offline-modus-kein-solospiel-ohne-andere-spieler-keine-npcs%2C3330937.html&edit-text=&act=url

I'm assuming you're taking this quote and running with it.

" And also modding should be possible, but only after release. Howard promises private servers where we can customize and modify the game to our liking. Bethesda also wants Fallout 76 constantly provide with new content and listen to player requests. "

Specifically about private servers.  That would be necessary for being able to play with other people not in a public environment.  Bethesda hasn't announced if they plan to be the sole host for private servers, but for most other games of this nature, private servers typically go through some sort of hosting service.  That means, the server code will need to be disseminated.  If Bethesda eventually plans to offer up the Creation Kit for 76 like they have for FO4 and Skyrim, that means that they'll have to allow users to download the server software as well since the server is doing all of the heavy lifting and the client is relegated to rendering and user input to the server.  I wouldn't be able to develop complex mods without full server control in a local environment.

Minecraft transitioned to this system a long while ago, and 76 seems to be following the type of system as well.  When you launch Minecraft, the game launches a background server and you plug into that when you play in single player.  That's also why the program can transition to LAN without a restart and the client acts the same between single player, LAN, and internet.

I've dug through some of the archives, and 76 is set up very similar to how Minecraft is set up in that regard.  The difference between the two is that MC was released as single player originally and transitioned to a multiplayer game later and 76 is designed from launch to be multiplayer.

We'll know more in the future.  And if I know one thing about the mod community, someone will crack the server side code and create an emulator to plug into.

If you pre-ordered you can now log into your BethNet account and look in the transaction history to find 3 friend codes for this weekend's beta.

If you're still on the fence or just curious to try the game yourself, these are my codes (posted in an image to keep them away from text harvesters)... They'll only be valid this weekend, within the time-limited beta sessions. So please make sure you can actually play at those times before claiming a code... Also it's a 50gb download. You'll want to have reasonably good internet.

FO76_LL_FriendCodes.jpg.f93c0f9660cf8f8b8912d529152a53bd.jpg

Archived