Sim Spam in Downloads

to me this is all about spam, i have no issue with anyone making money off of any hard work that they do. Just do it right is all. there are a lot of examples of modder's who make money for their work who do it right keep all there stuff on one page don't spam us all the time give credit where credit is due and do quality work. I have no problem buying a coffee for them every once in a while.

2 minutes ago, Spam Police said:

Based on @Khlas's idea, I made a little mock-up. 

What I'm envisioning is a separate hamburger menu for every mod with "Hide this file" and "Hide all files from this user" options.

What do you guys think?

mockup.png.1fb284079e1abde45cea7bcb5e8df513.png

not bad at all if it comes to that. but so far 2 modders who spam have replied back so far and are agreeing to stop the practice i say we keep trying to educate first than go with that suggestion if all else fails

9 minutes ago, jbradhl said:

to me this is all about spam, i have no issue with anyone making money off of any hard work that they do. Just do it right is all. there are a lot of examples of modder's who make money for their work who do it right keep all there stuff on one page don't spam us all the time give credit where credit is due and do quality work. I have no problem buying a coffee for them every once in a while

I have the exact same sentiments, My main issue as well is the spamming, and I fundamentally have no problem with Patreon/Early Access, as long as it's not the sole focus of a modder.

7 minutes ago, Khlas said:

Again I need a black list feature that will hide every contents from the blacklisted person, even their download page.

(trying to go back to solutions discussion)

For the wider community though a personal blacklist doesn't help. New users would soon get fed up with the same old non content going round and round. There is only so many times you can download the same "updated" files before it becomes tiresome and you leave the community. All before you work out what a "blacklist" is. I think today has proved the only solution is the Mods need to step in, issue warnings, suspensions and bans. Sadly if you now look, many are now just re-uploading the same files, it's beyond a joke. They clearly read this and have changed what they do but still spam.

17 minutes ago, Spam Police said:

Based on @Khlas's idea, I made a little mock-up. 

What I'm envisioning is a separate hamburger menu for every mod with "Hide this file" and "Hide all files from this user" options.

What do you guys think?

mockup.png.1fb284079e1abde45cea7bcb5e8df513.png

This is great. I was maybe a bit too radical so it's a good compromise.

10 minutes ago, ChinaTam said:

many are now just re-uploading the same files

IMHO, a "Hide all files from this user" option would easily remedy this. Fast and Easy, and the spammers can go on spamming at their little hearts content, I will see none of it anymore.

10 minutes ago, ChinaTam said:

the only solution is the Mods need to step in, issue warnings, suspensions and bans

There are like only 4 mods for the whole site, expecting them to police all this crap is not feasible.
I think Personal content curation is the way to go.

4 minutes ago, Spam Police said:

There are like only 4 mods for the whole site, expecting them to police all this crap is not feasible.
I think Personal content curation is the way to go.

I've said I'll do the Mod for the sims download ?

I agree that it is a solution for you, and me and maybe other. But not for newcommer who will come and see all the same file again and again. It dont fix the problem, just hide it under the carpet. (still a good idea to me, but not a long term solution)

2 minutes ago, RDA said:

I agree that it is a solution for you, and me and maybe other. But not for newcommer who will come and see all the same file again and again. it dont fix the problem, just hide it. (still a good idea to me, but not a long term solution)

Agree, it only really helps us. To be honest had I come here a month ago I'd have left again fairly soon which is kind of sad as I love the community feel ☹️

Okay, here me out, I present another reason for Personal Curation against manual banning.

There are some, khmmm, "enthusiastic amateurs" on the site who - no offence - are keep making p1ss poor content, some of them doing it for years, while not advancing into anything better then poster recolors / easel painting replacers / etc. They are not spamming per se, they're just BAD. I'd like to have the option to never to see their stuff again, because I simply have no interest in what they do. I can do my own posters, it's piss easy with S4S.

1 minute ago, Spam Police said:

Okay, here me out, I present another reason for Personal Curation against manual banning.

There are some, khmmm, "enthusiastic amateurs" on the site who - no offence - are keep making p1ss poor content, some of the doing it for years, while not advancing into anything better then poster recolors / easel painting replacers. They are not spamming, they're just BAD. I'd like to have the option to never to see their stuff again, because I simply have no interest in what they do.

These "amateurs" are always ready to listen I think. If they are informed about the functioning (update of the rules?) they will do better afterwards.

The one who must be stopped are already known, they refuse to talk and they adapt the way they spam. The others, we can discuss I think.

2 minutes ago, Spam Police said:

There are some, khmmm, "enthusiastic amateurs" on the site who - no offence - are keep making p1ss poor content, some of them doing it for years, while not advancing into anything better then poster recolors / easel painting replacers / etc. They are not spamming, they're just BAD. I'd like to have the option to never to see their stuff again, because I simply have no interest in what they do.

See your point, maybe the "ignore user" could be extended to downloads as well ??? Manual banning is the final straw ;)

13 minutes ago, Mervejuana said:
19 minutes ago, Spam Police said:

There are some, khmmm, "enthusiastic amateurs" on the site who - no offence - are keep making p1ss poor content, some of them doing it for years, while not advancing into anything better then poster recolors / easel painting replacers / etc. They are not spamming per se, they're just BAD. I'd like to have the option to never to see their stuff again, because I simply have no interest in what they do.

The file I shared my sims seems to have been completely erased and removed. But the content of the person who started the spam application is still available and the spam continues to update. I'm very sorry about this. Is there anything I can do? I have no idea. Can I open a new file and continue sharing my sims? Or should I give up on this? :/

no please do not give up that would be bad for the user you agreed to stop the practice no one want's you to stop modding just use good practice methods you obviously care or would not be here  helping come up with a solution that everyone caN live with

Edited by jbradhl
16 minutes ago, Spam Police said:

There are some, khmmm, "enthusiastic amateurs" on the site who - no offence - are keep making p1ss poor content, some of them doing it for years, while not advancing into anything better then poster recolors / easel painting replacers / etc. They are not spamming per se, they're just BAD. I'd like to have the option to never to see their stuff again, because I simply have no interest in what they do. I can do my own posters, it's piss easy with S4S.

95% of all mods ever made are just trash. That's what you get, modders aren't professionals. I don't have issues with the quality of the spammers, for all I know they do good stuff, I just ignore any post that looks like an ad on principle. It's only the method that is an issue.

These are two separate issues. I agree with you, in a way. I would also love the "Blacklist user" feature, purely for my own use, but it's not a solution for the issue of people abusing the system to stay on top in the recently updated section. I mean, we aren't talking about many users here, a moderator, a stern message to cut out that shit should do it. We aren't exactly talking about an amendment to the consitution here, no need to rewrite the rules, we just need a damned moderator for the sims section since it has grown so much. There are A LOT of simmers who never comment passing through here for WW, making the issue what it is, since the actual posting community couldn't possibly provide enough to make it worth staying on top. 

A couple of mods could handle this place 10 years ago when it was basically a lawless waste of Nexus-refugees with just Lovers with PK and F:NV Tryout, but the sims section in huge now. A moderator is honestly what we need.

that could cause a backlog for the moderators if they are not able to get right to checking out the mod. not to mention the onus would be placed on them they have enough to do now

2 hours ago, Spam Police said:

I have the exact same sentiments, My main issue as well is the spamming, and I fundamentally have no problem with Patreon/Early Access, as long as it's not the sole focus of a modder.

Everyone has their own opinion and such, we're together on the spam but the Patreon stance we differ, no biggie honestly, to each their own. To me its the worst offense (paywalling other peoples content that is), seen to many good modders in not only Sims games but others in general flat out quit due to plagiarism or outright theft. So to me, the locking of other peoples hard work, even if its for a short period of time or not even claiming its their own work is a grave offense. I'm willing to throw a few dollars into someones tip jar (Patreon) to show my appreciation for their hard work, only as long as its honestly theirs.

2 hours ago, Mervejuana said:

The file I shared my sims seems to have been completely erased and removed. But the content of the person who started the spam application is still available and the spam continues to update. I'm very sorry about this. Is there anything I can do? I have no idea. Can I open a new file and continue sharing my sims? Or should I give up on this? :/

It may have gotten reported. I can't say for certain, but I think if a file gets a report or multiple reports it becomes hidden. One of the more notorious spammers here, shortly after I reported them their works vanished for a short period of time. Came back a bit later tho, so could be that?

1 minute ago, Neodarkside said:

It may have gotten reported. I can't say for certain, but I think if a file gets a report or multiple reports it becomes hidden. One of the more notorious spammers here, shortly after I reported them their works vanished for a short period of time. Came back a bit later tho, so could be that?

I don't know exactly, it may be what you said. I hope so! Thank you for your answer. ?

Thank you so much for this topic.

I'm glad that I am not the only person feeling this about the overload of spam.

I don't mind seeing new work if there is in fact new stuff to see. 

Perhaps there should be a Patreon only thread somewhere where those people could advertise.