The toilet paper is all gone

Using this link to check on the official numbers every now and then.
The way I see it, most countries have seriously undermined their health care system in the past and/or underestimated the severity of the virus and are now paying the price. Even countries with relatively good health care systems like ours have partially trouble in keeping up with the infections, especially in intensive treatment. Don't think anything will change about this once it's over, though. :/

But it's all not too bad. Everyone in the company has gotten temporary pay raises until the crisis is over. Coporate has also relaxed on the dress code, so we can wear jeans. As well as us getting free lunches on an almost regular basis. And on the top of me getting a huge increase in pay and promotion a week prior, I'm earning some serious cash right now.

Well, that's something. He should have paid you enough for a living in the first place, though. One of the reasons I quit the job. In any event, thanks for the job you and every other grocery store salesman / woman, nurse, doctor and everyone not listed here is doing. Having to work understaffed, over hours and with idiotic customers / patients right now.

8 hours ago, Tyrant99 said:

As long as we're doing math:

16,350/374,513 = 4.366% * 60% of global population = 204,313,334 

Or, let's say the kill rate is much lower (it probably is), in States it's 1.26%, Italy 9.5%, Germany 0.4%, UK 5%, France 4.3%, China 4%. - Hard to pin down a consistent rate, it's kind of all over the place.

Let's say for the sake of argument it's closer to a 1% kill rate.

60% of global population * 1% = 46,800,000.

So, assuming it infects 60% of global population over the next year or two, at a 1% kill rate, that's nearly 47 mil fatalities. That's why many people are drawing a comparison to WW2 which killed ~ 50 million people. - It's not too far off when you do the math. Also, keep in mind, WW2 was over a 6 year period while this will most likely be over a 1-2 year period.

since December 1981, 35 million people have died from AIDS.
it will continue to millions People on HIV die, because for HIV, there is no cure.
in contrast, Covid-19 is a viral cold illness which will eventually go away, if not then we don't need a third world war. :classic_wink:

13 hours ago, winny257 said:

covid-19 pandemic
347,513 infected worldwide
101,520 healed
16,350 dead

eydo3jaba6dch974imc8a2eyvvoh9azj.jpg

that is low in comparison to this, and nobody cares. :classic_wink:

According to the United Nations Joint Program for HIV / AIDS (UNAIDS), around 36.7 million people living with HIV lived in 2015 worldwide. In 2015 there were approximately 2.1 million new HIV infections (5600 per day) and around 1.1 million people died from the effects of HIV / AIDS.

Had a conversation just last night regarding how the rich, especially actors, who were paid ungodly amounts for their entertainment value, as well as the attention seekers, are suddenly realizing that the spotlight is off them... for now.  And that's the thing.  Due to the current climate of fear, people are paying attention to what really matters on a daily basis (shelter, water, food), and are, for the moment, ignoring their higher needs, or at least not getting around to worrying about them.  Thing is, this virus is out there, and it's been proven it can't be stopped, only slowed.  This whole change of pace will not continue long term.  It can't.  The only thing that might happen is that people will come to terms with a more deadly form of flu.  When everything gets back up and running, as it must, sooner or later (and in all likelihood sooner), two things are guaranteed to happen.

1. All of the lessons that are learned (make that re-learned, for the umpteenth time) will be forgotten.  Who and what is truly important.  How our "leaders" are willfully ignorant.  How human activity truly affects the environment.  And especially our media feeds on fear.

2. Eventually, just like HIV/AIDS, this virus's hosts will be just a number.  To be seen and forgotten, like the countless faces of the people you pass on the same route as you take every day, yet who don't even register to you, as they are so familiar as to be simply part of the scenery.

Life will return to normal.  The greedy will get back to being greedy.  The poor will still be poor.  The people who make the wheels of the economy turn will get back to doing their part.  And the apathetic still won't care.

Business as usual.

Virus?  Eh.

25 minutes ago, AKM said:

and it's been proven it can't be stopped,

No virus can be stopped. That is why we still have regular flu.

26 minutes ago, AKM said:

The only thing that might happen is that people will come to terms with a more deadly form of flu.

Calm down. It's not the first deadly flu and it wont be the last.

28 minutes ago, AKM said:

This whole change of pace will not continue long term.

What change of pace. Humans are reacting to a situation. Other than scale it is no different to what happens after any natural disaster, for instance. Shit happens- some people have their lives turned upside down - communities and governments react - eventually life returns to 'normal'. And when it is all over everyone will go back to being a good little consumer capitalist.

Article on toilet paper makers and how they are coping with the demand.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/17/business/toilet-paper-supply-chain-coronavirus/index.html

People really need to cut this out. This is going down in history as the toilet paper panic and I can see a thousand years from now kids learning about this and seeing how idiotic these times are.

Of course, by then, we will have three shells in the bathroom.

2 hours ago, Daedric_Cat said:

Article on toilet paper makers and how they are coping with the demand.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/03/17/business/toilet-paper-supply-chain-coronavirus/index.html

People really need to cut this out. This is going down in history as the toilet paper panic and I can see a thousand years from now kids learning about this and seeing how idiotic these times are.

Of course, by then, we will have three shells in the bathroom.

I think I've figured out what's going on:

Beware: the cult of Cornholio has begun....

On 3/23/2020 at 11:36 PM, Grey Cloud said:

We have been seeing images of the Chinese wearing mask for several years now, thanks to the air pollution in their cites. Face mask also feature in their cartoons strips. So if a killer flu appears then it is understandable why they reach for their masks even if it is now known that the virus spreads largely by touch.

People in the West have seen it on TV so they, being the sheeple they are, all start to wear mask as if it is the latest must-have fashion accessory.

Here in the UK our clown of a PM has just announced that all non-essential shops etc must close.

I've just used the widget on the NHS website to find out how many cases there are in my city. Of a population of 254,4xx there are 25 confirmed cases of infection. That's infections not deaths. 1 in 10,000. How many cases of flu would we normally expect at this time of year?

Eh no it dont spread like that. It do spread whit body fluids, like you coff on the person infront of you. Like all other colds, but this is different it kills lungs that is why so many dies fast.

It actually infects whit some called "Drop smitta" my language, to english it should be drop infection. No tutch at all.

The facemasks dont protect you, but it protect others around you.

You need to read up little.

8 hours ago, Uncle64 said:

You need to read up little.

It is you who needs to do the reading.

First, I said it spreads 'largely by touch'.

Second, it is people touching their own eyes, noses and mouths which puts the virus on their own hands which then touch all sorts of surfaces that are in turn touched by other people.

6 hours ago, Uncle64 said:

They are doing them here to, but they are not allowed to use them

Because they are not surgical masks.

On 3/24/2020 at 9:34 AM, Grey Cloud said:

1. No virus can be stopped. That is why we still have regular flu.

2. Calm down. It's not the first deadly flu and it wont be the last.

3. What change of pace. Humans are reacting to a situation. Other than scale it is no different to what happens after any natural disaster, for instance. Shit happens- some people have their lives turned upside down - communities and governments react - eventually life returns to 'normal'. And when it is all over everyone will go back to being a good little consumer capitalist.

1. Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

2. I am calm.  Frankly, I'm one of the apathetic ones.  Why?  Because I don't interact with people any more than absolutely necessary, ever, even at work.  I keep to myself, maintain my standoffish distance, and have very few people I could even be called friendly towards.  Even in light of the current situation, I don't think I have a whole lot to worry about.

3. Again, you're simply repeating the point I just made.

7 hours ago, AKM said:

1. Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.

2. I am calm.  Frankly, I'm one of the apathetic ones.  Why?  Because I don't interact with people any more than absolutely necessary, ever, even at work.  I keep to myself, maintain my standoffish distance, and have very few people I could even be called friendly towards.  Even in light of the current situation, I don't think I have a whole lot to worry about.

3. Again, you're simply repeating the point I just made.

would have the Chinese no bats eaten, then all this would not have happened. :classic_wink:

it's hard for me, I am a outgoing person. :classic_sad:this fucking virus destroyed interpersonal relationships!!!:classic_angry:

4 hours ago, winny257 said:

would have the Chinese no bats eaten, then all this would not have happened. :classic_wink:

it's hard for me, I am a outgoing person. :classic_sad:this fucking virus destroyed interpersonal relationships!!!:classic_angry:

If not bats, then it would have been something else.  This is simply a sign of the bigger problems humanity is facing, notably the over-abundance (use and mis-use) on antibiotics is catching up with us.  That, and, I suppose the fact that we've been extremely lucky in our lifetimes not to have had major health crysises such as this one.

As for the virus destroying interpersonal relationships, I have some seriously differing opinions on that score, and they have nothing to do with the virus.  In any case, with modern communication (ie computers) it's not like physical isolation has to result in complete isolation (emotional/otherwise. You can still talk to people, communicate, even if it's not face to face).

Went to my local grocery store today at about 5 PM. There was a small, but noteworthy amount of TP and papertowels in stock. Just sitting there, no one in a rush to pick it clean. Beginning of the evening so it wasn't like the store just opened. The pasta, can goods, and other stuff that was being hoarded is slowly being restocked as well. The fresh meat and produce section have almost made a full recovery.

This pandemic won't be over anytime soon but this is at least a good sign the initial wave of a panic is over. Now hopefully nothing too crazy happens to trigger another wave, being nothing helpful or productive will come of more Cornholio worship.

I'm so glad I was in Peru for the first week of the hoarding hysteria, completely oblivious to what was happening up north as I gorged myself on Argentinian beef, South American coffee and hung out with a really nice Latina....