Does anyone use shouts?

The cooldown for just about any shout that isn't Dragonrend is just ridiculous. And even if you mod the cooldown down to reasonable or even machine gun levels, most shouts are simply too underpowered even when you can rapid-fire them.

They just aren't viable in vanilla (other than Dragonrend). You need mods to fix them.

Strange, I don't use them much because the useful ones, in the right situation,I find are OP.

I mean it has to be the right situation to exploit the effects but when it is, there's your win button and you might be surprised how often that situation arises.

Of course there are shouts that I also find to be mostly useless and will rarely waste souls on them.

I can understand that you think they are underpowered when compared to the Lore but the game gets so unbalanced so quickly that making the shouts anything more would just compound that issue.

• 2 months later...

I use them a bit, but only like 2-3 different shouts.

By far my favorites are:

-Fire breath, for stagger and slight damage

-Become Ethereal, to gap-close, particularly on ice mages

-Unrelenting Force, for when gravity will do more damage than I will

Otherwise a lot of them don't feel particularly effective.

Personally, if I ever bother progressing the main story far enough to even get them, I tend to get a hell of a lot of use out of Become Ethereal and Slow Time.  I tend to build squishy mages, so Become Ethereal is a fantastic "oh shit" button, and the top end of Slow Time is just fantastic for avoiding being hit without actually putting in effort.  Unrelenting Force is fun when you're high, and I very occasionally use Whirlwind Sprint for getting from ledge to ledge.  That's about it as far as vanilla shouts go, and more often than not, I don't bother getting far enough to shout.

I like shouts as they are entertaining if nothing else however, I do not like becoming the Dragon-Born as to when dragons start flying around.... the game goes to shit is a hurry.

Yes I can unlock them no-problem and sometimes do. Soul-tear is useful and effective at lower levels about 30 maybe. I do have a shout the will decimate appoints it is call Legend is will kill almost anything at any level not sure where I got it or what is from but it unlocks after I get the second word of FU-RO-DAH and then the final word unlocks it completely.

So yes I use them just not like most do AKA be Dragon-Born... I stop doing the Dragon-Born thing after I get attacked by the cultists so I can unlock Solstheim.

Between Thunderchild, Magic Nipple and the TERA armor set enchantments, I find myself using a wide variety of shouts even more than I already used Slow Time, Clear Skies,Become Ethereal, Call Dragon, Dragonrend and Throw Voice in the base game.

I use Become Ethereal to jump down mountains  and Whirlwind Sprint when overloaded ..  also that one OHKO + Soul Trap + Raise Thrall shout you learn in Dawnguard from that cursed Dragon to refill soul gems.. and the Shout to summon the dragon. Because hes a fun dude (granted, I also use a mod that buffs him, together with Ultimate Dragon I take up to 30min fighting that guy in the boneyard)

So its mostly for utility purposes, in combat I find most shouts rather weak. Using the Ultimate Dragon mod I dont need Dragon Rend, Dragons dont fly for extended periods of time anyway with that mod

• 2 months later...

The one I use the most is probably Throw Voice. It's very useful if you have "the hands of an illusionist."

Throw Voice to gather your foes to one spot, then hit them with frenzy, cast invisibility, and watch the carnage unfold. Throw Voice near a trap trigger plate, then watch your enemy catch a wall full of spikes to the face.

I'm finding that Stealth Illusionist is more fun than Stealth Archer, and probably as powerful.

• 4 weeks later...

Shout's what define Dragonborn. Although in vanilla you can get only to 80% reduction in shout cool down, i would still use mods to do that. 
I recommend Improved Dragon shouts, Dragon soul relinquishment, Thunderchild's Shout package as well as quest mod Konahriik's accountrements which lets you experience true power of Shout which is beyond comparison.

In vanilla though Slowtime, Elemental fury, Become etheral, soul tear, mark for death and Dragon summoning s are OP. Consider wearing talos amulet and Morokei mask with talos blessing and Dragon aspect you would get that 80% reduction I was talking about which lets you shout almost instantly especially when you use other shouts in combination with slowtime(since Cool down time is not relative) BTW you can increase Slow time period by consuming Fortify alteration potion. Think about possibilities even with vanilla shouting system. Its not for everyone though, I ve read comments of many underestimating power of shouts, lol, Its like Farengar says "One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible"  

On 5/1/2020 at 2:41 PM, FauxFurry said:

Between Thunderchild, Magic Nipple and the TERA armor set enchantments, I find myself using a wide variety of shouts even more than I already used Slow Time, Clear Skies,Become Ethereal, Call Dragon, Dragonrend and Throw Voice in the base game.

Those are pretty much the vanilla ones I use. Marked for death could be useful but I guess i am too impatient to bother with it. Also disarm.

Aura Whisper is the only shout I use on a regular basis, though since starting to use Frostfall I use Clear Skies more often once I get it. And with my damned right mouse key starting to fail, I can't reliably use spells in my right hand. So Animal Allegiance (for...reasons) is getting more use, too.

So I'll be the first to say shouts are overpowered ?? No I don't mean that fully. Except for the unrelenting force shout. That one is heavily overpowered. I only use the two first words. The third is too much for my taste. To push 3-4 bandits of a cliff without even drawing your sword? That's too easy.

I use aura whisper, sprint and slow time. Last one is actually overpowered too. You can deal an extreme amount of damage in no time without them being able to hit you back.

So I going to say both yes & no to this topic.

Unrelenting force (I just love watching enemies get blasted off cliffs), become ethereal for those "is this a cliff edge I see before me" or "fuck figuring out this dwemer trap" moments, dragonrend (fuck letting them fly around and waste my arrows), ABBA Dovahkiin Orgasm (shameless plug and it's only for testing purposes... honest!).

17 minutes ago, Thor2000 said:

So I'll be the first to say shouts are overpowered ??

No

On 2/4/2020 at 5:25 PM, Mez558 said:

Strange, I don't use them much because the useful ones, in the right situation,I find are OP.

:P

3 minutes ago, Yinkle said:

They are meant to be overpowered, why be "the dragonborn" if you can't shout enemies to their demise?! There must be mods out there that nerf them though :)

From what I've seen the complete opposite... They're all about making them more "effective"

25 minutes ago, Mez558 said:

From what I've seen the complete opposite... They're all about making them more "effective"

Oh dear... but maybe opportunity knocks!

New mod: word 3 of unrelenting force drains your stamina and magika to zero and slows regen for 10 minutes. It also sets your arousal to Zero!!