qoq

8 minutes ago, MadMansGun said:

.....and now the thread will get locked because you just had to go and drag in political shit that has nothing to do with anything.

As long as the spark doesn't spread i think it'll fade away. Now if someone were to pick it up and spray it around, then yes, i can see a lock coming. Wouldn't be the first time i saw something like that, and definitive won't be the last either.

What to do when you are using a asset from another modder, which requires authorization (even if you mention him in the credits), but the modder abandoned the scene and dont answer your calls?

Im using two armors for a mod. One of them dont require authorization, but the other does. I left a message in the LE page for the Void armor by Hentai, but got no answer. How do you deal with this kind of situation?

27 minutes ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

What to do when you are using a asset from another modder, which requires authorization (even if you mention him in the credits), but the modder abandoned the scene and dont answer your calls?

Im using two armors for a mod. One of them dont require authorization, but the other does. I left a message in the LE page for the Void armor by Hentai, but got no answer. How do you deal with this kind of situation?

real simple. You put your changed assets in your own mod, because any other method sets you up to get banned or get your mod taken down or both. You then link to the original mod.

48 minutes ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

I left a message in the LE page for the Void armor by Hentai, but got no answer. How do you deal with this kind of situation?

You mean this one? It has permissions in the description.

Permissions
==========
1. Feel free to use everything in this file.

Sounds like an explicit permission to use to me. I know people on Nexus are paranoid about that (I once had a person contacting me and asking whenever I really meant it when I've written "do whatever you want with the source" in the description, lol) and for a good reason. Still just using it and linking should be fine. I hope :)

On the topic of the nexus, what was going through their heads when they made the change?

Really... I want to know.

An infrequent user won't bother to get premium if they only download one or two mods a month, and a power-user's not gonna change their mind 2 minutes later if you just keep nagging them over and over and redirecting them to another page, every damn time. Furthermore they never made any announcement regarding this did they?

If they need money for whatever reason shouldn't they trust the community and be a little transparent instead of shoving their premium-ad in our faces. I mean what am I to believe except that just got greedy for more money?, they told us nothing... There are better ways to advertise your product than imitating an early 2010's piracy site.

Funny thing is, I was thinking of maybe getting a premium once I move and get a new job, since money's tight currently. But now it feels like they're dangling a carrot on a stick in my face and expect me to bend over to get it. This just makes me NOT get premium out of pure spite for being treated like some cattle, to be milked for money.

Meh... It's not even worth the effort of getting upset over it.

Just now, 27X said:

real simple. You put your changed assets in your own mod, because any other method sets you up to get banned or get your mod taken down or both. You then link to the original mod.

The idea was to put only the data in the esp, requiring the user to download the assets (meshes and textures).

However, it wasn't clear for me it this configured as "use of the asset" or not. Hence why I asked for authorization.

Just now, phillout said:

You mean this one? It has permissions in the description.

Sounds like an explicit permission to use to me. I know people on Nexus are paranoid about that (I once had a person contacting me and asking whenever I really meant it when I've written "do whatever you want with the source" in the description, lol) and for a good reason. Still just using it and linking should be fine. I hope :)

I read this in the Nexus "permissions" tab:

Asset use permission

You must get permission from me before you are allowed to use any of the assets in this file

49 minutes ago, Wolfstorm321 said:

I read this in the Nexus "permissions" tab:

IIRC this is the default Nexus permissions. I can't be even sure now if this was in place back in 2012 when the author has uploaded the mod to Nexus, so the site could have just added the permissions afterwards.

But you are right to be cautious. Some asshole can just go complain to Nexus admins about "stolen resources" and you'll have all sorts of problems then. 

29 minutes ago, phillout said:

IIRC this is the default Nexus permissions. I can't be even sure now if this was in place back in 2012 when the author has uploaded the mod to Nexus, so the site could have just added the permissions afterwards.

But you are right to be cautious. Some asshole can just go complain to Nexus admins about "stolen resources" and you'll have all sorts of problems then. 

When in doubt on assets on a site... I'd suggest contacting the moderators/admin and asking for clarification if.. there is some conflict or doubt.  They can make a decision (good or bad) and then you are safe from their reactions as they would be the ones making the judgement. There are people that are known to have their content (all of it) as free to use or use with some conditions.. The site admin,moderators are usually quite versed in what is going on with the members and their content. .. to a degree at least.

However, to be clear if the author came back and stated .. don't do that.. you'd have to remove those contents from your mod. Best to do it where your changes are done on your mod and then just link to that one as a requirement. Messy and adds at least one more esp but ... does make everything nicer in the long run.

Just now, RitualClarity said:

Best to do it where your changes are done on your mod and then just link to that one as a requirement. Messy and adds at least one more esp but ... does make everything nicer in the long run.

It wont need another esp, I just duplicated the data and saved it in my own esp, then distributed the armors to the npcs. However, the meshes and textures will not be included in the package, the user will need to download them in their own page.

49 minutes ago, phillout said:

Seems to me the written permissions part would trump the tab.

1 hour ago, kilmol8 said:

On the topic of the nexus, what was going through their heads when they made the change?

Really... I want to know.

Don't underestimate the power of brute-force marketing. 

Some time ago I was working with one of those hardcore, borderline scam artist, marketing guys. When I've looked at the product features and the texts he has put on the table (some bunch of heavy-pressure messaging alpha-style, "do this or you lose", pushing people to pay, practically twisting user's arms), I've looked at him puzzled, "are you fucking kidding me? this won't work, people aren't that stupid". He laughed - "trust me, they are. It will work. Just trust me, okay?". I've shrugged - he trusted me in the architecture design completely, so trusting him in his field of work seemed fair.

And yes, it worked later, just like he said. 

What I'm saying is that while you may be right when you describe your reaction at this very moment, other peoples reactions at different moments and states might vary a lot. It's all about big numbers.

What the fuck is this shit?

Capture.PNG.713d3c7523ed5f8b6494f6c3b7673395.PNG

huck·ster
/ˈhəkstər/
noun
noun: huckster; plural noun: hucksters
  1. a person who sells small items, either door-to-door or from a stall or small store.
    • a mercenary person eager to make a profit out of anything.
    • NORTH AMERICAN
      a publicity agent or advertising copywriter, especially for radio or television, or Nexus Mods.
verb
NORTH AMERICAN
verb: huckster; 3rd person present: hucksters; past tense: huckstered; past participle: huckstered; gerund or present participle: huckstering
  1. promote or sell (something, typically a product of questionable value).
    • bargain; haggle.

The 2fa is at least optional, but the forced password change auto logged you out and actually potentially locked people's accounts. "Potentially", because the only way to hear about it is for those peeps to make a new account and bitch about it, which is ironically against Nexus' rules and would get the new account banned lmao. Hope you still have access to your old email address, Jimmy! :V

On 12/15/2019 at 11:12 AM, jmd2018 said:

dvdsvv.PNG.7e821459977ed70963cf830167c97690.PNG

Theres also actual daily limits too, they introduced them shadily not long ago with the new mod manager API.

THIS is another stupid, but understandable change (that they likewise did not notify anyone about at all). Like, boo daily caps in general, but ffs the person trying to download 2400+ files a day probably needs an intervention.

Even if it was just for archival purposes, like... you clearly have NASA tech to even partially pull that. If anyone could afford to support server costs (and keep this kind of bullshit from happening to the rest of us), it's the NASA guy. e__e

On 12/16/2019 at 6:32 PM, 27X said:

I got a answer from the Nexus team that this is indeed the case. According to them, it is not a violation if I link the assets (meshes and textures) into my own esp. For now, the issue was clarified.

Penalizing users with annoying obstacles only furthers their likelihood of ever supporting the site. This was a completely stupid decision between the site owner (D0) and his web designer(s). It doesn't help incentivize users to feel motivated to pitch in to fund the site. Fighting against adblock is nothing but a losing battle. What he should be doing is looking for ways to incentivize users by offering a bit of that reward as a tease to get people onboard. You know, like companies do when they give you a free trial of the service with full access for a period of time.

This is straight up bad marketing.

13 hours ago, Darkening Demise said:

Did they lower the DL speed to charge us premium speed recently?

Download speeds have been throttled for non-premium members for years.

I kind of regret deleting my old account which had tens of thousands of unique downloads, because then I wouldn't have to see the new ads.  But I use Ublock Origin, so I don't see them anyway.

If websites would stop running advertisements which are so aggressive they are the eqivalent of malware they might find fewer people use ad-blockers.  I don't use an adblocker, but my browser security settings prevent me from seeing any advertisements on the Nexus.  I can see the advertisements here on Loverslab, but don't allow autoplay.  Instead of trying to force people to pay them, Nexus might be better off policing their advertisers.

Archived