Does anyone use shouts?

Simple question

I dont know if it's my mod setting, my playstyle or shouts simply suck, but it's only efter years of modding, that I've come with some mod recipe that make shouts mildly useful.

Seriously, I want to know is it just me, or they're absolutely useless without serious modding?

They do less than tickles to high level enemies, you're probably doing them a favor by shouting, it's a sweet caress that doesnt even begin to bother their massive HP

Unrelenting Force has its uses I give you that,

But the objective of every fight is to kill your opponent, UF has you having to chase them to wherever you send them flying before you can kill them. You can always push people off mountains, but then you dont get to loot them unless you go down where they fell. Not to mention the first 2 shouts are absolute garbage that barely buy you an extra second of pause in battle if you're in serious need of it.

All the "damage" shouts can hardly call that "damage"

Ice Form is more useful to give you a battle break, but it's still anooying yo have to wait for the ice to melt to be able to kill something.

Only the quest shouts are somewhat more useful, dragonrend ofc to make dragons stop annoying you by flying where you cant hit them, and bend will to make you a dragon rider.

And if that wasn't enough, still gotta wait like 2 hours for any shout to fully recharge, for what; ticlking enemies again? No thanks, swords, arrows and magic work way better and you dont have to wait for those.

TL;DR, skyrim shouting sucks

So, is this just me or shouts are really that bad?

How come I see people using them on YT like they're something important? Once saw a vid named "how to beat Skyrim without shouts" like it was even a big deal.

I want to know, are shouts shitty or it's just me that never could learn to play with them?

For the longest I didn't really care about it. Still kinda don't. I do use them more often now. But it always annoyed me that ward spells can block shouts. Found that to be really stupid. I do get a thrill when I shout enemies off a tower. I guess the point was never to make the PC powerful, which is understandable, but wards blocking shouts? That was one of the reasons why I didn't care about it in the past. If there is a shout that I like it's the slow down time shout.

15 minutes ago, Myst42 said:

Simple question

I dont know if it's my mod setting, my playstyle or shouts simply suck, but it's only efter years of modding, that I've come with some mod recipe that make shouts mildly useful.

Seriously, I want to know is it just me, or they're absolutely useless without serious modding?

They do less than tickles to high level enemies, you're probably doing them a favor by shouting, it's a sweet caress that doesnt even begin to bother their massive HP

Unrelenting Force has its uses I give you that,

But the objective of every fight is to kill your opponent, UF has you having to chase them to wherever you send them flying before you can kill them. You can always push people off mountains, but then you dont get to loot them unless you go down where they fell. Not to mention the first 2 shouts are absolute garbage that barely buy you an extra second of pause in battle if you're in serious need of it.

All the "damage" shouts can hardly call that "damage"

Ice Form is more useful to give you a battle break, but it's still anooying yo have to wait for the ice to melt to be able to kill something.

Only the quest shouts are somewhat more useful, dragonrend ofc to make dragons stop annoying you by flying where you cant hit them, and bend will to make you a dragon rider.

And if that wasn't enough, still gotta wait like 2 hours for any shout to fully recharge, for what; ticlking enemies again? No thanks, swords, arrows and magic work way better and you dont have to wait for those.

TL;DR, skyrim shouting sucks

So, is this just me or shouts are really that bad?

How come I see people using them on YT like they're something important? Once saw a vid named "how to beat Skyrim without shouts" like it was even a big deal.

I want to know, are shouts shitty or it's just me that never could learn to play with them?

Yes, shouts suck.

I find Dragonrend useful since dragons are much easier to defeat on the ground. Elemental Fury is useful if I'm willing to give up enchantments on my weapons (this is an option if I want to play primarily as a two-weapon fighter). The Fire Breath shout can be cool if you get Paarthunax to enhance it with his teaching and get the "Dragonborn" perk that gives you a flame wraith when you kill someone with the shout. But that's more for effect than effectiveness. Otherwise, no I don't use them.

Shouts are way too underpowered in the vanilla game. I understand that they can't program the shout to break landscapes because that'll actually break the game itself but come on, they could've been at least damaging. It wasn't until i started using Improved Dragon Shouts mod that i actually started to use shouts more often but it's like Bethesda didn't even care about the shout system to begin with.

I also don't like that you can't level your shouts in any way, it would make sense to have a perk tree for shouts entirely, or have it be a part of the speech tree to make speech useful in at least some significant way.

Like potions and racial powers and all the other buggery that gets put in those catagories. No.

I unlock them, favorite-menu them and then pretty much forget they exist, even with things like thunderchild on.

Despite playing on a PC, where we have 101 keys on a keyboard, Bethesda yet again decided to lock us into 9 hotkeys, and there's far more usefull things to put on them. Besides if'n it's immune to being smacked in the head with a firebolt or a really fucking big hammer, then it's probably immune to being yelled at too.

31 minutes ago, Mr.Otaku said:

or have it be a part of the speech tree to make speech useful in at least some significant way.

Get thee Ordinator. It does precisely that.

edit: The exception is whirlwind sprint. Mostly when over encumbered, but also for just launching yourself off High Hrothgar and landing in Whiterun when yer can't be arsed walking all the way back down the mountain.

33 minutes ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

Get thee Ordinator. It does precisely that.

edit: The exception is whirlwind sprint. Mostly when over encumbered, but also for just launching yourself off High Hrothgar and landing in Whiterun when yer can't be arsed walking all the way back down the mountain.

You mean shouts can be leveled to be more and more powerful with Ordinator? That'd be awesome. But isn't Whiterun way too far from High Hrothgar? I can't imagine the whole shout launching you from there to Whiterun in one go, unless Ordinator scales it up too.

33 minutes ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

Besides if'n it's immune to being smacked in the head with a firebolt or a really fucking big hammer, then it's probably immune to being yelled at too.

But it shouldn't be that way, shouts within the lore are mountain level to island/province level depending on who's using it, Bethesda just didn't bother with making the shouts actually lethal or scalable for who knows what reasons, probably laziness. I would expect no less from Mr. ItJustWorks.

I like to use the force push, whirlwind sprint and fire breath shouts. Kinda fun to pull out your two handed sword at about 50 meters from an enemy then using whirlwind sprint to get on top of them before they can react. They always seem to look surprised. I play on legendary difficulty and the shouts are pretty weak at that setting so I found a mod and a couple of tweaks that help a bit. First the mod. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/80865 Shouts are scaled according to the amount of unused dragon souls in your possession.

To add more souls the command is "player.modav dragonsouls amount" where amount is the number of souls you wish to add. As for the shout cooldown period this can be changed with the command "player.forceav shoutrecoverymult value" where value is the cooldown multiplier. Using a value of 0.01 makes it so that the cooldown period is virtually non-existent and you can shout again immediately.

Shouts are pretty useless, really. Other than the ones you're forced to use for story purposes, e.g. Dragon Rend, Whirlwind Sprint, Clear Skies, etc..., the only ones I use with any frequency are Unrelenting Force and Disarm. UF I usually use just as a stun to stagger spellcasters who are annoying me or interrupt dragon breath attacks. Disarm I usually use if I'm looking to subjugate a NPC for... um, shall we say, creative Sexlab purposes. I tend to semi-roleplay that kind of stuff and the Disarm shout combined with other mod-added shouts works well. 

By and large the vanilla shouts are incredibly underpowered, ridiculously situational, and generally not worth using. Half the time I even forget I have them unless my pinky slips. I don't have any mods that really change the gameplay much, and definitely nothing that alters spells or anything, so regular combat tends to be infinitely superior. 

Some perk mods indeed have shout scaling.

I used Ordinator for a long time, and more recently I changed to Vokrii and I think some of the scaling features are gone.

In any case, one still needed the proper perks for it.

As for real scaling, I've been breaking my head a lot trying to find the perfect recipe. NPC Stat rescaler has been so far one of the best things I could find, but it's still not enough to fix the core problem with Skyrim leveling.

Some other mods also have features to fix magic scaling, but shouting is a little harder to come by.

Slow time is nice too, but I was still annoyed that the cooldown, as all, was so damn long. So I deviced a personal cheat mod that gave my main char among other things, a toggleable version of the effect with better visuals. Stopping time is however, a world bending skill, overpowered beyond any reasonable concept.

Also another thing that's kind of annoying is that some thing or things in my modlist, buff dragons (deadly dragons probably) to a point where any fire breath from them, is a 1 shot kill unless the character is soaking in resistances and HP. You're supposed to be the freaking "dragonborn of legend" and you can't even match a real dragon's fire breath.

Shouts? ? Good question. I'd say: that depends on the character.  ..and the combination of other mods

E.g. in my current main game I am the dragonborn. And due to the DB story my my own characters background I do use shouts.

But basically only one from the vanilla set (Yul) and unless I decide to continue on the mainquest, the shout will remain incomplete.

In the end I know a lot of shouts from all those wall, have a few dozen dragon souls to spend but I do not spend them.

20 hours ago, donttouchmethere said:

... oh wait, those are from mods ?

+1

SLEN has a mighty shout, too. And THAT one fits perfectly in my characters setting :classic_blush:

Personally, my most used shout is Aura Whisper - no more surprise attacks and no more guesses "is someone there?". Also, it helps to search for nearby people. Next - Dragonrend, of course, to bring dragons where I can kick them in the nose. Other than those two, I don't remember using vanilla shouts much - I guess, greybeards idea of conservative shouting is contagious ?

But just yesterday I watched youtube about Slow Time shout and now am curious to try it - I rarely saw it's full power because part of it is quest locked by Civil War, and I'm not a fan of it.

I never use shouts, none of them. I don't like it, are practically useless and take a long time to recharge.
The only shouts I use are the obligatory to the missions.
Aditionally, some mods have very good shouts and my favorite is a shouts from Beastess that recharges my stamina instantly and recharge very fast. It is the only one I use daily. The rest, sometimes Virgin but not daily.