Sim Spam in Downloads

5 hours ago, Ashal said:

I could look into editing the forum software to a degree to sort of hack in a solution that stops text edits from being counted as an update, but directly editing the software is a real hassle and creates problems further down the line whenever the software needs to be updated.

Sound like a good starting point, like that idea ?

4 hours ago, Abandoner said:

And that's also why I feel pretty damn unlucky that I've picked the worst time to start sharing, as now it seems the house is crumbling down. I share sims to please others and I ask for nothing in return. I have no access to any paid-for content either. I'd really appreciate it if people like me didn't get punished so soon because of this,

Or you can consider it the best time as the house is not crumbling, its simply having a good clean up ? , Don't stop as your sims are great and you have exactly the right ethos to make it worth visiting the Sims section ? along with the fantastic @wallawalla and @mrrakkonn who clearly care about their creations.

1 hour ago, Oops19 said:

If it is possible to require that the change log is used when updating it'd be easy to see why one updated the content (up! - up! - up!).

It may help if one moderator would look into the download section every 12h, a snapshot of the first page should be sufficient, without looking at the content.
After a few days it should be obvious who want's to be contacted in one way or the other.

Afterwards it may help if one moderator would open the first 3-5 links and try to download the advertised sim. She/he may find out that a Patreon account is required.

The rule "... members requiring payment for mods, support, or putting anything behind a paywall will be removed without warning. ..." may be followed by the members. Due to Corona some may need Patreon as an income and upload there exclusive content. For sure there's no risk to add the Patreon link in the footer. Adding free full-sized ads to the topics may be questionable.

Agree with all this ?

On 5/24/2021 at 7:43 PM, Neodarkside said:

The "Most Recent updates" on the front page is still getting spammed and its the same 6 files being updated every hour to get bumped back to the front page.

Sounds like 6 people need a ban.

My personal opinion on this kind of thing has always been that if you haven't created a single piece of CC your sim is wearing, you shouldn't be profiting off it. I definitely think it's one thing if someone posts a patreon/ko-fi as a tip jar or offers early access to animations/mods/cc they created themselves, but it's another entirely when the thing you're putting behind early access was 99% created by other people outside the time you spent in CAS. 
There are plenty of CC creators who share their model sims - sometimes behind early access - but the difference in my eyes is that those sims were made by someone to model the content that they spent time making, not just slapped together with .package files they got from other sites. 

If someone were to mass download sims created by other people, make minor changes, and then charge money to access them, that wouldn't be acceptable. The original creator of the sim wouldn't be happy for sure. So why is it suddenly okay if it's the same scenario but with custom content? Like a previous poster said I've been in the sims community since the sims 2 days and I've seen my fair share of creators disappear along with all their released content because of things like this. In fact, most popular TS4 CC creators have written directly in their terms of use that their creations are not allowed to be profited off of and/or packaged in a sim download without linking back to the original. 

As someone interested in sharing my own sims, I know how much of a hassle it can be to track down every piece of CC you're using. But most people doing this are using the tray importer tool to package their sims...and it conveniently has a section that shows you the file names of all custom content used on the packaged sim. I don't really think it's asking too much to google the filename and check the creator's TOU, and it's especially not asking too much to credit the used CC outright in your post or a text file in the download.

1 hour ago, lovinglylewd said:

As someone interested in sharing my own sims, I know how much of a hassle it can be to track down every piece of CC you're using. But most people doing this are using the tray importer tool to package their sims...and it conveniently has a section that shows you the file names of all custom content used on the packaged sim. I don't really think it's asking too much to google the filename and check the creator's TOU, and it's especially not asking too much to credit the used CC outright in your post or a text file in the download.

Most people who use tray importer to share their creations don't even check to make sure they don't include script mods or even merged CC packages. I'm reasonably sure I'm the only sim creator on this site who used to consistently put in CC credits lists for my sims with links to the individual CC items where I could find them (Tray importer actually has a built in function to google a .package file's name).

I've since stopped doing that, and am now instead doing a list on my download collection of CC creators' I've used (though I've been bad about updating it). I still have a pretty good handle on what CC and specific creators I've used for a sim because if I may so so, the archives I put up are reasonably well organized. 

Love that you guys are calling these posters out btw. This spam has been bothering me for a while, although it has only gotten to silly levels recently. Hopefully this will affect some further policy changes from the site. Also, with sims moved from general mods the "Recently updated" feature is actually useful for actual mods...

I wrote it on my own topic, I would like to write here with your permission.~~

Hello. I've just seen the talk and warnings about this topic. Sorry about spam, the "reason" I started doing this is because every time I make a new upload,"someone" updates their different topics over and over. and Sometimes I made little updates because I had too many Sims. I'm sorry about this. You can be sure that it will not be repeated. You are right in what you say. But I am not the one who started this. I just persisted. Sorry for the late reply. Sorry again & again. 

5 hours ago, mrrakkonn said:

Tray importer actually has a built in function to google a .package file's name

It does?! Cause I have been having a hell of a time putting together my CC credit list and that would make it a lot easier. Where can I find this function?

20 minutes ago, wallawalla said:

It does?! Cause I have been having a hell of a time putting together my CC credit list and that would make it a lot easier. Where can I find this function?

When viewing the list of CC, right click on an item and you get a couple of options, one of them is "Find on Google", the others are useful as well.

2 hours ago, Spam Police said:

Look at this. ? Mods list, latest updated snapshot.
SugarBUMPI_sims and FAKINGcrush really taking this to the next level. This is straight up obscenity! They literally have no shame whatsoever.
No need to say, NONE of these files were actually updated.

Hide contents

obscene.thumb.jpg.4b1ffd09e0ddf516ebd30e2741999382.jpg

If no mods take actions they will continue and it will be worse. Also, why they are not merging their content on only one page? It's literally the same kind of content. I don't understand.

Can we hide those content creators? A function like a blacklist so they are not showing up would be ideal. 

18 hours ago, Abandoner said:

Just out of curiosity, have the key spammers ever been reached out to on this matter before? I'm assuming they ignore everything. 

Yes, I have invited most of them to visit this topic, most simply ignore :(

I don't understand @Mervejuana , you update your post every few hours but its taken days/weeks to reply to any posts on your support topic about this ????....

17 hours ago, Mervejuana said:

Sorry about spam, the "reason" I started doing this is because every time I make a new upload,"someone" updates their different topics over and over.

So that I understand, why did you then need to keep doing the same, what was the point ?, did you want to be top of the list or ???? Could you not see how frustrating this is for the community who keep downloading your "update" to find it's exactly the same?

9 hours ago, Khlas said:

If no mods take actions they will continue and it will be worse. Also, why they are not merging their content on only one page? It's literally the same kind of content. I don't understand.

Can we hide those content creators? A function like a blacklist so they are not showing up would be ideal. 

Agree! Sadly it seems the "ignore user" function only works on posts and not download topics ???

I would like to invite @SecretCrush @SugarBaby_Sims @Idiche Volfe @muse.polymnia @Simmers_Creations @JoyToySims @axemencito @sexybeast12162 along to this topic and give us your views on this ?

Loving it @Spam Police ?

12 hours ago, lovinglylewd said:

My personal opinion on this kind of thing has always been that if you haven't created a single piece of CC your sim is wearing, you shouldn't be profiting off it.

When I started sharing my sims my intent was just to share their likeness, appearance, etc, because people enjoyed them. From the start I never wanted to earn from sharing them and this is exactly why. The CC's I used for those sims are not mine and it just doesn't feel right for me if I profited out of them.

If ever I open up a Patreon or something, it will be when I'm finally making my own CC's or animations.

10 hours ago, mrrakkonn said:

consistently put in CC credits lists for my sims with links to the individual CC items where I could find them

I actually wanted to do this but with my busy schedule I can't find the time to list all of them, so at the moment I just settled with a Disclaimer at the very top of the download page.

Spreading already in the mod section. Youhou.

Whatever the solution, I think these individuals should be given a warning or a ban if this continues.

Edit : I wonder how many potential creators have been driven away by this kind of behaviour. That's the thought that drives me the most crazy.

3 hours ago, RDA said:

Edit : I wonder how many potential creators have been driven away by this kind of behaviour. That's the thought that drives me the most crazy.

I have been driven away to other pages and even spreadsheets with better Sims and CC so I should be even grateful to these ????, shouldn't I?

6 hours ago, ChinaTam said:

I don't understand @Mervejuana , you update your post every few hours but its taken days/weeks to reply to any posts on your support topic about this ????....

So that I understand, why did you then need to keep doing the same, what was the point ?, did you want to be top of the list or ???? Could you not see how frustrating this is for the community who keep downloading your "update" to find it's exactly the same?

Agree! Sadly it seems the "ignore user" function only works on posts and not download topics ???

I would like to invite @SecretCrush @SugarBaby_Sims @Idiche Volfe @muse.polymnia @Simmers_Creations @JoyToySims @axemencitoalong to this topic and give us your views on this ?

Loving it @Spam Police ?

Yes, I know it is ridiculous, but my connection on the forum is a bit slow, I don't go around the forum much except uploading sims and messages. I have noticed this title and what has been written yet, I have not ignored it. I am glad that the spam update issue was resolved because I was tired of it. I apologize again and again for the inconvenience. English is not my native language, sorry for my mistakes.

7 hours ago, ChinaTam said:

I would like to invite @SecretCrush @SugarBaby_Sims @Idiche Volfe @muse.polymnia @Simmers_Creations @JoyToySims @axemencitoalong to this topic and give us your views on this ?

Loving it @Spam Police ?

Hello ?

So I'm aware of the spam and that it happens, which is very annoying and I have previously called out people for this indrectly.

I used to engage on the spam a few months ago when it started, so I'm not going to exempt myself from blame there, but I just don't do it anymore because I have other things to do other than stay on Lover's Lab racing other creators. My last file update was 16 hours ago and it's because I did added new files (as you can confirm here) and in other dates I update it once a day because patreon for the moment as I lost my job in 2020, is my only form of income so technically my work. Most of us engage on the spam on the first place because other users do so and it makes hards for us, who have patreons and rely on the income that comes from the website, to advertise our stuff. I think LL should talk to the creators and ask why do they do stuff instead of calling out people who engage in a behavior because others keep constantly spamming their creations all the time and it shoves everyone else down on the list. So if the people who spam every 30 minutes stop spamming, other creators who rely on creating sims as their income will stop as well, really simple.

Also, regarding the credits, the CC files used literally have the name of its creators as part of it.

It's hypocritical to complain that we "don't credit CC creators" for their work and then complain that we as sims creators advertise our patreon pages which a lot of us depend on for a living, no one is forcing you to sign the patreon stop complaining about something that is probably not even a mildly inconvinience for you, I am not going to stop advertising my source of income because you're bothered I have to work for a living during a pandemic. You guys don't really care about artists' creations and livelyhood you just need a reason to be upset at sim creators, for a valid reason, yes, the spam is indeed annoying, but the advertisement of our source of income is not and I refuse to stop that.

I actually waste literal hours on my creations, I have a right to profit from my labour. And even then, most of the CC creators we use make way much more money tha us as Sim creators on patreon.

I have to look at photo references, I have to sculpt the sim until a satisfying result (which in itself takes hours), I have to spend hours posing and taking pictures (sometimes build entire rooms for the pictures), I'm not profiting from other people's CC I'm profiting from my work, this is disrespectful at best.

I don't understand the need to villanize and portray us, sim creators, as bad people who steal other people's work and should be banned for advertising the only source of income most of us have.

Ps.: We don't ignore the posts, literally just tag us to talk about it, I sure never received any pings.

@Idiche Volfe Well, I hope it work for you cause your link to your Patreon is not the good one in one of your creation.

To answer, we're not questioning the work itself, we're questioning your behaviour and the legitimacy of your work which uses without credit the work of others, who have also spent hundreds of hours on their creations. So yea, it has the creator's name on it, and yea, it is hard to track what CC you use and yea, sometimes a creation disapear from the internet. That gives you the right not to credit ? I don't have an opinion on whether to credit or not, but you can understand that many people have a problem with it.

I'm sorry to be cynical, especially since I feel sorry for your situation, but that doesn't justify the spam and toxicity that some of the sims creators have shown. If you all post only when you update your creation and doesnt race to be "at the top", you would never need spam. But if you have adopted this behaviour, you are part of the problem.

Edit : I appreciate you expressing your point of you though.

Why not using only ingame CAS items for your sims then? You know, if other peoples CC don't actually add anything of value to your hard work, you should be able to do without it.

Yes, indeed, I agree with this point, I think car assembly plants should only create cars and profit from them using material created and produced by the company that owns the specific assembly.

I think that EA shouldn't profit from Maxis and The Sims 4 because most of the assets are owned by Maxis.

I think agriculture production shouldn't profit from land that is not directly owned by the people planting on it.

I think we should ignore basic principles of economy on intermediary based production and how planet Earth works so I can push my argument for people not advertising their only source of income.

Furthermore, I literally never said the CC doesn't add anything to my creations lol, I said it's ridiculous to say we're "profiting from other peoples' work" as if we don't do any work at all, which it is insulting andd jumping the shark by a huge mile there.

Have you ever thought about what happens if you by any chance get banned from LL for spamming? What happens to your Patreon income then? Does playing dirty worth the risk?

At this point it doesn't matter who started it. It only matters that this behavior needs to stop.

Yes, exactly, that's why I don't spam as I said it in my post, my last update was nearly 24 hours ago when I did added new contet, like I literally said in my original post.

25 minutes ago, RDA said:

@Idiche Volfe Well, I hope it work for you cause your link to your Patreon is not the good one in one of your creation.

To answer, we're not questioning the work itself, we're questioning your behaviour and the legitimacy of your work which uses without credit the work of others, who have also spent hundreds of hours on their creations. So yea, it has the creator's name on it, and yea, it is hard to track what CC you use and yea, sometimes a creation disapear from the internet. That gives you the right not to credit ? I don't have an opinion on whether to credit or not, but you can understand that many people have a problem with it.

I'm sorry to be cynical, especially since I feel sorry for your situation, but that doesn't justify the spam and toxicity that some of the sims creators have shown. If you all post only when you update your creation and doesnt race to be "at the top", you would never need spam. But if you have adopted this behaviour, you are part of the problem.

Edit : I appreciate you expressing your point of you though.

I understand why people have a problem with it, and I veemently disagree with it for the sole reason that it's being used to deligitimize work that I put hours of my life on it.