Name games you never finished and the reasons why.

For those of us who lived during the high era of arcade games and video rentals, the most common answers were:

1. The game is too difficult to finish in the time frame that it is available for in the arcade or the rental store or with the amount of money that was saved up to play it. 

2. The game was not interesting enough to finish in the availability window when other games are competing for our limited time. 

In the age of consoles, it could be as simple as:

1. The console no longer functions.

2. The game was worth too much money on the collector's market to hang onto it for long enough to finish it, possibly reducing its resell value in the process. 

In the age of Steam, the answers are:

1. There are too many other things that are more interesting to play right now. I will get back to it later. 

2. I forgot that I even had this game in my collection. 

3. I bought this in a bundle so I played it once to see what it was about before going back to playing the game that I actually purchased the bundle for. 

@FauxFurry Very true. For Steam or GOG, i make all the time the mistake to put stuff in my wishlist only to having bought it and never touch it.

It think that is what companies are bedding you do. Spend money and do not even use it.
At least that how i ended up with many games i never really played. What a waste.

Fable 3. Played a couple hours, absolutely loathed how they butchered the magic system and screwed up the level up rewards system. The only pre-order I regret.

Mirrors Edge: Catalyst - Couldn't quite get the timing down for some of the wacky movement controls

Thief 4 : I stopped playing 5mn in when I realized the jumps were situational. Instant heartbreak. Square has a special place in my heart now. And my blacklist

AC Syndicate : Yea I know ACs aren't great, I played them all since release so it was a sort of ... pêché mignon. But Syndicate kept behaving like a goddamn circus monkey, never takng anything seriously, trivialized parkour with the rope, every characters tried to be a comic relief, so all that was left was repetitive missions, an irrelevant gang system and a boring grind to unlock a bunch of nothing in an already boring setting & boring era. Didn't play any AC since

Darkest Dungeon : I really like it despite the often unfair RnG, I played it on & off since early access but each time they added a new class or dlc I'd start a new game, which made it tedious in the end. Saw there's some sexy skins mods so I might pick it up again

The Witcher 1 2 & 3 : Started with 3, which left me extremely frustrated, not being able to understand character relations, prior events, etc. Picked up 1 and the leap between 1& 3 is pretty impressive.. Had a hard time forcing myself through the first town doing all missions and reading everything, eventually dropped after doing a good chunk of it

Edited by Guest

Skyrim and Skyrim SE - because of mods and modding

Fallout 3 and New Vegas

Civilization VI - because of mods and modding

Horizon Zero Dawn - Might get back to it, but it lacked something to make me fall for it

King's Bounty: Dark Side - Finally got tired of the series in the 4th game because it felt awkward playing the "evil" side, but the first two are great!

Heroine's Quest - Last boss was frustrating and defeating him only felt like a formality

Unavowed - Might take it up eventually

Lake Ridden - The story was too weak

Legend of Grimrock 2 - Didn't feel like finishing it

God Catching Alchemy Meister - This is a unique game with very interesting gameplay and I recommend it for fans of VNs or J-RPGs. Plays like a combo of VN and top-town, turn based strategy RPG, with some H-scenes on the side. I just got tired of it.

Edited by Inception

I've b ought and tried many indie or low-budget games to support those developers.  Most of them I'll put 20 minutes into, then move on.  I HATE non-standard controls.  I play with a keyboard and mouse, and I want to play the game, not try to remember the "clever" control system.  I don't want to have to move the door lever with my mouse every time.  I don't want to pull the door/drawer open with my mouse, when a simple click would have worked.  I want to move my character around with a keyboard AND mouse, just not with keys only.

So, any game with wonky controls, I give up on.  I don't want to, I want to enjoy the story, and the graphics, and the gameplay.

True Crime NYC - Great game like GTA but more cop like, I was young easily distracted so I never got to finish it before I got hooked by another game. PS2 emus still can't do it justice unfortunately.

The Outer Worlds - Literally a fallout game. I don't know why I find it so fucking boring I'm guessing years of excessively modding fallout games desensitized me to the whole vanilla fallout vibe which this game gives off but its not just that, I couldn't find any appeal in the characters, the locales were colorful but feels empty and dead, I couldn't care less for the plot and story. I'm on PS4 so that's a no for nexusmods.

Dragon Age Inquisition - Absolutely fantastic game but just like every other bioware game I've played it is basically a loading screen simulator. I started playing on PC without an SSD so it was a nightmare later I transitioned to PS4 and the loading times "seemingly" feels shorter than in PC but I couldn't rekindle the hype and never played it again.

God Eater 3 - Very good series unfortunately each new title just feels like a dlc for the last one, a full game priced dlc.

- Never finished any Final Fantasy after 8 (exception is 14, the mmo. I still play it) because the quality went to shit. Don't even get me started on 13 and 15.

- Outer Worlds - I finished but to this day, I'm not sure what's going on in there. The characters were some of the most shallow I've ever seen in a game. Didn't bother with DLC.

- Cyberpunk 2077 - Just... meh. Dragged myself to the end asap, just to see the Aldecaldo ending. Trashed it afterwards and it's now rotting in my GOG list.

- Days Gone - Should be called Days Bugged.

- Horizon Zero Dawn - Should be called Horizon Bugs Dawn.

- Any Witcher game - I fail to understand what's so hyped about those games, unless "boring af" is something to be hyped. Rotting in my GOG list.

- Saints Row 4 - Was funny only for so long.

- Kingdom Come: Deliverance - Motion sickness electric boogaloo. Survived 5 mins before I refunded.

Just to name a few...

Edited by DoneBye

Chernobylite

Dropped it after about 20mins it was just so glitchy and boring. Reminded me of the reasons why I stopped playing metro exodus, some weirdo whamen trying really hard to tell me what to do all the time and of course really annoying intro aka tutorial. Once I stared at the npcs for more than a few seconds in chernobylite I realized just how badly they were modeled and then the whole game just appeared low poly to me. Lots of textures and some AMD gimmick built in but the game is just moar of the same. 

Why is it that every one of these russian fallout games has to center around a broken down nuclear reactor and have a bossy annoying beeeetch telling the player what to do? What is it with russian game companies? don't they drink enough to deafen the yapping of annoying females around them all day? I thought russians knew how to drink dammit. I'm so tired of magic mysterious radiation that can only be found in russia.

I guess I can include TES4 Oblivion. I played it for about 2 hours first time. I made sure to install unofficial patches and it crashed within the few hours. Uninstalled it and never cared to try again. I'm pretty much done putting any sort of effort to install and get a Bethesda game to work as best as possible. Since my Skyrim LE is flawless, I never plan to uninstall it. And I'll give Oblivion a retry when ever SkyBlivion is officially released. Didn't like much of the mechanics in Oblivion anyways.

9 hours ago, Zor2k13 said:

Chernobylite

Dropped it after about 20mins it was just so glitchy and boring. Reminded me of the reasons why I stopped playing metro exodus, some weirdo whamen trying really hard to tell me what to do all the time and of course really annoying intro aka tutorial. Once I stared at the npcs for more than a few seconds in chernobylite I realized just how badly they were modeled and then the whole game just appeared low poly to me. Lots of textures and some AMD gimmick built in but the game is just moar of the same. 

Why is it that every one of these russian fallout games has to center around a broken down nuclear reactor and have a bossy annoying beeeetch telling the player what to do? What is it with russian game companies? don't they drink enough to deafen the yapping of annoying females around them all day? I thought russians knew how to drink dammit. I'm so tired of magic mysterious radiation that can only be found in russia.

The flashes on that game almost gave me seizures. Trashed it really fast.

Funny enough I never "finished" Skyrim or Fallout IV - I'm just having way too much fun with the LoversLab mods in those to bother about ending them. None of my saved characters ever concluded those stories.

Edited by Mauserl

Looks like I'll be adding Pathfinder: Kingmaker to my list. I'm currently at the beginning of the end game and I've lost the will to live due to not having a clue what I'm supposed to be doing next. Nothing in the journal, nothing on the world map but my Kingdom stats are getting tanned because I'm not attending to the main quest. If I didn't have the kingdom management part on 'easy' setting I would have lost by now.

I have an entire catalogue of minor gripes I could go into. It's not a patch on Solasta (and I didn't finish that).

Recently reinstalled Hellgate: London, and dropped off it again after a dozen hours or so.

I have fond memories of the game from when it released, and I like the premise a lot, but I'm not sure it's stood the test of time. The skill trees are disappointingly bland, and the gameplay was fun to begin with but felt fairly repetitive to me. Whenever I've gotten a hankering for this game I've always played it to around the British Museum then went "eh... I'm good". That's where the honeymoon novelty phase from the cool premise kind of wears off, I think.

I think this or a sequel that iterated on its concept and mechanics would have been pretty good as an MMO. I don't think it passes the bar as a single-player "dungeon looter", unfortunately.

---

Sometime last month I also went through my Steam backlog and installed a bunch of first-person "walking simulators" in my library. Some that I've played before, some that I haven't. I think I may be getting old because first-person games give me intense motion sickness now. Stanley Parable, What Remains of Edith Finch, Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Obduction, I can't play them for more than 15 minutes straight before I have to turn off the game and go take an aspirin.

I would have to say of the few games I did not finish, Contra Shattered Soldier for playstation 2 is the most memorable for me. I remember how excited I was to get it but that game kicked my ass from here to Konami headquarters lol. They give you a few different maps to choose at start and no matter which one I chose was always destroyed. Never got through a single level of that game. Major props to anyone who made it through without cheats cause that one was brutal. Awesome game though and alot of love went into it, always sad I was so bad at it but still was alot of fun

9 minutes ago, Inception said:

In cases like this the internet comes to the rescue. Have you ever tried searching for a walkthrough?

I had 3 on the go. I eventually made some progress by using a mod - 'Bag of Tricks' - to reveal some hidden locations on the world map. I visited a few of these which got the game (scripts?) to provide more info.

I played on for a bit then got bored and left it.

I'm not a fan of the Pathfinder rule set.

Pillars of Eternity I enjoyed but didn't finish - not a fan of firearms in fantasy RPG games and it seemed to run out of steam/ideas towards the end.

Solasta is the best of the bunch IMO.

On 7/29/2021 at 4:04 PM, Grey Cloud said:

Looks like I'll be adding Pathfinder: Kingmaker to my list. I'm currently at the beginning of the end game and I've lost the will to live due to not having a clue what I'm supposed to be doing next. Nothing in the journal, nothing on the world map but my Kingdom stats are getting tanned because I'm not attending to the main quest. If I didn't have the kingdom management part on 'easy' setting I would have lost by now.

I have an entire catalogue of minor gripes I could go into. It's not a patch on Solasta (and I didn't finish that).

In cases like this the internet comes to the rescue. Have you ever tried searching for a walkthrough? You could even ask on the steam forum. I'm sure there are people who know what to do. If you still WANT to finish it that is.

I played it for awhile but didn't really get stuck. The story lacked something to pull me in and the sheer size of the map felt a bit overwhelming for an isometric RPG. But I love the Pathfinder ruleset. It's the one thing that got me interested in the first place. Might take it up again in the future. Feel free to tell me if things get more interesting later in the game, because it didn't really live up to expectations.

A friend recommended Pillars of Eternity II to me. That might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

Edited by Inception
40 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

I had 3 on the go. I eventually made some progress by using a mod - 'Bag of Tricks' - to reveal some hidden locations on the world map. I visited a few of these which got the game (scripts?) to provide more info.

I played on for a bit then got bored and left it.

I'm not a fan of the Pathfinder rule set.

Pillars of Eternity I enjoyed but didn't finish - not a fan of firearms in fantasy RPG games and it seemed to run out of steam/ideas towards the end.

Solasta is the best of the bunch IMO.

Solasta got good ratings but the character look very generic with those 3D portraits. Does it have companions like in Pathfinder or do you make a party of mercenaries? I hate when all your characters are empty shells without their own personality. Works for first person dungeon crawlers like Grimrock, but not isometric RPGs where the dialogue is a big part of the game.

Dragon Age 2.

Unlike Dragon Age: Origins gameplay, plot and characters, I just couldn't get into it. The environments were repetitive and dull. And the combat system turned into "spam the attack button and stuff happens" with little rhyme or reason. I usually love BioWare games, the ME trilogy and Neverwinter Nights being some of my all-time favs, but Dragon Age 2 was just a big letdown. Not to mention that for every DA game, you play a different character altogether, but can still import saves from previous games. I just failed to see the point in this series.

You can make choices that has an impact on the world, but if I am not the same character as I was before in each installment, then it has little emotional impact on me. Same with encountering characters from the previous games. The main character from the another game might know who these people are, but the one I play as now does not, so it does nothing for me. Narratively they should have stuck to having the same playable character throughout the series and kept the combat from the first game rather than the typical hack-and-slash.

I will probably finish it one day, but it's near the bottom of my "game priority" list.