What was Your First Ever Computer Game?

Isn't this at least the second time we have this thread? Whatever...

I will add links to Let's Plays and to playable online versions for each game.

My first games were

Prince of Persia

https://playclassic.games/games/platform-dos-games-online/play-prince-of-persia-online/play

and three Sierra adventures:

Kings Quest III

https://lparchive.org/Kings-Quest-III/

https://playclassic.games/games/adventure-dos-games-online/play-kings-quest-iii-heir-human-online/play

Police Quest

https://lparchive.org/Police-Quest-1/

https://playclassic.games/games/point-n-click-adventure-dos-games-online/play-police-quest-pursuit-death-angel-online/play/

Space Quest

https://lparchive.org/Space-Quest-Series/

https://playclassic.games/games/point-n-click-adventure-dos-games-online/play-space-quest-chapter-sarien-encounter-online/play

That's how I learned English. Not at school, hell no, that shit doesn't work, but by playing parser adventure games.

They should bring those back for educational purposes, they are an incredibly effective learning tool.

16 minutes ago, Bazinga said:

That's how I learned English. Not at school, hell no, that shit doesn't work, but by playing parser adventure games.

+1 ?

Same here, even the same Sierra games (okey, I started with Kings Quest I, in monochrome :classic_mellow:).

(+ Leisure Suit Larry, took me for ever to find out what a lubber is ?)

• 2 weeks later...

Pong was y first got one for Christmas early 70s but first PC game was a game I can't remember the name of was a basic program langue Star Trek. was mostly text on old green screen you had to type what you wanted to do that was early 80s. then when I got my frist computer in 1998 was Sim City Sims 2, 3, 4. ton of flash and graphic novel (html) games

The C64 in the mid 80s was my first experience on pc type gaming... Asteroids, Space Invaders and Centipedes were my favorites but I soon got distracted by Arcade games  and console gaming. I didnt want a pc until about 99 when Mech Warrior was popular and I've been hooked ever since. Thats probably my favorite game of all time! I'd have my Super Nova loaded with as many heat sinks as i could carry with 6 heavy lasers... yes i would over heat if I fired all 6 at once... but if I hit you... Ha! yeah it was over!

apple IIc   i paid $940 us dollars for in 1984.  came with GATO.  a WW2 submarine simulator.  about a day later I purchased Wizardry.  I was hooked for life.... 

yea, im old.... 

im sure I played pong on the TRS80.  but i don't consider that a real game.  A friend and myself created a text story book  using BASIC (or Pascal?) programming.  a series of "if/then" scenarios, letting the story change as you answered questions

• 2 weeks later...

Star Wars Jedi Knight, JEdi Academy was my first computer game.... hmmm actually no... oh wow this post brings back memory's, yea Jedi Knight was my first online experience with one XD 

My First game was either Zoo Tycoon or The Sims, and i'm pretty sure it was the Sims. They both were very close in time frame though. Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy was my first steps into the online gaming community, then Runescape.... that was amazing.  

My very first PC game was the original Diablo I believe.  That's when I first cut my teeth on the video game genre.  It eventually started to evolve into other games on both PC and Console;

Dynasty Warriors 1-6,

God of War series

Final Fantasy 7

Xenogears (still my all time favorite RPG, trumps even FF7)

Parasite Eve 1 & 2

Drakengard

PC;

Diablo 1, 2, 3,

Warcraft 1, 2, 3

Dungeon Keeper 2 ("You're dungeon is full of yogurt.") ?

Elderscrolls 3: Morrowind

Elderscrolls 4: Oblivion

Elderscrolls 5: Skyrim

Fallout 1, 2, 3, 4 - New Vegas (debating picking up Fallout 76)

City of Heroes/City of Villains (Ahhh the memories of street sweeping and the Eden Trial)

World of Warcraft (I have my doubts Shadowlands will either save or finally kill the MMORPG titan)

Final Fantasy XIV (currently my, "go to," MMORPG; BfA is trash).

It's been a long and storied history.  No regrets save one; if ANY game needs a remake its Xenogears.  I would gladly cut off my left nut for a remake ?

On 4/16/2020 at 5:26 AM, DocClox said:

Pong? Space Invaders at the arcades? Colossal Cave on the uni's Unix system?

I think the first one I owned in my own right was probably Doomdark's Revenge for the ZX Spectrum.

Glad to see I am not the oldest here.   You didn't play "Kingdom" on the university's computer, or that Star Trek game that made you do trigonometry when firing torpedoes (because you are in a 3d space and had to input the detonation points or something like that?

7 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

You didn't play "Kingdom" on the university's computer, or that Star Trek game that made you do trigonometry when firing torpedoes (because you are in a 3d space and had to input the detonation points or something like that?

I don't remember Kingdom, but Trek, certainly. I just used to travel 1.4 whatevers if I was going diagonally, or else let the computer sort it out.

My first computer game? I was a kid so it was probably Dole 5 A Day Adventures. One of those educational games. I remember that and some interactive Berenstain Bears stories. For the majority of my life, most of the games were console games (especially PlayStation. I have some Final Fantasy games, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc...). 

I grew up in a rather backwards country behind the times so my first game was X-Com Apocalypse. The game had already been out almost five years at that point in time. I'm so glad my parents saw the sense to move to a better country that wasn't ruled by a hypocritical tyrant... now it just seems every country has one of those. Can we just go back to the early 2000's? I never thought I would miss those days until the current world events shone a light on how bright those in power really are. (Not that we didn't know) Anyway enough political babble.

I still think X-Com Apocalypse was the best game in the series because of the modular base building, modifiable vehicles, research process, freedom of deployment (you didn't need a mission you could invade the government if you wanted to), the portals and best of all the option to play in real time. It shouldn't be too hard for the current x-com games to manage any of those but somehow every single one of their latest three just feel short of the engagement that X-Com Apocalypse had for me. It's still the only game from that era I can stand playing again with such pixelated graphics.

The First remake of the X-Com: Enemy Unknown (2012) was actually pretty alright, the story was a little lacking but the base building was solid, research made sense, customizing the units made up for the severe lack in vehicle and base combustibility to an extent and when you finished the game there was a genuine sense of achievement since like X-Com Apocalypse the enemies were sensibly challenging unless you chose the hardest mode in which case it just felt like a miserable grind.

Then there was
The Bureau: XCOM Declassified an first person shooter... which really had some fun tactical aspects but overall just felt so wrong because it didn't tie in with anything else from the remake series. Not to mention the actual gun-play was worse than Fallout 4. Definitely a case of bad gun physics. I could go on about the series but overall I have to admit I love it even if it's missing key elements I loved from the first I played.

The second game I played was the original Silent Hill on PS1 - Now that game I really would love a remake of.

On 4/27/2020 at 2:41 AM, GuardianOokami said:

The First remake of the X-Com: Enemy Unknown (2012) was actually pretty alright, the story was a little lacking but the base building was solid, research made sense, customizing the units made up for the severe lack in vehicle and base combustibility to an extent and when you finished the game there was a genuine sense of achievement since like X-Com Apocalypse the enemies were sensibly challenging unless you chose the hardest mode in which case it just felt like a miserable grind.

That was a remake of  a great  game from the early 90s X Com: UFO Defense.  It featured base configuration and it was important to build the base to suffer an attack from the aliens (all of the hangars were connected to one another as well as the access shaft, but there was only one way in to the rest of the base, so the aliens had to come through a single door and could not double back on my troops as they pushed forward).   That game is available on Steam, though.......  it is a 90s game, so don't expect much in the way of graphics or AI.   If you do play, try to hit downed alien craft only in the day time.   

I can't remember what it was called.  It was a 2D top-down game where you flew a helicopter.  The game play was destrying enemy tanks, soldiers, and buildings.  I think you also rescued civilians.  There was one level with an enemy helicopter that just ran into you and gunned you down.  It was difficult to get away from that enemy copter.