Very inspiring thread :).

I am always making pauses of a few months with Skyrim now and then coming back. Downside of this is i am not too up to date anymore regarding mods that didn't age too well and good replacements for them. So i hope you don't mind if i ask here, since i also always love trying to make Skyrim a "helpless heroine's hell".

I read that both defeat and submit are now too old and unstable, so they are better not used anymore. Is there a good replacement mod? I especially liked the multiperson/-creature rapes from defeat.

Also not sure if it is a bug or intended this way, but i have the problem that PoP very often arrests me on the first crime, disallowing me to pay the fee instead. This is annoying if you just get reported by DCL or fail a stealing attempt. I'd prefer only get in trouble if i can't pay the fees. So that PoP is the final nightmare you get into if everything else fails and prefereably with a bounty of 5000+ and not because you once got reported by DCL or similiar.

Also is there a good "Wear&Tear" mod? Wear&Tear in Fallout NV was fantastic, the Skyrim Wear&Tear-like mods i tried so far just didn't feel good enough in comparison.

8 minutes ago, xboronx said:

I read that both defeat and submit are now too old and unstable, so they are better not used anymore. Is there a good replacement mod? I especially liked the multiperson/-creature rapes from defeat.

Submit is. It's pretty much dead. Defeat isn't, it's still working as well as it ever did. DA+Defeat is still pretty much a requirement for SD+, and if you don't have them, you can't get enslaved directly into SD+ unless you explicitly surrender. SS is an option with only Defeat or DCL combat defeat in the mix, but you need DA+Defeat for direct post-rape enslavement into SD+.

DF can only be reached via DF itself, or SS.

I don't have the problem you describe with PoP. Is it simply you set the bounties high? If you get up to a major crime bounty, you'll be arrested.

I typically allow three "hmmm" crimes before it becomes major and am force arrested, just based on the bounties I set in SL Adventures, etc.

Apropos2 is an OK W&T mod. W&T is not its core focus, but it takes it quite seriously. vlkSexLife also does W&T and replaces SexLab Aroused. vlkSexLife is not much used, but I found it works pretty well, is reliable and light-weight ... if you want its different arousal model. The SLA model is super-dumb. Ed86 has a mod with a different arousal model, but it's not aimed at regular characters.

When I release V13 of SLD, you'll be able to use it to turn Apropos2 into a monster.

4 hours ago, worik said:

Buy the right potion, drink it, done.  ? Where is the problem?

Extremely limited availability of potions? Potions not really expensive enough at high levels, too expensive at low levels?

I know it's not the end of the world, I just want to be able to tune it more easily.

41 minutes ago, xboronx said:

Also is there a good "Wear&Tear" mod? Wear&Tear in Fallout NV was fantastic, the Skyrim Wear&Tear-like mods i tried so far just didn't feel good enough in comparison.

Maybe you give Apropos2 a look. It has an embedded W&T feature and is highly customizable to almost every taste.

Edit:

Too slow :classic_blush: Lupine00 was way faster :classic_smile:

27 minutes ago, Lupine00 said:

Extremely limited availability of potions? Potions not really expensive enough at high levels, too expensive at low levels?

Ah :classic_smile:

That's what I have the toxicity mod for. Makes potions less convenient ?

The problem I had with SD+ was how you were often sold to a boring NPC that moved in 10m radius and just gave you something to do from time to time. It was fun to go through it for the first time, discover how it works, but when you got enslaved again, it kind of started to be more annoying than fun. Wolfclub was very similar in that regard although in a different way. It just didn't feel the same.

I never tried the latest version of SD+ though, did it gen any better since v3.6?

Yes i felt the same with SD+ and I don't like DA in any case, unless it's improved of late it was pretty bug ridden when I last used it.

Personally I found the combat surrender option of DCL better than Defeat as it seemed to be more reliable, however you do need to doctor the FormID lists to add in all the races and creatures to get the best out of it. I'm still using DVL v6.1 so it may have changed in later versions though.

We could really do with a new combat mod though, not as overly complex like Defeat but with a bit more scope than DCL combat surrender.

9 hours ago, Lupine00 said:

That isn't really anything to do with the "lives" system at all. The lives system is a mechanism for punishing you for letting your follower get into bleedout. As a friendly follower can be (or is usually) set up in Defeat, or DCL, or even DA, so that you're only defeated once the follower and the PC are "down" (in bleedout), this ties neatly into situations where the follower was hurt, but you didn't go down.

Spoiler

There's a built in assumption that you're not a backstabbing murderer, who would kill a follower simply to escape debt. It's like the assumption that you'll accept enslavement to save some dumb NPC you don't even know in Slaverun - it's just how it is, a lazy bit of narrative with a cheap motivational device, and an outcome that runs on rails. If you don't want that outcome, you don't install the mod, so I understand that could lead to rejecting DF.

If you are both defeated, then you can escape from DF. Sometimes. If the outcome is Simple Slavery, you lose your existing follower, and your existing debt, and get sold, and may end up in SD+, or back in DF, or in whatever peril you enabled for SS.

But circling back, I would describe what you're talking about above, in DF, as "master is set essential".

That's pretty much core to the design, so you can't just rack up debt, then knife her in the back and laugh all the way back to Breezehome.

I suppose you could convince yourself that leading an SD+ master to his death is "out-thinking" him, but as he cannot think at all, and either moves randomly, or follows you blindly, it's not at all challenging to drag an SD+ master into a fatal combat - at least once you can get him outside and moving. However, in SD+ killing a master to escape is fundamental to the design, and it's had that approach since before there was a 'plus' on it. The flip side of this is that SD+ slavery is not particularly interesting in the vast majority of cases, and being able to rid yourself of it is a relief. It gets hilarious when you have a master who is so tough that he simply kills anything you drag him into combat with. When that happens, you have got a serious problem. If it's a creature, you cannot even serve your time, they keep you forever. I had this with a frost troll in a low level game. Due to how the troll was levelled, it could kill anything but a dragon. Eventually, it was killed by a dragon that breathed fire, but it killed two frost dragons before the fire-breather got him.

I'd like it if the victor of combat with your SD+ master attempted to enslave you in a fairly aggressive, hunting, tracking, chasing sort of way. But it doesn't have that. However, I was erroneously enslaved by the dragon that killed the troll, while using the beta, supposed to be impossible. Faction problems resulted, and I was killed by Stormcloak soldiers shortly after. Interference from Defeat may have been to blame.

If you come to DF expecting it to work like SD+, you're going to be disappointed. The odds of actually getting enslaved in DF are pretty slim. It's most likely you'll end up that way through Simple Slavery, not through DF itself. DF is about deals, and if you refuse to take them, then you get enslaved. If you take the deals, you won't get enslaved in the first place. The goal is to make you take the deals.

I get that it just seems wrong to some people. It can feel odd that you just do as the follower demands, when they have no obvious means to coerce you, or that they can just enslave you without you fighting back. There needed to be a bit more story and setup to resolve that, I think.

In DF the "game" is to escape from debt, within the restrictions applied - not so much slavery, but debt. I've played that game in some quite extreme poverty/scarcity conditions, and still found it interesting. While you're enslaved, you don't add debt, so earning your way out is generally always feasible. Slavery works as a sort of safety net for when you totally suck at debt management. (I don't mean that in a negative way, obviously, different games are set up with different financial conditions).

Deals also expire eventually, in a normal configuration, so if you don't keep taking them, eventually you will be able to get rid of them very cheaply. It's just a matter of surviving them. I like it as something you can mix in with SD+. Mixing it with Slaverun would be very interesting.

It re-opens that "joined up mods" can of worms I mentioned earlier though. If only the slavery mods had a coherent measure of submissiveness and willpower they shared. But they don't. SD+ has slavery levels. DF has willpower and resistance. DCL has ... nothing. Devious Cidhna has ... nothing. CD has a whole bunch of stats, but they rarely come into play. There's a willpower framework mod, but I don't think anything really uses it. It's all broken into silos; very disappointing.

You're correct.  I should have said essential followers instead of the lives system.  Also, I may try DF again in a later fresh start as I now understand better how the mod works.   Which will probably be sooner rather than later anyway as I can't resist trying out new and interesting mods :P 

But I guess what I want is more options.  Killing a master is one option, but I would love it if there are other gameplay options.  Such as being able to steal your master's key to your chains and escaping.  Or lulling him into believing that you are a loyal slave before finding a weakness and exploiting it to escape (or kill him).   Then there may be a bounty placed on you where the corrupt system works to recapture you as an escaped slave.  Yes, you could say that leading your master into an unwinnable fight is exploiting bad NPC AI, but that is where some RP has to come in because we don't have the systems in place to handle it. 

On the idea of cohesive measures of submissiveness and willpower, a universal system would be nice.  But I often think that such a system is not always the best idea.  It forces someone's idea of what a PC should be feeling at some level of willpower.  I would rather the system control the NPCs around you rather than the PC.  If an NPC sees you as submissive, it may command you to do more or crazier things.   It is up to you to decide whether to comply.  The result may in fact be similar as the NPC beats you until you obey.  But it should be the player's choice.  The player could also then be different levels of submissive to different NPCs.  For example, I may be submissive to my master or to guards, but i'm not necessarily going to dance for some random shopkeeper.

I still find DA, Defeat, SD+ to be core to my combat slavery mechanics.  I've tried to remove them a couple times but nothing feels as immersive to me as that combination and I have it set up relatively stable.   I will agree that SD+ can get a bit boring.  But the latest version has made it a little bit better.  Still not great but that is why I still want to be able to incorporate standard Skyrim play into slavery.  Because I know NPC masters may never reach a state where they can satisfy our slave's needs :P  

I've considered DCL's system but my issue has always been that it seems to concentrate more on putting Devious Devices on a PC rather than slavery.  The devices look sexy but then I just stand there in my rubber suit waiting to have them removed because they are debilitating for regular skyrim gameplay.  For me, restraints are a tool not really the end goal.  

9 minutes ago, sapho888 said:

I've considered DCL's system but my issue has always been that it seems to concentrate more on putting Devious Devices on a PC rather than slavery.  The devices look sexy but then I just stand there in my rubber suit waiting to have them removed because they are debilitating for regular skyrim gameplay.  For me, restraints are a tool not really the end goal. 

Since the XDFF system was introduced for DCL, there isn't really any slavery in it, except Sasha in dominant mode. The XDFF could be used as a foundation to build a master-slave game, but it hasn't been, instead it just applies some randomly selected rules for a random duration and then changes, or doesn't. It feels as mechanical as it sounds. There's not much dialog, and not even the feeling you were progressing or failing that there was before - though the old system was made out of pure grind - what's in there now is directionless pure grind. 

I hope it improves in the near term, as it's a nice code demo, but in no way a slavery outcome.

I feel that at the moment, DF is better at delivering a feel of slavery than SD+. You have a lot of freedom, but you also have some limitations to work within. With a little imagination it can work very well.

SD+ is in a better state than it has been for a long while, but it's still a bit oblivious about devices added by other mods, or other quests, and doesn't deliver much for you to do as a slave. DF allows you to play Skyrim. SD+ is allowing more of that now, but it hasn't found the right balance point yet. There's been a will to fix this for some time now, but I believe that bug-fixes and finishing the main quest are the current priority.

1 hour ago, Slorm said:

Yes i felt the same with SD+ and I don't like DA in any case, unless it's improved of late it was pretty bug ridden when I last used it.

Personally I found the combat surrender option of DCL better than Defeat as it seemed to be more reliable, however you do need to doctor the FormID lists to add in all the races and creatures to get the best out of it. I'm still using DVL v6.1 so it may have changed in later versions though.

We could really do with a new combat mod though, not as overly complex like Defeat but with a bit more scope than DCL combat surrender.

SD+ is slightly less dull than it used to be, but still a bunch of tasks you probably can't do at the start, and a lot of standing around waiting to be raped before you get any chance to drag the master about - and you might never get that and just be sold on because you couldn't do any of the impossible tasks.

DCL combat defeat got fixes and new bugs in 7.X. In 7.3 it's got a bunch of fixes for most of the new bugs, so it's probably really solid now. I haven't tried them because it still doesn't do SD+ enslavement from combat.

I'm using DA+Defeat now, but sort of hating it. DA is buggy. Quite. There are times it will really screw up your game. Turning off anything to do with ragdoll and configuring carefully with respect to Defeat helps a bit. Also cautious bleedout settings and essential player. Even so, sometimes it does something ... really weird.

DCL just needs more outcomes, and more tuning for the outcomes. Maybe a few things could be hacked into it by hijacking the SS interface. Kimy did say she would probably allow SD+ enslavement, months ago, but didn't do it. I guess she just forgot. There is SD+ enslavement elsewhere in DCL, so it seems a bit odd. I guess it's not that hard to hack in, so I could put it in myself.

14 minutes ago, sapho888 said:

I have the restraints switched off in DCL combat surrender (not sure if you still can in the latest version though). I agree with you on the restraints, personally I only have them in game at all because Deviously Helpless can give the pc a surprise as can the standard events in DCL (I have all the rest turned off).

I prefer Skyrim with a background sexual theme rather than Bondage with a Skyrim theme, but each to their own.

46 minutes ago, Slorm said:

I have the restraints switched off in DCL combat surrender (not sure if you still can in the latest version though). I agree with you on the restraints, personally I only have them in game at all because Deviously Helpless can give the pc a surprise as can the standard events in DCL (I have all the rest turned off).

I prefer Skyrim with a background sexual theme rather than Bondage with a Skyrim theme, but each to their own.

I agree with the Skyrim with a background sexual theme way of playing.  Mods have made great advances but at its core, Skyrim is still about adventuring and killing things.  If you try to abandon that, there isn't much gameplay left.   

I have been very interested in all the interesting changes coming in the next Zaz animation pack by t.ara.  Its development doesn't seem to have the robust system that DD has, but it has a lot of excitement and experimentation going on there.  Its like the Wild West and I hope they strike gold.

On 1/17/2019 at 9:53 PM, worik said:

It has it's limitations (circlets) but it works perfect. I use it 3-4 months in my main game, now.

Some minor UI conflicts with the widget position, but all solvable.

My last open issue is that I fail to get the UI widget out of my killcam screenshots. :classic_blink: Somehow I am too stupid to figure out how to switch it off.

I've just had a play around with it but it has one major bug with the tempering. For example I have a glass sword (superior) once it drops to fine I can't temper it back to superior (says I don't have the skill). If I console in a new sword then I can. I think another problem is that on first hit it drops from the current temper down one level so in effect you're always one tempering level below what you can actually craft.

Like you I couldn't figure out the widget toggle key. I assumed it was an ascii code but that doesn't seem to work

9 minutes ago, Slorm said:

I think another problem is that on first hit it drops from the current temper down one level so in effect you're always one tempering level below what you can actually craft.

Perhaps that can be configured in the ini... ?But I take that as another piece of salt and let it raise my difficulty that way :classic_shy:

1 hour ago, worik said:

Perhaps that can be configured in the ini... ?But I take that as another piece of salt and let it raise my difficulty that way :classic_shy:

Not sure anything in the ini will work, I suspect it needs a .1 added to all the temper levels in the source code though I am guessing here

10 hours ago, sapho888 said:

I have been very interested in all the interesting changes coming in the next Zaz animation pack by t.ara.  Its development doesn't seem to have the robust system that DD has, but it has a lot of excitement and experimentation going on there.  Its like the Wild West and I hope they strike gold.

I couldn't seem to find much information about this, beyond the usual posts of new restraint pics on the Zaz 8 forum.

If anyone has a link to these new Zaz 9 wonders, I'd like to see them.

Spoiler

I'm not involved in this, don't really follow it, and can't really find much information on it. But... it seems like the only person they have that can do scripting is Musje, who seems to have other things going, so I would expect it to be just Zaz 8 plus but more assets, and 8+ is already unwieldy, with a lot of assets nobody uses.

Zaz needs breaking up into tractable modules, not enlarging further.

For a start, the "replacement" animations it consumes are a resource that is not merely finite, they are tightly constrained.

Its use of other animations is also growing problematic; there is no way I'm going to FNIS XXL just because of Zaz.

I've already become selective about which FunnyBiz animations I install, so I can stay under the limit, but this was a non-issue prior to Zaz 8.

DD uses a lot of animations too, but I actually get some use out of them. In Zaz, most sit unused, just like all those assets it adds that are unused or barely used, and most that are used are used by just one mod.

I love the idea of those assets, but the approach to delivering them, all in one huge pack, is absurd, bordering on insane.

In most cases, the right way to manage those assets would be to distribute them as a "resource" and encourage mods to bundle in the handful they actually require.

As any given mod (Whiterun Brothel, and other T.ara showpieces that have no gameplay excepted) uses only a small number of them, it would be more efficient; and with overwrites you'd only be loading one copy of them into your game. (Whiterun Brothel Revamped did have gameplay, but has been pulled, and I'm sceptical it will return. That giant cell was a bad idea anyway. It was sluggish, even on my system, which normally runs Caffeine at 60FPS).

However, T.ara etc have become married to this idea of distributing a single monolithic framework that is supposed to be the be-all and end-all of bondage resources, and expecting everyone to install that behemoth alongside DD. It's not a workable plan for the future.

It seems to me to be just undermining and discouraging the uptake and use of those assets, instead of promoting them.

Plus, just adding furniture animation after furniture animation is pointless, when there are next to no animations for the dominants to use in combination with that furniture. Because of that limitation, none of those animations can add any gameplay, or even feel genuinely interactive or like a proper "scene".

There is no mod, and there never will be a mod, for which having twenty variants of the exact cage mesh with different textures, or five variants of the same tree, with slightly different restraints attached, will make sense. Each and every mod has highly selective needs. The vast palette of Zaz is also its weakness. There must be hundreds of assets in Zaz 8+ that aren't used by anything apart from the test cell; it's just not an efficient way to distribute those assets.

And the assets themselves seem designed without consideration of use. There is almost no way to fit some of them into a mod in a coherent way. Every time I wanted a simple, basic (furniture) restraint, I couldn't find it, only far more obscure things with much narrower use cases. It's not designed, it's just ... collected ... as if the whole point of it is to post screenshots and get applause, not really to enable modders.

For basic things, like chaining the PC to the wall, there is no straighforward shackles, only weird ones. The same with chaining to the ceiling. And the way it all works is horrendous. If you want to chain the PC up, then remove the restraints when they're not in use, there are a ton of steps. Add to which, the sheer amount of assets that have no helpful catalog or way to locate them bar looking in the test-cell and trial and error in the CK ... it's overwhelming, and a time sink. The focus is all on the content, not on making any of it actually usable. Chances are you end up using the exact same shackles that SS used, years ago now, and which are in Zaz 7 anyway.

Bondage Furniture World tries to do something with it all, but it's whipping or nothing. I like that BFW tries to get some use out of those assets, but in the end its use case is so narrow. It does almost nothing for my game apart from decorate towns.

Going back years, ME tried to make use of the various SexLab furniture scenes, and there's still scope to do some things with those - most aren't used by anyone but Delazon, or perhaps at all - but it should be self-evident that none of them require Zaz.

My personal experience is that there is no reason to use Zaz for sexlab playback now. If you already have DD, then that's (more than) enough. Writing to target Zap makes you have to deal with alternate code paths that are simply time wasted. The only reason to do that now is to support Zap items. I think Zap items were the right way to go, but they lost, DD won, its beta and VHS. We're stuck with DD and its constant performance-sucking spawning of placeatme items to obtain instances and that's a done deal now. At this point in Skyrim modding (or Fallout for that matter), Zaz is not going to make some amazing comeback. It is too late for that to ever happen.

It's hard to love the proprietary atmosphere that pervades both DD and Zaz "version X" development. I have misgivings about the way both groups behave, but the state of it all is still something you have to deal with if you want to make a BDSM mod. DD may be written by a tiny exclusionary clique, but at least they are a reliable exclusionary clique, who have some grasp of what their 'end users' need and want (and that's modders more than players). T.ara seems more oriented towards generating web traffic. If this were not so, what we call Zaz 8+ would be a collection of separate resource files for modders to download, not a giant pack for end-users to download. The giant pack has to exist so that players have to download it, driving traffic to T.ara's blog, the Zaz 8+ forum.

The politics around Zaz always seem uncertain. It doesn't inspire confidence; using it feels like building on sand. There's no clarity over what their direction is, and the existing product is disliked by a lot of players due to the tiny practical value it delivers in return for its huge size. That may be because mods aren't using it as much as they could, but it's a circular problem. Modders lack confidence to use it, because they don't know when it will disappear off the face of LL without warning AGAIN, only to return, equally suddenly, renumbered, or with a plus, or another plus, or who knows what, and the whole thing shrouded in rumours.

We've gone over a year now, with people wondering if building on Zaz 8 is a safe path for their mod.

Nobody wonders that about DD except Veladarius.

I originally started building a mod based on Zaz 8 (my SW replacement) and I came to regret it. That mod is in limbo now, largely because of that decision.

The Zaz pack, as it is now, is a solution in search of a problem, and has a history of disputes and poor technical quality that makes many modders nervous of using it.  If I had to make a bet, Zaz 9 will be more of that. Probably it will use so many replacements that you can't mix it with DD in an install, and if that's the case, it will be dead on arrival.

6 hours ago, Slorm said:

Like you I couldn't figure out the widget toggle key. I assumed it was an ascii code but that doesn't seem to work

Key configs for Skyrim are invariably key-codes, not ASCII, such as listed here: http://www.kbdedit.com/manual/low_level_vk_list.html

Of course, that doesn't mean that the key even works in the mod you're using, it could be broken.

1 hour ago, Lupine00 said:

I couldn't seem to find much information about this, beyond the usual posts of new restraint pics on the Zaz 8 forum.

There are new restraints and also some NPC/PC riding and carrying pics that I can remember off the top of my head.  

edit:  wow, you added a lot more stuff to your post.   I agree with pretty much all of what you are saying.  I do wish that the 2 teams could somehow combine their brain power but it doesn't seem like that will ever happen.  :(   I still have both DD and Zaz installed though because various mods seem to require one or the other.  I mentioned Zaz because while it is a massive pack and development is slow, it does generally match my interests a bit more than the DD mods and their bondage/fetish emphasis.  

But maybe I shouldn't have brought Zaz in the first place.  I didn't mean to make this thread into another DD vs Zaz debate ?

1 hour ago, sapho888 said:

But maybe I shouldn't have brought Zaz in the first place.  I didn't mean to make this thread into another DD vs Zaz debate ?

Yeah. I probably shouldn't have posted all that, but it's a sore point with me. I put a lot of time into trying to build on Zaz 8, and regret that.

My real concern remains the point at the end. The two mods are already almost incompatible due to animation resource consumption, and I only see that getting worse.

If Zaz 9 adds any significant number of replacement animations, there is no way you will be able to mix it with DD.

And the point that started this was made earlier, by others, about DD: just having devices put on you isn't gameplay.

There is a little play in DD, in key hunts and escapes, but DD is mostly used in a cheap way that doesn't add gameplay, because anything else takes time and effort, and modders lack time, they always lack time.

DCL's Captured Princess LAL start is a good example of play that uses DD as part of a quest, rather than just putting items on the player. It's a little rough in places, but there's some nice immersion, and it's not just "run to a place and don't die".