Fallout 76 announcement? (Bethesda Live Stream)

Reginald_001

This might be just me, but does it seem that Bethesda have put more effort in F76 than they actually did into Fallout 4?  Granted, F4 is coming up on its 3 year anniversary, and they have updated their engine for 76, but watching that Noclip documentary I just get the feeling that they seem more excited and passionate and creative while working on 76.  They have also addressed several complaints I and many others have about 4.  The map is 4x bigger, meaning it loses that cramped, small feeling 4 had, and since West Virginia is land locked, part of the map isn't completely wasted by water.  It looks to have way more armor and weapon types, and enemy variety.  But then they had to make a PvP survival game.  I guess I'll just wait for them to add private servers and mod support.

56 minutes ago, shadowlord445 said:

This might be just me, but does it seem that Bethesda have put more effort in F76 than they actually did into Fallout 4?  Granted, F4 is coming up on its 3 year anniversary, and they have updated their engine for 76, but watching that Noclip documentary I just get the feeling that they seem more excited and passionate and creative while working on 76.  They have also addressed several complaints I and many others have about 4.  The map is 4x bigger, meaning it loses that cramped, small feeling 4 had, and since West Virginia is land locked, part of the map isn't completely wasted by water.  It looks to have way more armor and weapon types, and enemy variety.  But then they had to make a PvP survival game.  I guess I'll just wait for them to add private servers and mod support.

Well if they put less effort into it, it wouldn't be a saleable item at all :P

Right now the best is to wait and see. Wait for the official release (post BETA). wait for the "private worlds". Don't assume anything. 

It seems BGS themselves don't know the answers to the questions people are asking. They think that they can handle it and they have ideas how they are going to try to do that. "Dialing in", "tweaking", "incentives" - player vs player drama is in the core of the game's concept. They believe they can find an optimal solution. 

Watching the documentary I got the feeling that V76 is a roleplaying game they made for themselves - to roleplay as Vault Tec. The players are the vault dwellers, subjected to experiments: give them nukes - see what they do, tweak the damage they can do or sustain - see how they handle it. 

About the mods, we still don't know what "online" actually means. It is not streaming, so what exactly is online and what is not? 

It seems BattleCry made the low level engine changes to support MP, but the main BGS team worked on the actual game files themselves. We'll need to wait and see if the FO4 modding will be somehow compatible. Looking at all the abandoned mods for FO4 I doubt there will be a big interest in creating mods specific to V76. 

They are dancing around the question about an SP experience and I believe at this point  they are simply afraid to just say "No". I'm really annoyed that TH says "otherwise it is a game you would expect from us". I think their attempts to sugar-code the situation only adds more drama and uncertainty. 

The only good thing in this is the ending of the documentary where Starfield is referred to as a vast SP game. I don't know if I'm fully believing him, but it is enough for me to entert the Acceptance phase and move on. My 60 bucks will go to Ubisoft, instead of BGS. My 64 (sixty four) y.o. boss who is an MP nut will get to play his first ever Fallout. The life goes on. 

I suspect that this piece of abomination was another one of that dead man Pete's idea.

Otherwise Todd would never do such a thing, he loved single player game with full modding.

Only Pete Hines have the power and possible capability of forcing him to do such a horrible thing.

Just watch E3's video, Todd's face looks like he was in great pain while he talking about V76.

4 hours ago, ag12 said:

I don't think that they will enforce Creation Club usage. My prediction (I know I sound crazy) is that about 3 months after launch, they'll release the CK and server software. They confirmed that private servers will be a thing and they are painfully aware of how important the modding community is for them. My take on the Creation Club was always that it's a tool designed to bring mods to console - nothing more, nothing less. All the fear that CC would be required and the only way to mod the game was false back then and I still believe it's false now, even though the risk for mandatory-CC happening is higher for an online-only title.

However, I've been following basically all interviews with Bethesda people since like forever, since obviously I'm quite invested in their games, and they show high amounts of appreciation for the modding community in general. Obviously they try to keep the adult mods off the front pages, but let's be real here: they've not actually made any effort to get any of what we're doing here shut down. So stop panicking everyone.

Right, so this is the sort of fearmongering that I despise.

1. They confirmed an involved and not yet finished PvP system with the explicit purpose of avoiding exactly what you're describing.

2. Their studio has grown to almost double the size since they started developing Fallout 4 - with the engine (-net code) in place, much less time is being soaked by backend work and more time, and generally way more people due to the new hires, are available for level design. By the way, the biggest chunk of new coding (net code) is done by a separate studio under ZeniMax that wasn't at all involved with the Fallout games before, so all the crack people from Beth are focusing on level/quest design and don't even need to bother with the large engine changes that 'going online' entails.

3. Maybe. Maybe not.

4. Where the fuck did you get that information? Fallout 76 is going to have a story as all their previous games have. Literally the only difference is that Fallout 76 will not have human NPCs, but will indeed have humanoid NPCs (new faction 'The Scorched': basically ghouls) and robots, terminals, etc. They even talk about how moving the quest system to be character-bound instead of quest-bound (in technical terms, eg where the information is stored) was one of the biggest issues for them and took them a long time to solve. So please, inform yourself before you spread 'information' that's simply false. Fallout 76 will have quests and will have lore.

5. Really now?

6. I hope you're aware that the only reason for the modding community to even exist is the fact that while they are developing their engine, they are keeping the basic stuff in place. If they suddenly changed to an entirely new engine, you'd have nowhere near the sort of mods we have. Just look at the Witcher franchise. Sure, there's mods, but by no means is there the diversity that we have for Bethesda's games, because for Beth games us modders have been honing our work-flow since Morrowind and we understand the engine and with each new iteration of the engine many things get improved but we still know our way around the systems. Many, many modders aren't actually working in programming, let alone game design, so when you're asking for an entirely new engine, you better be prepared to spend the next 3 years learning how to operate an entirely new set of dev tools and so forth, because I guarantee you that most of us won't have the time to do that.

And micro-transactions? Sure, it's been confirmed by the Todd himself, but it's also be confirmed that it's purely cosmetics and that not a single thing will be micro-transactions-only. You will be able to get every single piece of cosmetic gear through gameplay. And yes, that's in the interview I posted above.

To put it in a nutshell: I, too, am highly sceptical about Fallout 76 and I, too, would've preferred if the next big game would have been another singleplayer game like the ones we know and love - but the least we can do is give them a fair shot at this. And what we absolutely shouldn't do is shitpost and make it seem like it's worse than it actually is. Just move away from looking at this game like it's Fallout 5 - it isn't. I'm fairly confident that we will be able to, in due time, get adult content into Fallout 76, with a twist: it's going to be online. And while that is an entirely different thing, one that I have no experience with at all, I'm going to see how it turns out.

/rant

1. How would that work ? On/Off PvP flags ? A report system ? Ghosting system ? Reputation system ? Player downvotes ? Temporary bans ? Ignore lists ? I don't think any of these would work in a FPS/softcore survival game. I think there's no way of preventing griefing, it comes in varied forms, and most of the time the griefed ends up punished by those systems. Griefers always find a way to bypass it, or turn it against you. By the time they'd be punished by it, the grief would be done since long. cf LoL, Overwatch, Rust, Wow, GTA, etc. Hackers... well it's self explanatory. 

2. Even though they're not alone working on it, I find that 3 years is a pretty short time for a decent storyline/quests & the usual dense lore that comes with it, even if it's their only task. Fallout 4 took around 5 years according to Todd (2010 interview), maybe more, and we still got Billy the kid quest and other botched quests/dialogs. Same thing for locations since it's supposedly 4 times bigger than Fallout 4's map. Again, maybe am wrong and they worked efficiently with a larger team/more studios on 76. But I'd rather lower my expectations regarding this.

3. IMO : CC mods aren't interesting on Fallout 4. Even when free. Thing is, I find that furnitures, PA paints, decorations, structures etc we got with the base game were pretty... dull. I fear that they'll do the same with 76 "vanilla" stuff, and actually make the CC appealing compared to it. I hope it will not be an excuse to provide little customization with the base game that's all

4. Eehhh yeah okay you got me, out of my rear, which is a reliable source. Honestly, I don't trust what they say, remember the 200 Fallout 3 endings ? The Oblivion unscripted AI ? It's Todd we're talking about, he's not on Sean murray's level, but no that far either. I'm not falling for other lies, I won't believe a single words especially from an E3 conf or his interviews. Also, and again IMO, I don't think Online and Good story line/quests go hand in hand.

5. I figured this out all by myself

6. Yes I'm aware of that, but since I wasn't and still am not expecting it to be "third party" mods friendly (since it's online) I also expected a better engine. Also can't imagine gamebryo engine (even upgraded) to work well for online purposes. Again speaking out of my rear tbh but even with my poor understanding of it, I still can't picture it rendering 30 players shooting guns & nukes at the same time.

Keep in mind it's just my opinion, you're free to dismiss/despise it, brand it pessimistic shitpost or whatever. I just didn't feel the need to write IMO in every sentences, but it's all IMO. Not asking you to adopt it or take it as gospel . I too am sceptical about 76, and super pessimistic about it. I was hyped until they confirmed it was online. I was hoping for Fo5. I just don't want to see the Fallout franchise fade because of what seems (again, IMO) like a half baked online iteration tarnishing previous titles

meh...I'll just wait for Starfield or TES6 or whatever dedicated single-player OFFLINE game Beth would churn out...I just find it odd that some well known game companies are more focused on "Doing something new" rather than polishing up the tried and tested formula they have been winging for a long time...and don't get me started on CDProjektRed's Cyberpunk 2077...

Yes people need to go out more and try new things but not in a way that the "old people" will feel so alienated...

Just take Christianity converting Pagans as an example and Beth should be fine...lol

2 hours ago, arpaschad said:

meh...I'll just wait for Starfield or TES6 or whatever dedicated single-player OFFLINE game Beth would churn out...I just find it odd that some well known game companies are more focused on "Doing something new" rather than polishing up the tried and tested formula they have been winging for a long time...and don't get me started on CDProjektRed's Cyberpunk 2077...

Yes people need to go out more and try new things but not in a way that the "old people" will feel so alienated...

Just take Christianity converting Pagans as an example and Beth should be fine...lol

as you said so nicely, CD Project Red, I loved the Witcher series above all else, I still play these today.
but Cyberpunk 2077 never comes on my PC, I hate this company for this change and I hate myself, because I gave this company a generous donation!

8 hours ago, winny257 said:

as you said so nicely, CD Project Red, I loved the Witcher series above all else, I still play these today.
but Cyberpunk 2077 never comes on my PC, I hate this company for this change and I hate myself, because I gave this company a generous donation!

Okay, kinda off-topic (again), but what do you have against CDPR? They are practically the last "good" developer left, all the other big ones (including Beth) have sold their souls to EA the devil and/or are in the hands of execs that only care about max short-term profit and milking as much cash as possible no matter how many franchises they ruin while doing so.

CDPR still creates quality games, and seems like Cyberpunk 2077 would be the same. With any other developer, the bit about microtransactions in singleplayer games being stupid would have been very hypocritical because they would end up implementing them all the same, but with CDPR we can be 99% sure it won't happen and all DLC (if any) will actually be worth it, more or less.

Cyberpunk 2077 is literally the only thing I'm really excited about from this E3 (plenty of other good stuff but I'm not interested in it so it doesn't count for me), and the only game I'm considering pre-ordering (which I swore to never do again) mainly because it's CDPR doing it. Though I obviously also like the genre, so that's a plus.

1 hour ago, Blaze69 said:

Okay, kinda off-topic (again), but what do you have against CDPR? They are practically the last "good" developer left, all the other big ones (including Beth) have sold their souls to EA the devil and/or are in the hands of execs that only care about max short-term profit and milking as much cash as possible no matter how many franchises they ruin while doing so.

CDPR still creates quality games, and seems like Cyberpunk 2077 would be the same. With any other developer, the bit about microtransactions in singleplayer games being stupid would have been very hypocritical because they would end up implementing them all the same, but with CDPR we can be 99% sure it won't happen and all DLC (if any) will actually be worth it, more or less.

Cyberpunk 2077 is literally the only thing I'm really excited about from this E3 (plenty of other good stuff but I'm not interested in it so it doesn't count for me), and the only game I'm considering pre-ordering (which I swore to never do again) mainly because it's CDPR doing it. Though I obviously also like the genre, so that's a plus.

did you read what @arpaschad wrote?

***Yes people need to go out more and try new things but not in a way that the "old people" will feel so alienated...***

and exactly that is the reason, I will this year 61, I like this modern shooter shit not anymore!
and especially not, when a shooter calls himself RPG, I like the old sword swinging RPGs.
and if there are no more, then I save a lot of money and I have plenty of it.
I gave CDPR a big donation for the good work of The Witcher 3.
I would have known beforehand, that they do next Cyberpunk 2077, then there would have been no donation from me!

6 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

And someone once said this tag was going too far: #HowardAndHinesMustDie :classic_tongue:

Well yeah if someone really wants to kill somebody because they don't make a video game the way they want, they should seek mental help or be intitutionalised for the good of society.

1 hour ago, Halstrom said:

Well yeah if someone really wants to kill somebody because they don't make a video game the way they want, they should seek mental help or be intitutionalised for the good of society.

Take it (and everything Twitter-related) with a grain of salt. After all, as the Putz of the United States keeps demonstrating, Twitter is for twits. Anyone who takes a tweet tag as literally true needs to relearn the meaning of words like "exaggeration," "perspective," and "sarcasm." And this is coming from an aspie! We're usually the ones who can't tell when someone is being serious or sarcastic. Yet even we know not to take social sociopathic media as having any relation to reality.

Although a better wording would be #HowardAndHinesMustGo

On 6/15/2018 at 2:58 AM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Take it (and everything Twitter-related) with a grain of salt. After all, as the Putz of the United States keeps demonstrating, Twitter is for twits. Anyone who takes a tweet tag as literally true needs to relearn the meaning of words like "exaggeration," "perspective," and "sarcasm." And this is coming from an aspie! We're usually the ones who can't tell when someone is being serious or sarcastic. Yet even we know not to take social sociopathic media as having any relation to reality.

Although a better wording would be #HowardAndHinesMustGo

Well, for Howard, despite his tendency to lie, it does seem like he's genuinely passionate about TES & Fallout. But Hines can go rot in hell. Just read this (& comments)

1 hour ago, JujuVolikhar said:

Well, for Howard, despite his tendency to lie, it does seem like he's genuinely passionate about TES & Fallout. But Hines can go rot in hell. Just read this (& comments)

Unfortunately every company has it KPI focusing bean counters who usually can't see the big picture is bad because they focus on all the little pictures being better than each other. Its about their bonuses not whether the company is a world leader or just forgotten 50 years later.

Years ago, long before computer games were anything other than the dreams of Gen X er's, I remember hanging with my D&D buddies, pencil and dice in hand, discussing our wish for online role playing games. A sort of game where we can either hang out together, or just alone and still get to adventure in a world full of other like minded people. 

So far, I have yet to experience the game we were dreaming about all those years (decades) ago. However, watching Noclip's documentary has left me hopefully optimistic. I'm planning on buying the game on release and giving it a red hot go. If it doesn't work out, then so be it. A few bucks spent on a game isn't going to break the bank.

Not so interested in FO76 myself. But, it does look like they are rather enthusiastic about it. I wish they had been for FO4 as well. Still, Starfield looks very interesting- especially since the ME series is gone. I will be watching that one closely and dreaming of exploring the stars once again- Bugthesda style, Baby!!:mrgreen:

Whats the first thing your gonna do after you finish the tutorial and get into the open world in Fallout: 76?

For me I'm going to go find all those nuke codes and nuke everyone

Archived