"What are you playing" thread

So, remember that Duke Nukem spiritual successor with a female lead called Ion Maiden?

Some washed up old rockers no one's heard about in twenty years raised a stink about the name, and it's now called "Ion Fury"

Facepalm.gif.1f48f3ba02bd4c1da03072f128f3cf01.gif

Regardless, it's got a release date a month from now.

Spoiler

On 7/15/2019 at 6:22 AM, ToJKa said:

So, remember that Duke Nukem spiritual successor with a female lead called Ion Maiden?

Some washed up old rockers no one's heard about in twenty years raised a stink about the name, and it's now called "Ion Fury"

Hide contents

They can not even own the words Iron Maiden let alone Ion Maiden as it is the name of an ancient torture device. At best, they can have it as a trademark on their band and its music. They didn't really have a case but there is not a whole lot that an indie studio can do as they don't have extra wads of cash lying around to fight against frivolous lawsuits over game names.

On 7/15/2019 at 6:22 AM, ToJKa said:

Reveal hidden contents

Well I'm sure the original title will at least be restored as a mod option, using assets from the early access version. I've already backed up my copy and started looking into it, since I did a ton of modding for Duke Nukem back in the day.

I've managed to extract the .art, since the main asset file is little more than a zip folder. Hit a bit of a snag though: Ion Maiden's .art file is close to 80 times the size of Duke's .art files! The tools used to edit those files are all from the 90s and early 2000s. The windows based editors aren't too fond of 64 bit OS systems and the original DOS editing tool chokes to death trying boot up an 80 meg file. But I'll keep looking into it. For now I think I just leave the DOS tool on its loading screen and see if it eventually finishes loading.

Right, it's a problem using tools from those days in W10. Ran into that with Eternal Doom installer.

Since it uses assets from the original Doom2.wad they couldn't distribute it "finished", instead they wrote a patcher program that extracted the required resources from the IWad and wrote the final version on your hard drive. Pretty clever, but the program was written on 16bit times so there's no way to run it natively on a 64 bit OS.

That was easy enough to solve with DOSBox though.

I should replay Eternal Doom some day, it has the greatest maps ever created for Classic Doom.

The cathedral (Dark Dome) especially. Which incidentally is the end of the first episode, and there's somewhat of a drop in quality after that.

Oh great, I just read that the Early Access version of Ion Maiden encrypted the .art file, being the devs didn't want people to be able to access the game's art assets until after the official release. So prying it open to get the original title art might be next to impossible.

But that won't stop me from getting in-game screenshots of the original title artwork, heh.

Meanwhile in Battletech...

Getting back to it after quite a while. Random, easy, half-skull mission. I send a Locust to scout out the enemy with four evasion charges, turns out to be a Centurion A. Enemy turn, the Centurion fires it's AC at the Locust, probability says it'll miss. Headshot, mech wrecked, pilot dead.

What did i ever do to you, RNGesus? :classic_sad:

Finally got ePSXe to work so I'm going back and playing games I haven't touched in years. The only problem is I no ISO I create from my games will work so I'm stuck using the actual discs. Actually, compared to my (23-year-old) console, the computer works better even with discs. :classic_tongue:

2 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Actually, compared to my (23-year-old) console, the computer works better even with discs. :classic_tongue:

Yeah, when the PS1 came out console developers were still deep in working out the kinks of optical disk based consoles. Great game library, clunky machine. Mine died just in time for the next generation of consoles to come out so I never bothered to replace it. Plus I adopted emulation early on, beat that fan translated version of FF5 a year before the inferior PS1 port came, hehe. You should have seen how awful PS1 emulation was in its beta days. Ever played SOTN but Richter is a giant rainbow square swinging a chain of smaller rainbow squares?:yum:

Noticed an Everspace stream on Steam last night. Why didn't i know about that game earlier, dammit!

It's good to be in space again, blowing up pirates and aliens :classic_happy:

Edit: The fuck? Even TotalBiscuit made a video about it. Well, then i have no explanation nor excuse for missing it. Bad ToJKa! :classic_sad:

Spoiler

No matter how bored I feel, someone should have slapped me silly for buying Prey on Steam for 8 bucks. With 2 CTDs and a full lockup later in 2 hours of play, just because of an address issue? 3 full saves (not quick saving), and only the first one shows up, back at the beginning? Lost sound for 3 minutes on last attempt to play, then my mouse stopped working until a complete game lockup?

Think I need my money back on this POS....

Decided to give Shantae: Risky's Revenge a try. It was cheap and hard to turn down a Leia slave bikini costume.

They tried to pull that "Well you have to beat the game first before you're allowed to use the alternate costume" crap on me:

Image5.png.d0b49bb144dd72dd5c2099cf1153e369.png

I disagreed.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been playing a lot of Soul Calibur 6 now that Cassadra has been released. In case that wasn't obvious:

More videos of my CaCs in action for anyone that cares. Just don't expect tournament level gameplay?:

Spoiler

Looks like Ion Maiden gets its full release this week. Will have to check that out. Wonder if you will be able to convert Duke maps to it and if it will be open scripted? I did quite a bit of modding for Duke Nukem 3d, especially porting custom coded enemies from other games. Could end up taking a serious trip down memory lane.

Hopefully SNK gets Samurai Showdown released for the Switch before the last week of October. I'd like to have it for a trip I'm taking then.

In anticipation of doing a little modding work for the EDuke engine I dusted off some of my old enemy mods for Duke Nukem and recorded some videos of them in action. I never public released those mods due to it being back in the 90s when I only had a potato modem for internet.

Warning: Lots of shooting guns, explosions and Nat-Sees yelling at the player. Not for quiet moments:

I created a blog entry showing some more. However be warning its mostly just technical showcasing of enemies I programmed over to Duke, rather the fleshed out stages:

On 8/18/2019 at 3:40 AM, MrEsturk said:

In anticipation of doing a little modding work for Ion Fury after I complete the game I dusted off some of my old enemy mods for Duke Nukem and recorded some videos of them in action. I never public released those mods due to it being back in the 90s when I only had a potato modem for internet.

Warning: Lots of shooting guns, explosions and Nat-Sees yelling at the player. Not for quiet moments:

I created a blog entry showing some more. However be warning its mostly just technical showcasing of enemies I programmed over to Duke, rather the fleshed out stages:

The devs just modded Ion Fury further to edit out content far more 'problematic' than the title due to complaints from people at ResetEra who probably wouldn't be into First Person Shooters in the first place.

That is just another reminder as to why one should not buy Early Access games nor 'Get Hype' for any reason.

And also wait for few months after release to see what kind of monetisation the publisher sneaks in to avoid ufavorable reviews and those bothersome PEGI and ESRB ratings, and what sort of cave-ins the outrage culture causes.

It used to be a nice hobby we had.

On 8/20/2019 at 11:31 AM, FauxFurry said:

The devs just modded Ion Fury further to edit out content far more 'problematic' than the title due to complaints from people at ResetEra who probably wouldn't be into First Person Shooters in the first place.

That is just another reminder as to why one should not buy Early Access games nor 'Get Hype' for any reason.

Oh I'm well aware. Annoyed about it beyond words. Can't get a refund, but thankfully I at least bought it on heavy sale (only about 10$). I created a patch that will put censored stuff back in. Not sure if I will continue playing due to the back taste in my mouth, but I can at least give them the middle finger in the form of the patch.

And of course the tumor known as the ResetEra community took their apology and threw it right back in their faces, so they've made their bed. EDIT: And the developers realized ResetEra doesn't buy games so they decided to backpedal on the censorship. So there's that at least.

Welp, while 3dRealms was enjoying the fruits of surrendering their dignity to a gaggle of pedo apologists that rewarded them by telling its still not good enough I'm getting my Build Engine fix with a really promising Duke Nukem expansion mod called Alien Armageddon:

duke0012.png.c0a948dca0008350cb19a332b2a893ee.png

Still on the rather large first stage but so far everything is looking good. New weapons, enemies, and visual effects. Plenty of fanservice and cheesy humor. A second playable character I haven't unlocked yet. Higher resolution graphic mode option. NSFW content. Developers that aren't beholden to spineless executives who will re-educate... I mean send them to "Sensitivity Training" courses. And completely free if you have a copy of Duke Nukem lying around. Now this is more like the 90s era game industry I remember.

More screenshots:

Spoiler

duke0001.png.2586ef9d2f4f4888674c39b2c80ed148.pngduke0002.png.644f4a3233d69775f8f0d918cc0bf840.pngduke0007.png.8ad44f8b050125a51a971cb458cedf74.pngduke0004.png.31c00fe8f02f0c9a5a25eb5d0c9d2837.pngduke0005.png.fbe2d6345d34a27c22614159cd737aec.pngduke0009.png.8498f30f330f4cd7e36519ee58ef945d.png

I've been playing the demo of Oh So Hero! and I have to say that it is one of the smoothest playing adult platformers in development at the moment.

74502938_OhSoHero!PreEditionV0_10.004(win64-bit)Screenshot2019_08.26-13_19_27_43.thumb.png.b80e0ed5571abacaf885c77dd27f0aa9.png489041330_OhSoHero!PreEditionV0_10.004(win64-bit)Screenshot2019_08.26-13_07_20_75.thumb.png.54825437217a547c5c76603bf025a968.png862747448_OhSoHero!PreEditionV0_10.004(win64-bit)Screenshot2019_08.26-13_07_02_14.thumb.png.5e11345864bb65741a49d87eadaf805b.png

It is too bad that there is no gender variations beyond the standard male in the game but I get the impression that if any other sex or gender were present in the game as it is, it could see some major backlash. After all, a possible special move finisher for one's stun combo on one enemy type is flat-out anal rape while another is of questionable consent (whether when on the giving or deceiving end).

Spoiler

1445863919_OhSoHero!PreEditionV0_10.004(win64-bit)Screenshot2019_08.26-13_23_44_21.thumb.png.5fc5311bbefe1a191ee222c56e81c755.png1948722768_OhSoHero!PreEditionV0_10.004(win64-bit)Screenshot2019_08.26-13_22.46_22.thumb.png.3a6ab6b8b08890281340ed636372df71.png1611960712_OhSoHero!PreEditionV0_10.004(win64-bit)Screenshot2019_08.26-13_21_22_13.thumb.png.1fe2ee2b6aecb33998ea69a982ebbc4f.png

gave up on FFXIV again will probably go back to play it in again in like a year from now. I am now going between Elder Scrolls Online, Death end re;Quest, Star Wars the Old Republic

Been thinking of getting the new Soul Calibur, also wonder if there will be any mods for Soul Calibur

2 minutes ago, Hiderius said:

gave up on FFXIV again will probably go back to play it in again in like a year from now. I am now going between Elder Scrolls Online, Death end re;Quest, Star Wars the Old Republic

Been thinking of getting the new Soul Calibur, also wonder if there will be any mods for Soul Calibur

If you are wondering if there are mods for Soul Calibur 6, wonder no longer.

https://www.nexusmods.com/soulcaliburvi

https://www.undertow.club/forums/adult-mods.97/