What music do you listen to?

It makes me sad, though, how little new music I listen to these days.  I got into Dark Country for a while because of the Rebel Galaxy soundtrack, and got into Electro Swing because of that club song in Diamond City Expansion, but nothing new ever really sticks with me.  I find myself listening to the same stuff I listened to 20+ years ago.  I'll suddenly get obsessed with some band like Berlin and pull out my old CDs and listen to them until my wife is threatening to kill me, then move on to another one.

20 hours ago, Pork Type said:

il, fellow early Gen Xer.

I grew up listening to a mix of late Beatles, and Paul McCartney and the Wings. To the point that I believed Uncle Albert was a family member...

...But no Buddy Holly.

Not to take away from your own childhood. 70s and 80s... What a time to be alive. Unregulated childhood!

But don't you think, maybe, perhaps, there's a bit of personal bias happening here.

Because every time I hear ^ THAT song, I get flashbacks of being a toddler.

And, Yes. The Beatles (and many more) influenced my musical tastes.

But, no sign of Buddy Holly.

Wouldn't he have been a universal household icon, like Paul McCartney, by 1970, If he was really that feckin' great?

You need to remember, Buddy Holly died in 1959. Nearly 15 to 20 years prior to when you and I were discovering music for ourselves. By then, he was most definitely NOT being played on the popular radio programs. Top 40 shows were all the rage, and none of us were listening to the boring old peoples stations which if I recall correctly played mostly classical with a smattering of jazz and folk with the odd hour of 50's rock and roll.

Most of our peers never heard Buddy Holly because our parents didn't grow up listening to him on the radio top 40 shows so did not buy his records, and neither did we. So, yes I was fortunate to be exposed to his music at a young age, but that does not change the fact that my own musical heroes often cited Buddy Holly at one of their greatest influences and inspirations. This includes the Beatles members and the Rolling Stones as well as artists like Eric Clapton and David Bowie.

What's being played on the radio plays a huge part in the people and music that the current generation listens to, don't forget that these days huge numbers of kids have no bloody clue who Paul McCartney is.

I listen to a lot of different types of music. Some artists on my currently most listened to playlist include: 

• Within Temptation
  • Disturbed
  • Svrcina
  • Skillet
  • Imagine Dragons
  • Nightwish
  • Bastille
  • Enya

And "The Curse" from the old Feature Films for Families movie Rigoletto. Loved that movie.

Music is important to me. I love to sing and have a decent voice, but I don't like singing in front of people (and, due to nervousness, if anyone is listening or if I'm trying to record myself, I never sound as good as when I'm singing to myself or my dog anyway). I learned to play the piano, flute, and piccolo when I was a kid but I haven't played the piano in several years since my keyboard died on me (still pull out my flute or piccolo every now and then). It's especially important for me to have music playing (in particular, music I can sing along with) when I'm driving as it helps me stay calm and focused. 

I found a country song that I like:

I think this really displays the best of what the genre has to offer. Ya know, it tells a story that I believe everyone can relate to – that is, of a man with a serious hankering for pussy – and that's always important in a country song. He's got that twang, gotta have that twang. He uses actual instruments and not that fucking snapping sample that every new country song has instead of actual drums. It's catchy as fuck, always important. Plus, it's got a-FUCKING-mazing lyrics. For example, "beggars can't be choosin'/ When the bar starts to close" is some real shit. Sometimes ya just gotta grab whatever hick bitch is available, even if she "could lose a few" and has "saggy titties".

All in all, I'd give this song a fuck/yeah. 

24 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

Yes. Contrary to what most people think, it is a term coined by an American newspaper (NY Times I think).

About 10 miles from where I live.

http://www.blitzkriegmusic.com/tour/grimm-up-north-festival/

LOL, how can a German word from America descend?
Blitzkrieg will the first time mentioned in World War II. :classic_wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg

I suspect the Americans stole that word :classic_laugh:

28 minutes ago, winny257 said:

LOL, how can a German word from America descend?
Blitzkrieg will the first time mentioned in World War II. :classic_wink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blitzkrieg

I suspect the Americans stole that word :classic_laugh:

It was used in a newspaper headline at the time of the Fall of France (might have been Poland though). The Germans never had a doctine called 'Blitzkrieg'. It's more of 'schlacht' or 'kampf' than a 'krieg' is it not? :/

49 minutes ago, Grey Cloud said:

How can you have a new wave of traditional?

Not to be taken literal I suppose. It is a play on the "New wave of British heavy metal" that the media coined in the early 80's. So fans of Iron maiden, Tank, Angel witch, etc, are more likely to check out a new band under the nwoThm tag than just the traditional tag as that is more reflective of Judas priest, Black sabbath, etc.

3 minutes ago, Distortedrealms said:

Not to be taken literal I suppose. It is a play on the "New wave of British heavy metal" that the media coined in the early 80's. So fans of Iron maiden, Tank, Angel witch, etc, are more likely to check out a new band under the nwoThm tag than just the traditional tag as that is more reflective of Judas priest, Black sabbath, etc.

Ah, the media and ah, the 80s. :confounded: