"What are you playing" thread

While I wait for Bloodstained to come out next week I've been mostly playtesting a primitive fangame I've been making based off the orginial Zelda game. Only got about 2 weeks progress on it, haven't even added any sound yet. But it is coming along nicely I think at least:

It will be free if I release it publicly. It is mainly just a "for fun" project that uses a lot of public domain assets and editing old game art. My main skill is coding with a bunch of art/sound slight-of-hand parlor tricks on the side. So this project is something to hone my skills on and use towards my credentials. A lot of software base stuff going on in the video: custom coding for the collision (no rigid bodies used), animation system, palette swapping, a custom RNG system, etc. The box on the right is planned for a HUD: a way to use the full space of the common 16:9 without making the gameplay screens horizontally stretched out.

1 hour ago, assassin394 said:

I'm currently playing total war three kingdom. But knowing the lewd loverslab populations. you all probably not interest in strategy games.

Users here may not be interested in making strategy games more 'lewd' (outside of the already suggestively named Mount and Blade, Crusader Kings or X-Com)but that doesn't mean that they don't play strategy titles in the 'right' way.

Well, part of it might be the inability to 'lewd' some of the most popular strategy game series very easily, be it Disgaea (okay, this series already can be somewhat lewd on its own), Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics, or Romance of Three Kingdoms.

So I got Bloodstained for the Switch. As reported there are some performance issues still being worked out, but nothing that renders the game unenjoyable, much less unplayable, for me thus far. Just some minor load times and choppiness. Graphic's quality is certainally inferior to the PC version, but that is to be expected. Guess that's the price I pay for getting it on a portable system.

One thing is for certain: O.D. is definitely not Alucard voiced by Alucard's original English voice actor. And....

2019062617543200-F95B57762E79CABDA198AE6BBDC6C7D5.jpg.5de908b927f17a89429ab65277ef5e92.jpg

2019062619202200-F95B57762E79CABDA198AE6BBDC6C7D5.jpg.b8c49444ba187bcab21550186f06beac.jpg

....wow.... I never realized crowdfunding rewards could get so weird....

On 6/28/2019 at 1:42 PM, ToJKa said:

Remember to always do it with style

-pic-

Haven't got far enough in the game to have an established fashion statement just yet. Here's what I got so far, partially for the stats:

2019062820061800-F95B57762E79CABDA198AE6BBDC6C7D5.jpg.cf50371ada3c8165abb25aed8fe4c66f.jpg2019062820073900-F95B57762E79CABDA198AE6BBDC6C7D5.jpg.2bcf581c1ddf3a52b48acc077fb75db1.jpg

Decided to go with a green palette since everyone else and their mother is using red or blue. The Switch version really needs to clean up the shader used for character closeups. Its a mess right now.

Also, here's a nice glitchy animation that happens if you ride the chariot in Shovel Knight form:

2019062820043400-F95B57762E79CABDA198AE6BBDC6C7D5.jpg.ca99a8709714fab7030b2b5833bc03ed.jpg

EDIT: Ohhh, I found a Macuahuitl. I find myself strangely fascinated with that weapon, its like the Aztecs combined a machete with a saw blade. Given how successful Bloodstained has been I also wonder how long it will be before some Konami pushes out some outsourced Castlevania rpg of its own trying to cash in...

tried to play Baldur gate. As for me, it looks very outdated.  And the point is not in graphics, but in the fact that there is not enough interactivity with the world, as well as a terrible interface.

Although, quite recently, I passed the game Balrum, which is simply excellent. There is craft, story, riddles and exploration of the world ...  And most importantly, all this has interactivity.

Played a bit of the public beta of Xen in Black Mesa. That alien dimension is just beautiful.

Imagine if Bloware had been competent enough to make Andromeda like that ?

Spoiler

Also finally played the Burial At Sea DLCs for Bioshock Infinite. I was hyped to something greater, but i suppose it plays the part of the circular multiverse story, and provides a conclusion for the Bioshock franchise. Seemed liked quite a standard story of revenge taken too far and seeking redemption for it ?‍♂️

So I ended up getting tired of Bloodstained's lackluster Switch port and grabbed the Steam version. Plus the modding options were too tempting. Found a mod to get rid of those stupid shorts and made a custom lipstick/facepaint mod for myself:

604109347_bandicam2019-07-0518-06-06-053.png.0a9966d0be68165bb70845d4811428df.png

I wanted to create my own skin tone, but that would require more of a headache than I felt like dealing with, due to the way the game's shaders reflect colored light off everything. For example I tried to replace the blue skin option with a much darker "Drow" blue skin option. But that just made her look like she was wearing a reflective cyan skin gloss smeared all over her that completely clashed with her new skin tone.

They are Billions finally released it's campaign mode. That is a game i'd like to like, but i just can't think big enough to survive it.

I took great pains to learn tactics other than spamming tanks back in the days of Command and Conquer, but this game requires exactly that :classic_laugh:

7 hours ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

haven't seriously played anything in a while.  Picked up Red Dead Redemption II on the PS4, but just didn't care for it anymore.  I've beaten the first game, though.

I still got The Last Guardian and GTA 5, but I can't find any motivation to start those games either.  The console's been collecting dust for weeks.  Is my love for gaming beginning to wane after nearly three decades, or am I just jaded?

Maybe I just need to breakdown and get a gaming PC.

I've found myself having virtually no interest in the AAA gaming selection in recent years. Part of it I'm sure just what a trainwreck most of the AAA devs have become, but I also think part of it is the age gap effect. I find myself much more interested in indie titles that mimic older genres such as Bloodstained, the upcoming Trials of Mana remake, and an upcoming spiritual successor to Contra called Blazing Chrome. I often joke that I'm like the gamer equivalent to that old guy who prefers watching movies from the 1960s.

14 minutes ago, Doctor Cadaver said:

If only said AAA devs could go back to their roots instead of being fueled by greed, we wouldn't have to rely so much on the indie scene to help fill that "void".

Might just be that time for some of the more hopeless current AAA devs to slowly get phased out and replaced by some of the better indie studios. Which in turn will succumb to the same too-bloated&greedy-for-their-own-good corruption over a few decades and then be replaced themselves. All part of the natural cycle.

There's too much money in it for it to ever return to what it was. Some indie devs may try and succeed to capture the spirit of old, (and then sell out to Epic or get kidnapped into an EA deathcamp) but this is the shit it will be going forward.

On topic, Tales of Berseria.

A shame she became a likable character so late in the storyline, but better late than never, i guess. At least Magilou has been a reliable, constant source of chuckles and facepalms :classic_laugh: And turned out there was a real character behind there too.

All that is left is to do the traditional jRPG thing, and kill a god. My favorite part of them, really :classic_smile: Especially that incredible asshole.

7 hours ago, ToJKa said:

On topic, Tales of Berseria.

A shame she became a likable character so late in the storyline, but better late than never, i guess. At least Magilou has been a reliable, constant source of chuckles and facepalms :classic_laugh: And turned out there was a real character behind there too.

All that is left is to do the traditional jRPG thing, and kill a god. My favorite part of them, really :classic_smile: Especially that incredible asshole.

How else could have it gone in what is essentially a gender-swapped Berserk RPG? Guts and Puck (or in that case Velvet and Magilou)are a  fool and straight man/Boke and Tsukkomi routine in a dark fantasy setting.

As such, Guts/Velvet have to be surly and irascible through most of the storyline, only softening up in the home stretch of the story after their merry band has grown on them (possibly right before they are all killed off).

Perhaps so, but my entire apartment building doesn't have enough fingers to count how many times i've said "Stop being such crazy bitch, bitch!" ?

At least the final dungeon finally had somewhat worthwhile music. Kind of disappointed in that aspect ?‍♂️

Motoi Sakuraba? Didn't sound like his style at all. Until heavenly Steppe ?

Edit: Well, that could have ended a lot worse than it did.

On to the next sales jRPG: Ni No Kuni II. At least the style is adorable :classic_happy: