What was Your First Ever Computer Game?

6 hours ago, vinamael said:

I can't remember what it was called.  It was a 2D top-down game where you flew a helicopter.  The game play was destrying enemy tanks, soldiers, and buildings.  I think you also rescued civilians.  There was one level with an enemy helicopter that just ran into you and gunned you down.  It was difficult to get away from that enemy copter.

I doubt that it was Tiger Heli. It wouldn't happen to be one of the old Electronic Arts helicopter shooters set in Desert Storm (Desert Strike and the like), would it?

4 hours ago, FauxFurry said:

I doubt that it was Tiger Heli. It wouldn't happen to be one of the old Electronic Arts helicopter shooters set in Desert Storm (Desert Strike and the like), would it?

I have no idea who made it.  I played it on a computer that required everything be run on 5.25 floppy disks.  This was in the late 80s to early 90s.

6 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

On a university computer system?   I didn't think the PC market started until the late 70s early 80s.

Not widely available for the home but if you had the money you could get a Digital Equipment Corp PDP mini-computer. My dad worked for the company.

But the machine I played on at home was basically an early arcade machine.

1280px-Galaxy_Game_1971_first_arcade_game.jpg

12 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

Hmm.. Seek and Destroy?

Reveal hidden contents

[PC][90's?]Top down helicopter, Sierra Nevada game ...

No, that wasn't it.  It was called SARGE.  SARGE, CAPCOM released a version of it as well.  SARGE by CAPCOM.

How did i never notice this topic. Hidden under all the nudity of other threads I guess. 

Video games has had a constant presence throughout my life. 

1st Video game ever-

Night Driver on the Sears Tele-Game Video Arcade home system. Christmas gift from my grandfather 1979-80. I was about 5 since it was pre-little brother. 

Night Driver - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Driver_(video_game)

Sears 2600 - https://dfarq.homeip.net/sears-atari-2600-clone/

1st Computer Game - 

Oregon Trail on a school computer. I don't recall computer type or grade though, Apple 2 or Tandy 1000.. so early-mid 80s? 

My console history was always behind. I went from the 2600 to the 7800, but that didnt occur until the NES was already 2 years old? Yea I was always a game generation behind my friends. I spent most of my childhood playing Pirates on my C64 lol. Epic.  I didnt get my first Playstation until I joined the military in '96.

I went PC gaming in '99 and never looked back. 

On 5/19/2020 at 5:11 PM, Kodiak said:

1st Video game ever-

Night Driver on the Sears Tele-Game Video Arcade home system. Christmas gift from my grandfather 1979-80. I was about 5 since it was pre-little brother. 

1st Computer Game - 

Oregon Trail on a school computer. I don't recall computer type or grade though, Apple 2 or Tandy 1000.. so early-mid 80s? 

My console history was always behind. I went from the 2600 to the 7800, but that didnt occur until the NES was already 2 years old? Yea I was always a game generation behind my friends. I spent most of my childhood playing Pirates on my C64 lol. Epic.  I didnt get my first Playstation until I joined the military in '96.

I went PC gaming in '99 and never looked back. 

There was a rip off (or Night Driver was a rip off) for the colecovision, because that screen shot I know well.    Played it  several times before 79.

As for the computers in the mid 80s, TRS-80s Mod II were pretty wide spread, though Apple was spreading seemingly on the coasts (of the US), Tandy-1000s were more late 80s.  I asked my g/f (now my wife) at the time to buy one for me and had that Tandy until 94. 

Yes, you were a generation behind, I seem to be a little older than you and your history matches with mine, just a few years later.  Hopefully you didn't go to Naval Training Center Orlando then to Naval Nuclear Power School as well, just 5 years behind me as well.

Technically speaking the first game I owned was Block Buster on an MB Microvision. However as that broke the same day I got it, I'm going to claim ownership of the Asteroids machine in my, (at the time), folks pub. Yes it wasn't technically mine, but when the bloke came around to empty the coins every week he'd put an afternoons worth of free games on it for me. The next game was Battlezone. (same deal?).

6 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

There was a rip off (or Night Driver was a rip off) for the colecovision, because that screen shot I know well.    Played it  several times before 79.

As for the computers in the mid 80s, TRS-80s Mod II were pretty wide spread, though Apple was spreading seemingly on the coasts (of the US), Tandy-1000s were more late 80s.  I asked my g/f (now my wife) at the time to buy one for me and had that Tandy until 94. 

Yes, you were a generation behind, I seem to be a little older than you and your history matches with mine, just a few years later.  Hopefully you didn't go to Naval Training Center Orlando then to Naval Nuclear Power School as well, just 5 years behind me as well.

..weeeellll......

RTC Great Lakes and then Tech-Core and Electronics Tech 'A' school on the NTC side. Funny thing is most of my friends at my first command were "nuke waste" as they went on as conventional EMs and MMs after washing out of nuke school. I ended up in San Diego. 

to stay on topic though :)

I recall, if not very vaguely, that NIght Driver had a proper stand up arcade machine too.  I never had a chance to play Coleco or Intelevisionas a kid. Nobody I knew had game systems.  I was the only one with an Atari. 

1 hour ago, Kodiak said:

..weeeellll......

RTC Great Lakes and then Tech-Core and Electronics Tech 'A' school on the NTC side. Funny thing is most of my friends at my first command were "nuke waste" as they went on as conventional EMs and MMs after washing out of nuke school. I ended up in San Diego. 

to stay on topic though :)

I recall, if not very vaguely, that NIght Driver had a proper stand up arcade machine too.  I never had a chance to play Coleco or Intelevisionas a kid. Nobody I knew had game systems.  I was the only one with an Atari. 

LOL..  going a bit astray,   ET2 (ET1 select but.........EAOS was beyond promotion date, still mad at the ETC for making me take the stupid test in the first place).   They would not even allow me to frock.    Did you learn the "PC" way to remember the resistor values or do you remember it because of the Navy way?  I was one of the third that managed somehow to make it through and went to the fleet as a reactor operator.   Getting kicked out of Nuke school was super easy, because the Navy never intended for all those "promised" billets to be filled, just get stupid young kids to sign up to be a "nuke" then de nuke them for pretty much any little infraction (and send them to another area that needed quality people.) 

At least your game didn't make me feel old, I winch when I hear that some of the people post games like "Fallout 3" or "Oblivion" ......  jeesh, I have game disks  older than them!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm bored but not enough to read all posts here...

so im just gonna answer Topic Question:

I dont remember first game i played but i remember:

- Alien Nations

- Alien Shooter ( few weeks ago i downloaded DEMO Version with 1 Hour play limi xDD i finish game in 54 Minutes )

Spoiler

- Settlers

- Anno... 1606 ?... or 1600 :x... idk this 2D one where You can build Walls on Coast :D and You can Play MP with Phone Connection xDD lol

- Spellforce ( my fav. game ❤️ ) ( but only first Spellforce )

- Dark Legions ( There is few games with this name, im talking about: https://www.old-games.com/download/8756/dark-legions-the )

i also remember gameplay for few other games but i dont remember thier names :(...

- One game was about building Space Cities, You start with 4 Astronauts and You have to build Moon City

produce Water Food etc. and expand Your Colony :x... 

- Other game i remember was RPG, you had few characters with pircuters on bottom of screen

You was exploring world or something... in Taverns You can play weird Card Game with two towers xD lol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...