Vortex or Mod Organizer 2?

5 hours ago, legendarytoyou said:

I don't know its been a few years and I spent close to an hour trying to get rid of all the popups.  Like I said its been awhile and I'm not sure if it was just me but I found Vortex a bit on the disconcerting side.  I might try it again someday but to be honest I just prefer NMM.

The problem with NMM is there have been very credible and repeatable issues with installing some of the more more complex mods. Also, some evidence that it has left files in the data folder.  They (the team that is working on updating it) are working on all these issues and making progress but it isn't there IMO from what I have seen, read and heard. For many of the mods (simple ones and such) it does work and does a decent job but it needs to be able to handle ALL of the mods. So NMM (which I used many years ago  for a short time) isn't quite where it needs to be for my  purposes and unfortunately not where it needs to be for wide spread mod support for those that use NMM.

Useful note, both Vortex and even Mod Organizer went through times during early development when it wasn't supported and had issues. MO had issues installing NVSE extender in Fallout NV many many years ago.

IN any case, it is great that there is a choice between two heavily supported mod managers (Vortex and MO).  IMO NMM should only be used by those that can self support and experienced in modding games much like yourself @legendarytoyou

• 2 weeks later...

When I started modding skyrim a couple years back,  I started with vortex.  I knew nothing about modding and had never modded any game b4, and just used vortex as that was what nexus pushed to be used.  My beginnings went fairly well but I did of course have many of the issues new modders run into.  After a fresh install I switched to MO2 and yes it is a bit higher learning curve,  but a few tutorial videos later and I was well on my way to heavily modded yet stable skyrim.  The profile system,  virtual install mechanic,  etc. Of MO2 is far superior imo,  I could never go back to vortex MO is just tooooo sweet. 

On 9/15/2021 at 5:18 PM, legendarytoyou said:
On 9/15/2021 at 4:42 PM, RitualClarity said:

When I last tried I don't remember any ads in vortex.

I don't know its been a few years and I spent close to an hour trying to get rid of all the popups.  Like I said its been awhile and I'm not sure if it was just me but I found Vortex a bit on the disconcerting side.  I might try it again someday but to be honest I just prefer NMM.

I paid (approx) $2.00 one-time to become a Nexus Mods "Supporter" several years ago and never saw another ad on the Nexus. Later, someone I had helped sent me a nice gift: Lifetime Premium Membership, which astonished me. I suspect that the presence/absence of ads in Vortex may be linked to Nexus Mods membership class? Of course, I can't test it because I'm not willing to create a fake Nexus account. I like the uncapped d/l speeds and other perks of Premium membership, including ad suppression.

14 minutes ago, Popo07 said:

At this point MO is already baked in my head ,and for me at least its not worth it to change.

Same here.  I'm so used to using NMM I'm afraid switching to either Vortex or MO2 will damage something.  Call me old fashioned but I'll just stick to NMM.  If it ends up losing ALL support than I'll consider MO2 or Vortex but not a minute earlier.

I used to stubbornly install everything manually and maybe use NMM to adjust LO. Thought I'd give either Vortex or MO a try with my last install of SSE just to see how they handle things. I've read some problems ppl had making things work in MO, so decided to try Vortex first. Also don't really like the idea of messing with virtual files when I'm constantly pulling assets and tweaking them to my liking. Even with large mods Vortex worked so well for me that I use it for all newer games now and have never had a problem with a bad installation like I got with NMM. Pretty easy to manage too with no ads for premium.

11 hours ago, Vyxenne said:

I paid (approx) $2.00 one-time to become a Nexus Mods "Supporter" several years ago and never saw another ad on the Nexus. Later, someone I had helped sent me a nice gift: Lifetime Premium Membership, which astonished me. I suspect that the presence/absence of ads in Vortex may be linked to Nexus Mods membership class? Of course, I can't test it because I'm not willing to create a fake Nexus account. I like the uncapped d/l speeds and other perks of Premium membership, including ad suppression.

I've never paid for nexus membership although my free account is now 8 years old (joined 2013) and i've never seen an ad in vortex (other than the little one at the top about going premium) so maybe its only newer accounts that see ad's in it

Edited by pinky6225
22 hours ago, legendarytoyou said:
22 hours ago, Popo07 said:

At this point MO is already baked in my head ,and for me at least its not worth it to change.

Same here.  I'm so used to using NMM I'm afraid switching to either Vortex or MO2 will damage something.  Call me old fashioned but I'll just stick to NMM.  If it ends up losing ALL support than I'll consider MO2 or Vortex but not a minute earlier.

I totally understand this. As long as MO and NMM (respectively) are meeting your needs, staying in that comfort zone is logical.

Edited by Vyxenne

The best Mod-Organizer is your brain. If SKYRIM is very important for you, you simply don ´t use software which can damage your installation, same is btw. for LOOT, which often in the past changed a working game into a damaged configuration. Mod authors do not have an overview about the influence of their mods among other mods and there is no guarantee that mods work well with each other in any case and any way. The best is to understand in whole what a mod is doing if being installed and then let it do it ´s job and check it out. SOME stuff is causing the game to be INSTABLE, which is not ideal-but if you want that stuff you can not miss it. Instability is mostly caused by the way how the mod adds a "mechanic" into the game. Specially LL´s mod can damage the vanilla game quite heavily. Specially in that case, if you mix some stuff which is not suiting, mostly caused by scripting. The authors mostly give informations about that. It makes sense, to read the mod´s intro, or the guide.

I began successfully with NMM in the past but later, when I began to edit ZAP, NMM just updated and it reinstalled the original ZAP6 again over my new work. Assets kept in it´s place, but the behavior-files and the ESM got overwritten-which meant that I had again Version 6 in my gameplay. After that happening I told myself GOOD-BYE to that "helpers" and so I began to install my stuff manually. I ONLY install mods by using WYRE BASH, which I find to become tested or which are very COMPLEX to become deinstalled again-for example can you install MARIA EDEN with WYRE BASH perfectly well and also DEINSTALL it again without any problems and too long waiting time. NMM can not do that in the same way. Also is WYRE BASH offering some TOOLS, which I can use in an ideal way which support my work by modding into ZAP. WB is not easy for a beginner but after some few days you will be lucky with it and it never has made me SAD. To me I find it is totally underrated and very professional. You can also use WYRE BASH easily if you have SKYRIM, SKYRIM as a second installation (inside of a different folder) and SKYRIM SE. SO you can use for each game WB perfectly well. Anyway do you need to reorganize the FOLDER-ACCESS !!! Same for the SAFE-GAME-FILES !!!

If otherwise you use different games which are NEXUS-AVAILABLE FOR MODDING and you want to use one Mod-Organizer in a well organized way, maybe VORTEX is a best choice for that. And of course are there endless users, who prefer MOD ORGANIZER and like that mostly.

Make a CLONE of your SSD/HDD by using for example CLONEZILLA and try out, which MOD-ORGANIZER you prefer...or go a splitted way by add ing the IMPORTANT mods MANUALLY. In that case this mods should house on your installation in a stabil way.

Edited by t.ara
33 minutes ago, t.ara said:

NMM just updated and it reinstalled the original ZAP6 again over my new work. Assets kept in it´s place, but the behavior-files and the ESM got overwritten-which meant that I had again Version 6 in my gameplay. After that happening I told myself GOOD-BYE to that "helpers"

I felt disgusted reading that haha. I would have flipped. I like NMM for certain things though. I use Wrye Bash for 90%, at least for LE.

3 hours ago, t.ara said:

.. NMM just updated and it reinstalled the original ZAP6 again over my new work...

One of the things that could never happen in MO2. Any installers are only run by user and there is no such thing as overwrites, only priorities.

You mention Wrye Bash, i take that is still just as useable wether you use MO2 or Vortex.

I just recently moved my Steam install of Skyrim and MO2 folder itself to SSD. I have to say it went as smoothly as expected. Only some tool launchers like FNIS needed to be updated with new start path and i had to reinstall SKSE and ENBoost (with backuped ini's). But as for mods themselves i had to do nothing. Because there are no mods in the Skyrim\Data\, I wonder how Vortex would have handled that situation with its huge mess of file links.

To be exact, Skyrim doesn't have "Move folder" feature in Steam that exists in most other Steam games. I think i literally had to redownload the whole thing.

• 3 weeks later...

If you get them on something like MO2 you will feel lonely and your friends wont need you.

Seriously once they finally figure out how to use MO2, they will stop calling you so often asking for help to identify a mod issue, its not worth it better to have people that call on you than not.

Edited by Gameplayer
  • 3 weeks later...

From someone who had a brief inside look at Vortex, I will continue to use MO2. At the very least Vortex's load order should have always been tied to individual Profiles vs what it is now (and apparently what it will remain to be). Bethesda games need better than "just use LOOT" as many mods absolutely don't work well behind something else if we want the game to work as expected (and presuming we don't patch it over, which Vortex won't care about either).

Can't say I've had many issues with Vortex, gets the job done.

Been 200-mod deep into Skyrim and Fallout without major issues coming up.

I'm sure I'd get on just fine with MO2 as well, I just have no desire to learn how to use a new organizing tool when the one I'm currently using fulfils it's intended purpose just fine. If a major issue arises, and Vortex becomes a pain in the backside for whatever reason, I'll move over to MO2. 

It's funny (not really) and sort of ironic(?) how the 'Vortex or Mod Organizer 2?' topic has suddenly become a Theological vs. Philosophical seminary. Keep it going, by all means, since everything with the gray matter between its gourd already knows the answer here.

Edited by stingray1995
On 10/15/2021 at 10:47 PM, Gameplayer said:

If you get them on something like MO2 you will feel lonely and your friends wont need you.

Seriously once they finally figure out how to use MO2, they will stop calling you so often asking for help to identify a mod issue, its not worth it better to have people that call on you than not.

Fuck those friends...

Real friends will get their shit done with MO then call you to go out and get a beer!  :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/9/2021 at 6:07 AM, stingray1995 said:

It's funny (not really) and sort of ironic(?) how the 'Vortex or Mod Organizer 2?' topic has suddenly become a Theological vs. Philosophical seminary. Keep it going, by all means, since everything with the gray matter between its gourd already knows the answer here.

Like you know the difference ?