Name games you never finished and the reasons why.

On 9/23/2021 at 4:50 PM, Reginald_001 said:

I scrap my entry. Finished HL:Alyx 3 times since I wrote about it last time.

I found the courage to FACE Jeff and my fears along with it.

Can't recommend this game enough.

He isn't that bad once you figure out how he and the area work.

And also

that you can use a gasmask to prevent you from coughing while leaving both hands free.

Edited by ToJKa

Final Fantasy 8, 10, and 13

FF8: Got to a point where I had to leave Squall dead in order to level up everyone else around disk 3.  Got bored of grinding very quickly.

FF10: Played all the way up to where you need to go fight SIN... got bored of the insane linear game play and how easy it was to turn Yuna into a summoner/Black Mage, Titus into a DPS/Tank.... etc... the leveling system in this game was just weird and easily broken.

FF13: Game Promised Open World Combat, Open World... get in play the first three hours... same damn linear game play as all the others before it, along side that out dated combat system which is really only acceptable (IMO) in Pokemon and DIgimon games (Fallout 3, NV, and Skyrim had launched by that time with open world and open world combat... FF13 pissed me off for wasting money on it).

i would have to list like 75% of the games i ever install. two main reasons. first being it could be just bad, which is the case with pretty much all of them since 2015 with few exceptions.

assuming the game is actually good, the main driving force behind me not finishing a game is actually just me not wanting it to end. for example breath of the wild. i've had it for forever, put many hundreds of hours into it, but yet, i've never actually finished it. every single time i get up to right before the final fight with ganon and then i just go fuck off and look for places on the map i havent explored yet via hero's path.

if it isn't an open world game i'll end up trying to save the final last bit for a day that i feel like i can do it undisturbed, but then in reality just never do it. you know what pissed me off... i wont buy a game unless i can try it. so i grabbed a liberated copy of titanfall 2 and played it a while and i was like wow this campaign is god damn amazing. so i put it on my wishlist to see when it went on sale, and then just didn't play it anymore until it eventually it did. so then i install it and rush to the point where i was, and it turns out that game was so fucking short i was only like 7 minutes from the ending of the campaign anyway lmao.

• 1 month later...

Shadow Of War. i really love the game mechanic of defeating and turning captains and working your way up to taking over the territory, i loved the first game but the problem and reason i quit was the quantity. the first game had 2 zones so you had to defeat all the captains and warlords in both regions to fully take over but now in the next game there are 5 region and instead of 20 or so captains and 2 warlords over them in each zone now theres far far more captains and ranks above the warlords, it's just more and more and more. one zone is fun, 2 zones are fun but beyond that and it goes from fun to tedious, way to much grind 

• 2 weeks later...

Dragon Age: Origins.

The initial release was buggy as fuck, with party AI screwed up beyond belief, inconsistent terrain (you can shoot over balconies when it benefits the bad guys, not otherwise for instance), cameras that regularly rotated into solid rock so you couldn't see what was happening, and cutscenes that always pulled my fragile mage form the back of the pack to the front line where he could conveniently be scragged by the bad guy. All this while the game preached at me the importance of thinking tactically - as if it ever let me!

By the time it got to the last fight I'd lost patience. Rather than chase the Demon-Lord-Who-Is-Also-A-Dragon-For-Marketing-Reasons round three different towers, fighting the game's bugs all the time, I thought "fuck it" and watched the wrap up on youtube, I'd only been hanging for the end of the Morrigan sub-plot, and it turns out I didn't miss anything worth mentioning.

Last Bioware game I played, that one.

Witcher 2:

Sort of lost interest while running round and round in that swamp, fighting bugs and waiting for the next level to unlock. Must have bee missing something somewhere, but I'd have sworn I'd checked everything three times over. Oh well...

Dishonored 2:

Was having a decent time with this one, but then my nephew started playing on my profile rather than his own and rolled the character through a puzzle I'd been looking forward to cracking and halfway through the next level to boot. Had some difficulty finding the enthusiasm to continue after that. Will probably give it another shot some day since it's not a bad game on the face of it.

• 7 months later...

Baldur´s Gate (started 5 times, but too long, too hard, too boring for me)

NWN2 (comparing to NWN UI and bugs get on my nerves, started 3 times)

HL:Alyx (not able to be in VR for more then 1h, and VR started to bore me)

FF games (I almost finnished V, but get stuck on some boss, wasn´t able to figure out how to beat him, after FFVII I finaly get that FF games are not for me, and stopped to buy them)

PoE (started 3 times, same uninteresting game for me as BG)

Solasta (started twice, but this game no matter how visually appealing is, have too linear story and too complicated and boring gameplay, 1 hour for one fight on lvl5 is too much for me)

BI4:Incubation (started 5 times and no matter how I enjoyed this game, was never be able to get proper party for hard levels at the end of the game)

Morrowind (started 6 times, last try after I finnished Oblivion second time, after Skyrim i gave up)

Dragon Age (not fan of these red/blue decision games with stupid plot for 10yo children with mexican telenovel side stories)

Commandos, RobinHood, Desperados, style games (always troubles to keep play second half, where missions were long and repetitive)

Quite interesting topic would be also opposite of this one: Which games you played and finished several times? :)

Aahhh the unfinished games..

Ive been gaming for more than 30 years so that number is probably in triple digits by now if you count everything i ever played and never finished. 

But to name the few more prominent examples :

FAllout 2 and BG1/2 - i love these games i played them on release but i never managed to finish them because after sinking like 30 hours each and finishing huge portion of the game i lost saves in similar fashion - deleted by mistake, my hdd died and saves went kaput stuff like that. And even back then i had a huge backlog so i got discouraged and played something else.

Fallout NV - love this game to death but i cant force myself to finish it because i know its the last good Fallout we will ever get.

WItcher 3 - similar to F2 - i sunk shitload of hours, took a little break from it and then Blood and Wine with a patch dropped and made my saves unuseable. Still have it on the disk and i will finish it someday.

FF13 - dropped it when i realized how boring nonsensical and linear it was. Up to date its the only FF title i played that i havent finished.

Driver 1/2/3 - never managed to get trought these games due to combination of bugs, technical shortcomings and lets face it, pretty high difficulty level. 

Alien Isolation - too spooky for my old heart, double so when i heard there are facehuggers in the game.

Skyrim - typical vicious loop of "get itch to play it, install, realize that game is unplayable vanilla, mod it till it breaks/corrupts saves 50hours in, rage delete it and swear i will never touch that shitty game again" that i repeat every few months. Altought to give credit were its due i did get plenty of hours out of the game by rping as travelling prostitute, succubus assasin, thief, fisherman/hunter living off the land in a distant north part of the map due to these mods.

Assassin's Creed I: because it's just to old

Assassin's Creed IV: lost interest might finish at some point.

Slime Rancher: I found that I didn't really like it but too late to refund

God of War 2 & 3: because I am lazy

Jedi Fallen Order: Origin was being stupid

New Vegas: got too complicated when I tried to figure out all of the different endings and stuff (did do all of the DLC except Honest Hearts for some reason)

and many more to count but these are the big ones

Edited by DidiDovah

Far Cry 2: Miserable, claustrophobic, malaria simulator with nothing in common with the first game apart from jungle and guns. Wasn't enjoying it, so stopped.

Far Cry 3: Bit or a return to form after 2. Had the wide open vistas and the bright colors and the sense of fun. Lost a lot of interest after Vaas died. White-Suit-Guy wasn't nearly so interesting as a villain, the challenges were starting to get samey, while the difficulty of the plot-based missions was increasing faster than my enthusiasm for finishing. No complaints really - I had fun with this overall.

Prey (2017): This one I'm technically still playing, but I don't think I'm going to finish it. I'm at that point you always hit in these games where I'm out of ammo and resources with the nearest resupply being guarded by at least two phantoms. It's all starting to look a bit too much like hard work. If I was younger, or had more time on my hands, I'd probably restart and use what I've learned to make a better build, but that doesn't appeal when I have two hours a day play time, max. It's a good game, but I don't think I'm going to progress any further. Maybe I'll come back to it later on.

I think Final Fantasy 13. I think it was that one. It was so boring I was just pressing the same button, X on control pad. I was watching TV while playing it. Then I got to a ridiculously hard boss, completely out of proportion with the game. I know that means the developers messed up the balance so they put that in to snag you. So I just quit. Not even rage quit; just quit.

Then Morrowind. It was just a bit too long. I liked it though. If there was a remake I'd do it.

Also, actually FF7 & 9 I didn't complete. Only 10 and 12 I actually have done.

On 7/17/2022 at 9:37 PM, willhelmcz said:

Which games you played and finished several times?

Dying Light hands down. I fucking love that game.

I gave up on Outer Worlds because it run like shit on my old ass pc and that graphic is really hard on the eyes. Im sure i will finish it someday when i get a better pc.

my list of games is big, but the ones I didn't complete are few because usually when I buy a game I finish the whole game, but here are three games that I haven't finished:

resident evil 6 -- > I literally played every game before 6 and I liked them all (my favorite is outbreak file #2, although I like 1 a lot too), but 6, for me, the only campaign that worth it is Leon's, Chris and Jake's campaign, if it didn't have the name resident evil, it could easily be confused with some generic war game.

the witcher 3 --> I played 1 and 2, I thought they were both really cool, but when I went to play the 3 I didn't feel the same emotion I felt in the previous ones and to make matters worse, I bought it together with skyrim, so I completely lost interest in the witcher 3. (I was already losing because in addition to these factors above, I had started a new game in oblivion with mods)

star wars battlefront 1 ( 2004 ) ---> lots of bugs and the gameplay is horrible, I bought it together with battlefront 2 ( 2005 ) which is the definitive star wars game.

Nier : Automata

I think I clocked in about 15 + hours or so, but I grew tired of the dialogue and didn't find the characters all that interesting. Sure, 2B has a great rear-end and the game has an awesome soundtrack, it just didn't click for me the way it seemed to for other people. Not a bad game by any means though.

Sekiro : Shadows Die Twice

Came close to completing it on the PS4 way back when, but despite cleaning out system and replacing the thermal paste, the thing would overheat on the reg so I just gave up. Friend of mine gifted me a copy on Steam a while back but haven't had the motivation to return to it. Don't know why, amazing game.

Disco Elysium

This is a weird one. I love absolutely everything about it, but for some ridiculous reason, it never calls out to me despite being forever installed on my SSD. I genuinely love every minute I've put into it, but I need to just sit down one day properly crack on with it, tunnel-vision, no distractions. Criminal that I haven't finished it yet.

I never finished Skyrim because I had no interest in the main quest, I was interested only in heavily modded alternate start.

Neverwinter Nights because I discovered the editor with dungeon master mode.

Dragon Age Origins because I just lost interest, couldn't be arsed and for some reason it was pretty much MELTING my old laptop despite running smoothly. I played it mainly because ha-ha I can be an asshole in this game.

I finished Morrowind multiple times but I never did the MQ "properly". I remember playing till I cleared pretty much everything, then I got all the necessary artifacts somehow and went straight to the center of Red Mountain.

GTA I to IV because I do missions only to unlock stuff and then get bored and uninstall or download a 100% completed save.

Mafia I because I had a stone age PC when I played it. No, not a "garbage PC" because it runs only at 59 FPS, loading world objects while driving could take minutes. MINUTES. It was pure torture.

Command&Conquer Generals and plenty of other RTS games because I only play skirmish mode and mess around with mission/map editors. I will try to do some campaigns but I get bored of them very quickly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2022 at 1:02 PM, NickNozownik said:

Mafia I because I had a stone age PC when I played it. No, not a "garbage PC" because it runs only at 59 FPS, loading world objects while driving could take minutes. MINUTES. It was pure torture

Ahh that brings me back to when i played Icewind Dale 2 on a Pc that was slightly below minimal requirements. Entire game was basically running on 1/3rd speed lol.

Still managed to finish it tho.