What was Your First Ever Computer Game?

8 hours ago, Gartek said:

Well, I was envious about the neighbor kid who had a C64... which I couldn't (and my parents wouldn't) afford.

I got an Atari 1040ST around 1988 and later (1992) bought myself a used Mega2-ST from a cousin that was in computer business with the 20MB Harddrive that was as big as the computer itself (in a seperate case, as big as the main computer case). Got my first PC around 1995 - Pentium 90 with Windows 95.

*Sigh* Nostalgia... :D

at 20MB HD in 1992???????????    Jeesh, how much money did you have?  You should have saved that money for a better computer in 95.  

Snake and some other games, on DOS, I guess?

(granted that was on my dad's computer and not mine)

Then I went to a daycare back in the early to mid 90s and they had Wolfenstein on that computer, until some kid's dad went and removed it because it was "too violent for us kids". This was the same daycare where we later, or around the same time, had a number of old video game consoles from 5 to 15+ years prior like the Sega Genesis and such (not the Genesis though but stuff like the Turbografx 16, Atari, Super Nintendo and so on) and one of the kids there brought in Mortal Kombat for the Genesis, not like that game was gory or anything... This is also the same daycare where it later turned out one of the counselors and a former neighbor of mine got caught molesting a 3 year old girl long after I had stopped going there, that guy probably died in prison since he would've been pretty old by then.

Later I remember spending many-a-hours playing Mech Warrior 3 (I think). I remember I could set all of the weapons in my mech to be lasers and then I would max out the armor, trying to get a good balance between mobility and armor, at which point I could just go around using "alpha strike" on the joystick I had and basically obliterate everything and anything with one or two precise strikes. That was a lot of fun, if I built the mech wrong though, instead of overheating and shutting down for a minute the power plant would go critical and the mech would explode, still a worthwhile strategy though. The subsequent games got kinda.. dumb, from there IMO. Better graphics though.

I think the first game I ever played on my own computer was the Diablo 2 Expansion Pack though, and that was on a laptop back in 2005 or 2006.

Edited by Z0mBieP00Nani
5 hours ago, steelpanther24 said:

at 20MB HD in 1992???????????    Jeesh, how much money did you have?  You should have saved that money for a better computer in 95.  

As I said, it was a used one. The then-husband of a cousin of mine was in computer business. He had started a small developing company as far as I remember. He switched to new machines and I bought that old Atari Mega ST 2 from him. The price was OK, I had just starting studying.  

I just researched some history:

The 20MB hard drive (http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/47582/Atari SH205 External Hard Disk Drive/) came out around 1987 (https://atari-computermuseum.de/st_peri.htm#sh205 ), around 1990 they were replaced by the MegaDrive with 60 MB. http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/49677/Atari Megafile 60/

So in the fall of 1992 (when I bought that used computer) the 20MB Harddrive was already fairly old - but I was used to the system as I had a 1040ST before.

3 hours ago, Gartek said:

As I said, it was a used one. The then-husband of a cousin of mine was in computer business. He had started a small developing company as far as I remember. He switched to new machines and I bought that old Atari Mega ST 2 from him. The price was OK, I had just starting studying.  

I just researched some history:

The 20MB hard drive (http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/47582/Atari SH205 External Hard Disk Drive/) came out around 1987 (https://atari-computermuseum.de/st_peri.htm#sh205 ), around 1990 they were replaced by the MegaDrive with 60 MB. http://www.computinghistory.org.uk/det/49677/Atari Megafile 60/

So in the fall of 1992 (when I bought that used computer) the 20MB Harddrive was already fairly old - but I was used to the system as I had a 1040ST before.

What is one of the SCSI drives?   My 2MB was a HDD but was connected via a serial port, in 92/93.     Anyway, it was the most expensive part of my 8088 and I used that computer from 91-95.   

2MB HDD on an Intel-Machine? That sounds ridicously low - the Atari ST had a floppy disc that could store 1.44 MB on a double sided disc. You probably had a 2GB disc as Intel started to manufacture HDDs of this capacity in 1991.

The Atari only had that external HDD - neither SCSI or IDE I think. You couldn't plug it to a PC. Different design concept. You couldn't configure your own machine as you had to do with PCs. You even could not install another OS on the Atari - you had what you got and not more. No DOS, but it had it's own Graphical Desktop Environment long before Windows came out.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/3/2021 at 8:17 PM, fishburger67 said:

I remember playing Leisure Suite Larry.  Think that was my first computer or was it Myst?  No, I think it was Leisure Suite Larry.

It's a tough question, isn't it?

I actually forgot about Riven specifically, as I played that. Though I was not clever enough to work my way through the puzzles and resorted to using a strategy guide, the game was amazing even still though as the games from that series are more about exploration rather than just solving puzzles.

First ever computer game I played (on my own computer) was called something like Hopper or Jumper, a Frogger clone. It was a type-in-yourself programme listing in Your Computer or Your Commodore magazine. I couldn't afford a tape deck for my VIC-20 - Commodore had their own with a unique connector - so I had to type it in and debug it every time I played. Three or four hours of that to play it for half an hour before bedtime. Bizarrely that memory is still rosy-tinted.

Edited by ethethetheth
Edited to name the computer and further age myself
12 hours ago, ethethetheth said:

First ever computer game I played (on my own computer) was called something like Hopper or Jumper, a Frogger clone. It was a type-in-yourself programme listing in Your Computer or Your Commodore magazine. I couldn't afford a tape deck for my VIC-20 - Commodore had their own with a unique connector - so I had to type it in and debug it every time I played. Three or four hours of that to play it for half an hour before bedtime. Bizarrely that memory is still rosy-tinted.

By the GODs!!! Your old?

12 minutes ago, fishburger67 said:

By the GODs!!! Your old?

I was quite young, with a level of pocket money reflecting that, which is why it took months to save up for a tape deck. I think they were about £40 and I was far too 'Swallows and Amazons I'll-have-my-fun-for-free-thank-you' to get up early and do a paper or milk round like a mug.

But yeah, I'm basically just coalesced dust.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably Donkey Kong or Mario Bros (the one with the creatures coming out of the pipes). The first game I really got to play though was Warcraft 1&2. I was five and my new best friend (still is 30 years later :P) had this new game to show me. Thus began a lifelong obsession with fantasy and orcs in particular (which got really expensive when I discovered Warhammer in highschool).

4 hours ago, zelphador23 said:

Lol, gonna date me, but Oregon Trail on the PC. My first system was a Super Nintendo, then a Sega...when those were still a thing,

So you got born in the age of consoles!

Some survived the great PC impact hidden in cellars and livingrooms up to this day and evolved into Xboxes and Playstations.

I wonder if they ever find the PC impact crater.

3 minutes ago, donttouchmethere said:

So you got born in the age of consoles!

Some survived the great PC impact hidden in cellars and livingrooms up to this day and evolved into Xboxes and Playstations.

I wonder if they ever find the PC impact crater.

Yes, I survived...but have learned my lesson. PC always. How else am I supposed to put smut into games? lol.

On 12/3/2021 at 11:17 PM, fishburger67 said:

I remember playing Leisure Suite Larry.  Think that was my first computer or was it Myst?  No, I think it was Leisure Suite Larry.

oh my god a few months ago my mom was telling me about this game. it was apparently on my grandpa's PC but he had no idea the kind of content in it and let his daughters play it lmao.

as for what my first video game was, the earliest i remember is freddi fish. those games fucking rocked. i also remember playing the N64 zelda games and super mario 64 when i was still pretty young. i LOVED leading the baby chicks and the dogs around in majoras mask as a kid!!

edit: also, i just remembered i played a LOT of sonic 2 on the genesis as well. one of the buttons on my controller was broken though so i couldn't get through some of the levels... not that i was skilled enough at that age anyways lol.

Edited by submissive miss tris
remembered another game!
10 hours ago, WallBonk said:

I don't know if any of you know this. When I was 4 years old, I had one of those brick-sized handheld games on which one could play Tetris. I absolutely loved that game even though it was just black shapes on grey-ish background.

I bought one of the at a garage sale cheap to replace the one I had as a kid.   I showed to my kids, hoping they would find it as wonderful as I did.............now it is gone, broken or missing.    That was a fun game

Retro 80s Handheld Mattel Electronic Football Game ...

On 1/12/2022 at 12:42 AM, steelpanther24 said:

I bought one of the at a garage sale cheap to replace the one I had as a kid.   I showed to my kids, hoping they would find it as wonderful as I did.............now it is gone, broken or missing.    That was a fun game

Retro 80s Handheld Mattel Electronic Football Game ...

This looks very cool. The one I had was a bit older (i think) than the electronic football you showed. I attached a picture of it. Thank god you can still find them online xD

brick.PNG