6 hours ago, Juliette Tango said:

To reverse the women's genetic mutations, the crew seeks the help of the Orions: an alien race whose trading currency is SEX!

Desperate times call for desperate measures? ? An excellent concept, Juliette!

@carlfatal I wish I had your building skills! I can't put together even a simple, decent looking roof for my "living boxes". ?

A few more pictures of the beach princess. (The last batch, hopefully. ?)

1684471467_10-26-20_7-01-38PM.png.af47aedd447ced3d19fb0ca8c84892f4.png

Spoiler

663044611_10-26-20_7-25-01PM.png.53585a9953fc962f63641a17b2b14e66.png

521150022_10-26-20_7-35-03PM.png.ee99729def580b28262dcfd63b513a29.png

1505409017_10-26-20_7-42-01PM.png.1c6a35b05fb8b08984dd268fa9f8fa7e.png

1007947263_10-26-20_7-39-49PM.png.bce8d79fb171fbed5b9b4e7d304ff7de.png

1863983694_10-26-20_7-36-56PM.png.f574428295a29ad0d9bc7c00a290c258.png

36 minutes ago, erplederp said:

Trust me, we don't mind!  She's cute as hell.

And speaking of building, I've started from scratch building something I've done before, but ended up with tons of wasted space.  I didn't know how to do dormers, and also the roofs which begin on the second floor used 2 rows instead of 1, resulting in a much smaller floor with windows only on the ends.

Also since this shot, I've figured out something better for that little roof over the entrance, bringing it down lower so it doesn't look silly.

The place is huge, it would comfortably house 12 sims if you used a mod to increase household size.

1600373519_TS4_x642020-10-2717-06-46.png.1fd1b2a8895a8d8cc1d741fff06adda5.png

1 hour ago, erplederp said:

Desperate times call for desperate measures? ? An excellent concept, Juliette!

@carlfatal I wish I had your building skills! I can't put together even a simple, decent looking roof for my "living boxes". ?

1684471467_10-26-20_7-01-38PM.png.af47aedd447ced3d19fb0ca8c84892f4.png

Any chance is this sim preset available to the public? She's too cute not to love!

On 10/27/2020 at 11:21 PM, snowdog04 said:

Trust me, we don't mind!  She's cute as hell.

And speaking of building, I've started from scratch building something I've done before, but ended up with tons of wasted space.  I didn't know how to do dormers, and also the roofs which begin on the second floor used 2 rows instead of 1, resulting in a much smaller floor with windows only on the ends.

Also since this shot, I've figured out something better for that little roof over the entrance, bringing it down lower so it doesn't look silly.

The place is huge, it would comfortably house 12 sims if you used a mod to increase household size.

I am not sure, if that is something, you´ve asked for, but I can give some tips in general, if it comes to build hosues in the Sims games. I hope, you won´t feel offended, cause it´s not meant to be.

First thing: I like that house in general, especially the roof is coming out nicely with it´s different angles.

The size, yes, one should always try to build small. Consider, that the Sims 4 doesn´t have the routing problems, that were normal in Sims 3. I usually start a bedroom with 4x4, a bath with 2x3, a kitchen with 3x4, and a kids room with 4x4 too. But these are first thoughts only. You can build even smaller, and you can for sure build bigger... :classic_biggrin:

But I don´t plan a house from the room´s perspective at all, like it is implemented in the Sims 4, I always do a interesting facade first, especially not always plain walls but lots of bays, that subdivide the facade into different parts, so that it looks more interesting and/or eye pleasing. The rooms inside also benefit from these bays, as for example, a toilet needs a 1x1 space, and a bathtub 2x1. So if you put them into such a  bay, you can make the overall room for a bath smaller again. And with ALT you can place objects freely, so a sink and a toilet can be placed together on a 1x1 square, and both can be used though. If you build a house in this way, rooms will tend to be less rectangular but more diverse.

To the roof: Yes, you did it right, you have to build roofs per floor, and not in general. Usually a 45degree roof willl need 3 tiles to reach the full floor height (the lowest one). To be routable, you will need the full wall height, but not for the use of objects. It´s a shame, that we can´t build ceilings anymore, but you can open the walls to the lower parts of a roof and use them for counters or other things, only sims can not walk there.

If I see it right, your attic is two tiles wide, but you should have place of two more tiles for dormers on this floor as well. You can also shorten them, cause windows can be placed above roof parts. So the dormers will look smaller from the outside but you´ll have one tile more space on the inside. Often that is enough to make a room usable.

But the most important thing is, to think small. Big rooms need to be filled, and that is not an easy task, especially if they are rectangular. A living room or a hallway can be big, cause they often function as representative rooms, and they can be used to impress visitors. But the most other rooms are private, and so they don´t need a big size at all.

Back to the roof of your house, I would widen the upper attic in parts to four tiles, but not in general. And you can place even a double bed in a room, that is 3x4 tiles, and it will still be usable, if sime have half a tile on either side to reach it. That is enough.

You may remember my Reader´s Home, one of the smaller buildings I did. Here is the floorplan:

The basement:

wnz3i2t4.jpg

The first floor:

hsdp6fjv.jpg

The attic:

bamzsekl.jpg

The roof:

z8mqiqgd.jpg

I usually try to build like in RL, so rooms, that need pipes or water should be placed together or stacked, and I also build chimneys like real ones, so they need place in a house. And I try to "feel" something like structural analysis in my builds, cause this makes them more realistic too. But these things also help to give some ideas of the structure of a layout. 

Here the living room had to wander into the attic, cause there was enough space, that I didn´t want to divide into super small rooms, also it can serve as a kind of hallway at the same time too, and also I had this idea of a library and a grand piano in the first floor. Well, it works this way, so I did it. The chimney can be reached rom two sides, so fireplaces could be built in the kitchen and the library, and in the living room and the master bedroom as well.

The stairs are stacked, something, that I always do. Its useful, and it looks good, and it provides a better space management in general, caus you have one hallway to reach all the floors of a house.

And at least: have a look to the room layout. Like I said above: There are nearly no rectangular rooms but every bay is used for something, a mirror, a bench, a toilet. And this house is not small at all, it has plenty of space for clutter and room for guests to sit and have talks.

I started with an rectangle and made a cross from it, and then I added all the space to give the outside some diverse look. And only after I did this first outside and the roof in general, I started to build the inside and the rooms in detail.

And even if I know, that I am not a starter in building houses, I needed roundabout 30 hours to build this one. And the hardest part is always at the start, when I don´t know, where to place rooms and staircases. This Victorian Mansion, that I showed last: damn, I rebuilt parts of that house three or four times... Now I am working on the furnishing, and with no cluttering I hope to finish it tomorrow. Then this house will have needed more than 50 hours to get finished. And also I am still learning tricks from much better builders, than I am.

Last but not least: If you like to build, then try and don´t get mad, if it won´t come out in the first try like you want to. It´s a slow process but in the end you will win against the build mode. Also I really recommend to look the videos of builders like Devon Bumpkin or lilsimsie. They provide lots of tricks, and it´s not too hard to follow them through their journeys. Especially lilsimsie mostly builds very common stuff, and the floorplans she use, are often coming from real buildings. So my last tip is: Have a look on floorplans in the internet, search for styles and examples, there is a lot. Use square paper to reorganize them to the grid of the Sims game. This can help a lot.

If you like, you can download the house here. As far as I now, It´s CC-free but I have all addons exept the pets stuff pack, and you WILL NEED to place the lot with "bb.moveobjects" on though. Also you need to enable CC-builds to see my house in your library, cause I always build with TwistedMexi´s BetterBuildBuy mod. You will not need the mod for using the house though: carlfatal_The Reader´s Home_fixed version.zip

It is made for Glimmerbrook, and it replaces the starter home there.

I hope, I was able to give some good tips though. Happy simming to you all! :classic_smile:

@carlfatal  This is in fact the first time I've started with getting the outside right- even if it needs lots more detail still- and then started filling the inside.  This one was intended to be really big from the beginning, but now I have no idea what I'm ever going to do with it lol.  The attic is actually 4 tiles wide- that's how big the place is.  Ground floor is 12x28, 2nd floor is 10x28 plus the 1x4 dormers, and the attic is 4x28.  Upstairs is 6 bedrooms, 3 baths, along with a 2 tile wide hallway.

Usually what I do is to put up just outside walls.  Then inside I lay out each room's furniture, plumbing, and appliances, then draw the interior walls around them.  I nearly always end up changing the original outside walls, because they turned out to be too big/not big enough.  And then I get to the windows/doors, and the outside ends up looking like a mess- windows can't go where they look good on the outside, because there's an interior wall there, this window should be small because that's a bathroom but it's a front wall and now it looks funny, etc.  Also my houses usually end up as a bland rectangle or L.  So they end up playing great, and the inside looks really good if I take the time to decorate (not always) but the outside is not something I really want to share a screenshot of.

And then there's some builds I've downloaded, that look absolutely fantastic... and usually good to play with.  Until you need something.  And they've left you no room for anything, and tacking on an addition would ruin the whole thing.  Even a basement would screw the whole thing up, because you have to get down there somehow, and they really haven't left you ANY room.

38 minutes ago, Juliette Tango said:

Playing great is definitely important! Some places I've downloaded look fantastic, but you can't set up a shot for pictures or videos because the camera is shooting upwards or down or because the rooms are too small and walls get in the way.

A lot of builders don´t play the game. And not only a few never even playtest their builds. If I see all the rooms cluttered with hundreds of objects, I usually avoid to download such a lot. My builds are made for playing, and I use some deco but not too much. Some time ago I only uploaded unfurnished buildings but people don´t like that, so I now put some effort into furnishing them.

This strange camera behavior, is a feature of EAxis, it occurs in all higher buildings, not on the ground floor, as it is caused by the height difference between the inside and the outside of a building. It is not possible to avoid it completely, and I can only recommend to use bungalow styled buildings, if it is too annoying. But it definately is not caused by small rooms. I love playing in tiny houses, and they work well. But I don´t like to play in apartments in San Myshuno for example, cause there you always have this strange camera  movement. This problem isn´t new though, the same feature/bug occurred in the Sims 2 and 3.

@snowdog04,

yeah, I saw the "first" attic is four tiles wide, I thought, you would mention the one above under directly the roof ridge. :classic_biggrin:

After I´ve done a first attempt of my building I usually make the roof, to get a shape of the whole thing. Then I look for windows, and during this part I also build the staircase, that always will be a stacked one in my houses. If these things are done, I decide, where to put the kitchen and the bathrooms. The next step then is building chimneys, as they will define, where I can have walls for rooms later on. This is the reason, why they didn´t appear on my first pictures of the mansion, I´ve posted lately.

But like you all say: If one plays the game, a build must reflect the needs of the gameplay. So you can build small but you never should clutter like some builders like to do. as this usually implies the end of playability, it can eventually cause lags (and even too much windows can cause lags). If I build for others, and I do so for some streamers I like, then I always playtest my builds for an hour or so, walk into every corner and use every objects at least once. Often I make a sim only for the build, and change between playmode and buildmode. After the house is done, it will be saved in my library, and I can erase the lot and copy the finished version into my game again. So it´ll be recognized as a new building with new objects instead of used ones afterwards, and the playtest-sim is gone. :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, carlfatal said:

yeah, I saw the "first" attic is four tiles wide, I thought, you would mention the one above under directly the roof ridge. :classic_biggrin:

That's just a roof, if it were in real life it would only be 2-3 feet tall, nothing up there at all.  I could do dormers off the 4-wide attic, but really there's no need for more space here lol.  The attic is just your classic attic, extra space under your roof where you store assorted junk.  It's accessed by a ladder rather than proper stairs, and at the other end there's a simoleans vault-  the property will end up with everything you need for Mansion Baron, except for the sheer property value.  Put money in the vault, jump into BB and back out, and boom you've completed Mansion Baron.  Then take the money back out, and go into BB and back out, and you won't get bills based on a $350k house.  Also shuffling simoleans like that counts as "earning" them for Fabulously Wealthy, so newly aged up Teens can instantly complete 2 aspirations just like that.

From this angle, it's more obvious- there is no 4th floor, just a very shallow gable roof.  The mouse is highlighting the 4-wide attic.

769851590_TS4_x642020-10-2819-22-15.png.9a2fddb553149bb407bd408843b9ffeb.png

The attic

733051141_TS4_x642020-10-2819-22-38.png.aaaaa9bfbc69758b2ce48a160009b852.png

The second floor.  This is the one I'm mostly wondering how to scale down, if I were to scale the whole thing down to something practical for 4-5 sims to be comfortable in.  I've got very reasonable-sized bedrooms here, and a 2 tile hallway.  Not sure how to shrink this.

1504742526_TS4_x642020-10-2819-23-05.png.61a656ddfb3fa1c30e8de243a2984a68.png

And the first floor.  It's vast.  Trying to fill this up so it doesn't look empty is probably the biggest challenge here.

1279591838_TS4_x642020-10-2819-23-26.png.456379c444544c9d208d905c506f389e.png

And the outside as it looks now.

298098963_TS4_x642020-10-2819-23-59.png.d4555821b9d44b50fec9abbfce2d5b3f.png

I was starting a game loosely based on the 100-baby challenge, until I realized, the @#%* am I thinking?  I hate toddlers.  I certainly don't want to deal with them ALL THE TIME for the foreseeable future.  

Ah, okay! I only saw the windows, and thought, you would use the space there. I always use every part a sim can reach. Often I don´t know, why, but if there is a chance to reach a place, I place a ladder... ?

But it´s a good idea to build a simoleons vault in the attic. It´s dusty and no (sadly not existing) robber will search there for a booty. :classic_biggrin:

My household currently has no chance to save money, as they need to finish school first. They craft mirrors all day long, and this is barely enough to pay the taxes...

34 minutes ago, carlfatal said:

My household currently has no chance to save money, as they need to finish school first. They craft mirrors all day long, and this is barely enough to pay the taxes...

Put up a small greenhouse and grow dragonfruit lol.  You just need snapdragon and strawberry to graft it, and it's ridiculously profitable.  You do need level 5 gardening to graft, but with some luck you can also catch your first dragonfruit while fishing.

@snowdog04, maybe I should try it out. :classic_smile:

Until now they only grow grass. Lilith is a real stoner, and without something to smoke, school is the pure horro for her. Both girls in my household also are nerds of some sorts, and although they are still very young, they have high levels in handiness and logic. I always knew, smoking grass can´t be wrong. ?

Today there was a big meeting, Mark Eggleston, the local grass dealer, Markus Flex, Nelly´s father, Yuki, Nelly´s mother, Lilith, the one, who killed the motherplant, and the cute and beloved Nelly herself. Last but not least to mention: The one and only Rocco Tiger:

mi5b2j97.jpg

@snowdog04, thanks for the pictures. Now it is more clear, that there is no place to stay in the upper part. And the rooms are really big indeed. But this vault is a nice idea, although we sadly have no robbers in Sims 4 anymore. This is something, I really miss.

And what should I say: I love the toddlers in Sims 4, and Nelly is portrayed on many pictures, although I never would try to do the 100 baby challenge, Nah, two, or maybe three kids per generation is really enough. But I always play families.

The house I am playing in, is much smaller but still the biggest house I ever had in a Sims game. I am not the type for mansions, and I always have problems to fill all the space with stuff. But I usually play families with one or two children, and of course cats.

When I started my StrangerVille adventure, Lilith was a runaway teen and solo, and instead of giving her the lot in the trailer park, I decided, that she once had a grandma in StrangerVille, and she got this house as a heritage. Afterwards I shortened the money to zero...

And I wouldn´t have changed anything, if not Yuki were visiting her, and me realizing, that Yuki was pregnant. So I thought, it would be pretty nice to have her as roommate and also an easy way to get a familiy early in the game. To have enough room for them i made the house one square longer, and I also enlarged the kitchen by one square. This was a good solution in the beginning, and there was enough space for two girls. After school they had to gather minerals and these small cubes then, and some weeks later, when Nelly was born, they had enough money to build the upper floor and a room for Yuki´s daughter. But from then on the house was too big. And even now there are two unused rooms, the former bedroom, and a second kid´s room on the upper level. And it got even bigger, when I built a basement for it, cause I could... "Think big", you know? :classic_laugh:

But on the other hand they learned a lot in this time, and with the crafting of mirrors they earn enough to pay for all the squares and stuff. Yuki even started painting, and now she is a newcomer in the freelance painter career. That gives another possibility to make some money from nothing. Nelly´s father is, what one can expect: He pays nothing for his kid but he impregnated so many women in this episode, that the girls never did count on him. They are best friends, so there is no need for someone else, especially not for someone like him.

Whatever, this house is damn huge in my eyes, and I am always thinking about another roommate, only the girls like to stay with the current situation. They often want to be alone, especially Yuki is a real loner and needs to spend a lot of time on her own. Often Lilith is the one, who looks for Nelly, bathes her, or reads her into sleep, while Yuki is cooking or cleaning or sinks into coding adventures at her computer.

Enough, i only want to explain, how this "huge" building started, and that I can confirm, that small houses work for me. This is, how the house looks from the street nowadays:

w6p7keye.jpg

More pictures? Then feel free to open:

Spoiler

Some overviews:

ayqt22my.jpg

xjntokdo.jpg

A view from the hallway to the former living room, that now serves as dining room and office in one:

gpbwqa7u.jpg

The other way round:

vat88rqi.jpg

Another angle of the dining room (6x8 squares) BTW the most furniture here comes from IKEA. On MTS you can find an IKEA stuff pack like in Sims 3, the piano is also from MTS:

2qitquif.jpg

The kitchen (4x5):

vg36kyoz.jpg

Another angle:

v3kg78t9.jpg

The staircase, the way to the basement is behind the piano:

tdf4s7qt.jpg

The second floor now is used as living room, after it was empty for a really long time:

us2s83fb.jpg

The same room, and Yuki knitting for the first time:

a665pch2.jpg

When Rocco Tiger became an adult, the girls changed their bedroom and have now a new one upstairs, safe from Tina Peeping (4x6):

u8h22acr.jpg

Even the former bedroom in the first floor was big enough not only for sporty activities but also for making pictures of those (4x5):

ximk5jtc.jpg

And the floorplan, starting with the roof:

xy7sdrlq.jpg

Second floor:

iqb442je.jpg

First floor:

xqnzwl8p.jpg

The basement is still only used as a fitness room for sparring and boxing. And I am not sure, what to do with it:

34xblc66.jpg

Yeah, that is the place I play in, and although I revised the other houses in Strangerville, I never thought about leaving this home for a bigger one in Shady Acres. Its nice to live near the center. Only one day the girls will leave Strangerville for a place in Britechester. But it´ll need a some time until then...

Happy simming! ?