"What are you playing" thread

4 hours ago, winny257 said:

many can not understand it, I do not like the English language!
simple too modern, sounds like by machine, this is particularly noticeable in RPGs. 
I mean the which in one Sword swinging are located Time age.

you need to play Dark Souls 3, I just cried from the dialogs there ...

On 10/16/2019 at 7:48 PM, winny257 said:

many can not understand it, I do not like the English language!

Why am I not surprised!  ;D 

And while I totally respect your opinion on the matter I don't necessarily agree and think you shouldn't generalize this as much. 

But if you're strictly speaking about videogames I certainly agree, most have absolutely awful,  terrible at best English voice acting. 

Japanese is much more superior and usually much more natural too. 

And no I don't really understand Japanese but that's what (English) subtitles are there for ?

1 hour ago, MaidoLover said:

And while I totally respect your opinion on the matter I don't necessarily agree and think you shouldn't generalize this as much. 

But if you're strictly speaking about videogames I certainly agree, most have absolutely awful,  terrible at best English voice acting. 

And no I don't really understand Japanese but that's what (English) subtitles are there for ?

I do not know how to explain it, for me is the english language, unfeeling.
in many games are there any words which in certain times not even should exist!
for example, Assassin's Creed Odyssey, 600 before Christ, at that time there was the English language not, but Germanic "what that current German is". :classic_wink:
another example Priscilla's song, first English, then German.

Spoiler

2 hours ago, MaidoLover said:

The quality of dubs isn't due to some inherent failing of the English language so much as it is a fault of dubs recorded in a language far removed from the original language of a work's script, especially when the actors have to try to match the number of 'mouth flaps' for character animations when the length of the original line and the translated line vary by seconds.

It really is for the best to listen to any work of multi-media art in its native language while reading along with the sub-titles. 

The plays of William Shakespeare nor the poems of Maya Angelou would benefit from being dubbed into Japanese or German any more than Ran or Der Ring des Nibelung would from being dubbed to English or Spanish.

5 hours ago, MaidoLover said:

I grew up with a lot of poorly dubbed movies. As I got older, reading subtitles and listening to the actor portray the emotion was the way to go. Because of this I've been able to enjoy an amazing amount of foreign films in their native tongue.

Most games I play are in english so I haven't had this issue as a gamer, but since the visual actors in game aren't real, as long as the language choice has decent Voice Actors, it shouldn't be a problem.

16 hours ago, landess said:

I grew up with a lot of poorly dubbed movies. As I got older, reading subtitles and listening to the actor portray the emotion was the way to go. Because of this I've been able to enjoy an amazing amount of foreign films in their native tongue.

Most games I play are in english so I haven't had this issue as a gamer, but since the visual actors in game aren't real, as long as the language choice has decent Voice Actors, it shouldn't be a problem.

Well that makes sense, though to me since I've started to play games only with jp audio about 2 years ago I'm enjoying them a lot more - I think the first one was Nier Automata...  I switched to English voices "just for fun" once and boy was this a shock... Didn't fit the characters at all,  especially little fuckboy sounded even more childish and annoying,  but also 2B,  nah seriously her original voice is perfect in the original ... Also despite or maybe because you can tell they did put some effort, it's just not even good,  it's like they're completely disconnected to the characters and as such feels artificial,  weird,  un-immersive and rather unconvincing ... (just an example lol)

Also another advantage of playing in Japanese is I usually don't really care about stories in games much so that's convenient also,  if I don't want to listen I just don't have to (look at subtitles) ...

In any case I have no plans to ever not play a game in Japanese anymore,  all my games are from there so it's just a natural fit - and yes there are exceptions but most English "video-game voice actors" just aren't very good - often deeply uninspired and sluggish. Especially David Hayter who seems to be in every game nowadays haha (or some copy cat) lol!

PS: I'm a huge Resident Evil fan and I always play those in English,  the voice acting is usually really good and fitting! And interestingly also how they were originally done,  in English not Japanese - which is probably a huge reason for the games charm and often makes them seemingly unintentionally funny. 

8 hours ago, MaidoLover said:

PS: I'm a huge Resident Evil fan and I always play those in English,  the voice acting is usually really good and fitting! And interestingly also how they were originally done,  in English not Japanese - which is probably a huge reason for the games charm and often makes them seemingly unintentionally funny. 

I would not be surprised if Dragon's Dogma was a practice run for Capcom doing their own high quality English language priority games set in primarily English speaking nations or fantasy world equivalents.

Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 2 REmake may have been written in English whether or not the English dub was done first or not.

Semi-Related but back on topic, it is possible to fake the effect of a dub voice-over as Indivisible demonstrates. It is a Western made game which mimics a JRPG-Platformer-hybrid chock full of Shonen anime tropes and overly energetic voice deliveries that one might expect out of a dun from Funimation (only without American political messages being awkwardly inserted into the dub).

As my playthrough wears on, though, I am wondering if I'm playing a 'Retraux' pseudo-JRPG or Street Fighter 3 with an Active Time Battle system (not that I parried nearly as frequently back when playing Street Fighter 3 since dodging, counter-attacking and blocking could win the day there).

Seeing what an unusual result that fighting game experts bought to the turn-based RPG genre, I would be curious to see what would come from strategy e-sports champions make a Civilization simulator or life sim.

On 10/20/2019 at 10:11 PM, FauxFurry said:

I would not be surprised if Dragon's Dogma was a practice run for Capcom doing their own high quality English language priority games set in primarily English speaking nations or fantasy world equivalents.

Resident Evil 7 and Resident Evil 2 REmake may have been written in English whether or not the English dub was done first or not.

Semi-Related but back on topic, it is possible to fake the effect of a dub voice-over as Indivisible demonstrates. It is a Western made game which mimics a JRPG-Platformer-hybrid chock full of Shonen anime tropes and overly energetic voice deliveries that one might expect out of a dun from Funimation (only without American political messages being awkwardly inserted into the dub).

As my playthrough wears on, though, I am wondering if I'm playing a 'Retraux' pseudo-JRPG or Street Fighter 3 with an Active Time Battle system (not that I parried nearly as frequently back when playing Street Fighter 3 since dodging, counter-attacking and blocking could win the day there).

Seeing what an unusual result that fighting game experts bought to the turn-based RPG genre, I would be curious to see what would come from strategy e-sports champions make a Civilization simulator or life sim.

Pretty funny to hear on the dargmars forums how superior the japanese voice module is, clearly by people who neither understand nor speak japanese. While there is some high formal use in the game, mostly from Grigori and Edmun, virtually the entire game is not only in vernacular, it's modern urban vernacular on top of that.

Meanwhile the english version go full in on motif and context appropriate dialog and convention, and the game was designed and written that way from day one.

Something something part time weeaboos something.

"this sounds like my audio fetish" has never meant "contextually superior" pretty much ever.

7 hours ago, 27X said:

Something something part time weeaboos something.

"this sounds like my audio fetish" has never meant "contextually superior" pretty much ever.

I don't know if it is fair to imply that such people are part-time 'Weaboos'. They are closer to hardcore hobbyist or professionals performing pro bono as the Japanese Special(rather than Self) Defense Force but one for the Japanese language itself.

4 hours ago, Reginald_001 said:

Currently playing through Wolfenstein 2009. You know that one Wolfenstein title that everyone forgot about, made on the Doom 3 engine.

It's actually quite entertaining.

Yeah, that was pretty fun. I had that on Direct2Drive way back when. Shame i didn't save a backup copy, you can't get that anywhere anymore.

The second DLC mission for Ace Combat 7 released, damn fun air-to-air and air-to-ground  playground mission, with awesome music too. Looking forward to the conclusion :classic_happy:

Spoiler

But enough with the food jokes, already!

2 hours ago, ToJKa said:

Noticed that Metro Exodus is for half-price on the Microsoft Store. It is a pretty damn good looking with ultra-wide and raytracing. And Exodus with it's above ground worlds has more of that STALKER feeling i love :classic_happy:

too bad the ai is a trainwreck and it's unoptimized as balls. There's also zero replayability.

A WTF moment in Gen Zero;

The 'Pause' game feature.....you pause the game for an AFK in SP, hoping your hiding spot will be adequate. You come back after 5 minutes and notice that you have 1 Tank, 3 Runners and a Hunter all practically staring at you, waiting for your return. Your character WAS hiding in a container, but somehow you're now standing outside of it, and as soon as you unpause they finally notice and kill you.

Really odd......wish I had that on video.....

Just spent a week out of town on vacation. I spent the slow moments of the trip playing the 2nd quest of Zelda, using Zelda Classic, sort of a freeware version of Mario Maker for the original Legend of Zelda. Used the 16 bit graphics version, and replaced Link with my little edit of Princess Faris I created for my Unity Zelda game because I'm weird like that:

zc_screen00025.png.21e8e895f33bf4af4d3b9223f49bb2f6.png

Spoiler

zc_screen00002.png.afd0a55ca5db30d16296e9ee8f5d8228.pngzc_screen00003.png.bcc31deaed934bdc7c10c8d32f895e1f.pngzc_screen00016.png.16f86f170f7c69eadafddb5105c3e2f4.pngzc_screen00035.png.9a4073d8662ac1c77abf897f93a9c3f7.pngzc_screen00039.png.c4068531817608c4ed698ece0b5b54b7.pngzc_screen00043.png.c77a09995dddd924b8a8a0bc78a8cf48.pngzc_screen00052.png.4e423efb8bc7a0e179739ac86c18ec43.png

I had forgotten just how brutal the second quest of Zelda is. I can sleepwalk my way through most of the first quest. Got killed 46 times clearing my recent playthrough of the second quest. Darknuts and especially Wizzrobes were a force to be reckoned with in Zelda 1. Then you throw in the red bubbles in the second quest for some real nightmare rooms (nothing like having to chase down a blue bubble to get your sword back while a bunch of angry wizards are trying to destroy you). Not surprised most people who do challenge modes like no sword runs stick strictly to the first quest.

Might check out some of the custom quests of Zelda Classic. One annoying thing though is Zelda Classic was originally created with Windows 98 era software, causing its full screen mode not to work with most newer versions of windows. Even getting a decently scaled windowed screen on my Windows 10 laptop was a royal pain in the ass. It kept wanting to default to a tiny 640x480 window.

After taking advantage of a recent Steam sale on a few items on my wish list, I realized a couple days later they are all medieval themed...

Shadow of War

Kingdom Come Deliverance

A Plague Tale: Innocence

I guess next year will be future themed for me with Outer Worlds and Cyber Punk eventually releasing on my choice of platform.

Void Bastards again.

In an orgasm of excellent ideas i decided to go for the achievements Mahatma (finish on normal with Unarmed restriction) and Tight Arse (finish on normal without building any upgrades) at the same time. Here's a helpful hint: DON'T!

Well, with how the game works you can't really fail it. You have infinite guys and on death all you will lose are the items you collected on the ship you died on (along with ammo which didn't matter in this case, food and fuel). It's really more of a test of patience. And tested it was :classic_angry:

I must have gone trough 50 guys in the game, but i did it, because i'm a badass :cool:

Well, at least now i can play it normally again. By which i mean the Off the Hook achievement, which means finishing on Hard Bastard without deaths ?