Name games you never finished and the reasons why.

One I've played the most actually. Skyrim, over 1926 hrs (currently as of right now) and I've never completed the main story. I've completed Dragonborn and Dawnguard but never the main story. Why? After awhile I get bored with whatever character I'm playing, get to strong and the game becomes boring. Or I'll pick a faction to join and once thats completed I lose interest. I tend to RP the character, mainly pick an idea when I make a new one. Like this time I am going to be a thief, limited to 1h weapons, leather armor, and maybe only illusion magic. Or decide to be a healer, 1h weapons, shield, heavy armor, and restoration magic. Someday I'll finish it. Maybe...

I will have to put Bladed Fury on the list of games that I forgot that I purchased the full version of during a sales event after playing a demo or free weekend. I played it for the first time yesterday so I have yet to finish it simply because I was unaware that I actually could finish what was sitting in the library at all. 

Hmm...i think i will list most the ones that i probably never can finish due being too hard area/boss/ scratch in cd/ dvd/ by platform

Xbox 360 

Jrpg:s that gradually come more difficult in battles as you progres. I either got halfway or near the 4 last areas. They are also only for Xbox 360 

Eternal sonata

Lost Odyssey

Infinite Undiscovery

Blue Dragon

I like Jrpg:s not always the story make sense but characters their personalities skits and facial expressions not to mention amazing looking magic/sword techniques makes them worth to play in small amounts time to time. they are not for everyone but there are some rough diamonds in hidden where one can find a rpg that he/she enjoys to play.

Pc hmm this is...hard i dont have cd place in my pc anymore and all games have changed being digital download in 2014 onwards. I have lot of games that i cant play anymore due that so i only list the rarer ones that i never get to finish.

Heroes of might and magic 3 this is an classic that i absolutely loved. i had complete edition with all dlc:s 

Mass efect 2 got maybe half way but then...well classic cant figure out how to survive in battles XD not to mention i cant even enjoy the mirandas ass view or night club dancers. 

There are some games that i eventually try return and see if i can finish them

Witcher 3 

Dragon age inquisition

Red dead redemption 2 

final Fantasy 7 and 9 maybe even 12 but that game is hardest one of these 3 older ff games. 

Sacred 2 

Elders scrolls 4 oblivion. 

Star ocean series games (there are some that you can buy in ps 4 store) 

Tales of vesperia

most recently, I started Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag and gave up after struggling against the brutal controls for a long time.  The character was constantly going in the wrong direction, getting caught on invisible walls, jumping the wrong way and simply falling to his death because he suddenly forgot how to hold onto a ledge.  Add to that too many tailing missions and it was bye bye.

Like everyone else I have plenty, but there's a few in particular I keep trying to go back to with the intent to finish and just never do for some reason.

DA:Inquisition - I actually really enjoy this one, but there's two issues I have.  Firstly, I love bioware games because I like the way they write your companions, I just find the characters to be the most enjoyable parts of the games.  Unfortunately, your allies in Inquisition just didn't hit the same mark with me.  They were more grounded than 2's range of fantastical and whimsical children you and Aveline need to babysit, but not grounded enough to feel like Origin's and Awakening's dark fantasy survivors.  Maybe it's because the setting didn't quite feel quite as grim as Origins' was and the characters couldn't bounce off it the same way.  Secondly, the game's so damn big and has so many side objectives that I get burned out doing them instead of progressing the story.

Fallout 4 - Another one I get burned out on before I finish the story missions.  I started playing Fallout with 3, which shares aspects of its gameplay loop with Oblivion.  As a result, I learned to play fallout as a shooter looter more than anything else, going back to my favourite locations to kill the respawned raiders and sell their gear.  New Vegas, by comparison, felt kind of empty to me because it wasn't designed around finding dungeons that only exist for killing things and revisiting them later to do it again, but rather actual quests and objectives that take you to places that are basically just there for that objective specifically.  Still finished NV, though, probably because it was a pretty tight experience.  4, however, I get too sidetracked clearing dungeons, building things, upgrading my stuff, and then by the time I get to story missions I feel weird and overpowered, so I kind of lose interest and just go back to mindlessly grinding better stuff.

Skyrim - I can tell you exactly why I've never finished this, I just don't find the dragons questline very interesting.  I've played hundreds of hours, I've done Dawnguard and Dragonborn a couple times, but I can never get much past the summit to decide what to do about the dragons.  The vanilla main questline just doesn't grab me.  I did the civil war a couple times to try both sides but neither side is distinct enough from the other to feel memorable.  Still play this game a bunch to this day, but I've stopped trying to convince myself I'm going to finish the base game's main quests.  I played crazy amounts of Morrowind and Oblivion throughout my childhood and into my adulthood as well, but I actually finished those games' main storylines.  Bethesda games were always about exploring and finding loot to me, and maybe there was just something in those earlier game's stories (Yeah, even Oblivion's) that just resonated a bit more with me.

VTM:Bloodlines - Learned about this game years ago through a youtube LP or something, picked it up myself because it looked cool.  Found I really like the VTM setting, the whole secret community of super powered vampires living among mortals and doing all their own crazy politicking while trying to avoid the attention of governments and monster hunters really grabbed me, I found the plot of Bloodlines interesting, the gameplay, while kinda janky without community patches, was still playable, I just always get to a certain point and then something else catches my interest.  This is the only game in this list that isn't open world with respawning enemies and randomly generated loot.

Biggest issue for me is just burnout, but specifically it's burnout on making actual progress.  I can throw myself into dungeon after dungeon, or just gather resources or level up endlessly like I'm some kind of extremely single minded zombie, but once I decide "No, this is the run I actually complete the game on" and stop exploring and gathering shiny bits of scrap metal and cool rocks my cave man brain says "No.  You're bored now."  I did recently purchase and finish Fallen Order, which was pretty enjoyable, all things considered, but exploration in that game was handled very specifically, and all the areas were ultimately pretty linear, just with a lot of flipping and crawling to get through them, so I guess my biggest issue is if I have the option to fuck around endlessly, I'll go do that rather than actually experience the intended purpose of a game.

Spoiler

Borderlands

Loved 2, pre-sequel and played through all the DLCs in both in UVHM, but BL1 was again, just too damn boring and slow.

Devil May Cry

Again, I was tiny, and couldn't figure out some puzzle/didn't know where to go.

Duke Nukem Forever

This was the second game I left unfinished, because I was too bored to continue.

Final Fantasy VII

This was years ago, and I had some kind of PC port, and it looked and played real crusty, so I dropped it.

Godzilla on Gameboy

This game was just so boring, even as a 6yo kid, I couldn't be bothered.

Half-Life

Again, many years ago, I got stuck and didn't know where to go.

Resident Evil 2

Was tiny, and I was too spooked by the zombies. Also got stuck.

Star Craft 2: Heart of Swarm

I got like 70% through the campaign and got bored.

TES: Arena

This was years ago, but, I never could figure out how to swing my sword. I suppose this counts as being "too hard".

Warhammer 40K Dawn of War: Dark Crusade

Apparently this was the "best" of Dawn of War 1, but I got bored. Did finish base and winter assault though, never bought Soulstorm.

Like some others the list of unfinished games is long, hell I don't even remember them all.
The reasons I quit were rather straight forward however.

First off being that while the game sounded pretty good but ended up being boring or just too stupid to deal with.

Secondly as a gamer I personally suck, so some were just too damn hard and I gave up.

Last but not least something else new and shiny came along and I got caught up in it instead.

On 9/8/2021 at 1:26 AM, Just Checking said:

DA:Inquisition - I actually really enjoy this one,

I'm currently at the end game on this - just doing the Jaws of Hakkon DLC before the MQ finale. It's been a love-hate relationship thus far. I'm the opposite to you in that I like the size and I'm not so keen on the main plot. As for followers, I'm not a fan of them in any game in terms of their character and relationships and all that. Naff dialogue, schoolboy humour, quasi-philosophical and quasi-psychological rubbish don't do it for me.

2 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

I'm currently at the end game on this - just doing the Jaws of Hakkon DLC before the MQ finale. It's been a love-hate relationship thus far. I'm the opposite to you in that I like the size and I'm not so keen on the main plot. As for followers, I'm not a fan of them in any game in terms of their character and relationships and all that. Naff dialogue, schoolboy humour, quasi-philosophical and quasi-psychological rubbish don't do it for me.

When you get to the final fight, I want you to remember this: "The entire point of all has been to PREVENT Corypheus from reaching the fade".

Trust me, this will enhance your experience. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

6 hours ago, Grey Cloud said:

I'm currently at the end game on this - just doing the Jaws of Hakkon DLC before the MQ finale. It's been a love-hate relationship thus far. I'm the opposite to you in that I like the size and I'm not so keen on the main plot. 

I really enjoy the game, I just spend so much time exploring the world and doing side stuff that I don't make any progress, and by the time I'm ready to keep going I'm burned out.

As for the characters, yeah they're naff but there's a degree of realism to them for me.  Actual people aren't amazing orators, philosophers or psychologists.  They're just folks getting by and their story is playing out around them, and I see a bit of that reflected in the way bioware writes their characters, just kind of normal people that life is happening to while they crack bad jokes and make mistakes.

4 hours ago, supernipsu said:

When you get to the final fight, I want you to remember this: "The entire point of all has been to PREVENT Corypheus from reaching the fade".

I don't usually bother with the final boss fight in a game. Given the piss poor combat system in DAI the odds are against me fighting this one. I've got all the DLC and whatnot and I'm using the first level of 'Trials' (Even Ground), I'm playing on Normal difficulty.

I fought a dragon, just a normal, non-boss dragon, it had 339306 HP. ? My team had around 1000 apiece. Do you realise how long and how fucking boring it is to have to hack through that much HP. ☹️

A bog-standard giant had 293322 HP and there were about 6 or so in the immediate area. ? At least the giants stand still once the fighting starts. Poxy dragons jump about like friggin' fleas as well as flying off.

1 hour ago, Just Checking said:

As for the characters, yeah they're naff but there's a degree of realism to them for me.

Some are better than others as is always the case. Never used Blackwall - his accent is from my region of the UK and his voice screams 'boring bastard - avoid at all costs'. You know, the guy at work who you don't really want to invite on a work's night out.

I use Varric because 1. he was in DA2 and is part of the bigger picture and 2. He's good at what he does. Well apart from that huge backwards leap Rogue skill. I've seen him do it and disappear over the parapet of a castle and earlier tonight he did it off the top of a mountain. ?

Real people don't make inane comments or small talk when they are in a life threatening situation. Only people in US TV and films do it. :classic_ph34r:

Fallout 76- I believed the hype and pre-purchased it before release. In return for my trust, I was rewarded with a day or two of early access, during which I discovered that the game:

• Does not protect new level 1 characters from pvp gankers once they venture forth on their first quest
  • Allows/incentivizes starting area spawn point/player corpse/loot bag camping by high level characters
  • Entire inventory is lost when killed with no chance of recovery since spawn points/corpses are camped and eventually looted by high-level gankers, OR corpse loot bags just "expire" after unclaimed by the dead-and-rekilled player for a certain period of time, OR once the frustrated (and dead) player rage-logs. It doesn't matter how/why the loot bags are gone when the player finally makes her way back to their location bc the result is the same: inventory is not recoverable after the unavoidable deaths

I struggled with this pointless crap for about 4 hours before wiping that $60 off my SSD. Last time I will ever pay for a game in advance of its release plus at least 6 months for the reviews and playtime videos to crop up. I'm still kicking myself for trusting Bethesda in the first place- after all, the Creation Club assault on SKSE64 users had been going on for several months when FO76 pre-release sales opened up, so I should've known Bethesda could not be trusted. The fact that they have may have fixed it since then does nothing to remove the lingering turd-stench of those entirely unpleasant 4 hours. Just nope.

Edited by Vyxenne
Hyperbole refinement
On 7/5/2021 at 4:14 PM, Grey Cloud said:

Skyrim  - never bothered attempting any of the vanilla stuff. I was led astray by modders and their mods.

I finished the Oblivion MQ on XBox before I discovered mods and switched to PC to use them with Skyrim.

Then, after playing all the way through the MQ plus all 3 DLCs and every side quest I could find, I was led astray by the content of this website.

Edited by Vyxenne
Because I enjoy being led astray
1 hour ago, Grey Cloud said:

Some are better than others as is always the case. Never used Blackwall - his accent is from my region of the UK and his voice screams 'boring bastard - avoid at all costs'. You know, the guy at work who you don't really want to invite on a work's night out.

I use Varric because 1. he was in DA2 and is part of the bigger picture and 2. He's good at what he does. Well apart from that huge backwards leap Rogue skill. I've seen him do it and disappear over the parapet of a castle and earlier tonight he did it off the top of a mountain. ?

Real people don't make inane comments or small talk when they are in a life threatening situation. Only people in US TV and films do it. :classic_ph34r:

Yeah I don't have that problem with fantasy settings, luckily.  The abundance of ambiguous British accents everyone uses in fantasies are far enough from my environment that I don't have an association with them.  Blackwall as a character isn't amazing, admittedly, I found his little story arc decent but I can understand if he's not everyone's cup of tea.  That said, I tend to run a team of mostly squishy characters and his ability to help keep enemies at bay thanks to his subclass is pretty nice.

Varric is a champ and always was, he's a smarmy ass with dumb quips and I'm here for it, and you can get a lot of mileage out of his abilities with a little clever use.  But that rogue backflip has gotten my guys killed more often than not when they flip directly into an even bigger danger.

And yeah the comments in combat are pretty dumb, I guess they're just there so it's not just grunts of exertion.  I honestly just like intercharacter banter and learning the backstories more than anything, but I think I overall enjoyed the cast of the earlier games than in Inquisition.  You know what I think it is?  Bioware started with a lot of D&D games, and their characters feel like D&D characters.  There's an air of homegrown to them, they're not written perfectly but those flaws make them feel more enjoyable to me.

3 minutes ago, Just Checking said:

Bioware started with a lot of D&D games, and their characters feel like D&D characters.

I hated Minsc and Boo. Just don't get me started on that firkin Deekin. ?

The problem these type of games face is that they want to write decent characters with decent backstories etc but their target audience is young males with the little intelligence and less attention span. The audience just wants crits, DPS, CC, OP, tank and off-tank, mage.  They're not really interested in rouges as they generally spell it.

Back in the days of BG and IWD all the young bucks wanted to be a tank (the term was used differently then) - big, tough and macho with a big fuck off sword and fuck off armour. Mages were too complicated to play effectively unless you either had a lot of experience playing P&P or were prepared to do a lot of reading and thinking. Now mages have been dumbed down to hell and are generally OP from level 1 the young bucks have to be a mage.

Too many games to count. My biggest problem is that I just get too many games, mostly because of steam sales, and I never have time to complete them. It's just hard to find the time, and even when I do have the time, it's really hard to find motivation. Work saps most of my emotional energy and it's hard to find the drive to complete anything.

That said, I'm genuinely sad that I've never gotten around to playing Cities: Skylines. City builders used to be my jam back in the day and I'm not sure why I just haven't had the wherewithal to boot it up yet.

My list for this has gotten too long. Mostly because I feel like I won't play it ever again.
Speaking of, I haven't actually finished Skyrim storyline in a single save. Might also be because the more I play, the more lazy the story seems to be so I feel like I shouldn't dedicate myself for something when the devs weren't even that dedicated to make. Now that I think of it, this feeling might come from the fact that I find most modern games to be too easy & very boring...

Beyond Good & Evil

The original premise of the game sounds fun, but I never could get into the characters and story itself and for something that heavily relies on both aspects in the beginning it's not a good sign.

Dark Souls

Despite actually loving the art style and liking the overall fight systems, it's probably just too hard for me. I also think that the game is just too many bad gameplay decisions and ways to piss off players is shoved in there.

SW: Knights of the Old Republic

Still have that one sitting on my HD. Just tried if everything was working, but haven't been in the right jam to actually start playing it.

Destiny 2

I'm not sure this even has a definite ending as an evolving MMO Shooter, but I guess you could at least define raids as endgame content. However, due to Bungie's pitiful matchmaking and LFG systems I will never actually play those myself. There are also other reasons why I have stopped playing and paying altogether.

Metroid Prime 3

The motion controls are just weird for playing FPS games. It's working, yes, but I never felt comfortable playing it. However, with my recent dabbling in Prime Hack there now is a potent solution for this issue and I hopefully one day find the time and the feels to finally play through the game.

Poly Bridge 2

Fun little physics based bridge builder. There is one long bridge hanging low over the water that keeps on crashing for me and after a while I haven't had the will to continue. Probably should dabble with it again at some point.

Baldur's Gate 2

The gameplay mechanics don't click for me, despite the setting and everything being basically everything I want from such a game. Weird.

Edited by Swanky