The toilet paper is all gone

4 hours ago, Tyrant99 said:

How could we already have a vaccine to a completely new strain of Coronavirus?

Because it's a variant of a known strain that we had the means to start working on during sars, which would have shortened the logistics by literal years. People saying we're gonna have a vaccine in 18 months are quoting the absolute best case scenario with countries working together.

4 hours ago, Tyrant99 said:

How could we already have a vaccine to a completely new strain of Coronavirus?

We dont have one, but due to the new genetic thingys they testing one now in Us. Lets see if it works.

It could take 1 year before we have anything ready.

ON TWITTER TODAY...

Corona Virus is misogynistic; it's forcing women to stay at home.  It is also trans-phobic because there's not enough hospital beds for people getting those all-important gender reassignments.

NOT making this shit up.

EDIT: And just now...Trump is monopolizing the Corona Virus because people are agreeing with what he's saying.

4 hours ago, Uncle64 said:

We dont have one, but due to the new genetic thingys they testing one now in Us. Lets see if it works.

It could take 1 year before we have anything ready.

There's a new strain (weeks old) that has adaptive RNA.  It can become novel from victim to victim.  People under the age of 50 are just as vulnerable as old geezers like me.  It's nature's way of staying 'Millennials are welcome to the party too so yuck it up assholes.'  A lot of the newer cases of COVID-19 are younger people.  I guess they're too stupid to stay home.

On 3/21/2020 at 6:47 PM, winny257 said:

The Robert Koch Institute advises against a face mask!
for a healthy person, this protection is almost useless. 
an infected person should wear a face mask so as not to endanger other people.

sorry german.

Corona virus: what a mouthguard brings

https://www1.wdr.de/nachrichten/coronavirus-atemschutzmasken-tipps-100.html

Just wanted to add, from some looking up on the internet, this is why Asians are wearing masks, out of consideration of others, to prevent the spread.

23 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Here in Germany supermarkets are starting to limit access to the store (not more than x people at the same time) and put tape and barriers everywhere to keep people separated.

Also you're expected not to pay with cash anymore, use your debit card.

Still no all day curfew though, except for a few towns/cities. Can you say it like that, all day curfew?

All non-essential workers have been ordered to stay home. Businesses shut down unless they can work from home. Essential businesses still open like grocery, pharmacy, fuel stations, etc. However my entire state is being told to remain isolated. Stay home unless absolutely necessary to go out. No gatherings allowed.

Only way to get through this is to slow the spread. Doubtful it can be stopped, but slowing it will at least allow the medical systems to keep up instead of being overwhelmed.

18 minutes ago, Daedric_Cat said:

Just wanted to add, from some looking up on the internet, this is why Asians are wearing masks, out of consideration of others, to prevent the spread.

yes, and that is just the thing.

a mask for a healthy person only partially protects, only mouth and nose are protected, but what about the eyes?
if there are viruses on the hands and suddenly an eye itches, then on NO CASE with the Hands touch the eye!
the viruses enter the body through the eyes.

50 minutes ago, chajapa said:

All non-essential workers have been ordered to stay home. Businesses shut down unless they can work from home. Essential businesses still open like grocery, pharmacy, fuel stations, etc. However my entire state is being told to remain isolated. Stay home unless absolutely necessary to go out. No gatherings allowed.

Only way to get through this is to slow the spread. Doubtful it can be stopped, but slowing it will at least allow the medical systems to keep up instead of being overwhelmed.

Kinda wanted to post this in the rant thread, but it goes better here.

If I read these correctly, the Department of Justice is seriously considering suspending habeas corpus.  That means that if the government deems necessary, they can arrest and detain you without trial, indefinitely.  The last time this was done was by president Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War.

With regards to this:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/21/doj-coronavirus-emergency-powers-140023?fbclid=IwAR1N83PJ14Rop-8vw7hkb8OP3Pw0S2T9xlwoSMhyTrGIIIaQ2oUo9ZPIjiA

and this:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/doj-wants-suspend-constitutional-rights-205444026.html

I present Mr. Carlin's take on such things.  You have no rights.  Only temporary privileges.  Rights aren't rights if someone can take them away.

The whole skit is worth watching, but I skipped to the part where he makes that point regarding the U.S. citizens of Japanese decent during WWII.

news from Germany

Chancellor Angela Merkel is under domestic quarantine. She was in contact with a person infected with Covid19.

The infected person is her doctor, who had vaccinated her against pneumococci. The Chancellor is 65 years old.

https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/live206505337/Coronavirus-live-Kabinett-beschliesst-156-Milliarden-Euro-Hilfspaket.html

well, even doctors spread the virus, nobody is safe! :classic_wink:

2 hours ago, Daedric_Cat said:

It's amazing that you would even have to point that out for some. :classic_dry: On the other hand, perhaps some of these people want to help spread it- especially if they think they're immune to it's deadly effects. Yup, the media is doing a crack-head job on this one.

2 hours ago, 27X said:

Damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess. But, we will have to open things back up some time anyway.....and sooner would be better since I think this shit is here to stay and we can't afford to completely wreck the economy over it. Life is a gamble no matter what you do and the last time the world went through a big economic depression it ended in WW2. "Well, our people have no jobs, can't feed their families and we have all these weapons lying around anyway......"

17 minutes ago, winny257 said:

it was the beginning of Corona! 

no offense, this eating culture cannot be healthy.
my stomach turns!

tenor.gif?itemid=5538518

Reveal hidden contents

hqdefault.jpg326376425_146:176:1346:851_1200x675_80_0

That and their horrible wet markets- some say that lab animals ended up in the wet markets and this is what caused the virus.

On 3/22/2020 at 7:05 PM, hana120 said:

But we must admit that this virus is suspicious. Something that we have never heard before surfaced suddenly with thousands of victims everywhere and a few months later we will hear more.

There is nothing suspicious. There are various flu strains every year but they do not make the news because the don't kill any more people than 'normal'. This particular strain kills people and travels fast so alarm bells start ringing.

23 hours ago, Daedric_Cat said:

Just wanted to add, from some looking up on the internet, this is why Asians are wearing masks, out of consideration of others, to prevent the spread

We have been seeing images of the Chinese wearing mask for several years now, thanks to the air pollution in their cites. Face mask also feature in their cartoons strips. So if a killer flu appears then it is understandable why they reach for their masks even if it is now known that the virus spreads largely by touch.

People in the West have seen it on TV so they, being the sheeple they are, all start to wear mask as if it is the latest must-have fashion accessory.

Here in the UK our clown of a PM has just announced that all non-essential shops etc must close.

I've just used the widget on the NHS website to find out how many cases there are in my city. Of a population of 254,4xx there are 25 confirmed cases of infection. That's infections not deaths. 1 in 10,000. How many cases of flu would we normally expect at this time of year?

10 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

There is nothing suspicious. There are various flu strains every year but they do not make the news because the don't kill any more people than 'normal'. This particular strain kills people and travels fast so alarm bells start ringing.

Spot on.

That's why there's a new vaccine every year for Influenza, it mutates quite rapidly. There are also variants given, depending on age range due to susceptibility.

50 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

We have been seeing images of the Chinese wearing mask for several years now, thanks to the air pollution in their cites. Face mask also feature in their cartoons strips. So if a killer flu appears than it is understandable why they reach for their masks even if it is now known that the virus spreads largely by touch.

People in the West have seen it on TV so they, being the sheeple they are, all start to wear mask as if it is the latest must-have fashion accessory.

Here in the UK our clown of a PM has just announced that all non-essential shops etc must close.

I've just used the widget on the NHS website to find out how many cases there are in my city. Of a population of 254,4xx there are 25 confirmed cases of infection. That's infections not deaths. 1 in 10,000. How many cases of flu would we normally expect at this time of year?

But how many were tested? And it depends on testing criteria. Is everyone being tested? Or just those that present symptoms? The problem is that people can walk around spreading this for up to 2 weeks before they have any symptoms. Sharing the virus with whomever they encounter.I also looked at what the regular flu numbers were from October to March here in the US. Something like 13 to 19 million reported flu cases. The difference between this and flu is that this one spreads about twice as fast, is about 10 times more deadly, and has a high percentage of hospitalizations. Our health care people are running out of masks, face shields, gowns... 

It's not how many will get sick. Containment is no longer possible. So now mitigation is the best option to slow the spread to a point where the health care system can handle it.

3 hours ago, chajapa said:

But how many were tested? And it depends on testing criteria. Is everyone being tested?

I understand what you are getting at but even if the actual figure is 100 times the confirmed figure it is still only 2,500 and still only cases not deaths.

The problem is that people can walk around spreading this for up to 2 weeks before they have any symptoms.

Can they?

.I also looked at what the regular flu numbers were from October to March here in the US. Something like 13 to 19 million reported flu cases.

Key disease facts

Influenza (flu) is a very common, highly infectious disease caused by a virus. It can be very dangerous, causing serious complications and death, especially for people in risk groups. In rare cases flu can kill people who are otherwise healthy. In the UK it is estimated that an average of 600 people a year die from complications of flu. In some years it is estimated that this can rise to over 10,000 deaths (see for example this UK study from 2013 exicon.png, which estimated over 13,000 deaths resulting from flu in 2008-09). Flu leads to hundreds of thousands of GP visits and tens of thousands of hospital stays a year.

https://vk.ovg.ox.ac.uk/vk/influenza-flu

The big number from 208-09 was Swine flu. UK population is 50-odd million.

DS edit: part of this post removed for insults

1 hour ago, Slorm said:

Spot on.

That's why there's a new vaccine every year for Influenza, it mutates quite rapidly. There are also variants given, depending on age range due to susceptibility.

covid-19 pandemic
347,513 infected worldwide
101,520 healed
16,350 dead

eydo3jaba6dch974imc8a2eyvvoh9azj.jpg

that is low in comparison to this, and nobody cares. :classic_wink:

According to the United Nations Joint Program for HIV / AIDS (UNAIDS), around 36.7 million people living with HIV lived in 2015 worldwide. In 2015 there were approximately 2.1 million new HIV infections (5600 per day) and around 1.1 million people died from the effects of HIV / AIDS.

1.1 million people died in a year!!!!

HIV / AIDS numbers worldwide
24.5 million had access to HIV medication at the end of June 2019. 1.7 million people were newly infected with HIV worldwide in 2018. 770,000 people died from their HIV infection.

Currently working at a grocery store and I am seeing the worse side of it all.

Every fucking 10 minutes I'm having someone asks "When's the toilet paper coming in" "When's the next grocery truck" or "Do you have anymore _____ in the back?"

And that last comment really pisses me the fuck off. PEOPLE if the shelf is empty of a product, then 90% of the time the store doesn't have it in stock. STOP FUCKING BOTHERING ASSOCIATES if the toilet paper shelves are empty or if the milk and eggs are blown.

And when we do get a grocery truck in OOOOHHOOOHHOOO, you better believe the sheep come flying out which way. You know it's fucked up that you legit have to send 2 associates to an aisle in fear of 1 of them getting swarmed or trampled.

And fuck everyone who's part of Facebook toilet paper watch groups. The only people who are worse than them are the sick FUCKS who leave fucking used tissues on the empty shelves. There's a special place in hell for them and I hope they suffer as painfully and as slowly.

And you know else needs to go to hell? All of the Karens who are giving me and any other retail worker shit, ESPECIALLY right now. There's a 2 per person limit, so NO you can't buy extra toilet paper for your neighbor or cousin. NO MA'AM, the truck isn't here yet, despite you telling me that it is. I'M the fucking associate, YOU AIN'T SHIT. SO TAKE YOU AND YOUR BADASS AUTISTIC CHILD AND WAIT IN THE LOBBY LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!!!! NO, WE WILL NOT SAVE ANYTHING FOR YOU, IT'S A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE!! AND FINALLY, STOP CAMPING OUT ON THE AISLE AND BLOCKING IT FOR EVERYONE WHO WANTS TO SHOP.

But it's all not too bad. Everyone in the company has gotten temporary pay raises until the crisis is over. Coporate has also relaxed on the dress code, so we can wear jeans. As well as us getting free lunches on an almost regular basis. And on the top of me getting a huge increase in pay and promotion a week prior, I'm earning some serious cash right now.