For the five users that still think the Nexus is your buddy.

36 minutes ago, MonVert said:

What part of FNIS was made in the CK?

What has that got to do with it? You made a blanket statement that "you can't charge money for mods". You then brought in Bethesda as if Bethesda games are the only ones which get modded.

People can and do get paid for making mods, some will be breaking a law and some wont.

31 minutes ago, MonVert said:

Are you telling me that you are going to willfully break the law?

The Point i tried to make here was, that i have serious doubts whether the example i mentioned even would violate any Law (or EULA or whatever) to begin with.

This is of course based on Intuition, rather than actual knowledge of US laws or Beths Terms and conditions,

So I wont make any big claims here and just stop it.

looking at @Nebuchadnezzer2 post above, its not to unbelievable that Beth has something along these lines in their own ToS.

But ultimately, the Entire Discussion is only of Academical interest anyway.

We know that people cash in on Mods (even on this very site), and they do it quite openly, Bethesda knows it.

And until they adopt a new (and very fierce) stance on that, the Situation wont change.

Don't start on politics. Please.

I am letting some comments to slide. But when too many will be posted the thread will be gone.

Do you really need to know that soviet bolscevic leninist liberal people will destroy the great Unites States?

We all know silurians are in charge already. And Gates won and had most of us with a microchip in our left shoulder that can be controlled by the newest 5G towers that are the penis of the devil.

8 minutes ago, CPU said:

5G towers that are the penis of the devil.

The Devils Dick sends out W-Lan?
You heard it here first folks and for the price of your soul can you too get highspeed internet! Just touch the tip! ?

Just now, 0modskilzs said:

Where else can I get mods if I don't wanna support Nexus?

For sure they are the biggest ones. And they store way more mods than many other communities together.

Now, the problem is not really for final users. Because you will be always able to go there, grab the mods you want, and ignore all the rest.

The "problem" is more for who creates the mods. Were Nexus can do pretty much whatever they want with the mods you upload there.

For a few modders this is a big problem, for others they do not care.

Then there is the secondary discussion about what they will do with the mods. And that is not 100% clear.

Maybe create pack of mods, maybe change the mods on their own.

That is mostly speculation right now.

58 minutes ago, CPU said:

Do you really need to know that soviet bolscevic leninist liberal people will destroy the great Unites States?

We all know silurians are in charge already. And Gates won and had most of us with a microchip in our left shoulder that can be controlled by the newest 5G towers that are the penis of the devil.

But none of that is as bad as modpacks. ?

8 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

But none of that is as bad as modpacks. ?

Sorry, I know only jetpacks.

And usually they kill the person wearing them.

Maybe modpacks will kill modding? ?

23 minutes ago, CPU said:

For sure they are the biggest ones. And they store way more mods than many other communities together.

Now, the problem is not really for final users. Because you will be always able to go there, grab the mods you want, and ignore all the rest.

The "problem" is more for who creates the mods. Were Nexus can do pretty much whatever they want with the mods you upload there.

For a few modders this is a big problem, for others they do not care.

Then there is the secondary discussion about what they will do with the mods. And that is not 100% clear.

Maybe create pack of mods, maybe change the mods on their own.

That is mostly speculation right now.

Oooh

43 minutes ago, Captain Cobra said:

That's a good thing though.  The sooner he ragequits the sooner we can get big bugfix mods that are pure bugfixes.

Here have an extra tree in the middle of Solitude, you deserve it!

2 hours ago, Pamatronic said:

The Point i tried to make here was, that i have serious doubts whether the example i mentioned even would violate any Law (or EULA or whatever) to begin with.

This is of course based on Intuition, rather than actual knowledge of US laws or Beths Terms and conditions,

So I wont make any big claims here and just stop it.

looking at @Nebuchadnezzer2 post above, its not to unbelievable that Beth has something along these lines in their own ToS.

But ultimately, the Entire Discussion is only of Academical interest anyway.

We know that people cash in on Mods (even on this very site), and they do it quite openly, Bethesda knows it.

And until they adopt a new (and very fierce) stance on that, the Situation wont change.

Not to mention stuff being created by external tools as well, the only time they are going to go after something is if it is a big IP and it is causing their company financial harm, otherwise it would be a cease and desist, then a net filed DMCA. You can sell mods, do I like that? Not really, but it's not going anywhere.

5 hours ago, MonVert said:

Per usual, you have even less fucking idea what you are talking about.

Bethesda made the game, and owns all rights, so there's nothing wrong with them paying other people to make content for their own game. There's a difference between a first-party doing it and benefiting from it, as opposed to a third-party, that doesn't have the rights, benefiting from it.

"All uses of the Editor and any materials created using the Editor (the “New Materials”) are for Your own personal, non-commercial use solely in connection with the applicable Product, subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement. "

"The Editor is and shall remain the copyrighted property of Bethesda Softworks and/or its designee(s) and You shall take no action inconsistent with such title or ownership. Except as set forth in Section 5 below, You may not cause or permit the sale or other commercial distribution or commercial exploitation (e.g., by renting, licensing, sublicensing, leasing, disseminating, uploading, downloading, transmitting, whether on a pay-per-play basis or otherwise) of any New Materials without the express prior written consent of an authorized representative of Bethesda Softworks. This includes distributing New Materials as part of any compilation You and/or other Product users may create."

Charging for mods is illegal, for the second time.

No it isn't and the issue has already gone to court more than once. You're flat ass wrong and don't know what you're talking about.

There is no EULA or ToS that exists on planet earth that is legally binding in any way shape or form, and such for all future endeavors have deemed in advance to be legally and civilly non-binding in North America, Japan and the EU. This is the law and is retroactively enforceable in any case set forth in those territories.

The end. You haven't the faintest. Having been peripherally involved in such a case, it's pretty much the end of your theory craft.

Edited by 27X
On 7/1/2021 at 2:52 PM, KoolHndLuke said:

Most of them won't leave I'm betting. As much as they like to bitch about Nexus fucking them over, they know they won't get the same exposure anywhere else. And come to LL? They'd sooner stop modding. The ones that would are already here and have been for years.

I don't know. I've personally been in multiple discord servers full of mod authors not only committed to leaving but trying to work out the specifics of where they are going. And between just the authors there, they represent very key mods that would break most peoples game builds if they are removed.

I'm probably going to start posting new versions of AAF elsewhere and maybe leave the latest (soon-to-be-old) version there.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:39 AM, Hoshii_Miki said:

If authors actually read the nexus ToS though they’d know that they agreed to allow nexus to do what they’re doing with their mods.

I don't think that is clear actually. It was reasonable for readers of the ToS to assume that the intent was to give Nexus the freedom to legally host the authors work. Not to re-use the work in unpredictable, previously unknown ways.

Courts tend to put a very high bar on transfers of IP rights. In fact, its quite plausible that a court would rule that the license is invalid simply because it didn't involve a hand-written signature (ie. not explicit enough of approval).

19 hours ago, Zaflis said:

You will find that at least in Reddit you are in the minority, and i must say i agree with Reddit. This is a good change from Nexus for both mod creators and players.

I think that mod-lists and collections are a great idea too. But, that is beside the point. Just because something has a good result for some people doesnt justify ignoring what authors may want to do with their work.

There is zero reason why a collections/list system can't work and be successful WITH individual mod author approval for each mod in the list. It would be more difficult to manage, yes. But, if the incentives are so apparently awesome and the down-side is so small, then getting approval shouldn't truly be a burden.

The "pro" argument, so far is easily trashed with that glaring contradiction.

19 hours ago, Contessa said:

You post a mod on a free site, free hosting, free visibility yet you expect to retain 100% control over all things.

Nobody is trying to have control over "all" things. Mod authors just want to have control over how their work is used.

It is beyond me how anyone does not see that as a humble request in return for sharing their work (in contexts they approve of) for free.

And lets not pretend that anyone is hosting this free work as a charity. Nexus doesn't host mods because they are generous. It's a very profitable business.

15 hours ago, spoonsinger said:

It maybe part laziness or just lack of knowledge. But you have to ask why do people want to mod their games? Is it a fear of missing out on a perceived shared experience?  Or maybe the gaming industry as a whole isn't actually providing with what they want. Or is it just to be able to fix the buggy mess which they spent their hard earned money on at the expense of the time and patience of someone else?

It's all of those reasons and more. I think many modders have many different goals. Generally, though, it's just fun to piggy-back off of the massive efforts of popular games to add something new.

14 hours ago, ballsy said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but at this point I'm more willing to side with Valve and Bethesda paid mods than the users you'd see on r/skyrimmods, and I have a sickening feeling that they weren't against the idea those years ago due to it being a fracturing move for the actual fabric of the community; I think a lot of these people just simply didn't want to pay.

On one hand, I tend to agree in theory. A reasonable pay-for-mods scheme would have made something like this less controversial. I've advocated for it before. But, on the other hand, if such a scheme was designed by the stingy Valve or Nexus I'm sure it would have been completely one-sided and unreasonable.

Right away and short term, modders will retreat into their discord dungeons where they have these brony things gatekeeping all the comments and discord kinda sorta doing whatever they want on your computer. Also discord crashes browsers a lot and no, NO! I don't want to make a dam account and associate it AND discord with my email address. 

I don't know what comes after discord but I'm sure it will be worse. On the bright side there will be far less private mod dick pics on nexus for a while. 

11 minutes ago, Zor2k13 said:

Right away and short term, modders will retreat into their discord dungeons where they have these brony things gatekeeping all the comments and discord kinda sorta doing whatever they want on your computer. Also discord crashes browsers a lot and no, NO! I don't want to make a dam account and associate it AND discord with my email address. 

I don't know what comes after discord but I'm sure it will be worse. On the bright side there will be far less private mod dick pics on nexus for a while. 

I use temporary e-mails for just about everything now, only issue is re-retrieval and forced verification, I can't use the Discord app because it gives me no option but to use phone verification, but on browser I make an account every time I want to look through a server. Plexus? Temp mail, as this forum is better overall.

20 minutes ago, dagobaking said:

I don't know. I've personally been in multiple discord servers full of mod authors not only committed to leaving but trying to work out the specifics of where they are going. And between just the authors there, they represent very key mods that would break most peoples game builds if they are removed.

This is a good question, I think there are a few mod authors that avoid this site due to the adult nature of everything that is on here, but I haven't seen many other sites that give quite as much control/ease of discussion as this one. If only it were more than just the place people go to for Sexlab.

11 minutes ago, Nameless God said:

This is a good question, I think there are a few mod authors that avoid this site due to the adult nature of everything that is on here, but I haven't seen many other sites that give quite as much control/ease of discussion as this one. If only it were more than just the place people go to for Sexlab.

I think there will soon be additional alternatives (there are already a few others). Or, some may choose just to host their own mod(s) individually which is the direction I'm leaning at least temporarily until/unless something else materializes.

The reason I wouldn't want to host solely here is that I feel AAF has non-adult uses. So, it should be somewhere that has a way to show mods in at least a PG manner.

I have not decided yet, but the more i think about it, the more i feel like removing my mods from Nexus.

Not because i would be angry, or feeling hurt, or thinking that my rights are being tossed in the dumpster, but because i think the ability to delete your mods can be an important tool.
I never planned, nor even thought about deleting my mods, but i think it is HEALTHY to have that option, because it can serve as a bargaining chip.
If the Nexus would be about to do something you don't agree with, you could say "i don't like this, please don't do it, or i will have to go away and take my files with me".
Not that Nexus would give a shit about ME doing that, but with enough ppl it could serve as a leverage - a leverage to help keep Nexus in check (which is good for everyone, including Nexus).
I think this is the main reason, why everyone should seriously consider removing their mods from Nexus, and hopefully Nexus staff will grow a brain and stop this dumb idea.
(and it is a dumb idea, because there is no freaking reason for it in the first place - if a mod gets removed, so what? the maintainer of the collection that depended on it would go and fix the problem by altering the collection accordingly, why would that be a problem?).