Site Update: Things have changed, but nothing is final.

4 hours ago, softSophie said:

I am new to the site, is there a big problem with the profiles?

They cannot be set to private/"registered only" which lets people (including other users here) use tools like archive.today to harass and stalk others

40 minutes ago, whythefuckcantilogin said:

why cant i log in with my displayname anymore, do you seriously expect people to remember the throwaway emails name?

I suppose it was too much trouble to look eleven posts up at my post where it tells you exactly what to do:

And while this seems to have been an issue for a few people, traffic on the site is up to, and possibly past, what it was before the change. So, I am led to believe that most people have been able to figure it out.

13 minutes ago, deejayz said:

Hello everyone.

Ranks are being recalculated. We'll show your current rank here soon.

Can someone explain to me what that means and why it is done?

Am I getting demoted?   ? ?

There has been a lot of discussion about ranks on this thread and I don't intend to reiterate it all. Feel free to look back, especially at some of the earlier pages, for more information.

Ranks are simply a means of giving a name for certain numbers of posts. When the recalculation is done you will be able to see the tree on your profile page giving the titles that you have earned and the number of posts that you made to earn them.

I'm sure you're not being demoted --- unless you've just deleted a lot of posts?

On 10/7/2021 at 6:50 PM, Psalam said:

Ranks are simply a means of giving a name for certain numbers of posts. When the recalculation is done you will be able to see the tree on your profile page giving the titles that you have earned and the number of posts that you made to earn them.

I'm sure you're not being demoted --- unless you've just deleted a lot of posts?

I thought the ranks are a recognition for the much time and work that I dedicate to this page with my posts.

After that recalculation, i can't see any difference in my profile. Where please do I see the number of posts that I made to earn the rank?

Two days ago I was close to the next rank. Now Loverslab has taken away more than 300 points with its recalculation and I get so few points for each post.
Edited by deejayz
21 minutes ago, deejayz said:
Two days ago I was close to the next rank. Now Loverslab has taken away more than 300 points with its great recalculation. i am very very disappointed with loverslab and i will definitely not be posting any more posts anytime soon.

bruh why is an imaginary number so important to you? ranks are a joke, and they don't mean anything

So I made a post to try and help someone the other day and received a rank of Proficient. I visited yesterday and received "One Year In" badge, and dropped two ranks. Don't care about rankings but for someone whose been here for over 8 years, that badge is more like a slap in the face than a congratulation.

On 10/10/2021 at 3:22 AM, jap2015 said:

So I made a post to try and help someone the other day and received a rank of Proficient. I visited yesterday and received "One Year In" badge, and dropped two ranks. Don't care about rankings but for someone whose been here for over 8 years, that badge is more like a slap in the face than a congratulation.

Give something first and then take it away again. Even if the ranks shouldn't be taken so seriously, of course, it's like when I go to youtube in the morning and youtube took 1000 followers from me overnight due to a recalculation.

Edited by deejayz
On 10/9/2021 at 10:03 PM, AndragonFirefly said:

I know many people posted that they like the new speed but for me it is the opposite here in North America. Extremely slow page load and about half the time it don't even load but gives an error. I am using Windows 10 and I use Edge.

The same here. Loverslab loads sometimes very slow. I have high speed internet and other sites load at the same time lightning fast.

Despite all the criticism, loverslab is free and something that is given for free shouldn't be criticized. nor should this be a criticism, just a statement. A hint, suggestion for improvement, whatever.

Edited by deejayz

Y'all taking this ranking stuff way too personally. This isn't PVP. Leaderboards don't matter. Ranking is just a mechanism the people who made the forum (and I don't mean Ashal) decided to add because studies have shown that this kind of thing encourages participation. And they're not wrong about that.

And the whole "recalculating" thing isn't because you offended the gods or something ridiculous like that. It's just the system going back through all the data it has and seeing how it all matches up with the current rules about ranking. Maybe there was a bug in how something was calculated before. Maybe a rule or two for determining rank has changed. Maybe some threads were deleted and the system doesn't know about some posts you had in there. Sure, maybe you went down (or up) a rank because you were right on the edge of it and something just now pushed you back onto the other side, but that doesn't mean you're being deprived of the higher rank as part of some nefarious conspiracy or malicious activity.

So much drama over such a little, meaningless icon. Let it go. We've got plenty of fucked up things in the world to worry about without adding this to the list.

Edited by tasairis

The database table that tracks achievement progress was to big and slowing parts of the site down a lot. So I capped it to only track starting from the last few years rather than the entire history of the site.

18 hours ago, deejayz said:

the same here in europe. the site is very often very slow

I'm in UK loads in 1.46s, site is served via cloudflare cdn so shouldn't be that much of an issue. If you want to nitpick on performance I guess you could ....

1) Combine some small js/css resources together save on HTTP requests.

2) Clean up web code (view source!).

On 10/10/2021 at 11:42 PM, tasairis said:

Y'all taking this ranking stuff way too personally. This isn't PVP. Leaderboards don't matter. Ranking is just a mechanism the people who made the forum (and I don't mean Ashal) decided to add because studies have shown that this kind of thing encourages participation. And they're not wrong about that.

And the whole "recalculating" thing isn't because you offended the gods or something ridiculous like that. It's just the system going back through all the data it has and seeing how it all matches up with the current rules about ranking. Maybe there was a bug in how something was calculated before. Maybe a rule or two for determining rank has changed. Maybe some threads were deleted and the system doesn't know about some posts you had in there. Sure, maybe you went down (or up) a rank because you were right on the edge of it and something just now pushed you back onto the other side, but that doesn't mean you're being deprived of the higher rank as part of some nefarious conspiracy or malicious activity.

So much drama over such a little, meaningless icon. Let it go. We've got plenty of fucked up things in the world to worry about without adding this to the list.

No one is doing drama here and none of us spoke of nefarious conspiracy or malicious activity.

You say yourself ranking mechanism was added to encourage participation. But you do not encourage participation if you take back ranks overnight from people for whom they have been posting for weeks.

Edited by deejayz