Name games you never finished and the reasons why.

This is an interesting topic, i find.

There are so many games we buy with the intend to play them and find out that we can not finish them.

Reason vary for everyone. From bored to plainly to hard.

Anyway, i think this can be a learning experience for everyone which games are not finished at all and for what reason.

For me, i have a few.

For example. I bought once The Legend of of Grimrock. I actually finished that game.

What i did not finish was the second game that came after. Once you on the tower, this got so wild for me that i simply could not finish since i always got killed so quickly. I gave up at one point and probably will never return.

Now i am older and perhaps have not the patience anymore to be beaten down by a game.

Another one is Baldurs Gate 2. I just was never strong enough to face that damn dragon. Its quite sad actually. Invested a lot of time in the game, tried different plays but in the end i just never got the upper hand.

So thats a negative for me.

I have a lot of game, i think. Most games are more or less ongoing and i haven't given up on them. Yet.

Another one is Europe Universalis 3. Great game, but very complex. To complex for me. I originally was drawn to it because you can replay historical events. So i tried to start the game with a scenario. But it turns out that you need really to invest a lot of time to just start the game and understand its mechanics.

So yes, i stopped playing it. I think you probably have to be very dedicated to play such games. So i play mostly Civ instead.

Anyway, if you like to share what games made you quit, it would be interesting to know.

How knows, maybe i pick up one of the "unfinished" games one day. But for now, i do not think so.

Cheers.

BaK

BG

P:T

IWD1

IWD2

Arcanum

POI

Tyranny

All amazing games, some of which I have been trying to complete for decades. But they are so long I eventually either burn out, get bored or put them away because of lack of time and when I do have time, I don't remember what was going on, so I start over... and the cycle repeats.

Edited by belegost

skyrim, oddly enough. because i keep finding new mods or updating previous ones and, for the most stable game, doing those things requires a restart. XD

@wutpickel perhaps you could cheat against the dragon just so you can complete the story. :)

Of the games i bought only 2 remain unfinished.

Sekiro-Shadows die Twice :

The only game i regret buying.

Got bored and i liked DS3 and DS1 remaster so i thought it would be fun.

Played up to the Genichiro fight were all that was left was ridiculousness.

Didn't really like the setting and combat mechanics in the first place tho.

Dark Souls 2 :

Again, got bored, DS3 and DS1...

I might get back to it as a "boredom emergency" game but quite some stuff in there is just annoying.

Not that i did't listen to reviews...

2 minutes ago, Vader666 said:

Of the games i bought only 2 remain unfinished.

Sekiro-Shadows die Twice :

The only game i regret buying.

Got bored and i liked DS3 and DS1 remaster so i thought it would be fun.

Played up to the Genichiro fight were all that was left was ridiculousness.

Didn't really like the setting and combat mechanics in the first place tho.

Dark Souls 2 :

Again, got bored, DS3 and DS1...

I might get back to it as a "boredom emergency" game but quite some stuff in there is just annoying.

Not that i did't listen to reviews...

I played Demon Souls on the PS3. It was actually really fun. At first a shock but later quite enjoyable.

Haven't played Dark Soul Series though. Eh, thats a lie. I had played one of the earlier DS. Do not remember which one. No matter, i did not finish.

New Vegas. Because I found it boring. The factions are silly. From trippy hippies to Roman cosplayers. And the civil war being shoved in my face everywhere I go, I don't like that. I really don't like Legion, NCR nor Boomers. I rather eliminate them all. Khans are alright, never had any beef with them. But overall the whole "wasteland" was just boring to explore.

It's too progressed for my taste. Sense of danger was something that it lacked. The world just didn't feel threatening. Not until Lonesome Road and I wasn't too fond of the plot of that DLC.

At this point, I'm over the whole 40-50s culture and wackiness of Fallout. I prefer a world more modern and less gitty and wacky,

Edited by Guest

Control was free to get some weeks ago, yesterday I tried it and it was fun until the first boss, that kicked my ass once and again for an hour until I preferred doing other things.

I have probably finished like a 1% of all my games. Most of the times because they do not keep my interest long enough.

Never played a game I didn't finish.

If a game I finished sucked, the chances of ever buying a sequel or spin off are pretty much zero; aka any Ubi$haft game ever made.

Edited by 27X

Can I reverse the question? The number of games I did finish are very few.

Just a few examples of games I never finished:

* DeusEx Mankind Divided -> Final boos battle. Never started the battle

* Witcher2 -> For no apparent reasons when going close to the end

* Mafia 3 -> Never finished one of the DLCs. Started probably 5 times

* Fallout4 ->Lost interest just after mods where a thing

All of them, do not remember completing any game I own, well maybe skyrim though not even too sure about that to be honest, I get bored or something else catches my attention so stop playing them, I have numerous games where I have played 15-30 min then never played them again.

Never finished and don't plan to:

Mass Effect

Dragon Age 1

Dragon Age 2

Looks like Bioware RPG's just aren't my thing.

Started at least a year ago but still didn't finish:

Dark Souls 2

Bloodborne

Nier:Automata (although I finished the first playthrough as 2B)

Castle Crashers

Dishonored

Binary Domain

The Witcher 3

Divinity: Original Sin

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

DOOM

Lords of the Fallen (got about 10 minutes in)

Hollow Knight

I got into some gacha games, so normal games are on the back burner. But at least I made some nice progress in Binary Domain recently.

7 hours ago, CPU said:

That's me as well.

NWN1  - nope. Gave up at the boss fight at the end.

NWN2 - can't remember.

Total War (various) - I never play to the goals of any given campaign.

Morrowind  - nope.

Oblivion - played it twice up to where that juggernaut thing comes through the portal.

Skyrim  - never bothered attempting any of the vanilla stuff. I was led astray by modders and their mods.

Pillars of Eternity - don't think I finished that. End game boss fights are boring and their is no point getting the loot, if any.

Divinity: Original Sin II - definitely not. Larian games are crap.

Solasta: Crown of the Magister - just played that but stopped at the end game boss fight.

Umpteen other games which were so crap I can't remember what they were let alone if I finished them.

10 hours ago, EvalovesEP said:

Sims 4. I got it for my birthday, played some time. My good friend's niece (10) had a birthday and she wanted S4 but couldn't afford. I simply gave it to her.

This is game, that is so nicely to mod. I enjoyed for some time.

This and Bethesda games.

On 7/5/2021 at 1:59 PM, CPU said:

TL;DR: Steam refunds are the best feature.

This is about right :). OP's about to get more than was bargained for.

1) BioShock series --> They're not shooters. They're not RPGs. They have genuinely mean undertones. I almost finished 1; bailed on 2 half-way; and alt+f4'd the first level of Infinite.

2) Daikatana --> Even with community patches and a Quake obsession, I just couldn't play this one past the second level. "Square peg, round hole".

3) Dark Souls III --> I really hate this series. It opened the door for other developers to release bad games in droves. Ignoring bugs and broken code is only "hardcore" if you're thick.

4) Darksiders III --> Ruined by Souls. Missing features are marketed as "immersion". You spend the whole game in lock-on without a map. No thanks.

5) Dead Effect --> Only worth it in VR, but current headsets are designed to destroy necks. I value my neck more than this game.

6) Die Young --> Eclipsed by better games. Play Mirror's Edge instead.

7) DAI / DDDA --> Borderline JRPGs with terrible party controls and cringe dialog. Not even worth splitting into two lines for each game.

8) Dying Light --> A fine example of what NOT to do with an in-game camera. They may as well have taken out mouselook.

9) Far Cry 5/ND --> Where's my jetpack? Unrealistic rocket launcher? Games that insert violence into real life and don't try to do anything else make me depressed. Just, why?

10) FFXV --> Typical Japanese game. You're on rails and nothing makes sense. I decided to go fuck myself rather than play this ;).

11) Hellblade --> Misspent budget marketed as immersion. This should've been a CG movie. It would have worked out and given rise to more CG movies. Oh well....

12) Hexen --> I try to play this about once a year and give up on the hub map every time.

13) Kane & Lynch --> Camera Shake Guy was given the entire budget, which was promptly spent on hookers and blow. How else do you get a game like this??

14) Kingdom Come --> Right out of the gate, the UI tells you that this game is a disorganized mess. Went back to Skyrim.

15) MGSV --> It's clear the devs got lost in the weeds half-way along. Tiny, irrelevant systems are fully fleshed out while core gameplay is full of jank. Disappointing.

16) Monument --> An indie shooter that almost hit a sweet spot. I think the developer is a college kid. This game wasn't ready for sale, but I'm keeping an eye on this dev!

17) NeonXSZ --> I didn't realize it was a rogue-like. They took the best idea ever -- neon Descent with generated levels -- and ruined it by punishing the player for playing.

18) Quake Champions --> There's no way to "finish" this, but given my 10,000 hours in idTech2/idTech3, I was expecting to get more than 10 hours out of QC. Game's a mess!!!

19) Sacred 3 --> Yeah, that's not a Sacred game.

20) Serious Sam 3 --> Fails to up the ante on the previous games.

21) Shadowrun Chronicles --> I wanted to play this, but the servers shut down. Thanks, centralized planning!

22) Sleeping Dogs --> The Japanese version of Kane & Lynch. Fortunately, Camera Shake Guy wasn't available for hire.

23) Trine --> I don't know who this was made for. It's too slow and predictable for old gamers, but too complex and twitchy for newcomers.

This hobby is a waste of time if you're a consumer.... but as a producer, gaming is a lot of fun! I just got done writing a little weapons refresh mod for Doom 3 (Soul Cube needed more "oomph" :)), Skyrim's always there with 10 billion mods. NFS Heat is a total blast after I modded the game and removed the cops (available on Nexus). There are plenty of good games out there, but they're wildly outnumbered by the bad ones. Every time I look at the Steam store page, I scratch my head and wonder how it is we got here.

I can't really think of many games that i played but never finished but Witcher 3 comes to mind right away, i actually dropped it after around 40 minutes or so. I don't know, the game just didn't hook me like i expected it to after hearing it being praised as "the best rpg ever" which made no sense to be since the game has a fixed protagonist with a predefined personality. I played it on a friend's ps4 though so i didn't have to worry about refunding anything and even my friend was like "it's meh really, i just don't hate it".

I think what really put me off was the horrible voice of the protagonist, i don't know if he's supposed to sound like he snorts powered glass every morning but it was just painful to go through any dialogue and hear that scratchy ass voice. Absolute wack voice acting.

Next one i think is Bully by Rockstar, i was actually kinda into when when i was playing it at first but lost interest afterwards and never went back.

Another one would be Delta Force Black Hawk Down + Team Sabre, mainly because it's WAY TOO DIFFICULT!! WHAT THE FUCK!! lol seriously the game has zero chill. I still play it sometimes and try to get through it but fuck do i hate when i eventually lose. Brilliant game though.

Got to say, that i wished i never sold my consoles.

Anyway, i am done with Skyrimy and Fallouty.

I do not think i will ever touch them again. I just played to much with it.

I did enjoy Demon Souls, which i finished. Did not had a chance to play the newer Dark Souls series.

But i have my eye on a supposedly punishing game called Darkest Dungeon. God, i love games that just kill you. Thats why i enjoy playing RE so much.

I think Bards Tale is one of the games that is a lot of grinding and you die a lot too. But its actually fun.

The most recent game i bought, which i put down quickly was Atom RPG. Its really hard. I was not even able to shot anything. Maybe some day i will pick that up.

The most rewarding game i played so far was Streets of Rogue. Man, this is such a fun title. Again, you die a lot. But i just loving to play it. The best character that i played was a zombie. Such fun. Never really reached upper levels, besides level 4 i think because, you die a lot.

I think this was the best investment in a game.

1 hour ago, dxw said:

7) DAI / DDDA --> Borderline JRPGs with terrible party controls and cringe dialog. Not even worth splitting into two lines for each game.

15) MGSV --> It's clear the devs got lost in the weeds half-way along. Tiny, irrelevant systems are fully fleshed out while core gameplay is full of jank. Disappointing.

Both completed for me. DDDA a few times, I think I remember all the map and the spawn points as my pockets. MGS V up to the last completable mission. Of course I did not get all triple S in all missions (probably I got it only once.)

Actually I liked both games. And I did nude mods for both games.

Daggerfall and Morrowind

Now I still have original copies of both (and even Arena), but they don't work on my more modern PC.  Well, there is the UNITY Daggerfall project, which works VERY well and does have the original content (but the cheat I used to buy a freakin mansion was taken out).   I'm gonna think about buying Morrowind at GOG pretty soon.  I loved the ambience and unique culture therein.

And what of Arena?  Yeah, I beat it.  Granted, one may think the main objective is really just fetch quests more than anything nowadays.