My interest in Starfield is:  

149 members have voted

1. 1. My interest in Starfield is:

• Looks interesting. I may very well get it. (Or definitely will get it)
    • It's Bethesda. I'm skeptical.
    • The fact that it is fully moddable may have piqued my interest some.
    • What a waste of time and money!

This poll is closed to new votes

I will be getting Starfield! 

Why? Because its a genre that I actually want to LIVE in. TES is fun with magic and dragons but has no toilet paper and internet. Fallout is futuristic but everything is blown up, dirty, and depressing. Starfield is humanity 300 years in the future, I want an adult sim about that.

Some notes:

Gameplay reveal should be in early June, most likely the Xbox Showcase on June 12.

Starfield will use BGS new Creation Engine 2. This will be the same engine they use for TES6.  They are ditching Havok for a new animation system among many other upgrades.

Manual spaceflight is confirmed, so vehicles will be a thing. 

The guy who made the Helgen Reborn mod will be modding Starfield. Same for the modder of the unofficial patch. 

Juicehead put out an excellent video recently about "Everything we know about Starfield" which is really good.

And here is the Bethesda Starfield page which has videos that have dev discussion and concept arts plus the E3 2018 and 2021 teasers. 

https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfield/media?type=video

Cyberpunk under-delivered its open world visually and QA. Since this is Bethesda whose reputation of making bugtastic games are legendary and the delay came after a reported Xbox review I am guessing it's not QA but that Microsoft saw actual game play and told them it won't cut the mustard as a "next gen" flagship title after UE5's open worlds making rounds all over Internet. 

For me, I definitely will NOT pre-purchase the game. Never did in fact with any game, since FO4 ^^

I have to admit though, that I'm somewhat hyped, as I really like the way Beth breathes life into their environments. Speaking of the map and the world itself, not the stories.

With that in mind, I can imagine that the game will be great to explore, with many small easter eggs and surprises to discover. In addition to potentially manual space flight, that could be awesome.

Another point is the full mod-ability. I think one of the biggest points (if not the biggest) why Skyrim still is THAT popular, is its huge mod community. If they provide a similar thing for Starfield and the community jumps on, this could make way for some new jaw-dropping things (thinking of Enderal and alike)

What holds me back a bit is the lore. Of course, nothing's really given away, but it seems to be at least partly like they try to compete with games like Star Citizen and exploration is a key part of the whole. If they really are able to provide a feature-rich map to explore, it will be fun. If it's more like you're just idling through space, searching for loot on asteroids or if 80% of the planets are just generic emptiness: not so much.

Oh, and I do hope for something like Star Wars spaceship battles, when there's manual control. Let's see...

So no, I will not pre-purchase the game, but I'm eager to see what they will bring to us and what the community will do with it.

PS: and yes, I'm totally hoping that the LoversLab community will do its thing ^^ I mean, there are bandit/raider factions, a "better AI" which may give away some kind of partnership and aliens ...

2 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

Starfield delayed: most likely Bethesda did their half-assed usual and Microsoft said 'ecks dee Todd nice try.  Go back and finish the fucking game.'

Ah, if only I could believe that. ?

For me it's not even a question of whether I would get it or not; I definitely will. It's tradition, as much as anything. It's a Beth RPG so I'm going to put time aside to play through the quests, even though I know I will be critical and underwhelmed afterwards. As for modding, we'll have to see. 

10 hours ago, Kendo 2 said:

Starfield delayed: most likely Bethesda did their half-assed usual and Microsoft said 'ecks dee Todd nice try.  Go back and finish the fucking game.'

I believe that is likely. They (Microsoft) doesn't want the bullshit that has been happening with many companies included the much beloved CD Project Red to happen with their IPs. Likely it was such a bullshit job that the decisions (beyond Bethesda) decided they did a shit job and had to go back and doing again.  Kind of like your mother making you go back and clean your room due to the shitty job you did the first time. Except, you most likely learn from this that it takes more time to do a shitty job and have to rework it again and again than do do a fair decent job the first time. ;)

Been playing Oblivion a lot again. I honestly forget how well it was made compared to Skyrim. I think I'll avoid Starfield at this rate. Fallout 4 and Skyrim were just casual adventure games with tacky RPG elements. They need to go back to the old school to get my attention. I think Hogwarts Legacy is more interesting and that's coming from someone who never liked Hairy Pothead.

At t his point, I don't look to play their games for an RPG experience. IF I were to ever consider buying another Fallout or TES game (or even Starfield for that matter) it would be with the only intent of modding it and treating it as a open world simulator. When it came to Skryim (and New Vegas for that matter despite it being developed by Obsidian), I never cared about the protagonist, protagonist's super powers, the main story, nor the war. All I cared about was just venturing landscape and killing shit. Not once did Skyrim provide that Woah! factor like it did with Fallout 3 when the moment I stepped out into the wasteland for the first time from the vault. However, considering they like to update their games with new creation content for their gimmick shop, that's definitely a drawback. I miss the good old days when modding was niche. What a different and a more enjoyable time that was.

On 4/29/2022 at 11:10 PM, Kendo 2 said:

IF I buy it (big IF) it will have to be after I've seen real game play by real people, not Youtube shills.  After all of the lies and broken promises are exposed, the Creation Kit is released, and it's on sale; then I might buy it.  Let's all be real here; it's going to be a Bethesda game made by Bethesda devs. i.e. a broken buggy cluster fuck with a shit story and radiant quests to pad out the playtime.  Like any other Bethesda game, modders will do their thing.  I didn't bother because I was cheated out of $60 for FO4 and I'm not going to get burned again.  Bethesda cured me of the 'fear of missing out'.

Preorder; evidently FO76 didn't teach some people their lesson.  In less than a month the game was half price.

Season Pass; Did the two real dlcs and the $10 packs (that should have been free updates) pull their weight for FO4?  NOPE.

I believe you forgot something. At least for me this is a major issue.

If Bethesda requires you to register for their system to get the game and do any mods then that would be a serious "nope" as that would at least in my opinion, seriously hinder or even restrict many serious modders as Bethesda will likely prevent many features to be added to the game. I am not even talking about restricting adult content. I am talking about the tools that were added to many games through script extenders and the like. Most users might not be aware of how much added functionality was given to the game from that.  For them, check the mods requirement. If it requires any Script extender or other "framework" then you wouldn't have those mods in Bethesda's ecosystem.

i will follow ll and see which mods are getting released... basically mods will decide if i buy it or not.

for example, fo is newer than skyrim but fo does not offer any significant improvements or breakthroughs... anything that is possible in fo is also doable in skyrim, therefore the modding community did not bother to jump over.

i would love to see something like new collision systems and what ll would do with it

Edited by 0wnyx

Can't wait for the staff here to put anyone on blast who questions Starfield on their Smersh/Gestapo super secret site watch list (yeah, that's a thing and they're proud of it).  @DoctaSax will get to rub his hate-boner against anyone who disagrees with him; @CPU can split threads so everyone that slobbers over Bethesda can be 'right' and everyone with common fucking sense can be deemed a 'hater' and be shamefully relegated to their own 'Starfield for Haters' thread....that will get 6x the engagement of the shill threads and posters he loves and protects.  Not that it hasn't happened before or anything. https://www.loverslab.com/topic/75169-mass-effect-andromeda-for-haters/  Tell me it won't play out like that; pretty-please-with-fucking-sugar-on-it,

19 minutes ago, Kendo 2 said:

Can't wait for the staff here to put anyone on blast who questions Starfield on their Smersh/Gestapo super secret site watch list (yeah, that's a thing and they're proud of it).  @DoctaSax will get to rub his hate-boner against anyone who disagrees with him; @CPU can split threads so everyone that slobbers over Bethesda can be 'right' and everyone with common fucking sense can be deemed a 'hater' and be shamefully relegated to their own 'Starfield for Haters' thread....that will get 6x the engagement of the shill threads and posters he loves and protects.  Not that it hasn't happened before or anything. https://www.loverslab.com/topic/75169-mass-effect-andromeda-for-haters/  Tell me it won't play out like that; pretty-please-with-fucking-sugar-on-it,

This thread can progress for a while like this.

No harm done yet.

P.S. I think it derailed after the first post, but it is still acceptable.

Edited by CPU
Added a P.S.
  • Psalam locked this topic