Name games you never finished and the reasons why.

7 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

@Just Checking

just finished watching this

Dragon Age - An Entire Series Retrospective and Analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc8Bn8yqPYQ

I didn't agree with everything but I enjoyed it and thought it fair comment.

I'll have to put that one on the backburner for a while, I don't know if I have the attention span right now for a 2 and a half hour video, but it'll be worth a watch.  I've played and loved each of the DA games for their own reasons, but seeing how each one changed, from story presentation to overall tone and play style, has been interesting, and one game will stand out for each player while the others just might not vibe with them.  It's interesting hearing other people's perspectives on things, I always come away from them with a new way to look at it and more respect for the nuance of a situation, especially creative endeavors like stories.

I did it. I finished DA: Inquisition and what a massive anticlimax.

Fight boss called Corypheus with his c. 250,000 HP. Most of the damage is done by my three party members as the big C is forever jumping around the area so my mage and rogue  can get at him from where they are standing and my tank knows where he will land due to the AI.

Anyway we eventually get him down to about a third of his strength and he beams out and the fight shifts to his dragon and my ally dragon (the original premise of this was that the ally took out his dragon so I could fettle the big C). But hey, his dragon takes out my ally so I can get to fight one last dragon (we've already accounted for 11 in the game).  The c. 336,000 HP dragon is down to about half strength. Same sketch as the other 11 dragons we all hammer away he jumps about the place making me run around like a lunatic but slowly because I've got my weapon on parade.

Eventually we finish off the dragon and Corypheus turns up right on cue (I'm a great admirer of punctuality). Hit, hit, run, run, run, hit, run, hit, run. We get him down on to his knees with a handful of health left and he goes for the 'you'll never take me alive, copper' routine and makes to destroy the world but I out-magic his magic and stop it and he dies.

The only damage I took was on the way up to Corypheus when I walked off the edge of a floor (it's in a ruined castle at night) and fell to the floor below. The rest of the party was unharmed and no potions were used.

I only did the fight because there is a DLC sequally thing which rolls after the end game.

18 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

Fight boss called Corypheus with his c. 250,000 HP. Most of the damage is done by my three party members as the big C is forever jumping around the area so my mage and rogue  can get at him from where they are standing and my tank knows where he will land due to the AI.

Anyway we eventually get him down to about a third of his strength and he beams out and the fight shifts to his dragon and my ally dragon (the original premise of this was that the ally took out his dragon so I could fettle the big C). But hey, his dragon takes out my ally so I can get to fight one last dragon (we've already accounted for 11 in the game).  The c. 336,000 HP dragon is down to about half strength. Same sketch as the other 11 dragons we all hammer away he jumps about the place making me run around like a lunatic but slowly because I've got my weapon on parade.

Eventually we finish off the dragon and Corypheus turns up right on cue (I'm a great admirer of punctuality). Hit, hit, run, run, run, hit, run, hit, run. We get him down on to his knees with a handful of health left and he goes for the 'you'll never take me alive, copper' routine and makes to destroy the world but I out-magic his magic and stop it and he dies.

The only damage I took was on the way up to Corypheus when I walked off the edge of a floor (it's in a ruined castle at night) and fell to the floor below. The rest of the party was unharmed and no potions were used.

I only did the fight because there is a DLC sequally thing which rolls after the end game.

EDIT 17th September.

I've binned the Trespasser DLC sequel as I was losing the will to live. The appearance of another dragon was the last straw.

On 9/13/2021 at 1:21 AM, Vyxenne said:
  • Does not protect new level 1 characters from pvp gankers once they venture forth on their first quest
  • Allows/incentivizes starting area spawn point/player corpse/loot bag camping by high level characters
  • Entire inventory is lost when killed with no chance of recovery since spawn points/corpses are camped and eventually looted by high-level gankers, OR corpse loot bags just "expire" after unclaimed by the dead-and-rekilled player for a certain period of time, OR once the frustrated (and dead) player rage-logs. It doesn't matter how/why the loot bags are gone when the player finally makes her way back to their location bc the result is the same: inventory is not recoverable after the unavoidable deaths

For one, there is no interaction with lv1 characters, they hit lv2 just by leaving the starter vault, also there is no pvp before lv5 completely impossible the game system does not allow it and never has, after lv5 pvp is unlocked automatically (and the setting can be set back in the game options), but even then unless you are in a owned/claimed workshop zone, you would have to attack the other player back to set damage to full, otherwise you take well pretty much trivial damage, regardless of the other players level.

The only inventory items lost when you die in game are junk (unless you were playing on the now long dead survival servers) and even then a bag with all the items you dropped in it will be left where you die, that should remain until you reclaim it or another player does, though if you leave the server then you will loose it as dropped loot is server based not character based.

Spongebob Squarepants Movie for PS2

My friend stole the disc

Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix

races get really hard and I didnt have time anymore

Lost Planet 2

my laptop got stolen

GTA San Andreas

laptop got stolen

Halo 2

Stopped working on my win7 and Halo MCC updated too frequently for me to want to keep it installed

Icewind Dale

Boredom

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance

Moved away from friend and it's boring solo

Mass Effect 3

heard it was disappointing

SSX3

got bored

Midnight Club LA

PS3 got stolen

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4

PS2 got stolen

R-Type: Final

Couldn't get passed the 2nd level because of a scratched disc

Plenty of other games but I'm tired as shit and drunk as fuck so I can't remember

On 9/16/2021 at 7:22 PM, Grey Cloud said:

Yeah. I finished that game also. Had my mage leveled where basically she was an unstoppable wrecking machine as long as I kept attacking with her.

Edited by KoolHndLuke

Skyward Sword is the only game I've never finished (thanks to gamefaqs starting being a thing, I even managed to finish Wizardy V).

I always got frustrated of condescendingly being treated like an idiot with a fish-like memory span, but the last nail in the coffin was a battle with that black Muppet from the intro.

I kept dying, and thanks to the stellar and smart design decision of not letting you skip cutscenes, I had to watch the whole 3 minutes of that idiot movie over and over again.

I had not rage quit a game since I was 9 years old, but at least I came back to eventually finish them.

That didn't happen with that fucking stupid game (yeah... I'm still salty after almost 10 years xD).

Dishonored 2 - because 10 Minutes Pausing at main menu every start

Horizon Zero Dawn - unfixed 20 minutes shader calculation on every start

GTA-5 - They lied about IPv6 connectivity

Witcher-3 Wild Hunt - stupid unadjustable followup camera

Assassins Creed Odyssey + Origins - Sluggish PC behaviour where hardware behind does not matter

Short form - if you got pain in the ass instead of gaming fun, it's ditched here

Over the last decade or so ,I stopped buying games with the intention that Im going to beat them. I have dropped games for many reasons ,such as not liking a MC, crappy story lines, and Bad pacing (grinding as filler to pad game length), and a plethora of others. Now I only buy games that seem interesting or are from developers I want to support financially. 

2 hours ago, Zethaneff said:

GTA-5 - They lied about IPv6 connectivity

if you disable ipv4 in windows the game will use ipv6

2 hours ago, Zethaneff said:

Assassins Creed Odyssey + Origins - Sluggish PC behaviour where hardware behind does not matter

blame denuvo

Edited by RussianPrince

For me i think it's because of getting old and less time i think, im 30 now i used to play for hours when i was back at school, i had less games and money but now as an adult i can get any game i want, any system i want but im like meh why. I bought 3 games on steam last week that where on sale, i don't even have the pleasure to play them but i know i would have if i was younger. 

I even want to get the ps5 just for the demon souls game, but i know if i get it i only going to touch it for like 5 minutes and get bored of if.

16 minutes ago, The Corsair said:

For me i think it's because of getting old and less time i think, im 30 now i used to play for hours when i was back at school, i had less games and money but now as an adult i can get any game i want, any system i want but im like meh why. I bought 3 games on steam last week that where on sale, i don't even have the pleasure to play them but i know i would have if i was younger. 

I even want to get the ps5 just for the demon souls game, but i know if i get it i only going to touch it for like 5 minutes and get bored of if.

Well, its the curse.

Of course it is.

I rebought some of the games i played as in my younger years only to find out, that they frankly not as great as i thought they were. There is a lot of nostalgia that comes when you are getting older. Memories are in our head and those companies know this. So we buy more than we otherwise would.

Now i have a lot of games i actually only played for a short time or not at all.

I play now Sims over and over and i never will ever finish it. What a dream :)

Almost every game I play is unfinished tbh. I dont really try to invest myself in solo story games anymore because I can never finish them for some reason. However, BOTW was an exception to that (and thats also why its one of my favs as well) but thats really the only recent solo story game Ive played and actually finished in a while. Now I just play simple games like BTD6, games that I could play for 20-30 minutes and then put down and do something else. I kinda just watch YT videos or Twitch streams to pass the time now.

I'm horrible at finishing games.  Started the Witcher 3 about five or six times and never finished it.  I love the story, the world, the main character... yet, something about the game doesn't hold onto me.  Every time, I get past the first town or two.  I know I'll just go back to playing Skyrim... because I can make that look close to next gen - as I mod and make it almost a different game, where each playthrough is a different character with a different past, and so on. It's hard to have that kind of freedom, and try to go back on the rails of a linear game again.

It amuses me to look back on the games of yesteryear when considering this question as there was no such concept as completion tied to any video game shortly after the birth of the medium. In a real sense, none of us ever finished a game until the time of Super Mario Brothers of The Legend of Zelda. Even then, there was the option to endlessly loop the new quest modes so the completion was a technicality at best. 

All of them? Way too many ... I just have this habit of starting a game, even good ones, and just play it, until some part in the middle, or close to the end ... and then start anew. New char, different strategy, new race, higher difficulty etc...

And then I just burn out...

Also those damn open world games...Assassins Creed Odyssey, Witcher 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4, New Vegas...only Skyrim I once finished after many years of constantly replaying with new chars.And still not finished the Dragonborn DLC...

Also never finished Dragon Age 2...but the DLCs. Witcher Blod & Wine - got so bored I never looked back at doing it until the end. Xcom 1-2 - never finsihed a campaign.  Most Total War games I never cared to complete a campaign as well.

That list will gon on and on...

For me, I usually finish the games that I play. My problem is that I buy too many games without playing them at all lol. I have a big backlog that's collecting dust...

For those people that can't seem to finish a Bethesda game, don't look at it as if somehow completing the main story equals "finishing the game". Don't. Just don't. The beauty of Bethesda game is that it's a lot more open-world and open-ended compared to most games of the modern generation. How you should look at it is this: Does it feel like my character has achieved THEIR goals? For example, even if that goal is simply joining a faction and then completing that faction's story, then you're technically done. In no way is your character obligated to deviate from whatever head-canon you've established for them. Yes, that means it's perfectly OKAY to ignore the main story if it means sticking close to your character's backstory and head-canon.

Again, that's the beauty of Bethesda games. Other games almost always force you to go through the main campaign, and those same games never give you that feeling of completeness until you've finished the main campaign. Dark Souls, Witcher, any Bioware game, any Ubisoft game, just about every other game's the same, but they're nothing like Bethesda games. It's by design, but they fail where Bethesda games succeed in letting YOU (the player) choose how you want your character' story to be and where they go. And the possibilities are even more now thanks to mods, which again only Bethesda games give you that much freedom with mods. Just look at Nexus and see what the top modded games are, that should speak for itself.

Edited by HentaiGnome
3 hours ago, jxm said:

....And still not finished the Dragonborn DLC...

I think, as Skyrim DLCs, I only vaguely started Dawnguard, for sure never completed it. As Hearthfire and Dragonborn I never started either.

On 9/18/2021 at 10:10 PM, wutpickel said:

I play now Sims over and over and i never will ever finish it. What a dream :)

Actually, you never truly "finish" the Sims. It's open-ended by design. You have life aspirations, but they're just neat goals, but at the end of the day Sims games are meant to be played forever. That's why there's even "generational challenges" where you're tasked with seeing how far can your Sim's lineage go.

If anything, Sims is a perfect example of a game that matches how I describe Bethesda games to be in my post above. Even when it comes to the modding scene lol.

17 minutes ago, CPU said:

I think, as Skyrim DLCs, I only vaguely started Dawnguard, for sure never completed it. As Hearthfire and Dragonborn I never started either.

And that's fine! :) As in my post above, if you feel like your character's not obligated to get into those DLCs then you don't have to lol. Just create a new character solely for those DLCs, even ignoring the main story or other factions if it means actually having the motivation to go start the DLCs straightaway. I actually did that with Dawnguard a few months back where I felt like my character wasn't supposed to be a Dragonborn, but a vampire hunter lol.

Edited by HentaiGnome