Deus Ex 1 was awesome in the control it gave you over your character, and I think some parallels between that series and the Elder Scrolls games are similar.  Morrowind had a lot of control and customization in both skills and armor slots, but each game cut more more and more, I think catering to the console crowd and their limited controllers.  Morrowind more so but Oblivion as well had a chance to make you ineffective if you leveled up the wrong way, not even in what skills you chose. Too many stats in the wrong categories and you couldn't do much of anything.

The game reacting to your character choice is a big thing Skyrim is missing, as you can find a dark elf being hassled when you enter Windhelm the first time, but your own dark elf can just walk over to Ulfric and join their army. Um... ok?

The small villages telling your nord to 'Move on, stranger" at least makes some sense. Small towns all know each other, you are not from that town, and with a war on you might just be a spy and traitor from the other side.

A character creation system that let you pick a few traits or backstory items that could be hard coded into the game for NPC to react to would be nice.  Something like how guards comment on the weapon you carry, your skill "You're like me, dont fancy those clunky two handed weapons" (though how they know that, I don't know). Independent of how you actually make your character, there could be toggle / sliders for skinny / normal / fat or tall / short.  I think some NPCs do comment on your status in the guild quest chains or if you are the Harbinger, Arch mage or I think thieves Guild Master.

On the other hand, Content Consumer had to make a mod so you could ask the level 1 bandit or overly puffed up noble Do you know who I am? after you've killed the World Eater.

*snippy*

The reason I use DAO as an example is because whichever role you chose, royal dwarf or poor dwarf, mage or elf, the game responded to it very well. In Skyrim I can be a 3 meter tall orc with a penis that reaches my knees if I want, but the game wont respond to that. Aside from a very small amount of character remarks and a slight difference in stats, playing as an wood elf is pretty much the same as playing as a nord. That is why I prefer games that gives you something common to all PC's (I know this goes against my earlier remark about FO4 being less of an roleplaying game than Skyrim...). In Mass Effect you are Sheperd. You can mold which kind of Shepherd you want to be, but you can't escape that role, same with the Witcher-games. That means that the world will respond better to who you are. That is what I find most lacking in the Skyrim system. Since you have no identity, you are nobody. I realise it is harder in an open world game, so I wouldn't demand as much from Skyrim, I just wish there were a few more, small, touches added to make you feel like people noticed who you are. Maybe add something like Mount & Blade or Pillars of eternity, with a small questionarie to define your past, which could include some kind of "mysterious past" if you felt nothing fitted what you wanted to play.

I find no joy in acting like I feel my character should if the world doesn't respond to that. So I'll take the somewhat constrained feeling of pre-defined role over that.

that's true - DAO's ability to give a different slant to the story depending on your character is one of the best parts of the game.

Oblivion is probably more quickly punishing if you level up your character wrong because of the aggressive level list system which clearly showed their inexperience with it. In Morrowind you could hopefully just power through it by stacking inferior stats growth on top of another, but in the end that you might still be fucked after hundreds of hours in :P

It was possible to fuck up your character in Skyrim also until Legendary patch comes along.

I also tried Higher level enemies, sometimes the modified enemies won't  work perfectly with other mods, but rarely a critical issue. Also they could become quite a damage sponge at very high level due to the way how heath is calculated in the game.

I just came across this which is a standalone from ERSO and it tweaks the enemy AI http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/73172/?

To put this into context I play as an assassin/conjuror with light armour (no perks) and one handed, and I use Tougher Bandits (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56555/?)  to strengthen the bad guys a bit. I should not be able to go toe to toe like a warrior but be a glass cannon.

Using a level 10 pc I spawned three bandits (0003DE87) which have one handed and shield. Without the mod they were dogmeat pretty quickly as while you spam LMB they just stand there blocking so go down in a few strokes. With the mod applied it was quite different they seem to attack much more frequently and as I'd spawned them close to me I had to conjure an antronach else I might have gone down. It's not a huge difference but it is noticable.

Definitely worth a try and better still it doesn't have any scripts, so no problem removing it providing you keep it at the end of your load order so it doesn't move anything else around.

TDF Equipment Restriction can help. You can set the levels to restrict weapons and armor in the MCM. After that, equip stuff that is just beyond the restriction limit, and, you won't be able to make good use of armor, and outgoing damage will be reduced, and you can be disarmed pretty easily. I can't remember if it's script-heavy, but I enjoy using it to my advantage... err... disadvantage...

Don't start the dragon rising quest to avoid dragons.

As for role playing in games, if you really want, you can role play nearly any and every game out there however silly it is, the definition of rpg or role playing game now a days lean towards the stats and character development aspect more than actually playing a character likely due to it being more tangible. But even that is shaky since even shooters, character action, driving, farming, etc. games out there all could very well have stats.

Can anyone pinpoint when "role playing" or "RPG aspects" came to mean "stat sheets"? Maybe it's me who misunderstood the genre from the start and it's all from D&D, and pre-dates cRPG's, but removing skills didn't make FO4 less of a role-playing experience for me, shoe-horning me into a specific past did that. Just adding a bunch of stats to an action game doesn't make it more role-player friendly to me, the ability to assume a role does. I feel the best attempt at actual roleplaying in the past few years were Dragon age: Origins. Sure, the roles were pre-determined by the starts, but there were atleast roles.

"Stat sheets" is about the G in RPG and not RP.  Hard to have a game without some kind of tabulation.  You can but it would be hard to define it as a game.  Myst is probably the most famous example of a game that is not a "game".  Many people do not even classify Myst and its similar as "games" but rather predecessor to VR "experience".

Even in sandbox/dollhouse games you still need some kind of stats to move things along otherwise it's just a glorified tech/engine demo.

As for role playing in games, if you really want, you can role play nearly any and every game out there however silly it is, the definition of rpg or role playing game now a days lean towards the stats and character development aspect more than actually playing a character likely due to it being more tangible. But even that is shaky since even shooters, character action, driving, farming, etc. games out there all could very well have stats.

Can anyone pinpoint when "role playing" or "RPG aspects" came to mean "stat sheets"? Maybe it's me who misunderstood the genre from the start and it's all from D&D, and pre-dates cRPG's, but removing skills didn't make FO4 less of a role-playing experience for me, shoe-horning me into a specific past did that. Just adding a bunch of stats to an action game doesn't make it more role-player friendly to me, the ability to assume a role does. I feel the best attempt at actual roleplaying in the past few years were Dragon age: Origins. Sure, the roles were pre-determined by the starts, but there were atleast roles.

"Stat sheets" is about the G in RPG and not RP. Hard to have a game without some kind of tabulation. You can but it would be hard to define it as a game. Myst is probably the most famous example of a game that is not a "game". Many people do not even classify Myst and its similar as "games" but rather predecessor to VR "experience".

Even in sandbox/dollhouse games you still need some kind of stats to move things along otherwise it's just a glorified tech/engine demo.

that's true, but some people take the focus on stats to an extreme. The best example is in MO's, where stats are the absolute focus for EOG content. Which is why I never raided in WOW. way too many assholes ready to pick apart your build to fit their opinion .

"Stat sheets" is about the G in RPG and not RP. Hard to have a game without some kind of tabulation. You can but it would be hard to define it as a game. Myst is probably the most famous example of a game that is not a "game". Many people do not even classify Myst and its similar as "games" but rather predecessor to VR "experience".

that's true, but some people take the focus on stats to an extreme. The best example is in MO's, where stats are the absolute focus for EOG content. Which is why I never raided in WOW. way too many assholes ready to pick apart your build to fit their opinion .

Pugs were the best way to go. Roll in, trash ICC, leave with cool shit.

I just came across this which is a standalone from ERSO and it tweaks the enemy AI http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/73172/?

To put this into context I play as an assassin/conjuror with light armour (no perks) and one handed, and I use Tougher Bandits (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56555/?)  to strengthen the bad guys a bit. I should not be able to go toe to toe like a warrior but be a glass cannon.

Using a level 10 pc I spawned three bandits (0003DE87) which have one handed and shield. Without the mod they were dogmeat pretty quickly as while you spam LMB they just stand there blocking so go down in a few strokes. With the mod applied it was quite different they seem to attack much more frequently and as I'd spawned them close to me I had to conjure an antronach else I might have gone down. It's not a huge difference but it is noticable.

Definitely worth a try and better still it doesn't have any scripts, so no problem removing it providing you keep it at the end of your load order so it doesn't move anything else around.

I use this also. I always play as an archer, and find the changes to enemy AI forces me to run away most of the time. I also use a mod called realistic detection ( i think) which makes it almost impossible to stay hidden in a lighted area. Along with mods that  greatly increase the amount of enemies, attacking a bandit camp in daylight without being mounted is suicide.

The enemy melee troops close quickly in mass while their archers and mages can weaken or kill even mid level PCs very quickly from a distance. On foot, I am usually forced to flee after one or two shots, even using a mod that increases agro distances, they close very quickly.

ERSO's mod isn't the only one that changes enemy AI, but I've found it to be the best bang for the buck. It almost makes mods that increase enemy strength unnecessary, almost.

I also play as a weak character, and with Skyrim Unbound set to random, no weapons, spells or money, and only rags for equipment. I don't even know if I will be dragonborn until the first dragon is killed. They appear rather quickly at first, but all my PC can do is run, so it takes a while to find out.

I use a mod that makes all starting skills 1. which takes smithing completely out of the equation until much later on. So improving weapons and armor is impossible at the start.

Needs mods force my PC to quickly get to a city to find work. Which is usually serving tables at an inn, and we can all guess where that leads, (Radiant Prostitution) and wood-chopper. Radiant is set very low, so leveling up does not increase prices by very much. For instance, my current PC has had over 100 clients and is only taking in around 45 septims after the inn keeper takes their cut.

Trade and Barter makes it very pricey to buy weapons and armor, and almost not worth the bother to sell them.

Finding enough coin to train is difficult.

Kuertee has a mod that reduces gold in the world, and one that dramatically increases the weight of coins to a realistic amount.

I don't try to keep my PC from moving up levels, but I do force her to hunt for game to increase her skill with the bow, pick flowers and the like to learn alchemy, sneaking, advancing in skills that help her survive until she is capable enough to stop needing to build stamina, important when running away from danger, and concentrate on health. I generally do not try to improve magic, but do, without improving skills, to keep health at a lower level.

Granted that I would need an end game solution to becoming too powerful, but usually I finish the script in my head for any particular PC before then.

Yes I also use Trade & Barter and Taxes of the Nine Holds is quite a good gold sink as well, so the pc has to keep busy. The hard part I find is to keep the combat challenging without being stupidly difficult, the purpose is to have a fight where it can go either way. One of the problems is the wide disparity between NPC's and Bosses, it's not to hard to balance the NPC's but it then makes Bosses too hard sometimes.

I thought about setting skills to 1 but doesn't that mean the pc will level up very quickly?

Yes I also use Trade & Barter and Taxes of the Nine Holds is quite a good gold sink as well, so the pc has to keep busy. The hard part I find is to keep the combat challenging without being stupidly difficult, the purpose is to have a fight where it can go either way. One of the problems is the wide disparity between NPC's and Bosses, it's not to hard to balance the NPC's but it then makes Bosses too hard sometimes.

I thought about setting skills to 1 but doesn't that mean the pc will level up very quickly?

You do level as fast as you normally would. But, I find that without the ability to defend myself, I spend most of my experience on things like speech, alchemy, and if very lucky, enchanting. Even sneaking takes time to get to levels where it becomes effective. It generally takes me about ten hours to get to level ten. Hunting on foot at level one is not efficient and most game gets away. However archery does improve even when I miss, so in that regard I am at a loss. I try to leave most of the tree undone, but eventually comes a time I really don't want to be sent to auction, so I give in. But archery is the only combat skill I use, so I like it to become effective.

Instead of making them more difficult, I use two or three mods that add bad guys so I rarely can fight them. A lone bandit or two, I might take on if I was able to purchase a horse. On foot I just run away. Even at level thirty five, my PC is too weak to survive melee, as no melee skills are above 8.

The day to day life of a homeless girl, from whatever back story I give her, trying to survive in a harsh, dangerous environment like Skyrim, takes a great deal of the day. And Inns and Taverns make staying in an inn at night, a pretty costly, but necessary, fact of life. Not sure what the name of the mod I use is, but it makes nights way too dangerous to be out and about, as the mod makes vampires all but unbeatable.

I guess what I am trying to say in my overly long winded style is;  Shy away from the bad people and....Run away!!!

I have played this way since the original SD made losing a fight so tedious. Where I used to wade right in, die, come back and try again until I figured it out, now I might take a real time hour to clear some place, one shot at a time.

For me the real issue is the stupidity of the bad guys, even though I use mods to keep them actively looking for "who did this," They inevitably decide they were mistaken before removing the arrow stuck in their knee.

I'm playing my first serious attempt at the Weak Girl scenario right now.

RP Elements
I'm playing a recovering "former" skooma whore.  She lives in Riften but is homeless, and broke most of the time.
She still falls off the wagon occasionally, on both the skooma and the whoring when she's desperate for money.
She has no friends (no companions)
She has no crafting skills
She keeps getting assaulted by local women who steal her clothes (GetStripped in endless mode).  It's one of the things that drove her to skooma to start with.
She is an active member of the Thieves Guild and steals most of the items she possesses.
She will often sleep with people to get what she wants (Sexlab Solutions)

Due to the effects of the skooma her magicka doesn't replenish, so the only time she has any magicka is from potions or level up.
Her health doesn't replenish on it's own without sleep, and her stamina recovers slowly.
No shouts.
Additionally, she is weakened and so can't wear any armor, only cloth, and creatures/bandits keep tearing it off.  She doesn't know how to use any weapons except a bow.
Due to her weakness she can't carry any item over a weight of 5, except her bow.

Difficulty Settings and Mods
Legendary difficulty
New Beginnings -- Live Another Life Extension: Beggar start
Frostfall
No fast travel allowed, but I do let her use wagons between cities
Realistic Needs and Diseases
Bathing in Skyrim
Private Needs
Simple Taxes: I added a fake follower tax, so she gets taxed 300gp a day for no reason.
Loot and Degradation: Tweaked by me to make armor/clothes break at a rate about 30x the former max setting.  About a 25-50% chance on every hit.  No weapon breakage.  I had to cut her some slack somewhere.  It was a rough day when she slept with about 10 guys to buy a bow and then it broke during her first battle.
Skooma Whore (obviously)
Death Alternative - Your money or your life:  Another way to keep her broke most of the time.
Naked Dungeons: Only set at 10% chance - Just another way to make her life harder, though she can't really dungeon-dive yet anyway.  It has the effect of getting her whipped every time the Get Stripped girls catch her in front of a guard, but the animations mix and kind of ruin it.
Added my own mod that triples the aggro radius of wolves.  I didn't like walking right by them without an attack.

The lack of health and magicka regen is a glitch caused by me when I switched from "Eat, Drink, Sleep, Bathe" to "Realistic Needs and Diseases" during this play-through without turning the mod off first.  I decided to RP it.
The bow-only, no armor and item weight restrictions are role-play enforced, but I might try to make a personal mod to enforce it so I don't have to think about the weight limit all the time.

Use SkyTweak. you can make your character pretty weak.

Use the mod "I am your shield". You can have a follower be a tank with taunting abilities. Makes it feel like they're really trying to protect you. I think a real challenge would be to play this way solo and just sneak past everything. Never using anything but a dagger. You can defend yourself by making potions and poisons and traps. 

The problem here is that actual helpless and defenseless people in a fantasy setting just make a life for themselves in one spot/town/city. They don't go out adventuring. Doing that would be kind of boring in Skyrim. Maybe if the cities were the actual size of cities and there were quests that involved doing chores/tasks/jobs with a story surrounding it. Imagine 10 hour questline that involved you being a regular maid at the Blue Palace and you had to socialize with the people in the area and there was some sort of drama/story unfolding in the process and you just had to select dialog options to determine the outcome. A truly helpless person would probably use their words/charm and poisons and such to get what they want. Or turn people against each other.

So with that said, you could have an illusion character, but thats still kind of powerful. Maybe a character that relies on trap or something. Realistically, a helpless person who wanted to go adventuring would have a bodyguard or two and learn self defense in the process.

Has anyone dabbled with vampirism and strong penalties at the starving level to add a difficulty rating?  I like using the reverse progressions of Better Vampires, where fully fed you are strongest and most resistant to the sun (makes more logical sense to me).

At level 4 you should be weaker than a normal man or mer, but I think you'd need some option to feed from animals or some other source, or have a number of overly weak random NPCs to kill and feed on to avoid total starvation.

As you survive enough days or manage to feed enough, your power should grow and at starving levels no longer be quite as weak, but if you keep the sun and daytime penalties, still need to plan your active times and make the most of when you are up and out.

I agree with how you play your PC.  I like a slower leveling process, and more challenging environment.  

I would start by moving the difficulty of the vanilla game up to expert at least - i use legendary

[CONSOLE] player.forceav carryweight 110 Use the console (~) to permanently set a new Carry Weight for your character. (NOTE: Vanilla CarryWeight is 300... plus 5 each time you upgrade Stamina)

Adjusting starting skills:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/3142/

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/82403/

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/56342/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/68690/?

Slower Skill leveling

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24422/?

Katiavs Skill lock Cap

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/14514/?

Perkus Maximus - kinda changes vanilla leveling quite a bit.  but it is customizable but might need patches for other mods to work

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59849/?

Skyrim uncapper - you can set your own caps and speed of advancement on skills so you wont have to change anything ingame

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1175/?

then you can use several different modes as mentioned by others, depending on your slant.  Are you looking for survival?  or slavery?  they really require different mode setup, and with all the scripts, you really would have to pick one or the other.  Either way I would reccommend for the slavery part:

Devious Attributes -  adds buffs/debuffs to your PC.  Slows leveling.  the author has a new mod out, but I havent played around with it yet.

Devious Framework - add buffs/debuffs, mod resource and some slavery options in beta

Sexual Framework -- mods use this to track your PC as a resource for other mods, some active scripts 

Devious Fashion -- great immersion for the female PC, whether your into DD or not.  new addiction is scripty, but MCM is very customizable.

Devious Training -  if DD is your thing, adds buffs/debuffs.  kinda scripted. 

Sexist Guards - lots of comments, no performance hit that I can tell.

Defeat -- you can modify the settings so that your PC goes down on the first hit

Enslavement -- after defeat, your PC can be enslaved

SD+ -- completes Enslavement -

SL dialogues-- allows you to beg

Cursed Loot is simply a must have - it provides all sorts of functions within this mod to make life rough for the PC

CCAS - expansion of LAL and can use to start the PC with a dagger and clothing or worse! 

Slorm recommended "another challenge" mod, I am going to try it out soon! but looks good - some compatibility problems but some functions work

Prison Overhaul -- getting caught is very bad now

Skooma Whore and addicted addon - drug addiction - various mods will force drugs on the PC

Immersive Creatures for more numerous and difficult spawns in the wilds

Captured Dreams player slavery is probably the toughest start to get out of as a PC.  It is very creative and fun mod all around

Maria Eden Prostitution player slavery is available at the start, and the PC can opt in for many different play styles.  It is a very versatile but script heavy mod.   Your follower might just walk away from the battle (and you) if it is too tough... but this mod has depth and versatility. 

If you are looking for the hunter/survival:

Campfire

Frostfall

Hunterborn

Realistic Needs and Diseases or

iNeed

Drink from Streams/wells - i forgot the name of the mod, but in RND description there are references

Bathing in Skyrim

Wet and Cold

Wilding -- this exludes the PC from cities though.. its a tough start.

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/1565-wildlings-an-alternative-skyrim-experience/

I would also look at crafting overhauls for all categories.  as this might make your PC actually have to make things that the PC cannot buy and make resoureces more important

Loan Shark mod incase you need a loan, better repay.  I would recommend Prison Overhaul to go with this, and just in general.. 

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2385-loansharks-of-skyrim/

Eager NPC' and Sexlab Solutions (has just been updated) --so that you can sleep with merchants/trainers instead of paying them,

and would fit as well. so you have alternative to buying/training/quests 

• 3 weeks later...

I would probably try playing a restoration mage (yes, the most useless school. Hear me out) while running Perkus Maximus. PerMa overhauls the perks system as well as the magic--adding hundreds of spells. Some restoration spells added are capable of doing small amounts of damage, and you would basically be the "support" for your followers by staying back and healing them. Could also delve into alteration/illusion a bit to buff your followers' stats. I would then not ever wear armor--clothes all the way, so that you're easy to kill if the enemy gets to you. I would spend the rest of my points into "merchant" trees, such as smithing and enchanting. PerMa offers some really cool speech perks as well, such as being recognized as an enemy's faction by wearing their armor, among other things. 

Another idea would be to constantly have a dom follower--Deviously Cursed Loot has a couple of them. You would basically always be bound, have to ask your owner for permission to eat/sleep, but your owner would still be a follower so he/she would adventure with you and protect you.

If you're looking for a hardcore mod, I would suggest YASH (Yet Another Skyrim Hardcore mod) as it sets all your skills to 0 from the start and makes enemies much smarter and more difficult to handle. 

Running Deviously Cursed Loot would allow you to set it so that you get tied up a LOT--therefore the very definition of helpless!

I would probably try playing a restoration mage (yes, the most useless school. Hear me out) while running Perkus Maximus.

Your words hurt Colette's feelings, you insensitive clod!

True for the vanilla game or PerMa. Not true for Requiem. Get to Rest. 75 - and no undead can stand against you for more than 5 seconds - dragon priests, master vampires in ebony armour... Pfft. Get to mastery (and pass the Ritual test) - and you'll discover the true power of it. Have basically infinite mana for 150 seconds as long as you're at full health (combined with Destruction mastery this gives you a truly terrifying power, Godform + Arcane Volley = antimatter cannon with unlimited charges), turn hordes of undead up to level 70+ in one sweep, and instantly heal yourself and companions by 100s of HP.

Just couldn't resist posting this, this kinda hurts feelings of my current character as well :)

Your words hurt Colette's feelings, you insensitive clod!

True for the vanilla game or PerMa. Not true for Requiem. Get to Rest. 75 - and no undead can stand against you for more than 5 seconds - dragon priests, master vampires in ebony armour... Pfft. Get to mastery (and pass the Ritual test) - and you'll discover the true power of it. Have basically infinite mana for 150 seconds as long as you're at full health (combined with Destruction mastery this gives you a truly terrifying power, Godform + Arcane Volley = antimatter cannon with unlimited charges), turn hordes of undead up to level 70+ in one sweep, and instantly heal yourself and companions by 100s of HP.

Just couldn't resist posting this, this kinda hurts feelings of my current character as well :)

Lol, I should have said worst VANILLA school :P I haven't gotten into playing a restoration mage in PerMa yet but the spells look promising :)

Lol, I should have said worst VANILLA school :P I haven't gotten into playing a restoration mage in PerMa yet but the spells look promising :)

Just a note - I've been talking about Requiem, not Perkus. I've only played a mage character in PerMa once, and now I don't even have PerMa installed in any MO profile, so I can't be sure what Restoration spells PerMa adds.

BTW, in vanilla game Alteration is just as useless as Restoration, IMO.

UPD: I was wrong - Godform spell is from Apocalypse spells, actually - so you can use it even in vanilla game.

• 1 month later...

I am trying the "Disparity" mod, and if I just knew how to tweak it, so the gender differences are bigger than default, it would be a great solution. It also kinda solves the problem of other females in Skyrim being a bit too strong in my opinion.

For anyone, who tries to RP, I recommend "Take Notes - Journal of Dragonborn". You can create the internal monologue, and write it at every important RP decision, and keep track of it, so your behaviour as your character is consistent. It honestly helps more than several mechanical mods at once at bringing particular type of roleplay feel.

I'm using Disparity, but had to write my own Patch since I use the old Player Character Exclusive Animations as well as some other mods that modify the Races Entries.

The sexist disparity makes women weaker by 10-20% combat wise with melee.

From there using Skytweak I gave NPC's a higher amount of Hit Points and then raised the percentage of their level for the zones also in Skytweak.

Something else that is not generally known is that the height of characters has a direct impact on the percentage of the damage they can cause, so mostly in the game a races sexes are both same height, some mods changes that and others reinforce that.

• 2 years later...

Seems that though this thread is dead, it's the place to collect and perhaps continue some ramblings I started on the PoP forum:

I originally posted the following here: https://www.loverslab.com/topic/46551-prison-overhaul-patched/?do=findComment&comment=2493412

Just to clarify, this is just a talking point. I'm not making this mod, and I'm not asking anyone else to, nor am I asking for any existing mod to change.

I think this idea needs refinement, and if people can add to it, improve it, or think of easier ways to get the same results, I hope they'll post.

Been using Radiant Prostitution and ME a bit recently. Made me think that menial jobs need more reason for you to do them.

PoP is a great motivator!

I'm thinking now about how that could be done... a menial jobs mod for weak PCs.

Menial jobs that will make you wish you were working in a nice warm inn as a wench...

How could it work, and integrate with RP etc?

What makes those jobs worthwhile?

First, the PC needs some stakes, something to lose.

Already exists: PC starts with 1 in all skills except speech at 15. Skills only raise through buying training. Training uncapped. New trainers added around world.

Already exists: a mod that forces PC to sleep properly.

Already exists: a mod that punishes PC for being outside at night.

Already exists: a mod that makes the PC buy and pay for food.

Already exists: naked PCs get large fines (or arrested).

Already exists: PoP - set PoP to be punitive, including PoP eats lots of your money and prison can remove skills and levels.

Already exists: really expensive carriage rides.

Add to this: food and room costs must be raised. Room rental more expensive, as per Devious Followers. e.g. at least 50, more likely 100.

Add to this: you can't just wait around in inns, guilds or temples at night.

Add to this: you need to launder clothes, or buy new ones periodically, or they become beggar rags.

Add to this: SD+ enslavement results in PoP style skill/level rot.

Guilds should simply expel non-members at night, temples demand donations, or you have to leave, inns demand you rent a room or leave.Lock off "easy mode" Companions guild until a weapon skill over 30.

Lock off Thieves Guild until stealth+pickpocket+locks skills over 25

Itinerant, homeless PCs go straight to PoP unless they are beggars.

When released from PoP, your clothes are replaced with beggar rags.

Beggar - if you have beggar clothes guards will let you sleep rough - a chance of a new disease when you sleep rough - add parasites for more fun. Income from begging should be barely enough to buy survival level food. Needs dialog items for begging (these exist in various mods already, but mostly useless). Beggars should have blocking dialog, so all they can do is beg (based on outfit).

Woodchopper - cannot sleep rough, must pay for rooms. Income is poor. Main issue with this task is it is very boring.

Hunter - all you can kill is rabbits and foxes with low archery - probably die from wolves - sleeping in wilderness leads to parasites, also rapes and being kidnapped and enslaved

Flowergirl - really, selling flowers, it's a thing apparently (see My Fair Lady) - cannot sleep rough, requires dialogs for selling, boring, probably worse income than woodchopper.

Alchemist - must pay for access to alchemy tables or this is too easy. Cannot sleep rough. Start with 1 alchemy and cannot increase through experience, so maybe potion making should fail often. See also failure mode analysis. Could also be an "employee" type job where you work in alchemy shop. See smiths below.

Smith - ingredients and forge access shouldn't be/aren't free, so this should only be viable as an employee - make a little dialog game like the wench game where you have to make the right combinations of items or get in trouble. Cannot sleep rough.

Produce vendor - this might be most interesting. You have to buy from farmers low and sell high in town. Speculate on what produce will get the best return on any given day, worry about spoilage. Cannot sleep rough. Valued crops in iNeed stops simple looting of crops.

With most "employee" jobs, or as a vendor, if you sleep rough you should suffer a penalty to your earnings as your work is not as good, and you look bad.

Begging needs to be more punitive. It should be the "floor" that you hit when you fail everything else. PC should really want to avoid ending up there.

Beggar should not be able to get any job but woodcutter or indentured prostitute.

Indentured prostitute gets zero cash from the work, inn takes it all. Can sleep in the inn, and get food for free. Indenture lasts minimum N (default 3?) days, and minimum X (default 20?) customers. Numbers vary with circumstance. After that you are "free". If you run off during indenture, you go straight to PoP.

With no skills to speak of, waiting tables is now a comfortable, low risk job, and prostitution is "big money".

Adding some random "big tippers" to both jobs would add an extra attraction, so the risk isn't all in one direction (currently it's easy to get punished with fines).

Adding occasional chances to raise Speech or Pickpocket would add another attraction.

Could add a bonus to pickpocket against NPCs recently serviced, whether simply food/drink, or sex.

Instant PoP punishment for pickpocketing makes this nice and risky. Starts to feel like a game.

Add extra risks to prostitution as per ME, so there might be kidnap attempts. Kidnap avoidance/escape should be a mini-game of some kind.

Kidnap either results as you in an inn in a different town as indentured prostitute (with high freedom targets), or in SD+.

A low skill character in SD+ has to hope they can please their master, otherwise they'll just get sold on, so that's not a nice outcome. Plus skill/level rot like PoP. Nasty!

But what happens when you dig your way out of the cash pit, and buy into a guild, or otherwise gain a skill that allows a little adventuring? Or even buy a home of your own?

Are you now done with all this stuff?

Add: house confiscation on imprisonment

Add: lose thane rights on imprisonment (also add a way to get them back?)

Exists: PoP should eat any excess money easily (this is just configuration)

Add: PoP confiscates gear permanently (see above) leave PoP in only beggar rags.

Exists+Add: PoP adds extreme debuffs that only fade with time, preventing combat, alchemy or enchanting until recovered (see Wounds mod, etc)

Add some ways to get arrested, see SL Adventures.

Now, you might end up back in the inn, quite easily. Not even considering disasters caused by DCL etc.

Well, it's an idea. I'd like to do it, but probably will never have time.

A lot of this is already present in one mod or another, but a few things need tweaking or adding to really make it work.

If a few existing mods, such as SL Adventures and PoP added a few little tweaks, we'd be quite close to having this.

e.g.

SL Adventures could have a "always send to PoP" setting for crimes, so you don't have to set absurd bounties - though maybe absurd bounties are mostly OK.

SL Adventures could class wearing armor as a crime (for females only, of course).

SL Adventures could have a "beggars exempt" flag for characters in beggar outfits.

SL Adventures could add "sleeping" and "lollygagging" as specific crimes (lollygagging => waiting, in this case).

SL Adventures could specifically handle woodcutter axe as allowed, if any weapon in inventory is a crime.

PoP could have a few extra options for leaving imprisonment:

Confiscate home in same hold.

Confiscate homes in all holds.

Remove thane rank in same hold

Remove thane rank in all holds

Confiscate all non-quest items (this might already exist, but if it does, I can't find it)

SD+ could add skill and level decay during slavery, could also use for Bimbo in Hormones.

All of the above are things that would be handy to have in those mods in any case. So not crazy requests.

There are already mods that lock off guild quests until skill requirements met, though they are ... highly conflicting ... with other mods.

Various needs mods can increase food prices.

Inn price can trivially be set as a global.

This just leaves improved begging mechanics, flowergirl dialogs, alchemist and smith jobs, and produce vendor dialogs and farmer interactions.

Plus, indentured prostitution mechanics, and any extras, like pickpocketing and speech raises, pickpocketing customers bonus, and so on.

Basically, nearly all of it is dialogs, a couple of random events, and so on. A cheap first pass could get most of this without anything clever being required.