Site Update: Things have changed, but nothing is final.

> It didn't bothered me until recently when opening certain pages became terribly slow. I thought it was due to upgrading site or similar until I noticed increased number of video clips in every "post image/pics" threads. Threads like "Post your screenshots" in Skyrim section and similar in Sim 4 section also contain numerous video clips that drastically slows down opening pages that are already slow. I am not against those videos, I just think they are posted in "wrong" place. So, is there a possibility to separate video clips in separate threads?

31 minutes ago, EvalovesEP said:

> It didn't bothered me until recently when opening certain pages became terribly slow. I thought it was due to upgrading site or similar until I noticed increased number of video clips in every "post image/pics" threads. Threads like "Post your screenshots" in Skyrim section and similar in Sim 4 section also contain numerous video clips that drastically slows down opening pages that are already slow. I am not against those videos, I just think they are posted in "wrong" place. So, is there a possibility to separate video clips in separate threads?

Agreed, or simply make videos & maybe pictures ( Hidden Contents ) until user chose to ( Reveal it ), Topic viewer need most time see only new posts there is no need to load again videos or pics for all page. 

6 hours ago, EvalovesEP said:

5 hours ago, mma75online said:

Agreed, or simply make videos & maybe pictures ( Hidden Contents ) until user chose to ( Reveal it ), Topic viewer need most time see only new posts there is no need to load again videos or pics for all page. 

You're both right. They NEED to be placed in spoilers (Hidden Contents). Groups of pictures (more than one) and Walls of text do as well. Please people, pitch in and help keep the site working (not unlike throwing your trash in a proper receptacle and not littering the streets).

6 minutes ago, Psalam said:

You're both right. They NEED to be placed in spoilers (Hidden Contents). Groups of pictures (more than one) and Walls of text do as well. Please people, pitch in and help keep the site working (not unlike throwing your trash in a proper receptacle and not littering the streets).

Yo, but even in spoiler tags, they load (and load, and load) so that I keep away from these picture threads.

1 minute ago, CaptainJ03 said:

Yo, but even in spoiler tags, they load (and load, and load) so that I keep away from these picture threads.

That's understandable BUT there is a notable difference when they're loaded in spoilers AND people limit themselves to a single image outside spoilers. It is the people who don't do that (and don't claim ignorance I've posted how to do it - see link in my signature for "Navigating LL" - the post on Posting) that make using those Threads unnecessarily hard for everyone else. And, on the other hand, let me give out props to the many people who have worked hard on this Thread to do just that.

3 minutes ago, Psalam said:

That's understandable BUT there is a notable difference when they're loaded in spoilers AND people limit themselves to a single image outside spoilers. It is the people who don't do that (and don't claim ignorance I've posted how to do it - see link in my signature for "Navigating LL" - the post on Posting) that make using those Threads unnecessarily hard for everyone else. And, on the other hand, let me give out props to the many people who have worked hard on this Thread to do just that.

> I understand your point and it make sense, but still, why video clips aren't separated from pics thread? Is it hard to make it or ?

Edited by EvalovesEP
15 minutes ago, EvalovesEP said:

> I understand your point and it make sense, but still, why video clips aren't separated from pics thread? Is it hard to make it or ?

I can't effectively enforce getting people to use spoilers. I'm sure I would be unable to force people to keep those entirely separate even if I wanted to do so. Then again, I was just looking at a new mod upload and the author used a video without a spoiler. How am I supposed to handle that? On their own Thread (that is the Thread with their mod) they can get by with a lot (and that is as it should be - Look at LL Rule #1). So, you have to have balance (apply rules fairly and evenly) BUT it is critical to the site's mission to encourage mod authors and that may mean giving them more leeway. Sometimes, you just can't win.

1 minute ago, Psalam said:

I can't effectively enforce getting people to use spoilers. I'm sure I would be unable to force people to keep those entirely separate even if I wanted to do so. Then again, I was just looking at a new mod upload and the author used a video without a spoiler. How am I supposed to handle that? On their own Thread (that is the Thread with their mod) they can get by with a lot (and that is as it should be - Look at LL Rule #1). So, you have to have balance (apply rules fairly and evenly) BUT it is critical to the site's mission to encourage mod authors and that may mean giving them more leeway. Sometimes, you just can't win.

> Good point. I will speak for myself: if I found some thread being slow because of named problem, I will simply close the thread and stop follow it. I might lost enjoyment in the content, but at least I will not be frustrated. :)

I post vids myself. However, as long as those are in a spoiler, it does not slow down the loading of the page. At least for me.

To have people to obey the spoiler usage, just remove the picture walls, as soon as more than one picture has been posted.

Another point to mention, ,ots of pics are in png format. Open it in windows paint and save as jpeg. This drastcally reduces the size

and loading time.

Edited by T-lam
Another hint
7 hours ago, Psalam said:

I've posted how to do it - see link in my signature for "Navigating LL"

Well, when it comes to controlling people behaviour persuasion or education approach must fail with majority of them, simply because they are "immune" to that.

Want to stop folks from dying on crosswalk? Build them a footbridge or tunnel instead, but for f...k sake - destroy that crosswalk as it's against human nature to use it properly.

Edited by PippinTom
On 10/21/2021 at 6:45 PM, Ashal said:

The ranking system was disabled temporarily for performance reasons.

Hi. Are these performance issues the reason why I am having trouble downloading? I've been trying all morning, even rebooting my computer 3 times, and the dl keeps cutting out. The farthest it's gone is 518k Kb of a 1.37Gb .rar file. Out of almost a 100 dl's showing in the link, 90 are probably my attempts.

2 hours ago, Seeker999 said:

and the dl keeps cutting out.

Do you have multiple download running at the same time? => stop that, one by one catches the mod, especially if you download fat mods

Are you downloading with your mod manager of choice? => download the file and add it manually to your mod manager might show better results

Are you downloading into an UAC controlled folder? => choose one outside windows control

Virus scanner licks every downloaded file => give him money to visit the cinema until the downloads are done

You tried all of the above ideas already?

Call the IT Exorcist!

Spoiler

Pin on Tech Geek

Edited by donttouchmethere
13 minutes ago, donttouchmethere said:

Call the IT Exorcist!

? That's the first activity of datacenter tech support staff that's finally making sense in 2021.

Spoiler

At least more sense, as proding fingers in noses and mumbling something with *reboot* or *must update driver*

Spoiler

:classic_angry:Imbeciles

6 minutes ago, worik said:

At least more sense, as proding fingers in noses and mumbling something with *reboot* or *must update driver*

reboot? update driver?

So THERE are other things that can be done other than spilling holy water on servers and rubbing them in machine oil?

Wait till I tell that my colleges on Monday =D

Spoiler

57 minutes ago, donttouchmethere said:

So THERE are other things that can be done other than

Just no! There aren't any. They are just wasting your time :classic_dry: Stick with the shaman or pope or whatever.

Spoiler

Just keep the  "experts" away from precious data processing facilities. :classic_ph34r:

Edited by worik
52 minutes ago, donttouchmethere said:

Do you have multiple download running at the same time? => stop that, one by one catches the mod, especially if you download fat mods

Are you downloading with your mod manager of choice? => download the file and add it manually to your mod manager might show better results

Are you downloading into an UAC controlled folder? => choose one outside windows control

Virus scanner licks every downloaded file => give him money to visit the cinema until the downloads are done

You tried all of the above ideas already?

Call the IT Exorcist!

Time for the Exorcist, then.

• It's the only download.
  • I'm not using a mod manager, just dl'ing direct.
  • None of my game stuff is in a UAC controlled folder, and I tried dl'ing into different drives and folders.
  • Only a week ago I dl'd another file (a .7z if that matters) from Lover's Lab - before the last visible change (ranking removal) on LL.
  • Tried w/ Firewall turned off.

Guess I'll keep trying.

55 minutes ago, Seeker999 said:

Time for the Exorcist, then.

Damn ?

Where are the Internet cracks if you need one?!

Maybe it's the browser you use? I use Firefox and it drains LL empty without chocking.

A nearly full HDD/SDD can make issues too.

Did you try and switch it on and off? ?

unlikely:

Do you have anything running in the background that blocks one the ports your browser uses? (is your SQL server running?^^)

(dangerous half knowledge is dangerous half knowledge)

23 minutes ago, Seeker999 said:

Guess I'll keep trying.

?It might help to pick a random file of similar size from another site to compare the effects. Same crippled speed? Watching a movie on youflix or Nettube or whatever is doing fine?

23 minutes ago, Seeker999 said:

Tried w/ Firewall turned off.

Oh! And by the way. Do try to keep yourself from repeating such stunts. It's granted to do you more harm than good :classic_unsure:

For a more detailed discussion, it might make more sense to move your issue over to the https://www.loverslab.com/forum/10-technical-support/

Just open a new thread there to get that sorted out outside of the "Announcements" section. ?

Edited by worik
17 hours ago, Seeker999 said:

@donttouchmethere and @worik, I thank you for your help. I got it downloaded. I got it installed. I did a major face-palm/head bang because I didn't do what I have done hundreds of times in the past when something wasn't working in Firefox. I WENT TO A DIFFERENT BROWSER!!! as Worik suggested above.

Today was brain fart day.

Happy End! Would have been bad if you can't test anymore for the ultimate guide to hear voices.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:31 AM, Ashal said:

The default was changed in the Sims 4 categories due to various users abusing the recently updated order by making empty "updates" to bump their files to the top of the list. 

---

Also, as a side note. I'm going to experiment with adding reviews to files in the sims 4 category to see how it goes. I've usually been hesitant about enabling reviews on files as I fear some authors might take the ratings to seriously or that some less knowledgeable user giving giving bad reviews that are the result of their own error installing a mod. To hopefully curb some of that, I'm setting it so only accounts that aren't new can review.

Will see how it goes. Interested in feedback on it as well (a review of reviews, if you will)

The option appears available in skyrim SE as i just did one but there is a requirement for it to have been downloaded which i understand going forward/trying to verify people have actually used the mod but if i decided to go and review all the LL mods i currently use thats going to be a lot of pointless downloads/wasted bandwidth (i.e. 200mb to be able to review paradise halls/diary of mine, my internet is fast and unlimited but thats prolly gonna create some server slow down if loads start reviewing)

Maybe turn that requirement off (if possible) for mod pages created before reviews were available or just off until reviews have been around for a while longer

Edited by pinky6225
37 minutes ago, pinky6225 said:

The option appears available in skyrim SE as i just did one but there is a requirement for it to have been downloaded which i understand going forward/trying to verify people have actually used the mod but if i decided to go and review all the LL mods i currently use thats going to be a lot of pointless downloads/wasted bandwidth (i.e. 200mb to be able to review paradise halls/diary of mine, my internet is fast and unlimited but thats prolly gonna create some server slow down if loads start reviewing)

Maybe turn that requirement off (if possible) for mod pages created before reviews were available or just off until reviews have been around for a while longer

If you click on download, but cancel the download - before anything get saved on your system - you are allowed to write a review.

(you need to reload the page after that of course)