Are We Lonely?

7 hours ago, foreversleep said:

Yes I think so.  I know in my own case all my characters are almost painfully thin and so am I, my characters always use a sword and bow as their weapons and I trained in the sword arts when I was younger.  I do own a bow and I did use to practice with it before I became ill, so while I wasn't a great archer I still like my characters to have bow skills.  So all that sounds very much to me like I'm using my characters to do the sort of adventuring that I can't do anymore myself.  Personally I think that's a good thing and it's way better than sitting in bed staring at the wall all day.

that what you describe is completely alright, just like that I am, therefore my name "lonely Hunter".
but it is not that, what I meant with my quote.
I'm in the game not a violent character, I do not torture, I do not rape, I do not enslave, I do not kill innocent, not even animals!

off Topic

Specialty of American game developers, absolute glorification of violence and that to an extent, that some games in different countries prohibited become \ are.

17 hours ago, 27X said:

It's not the Mona Lisa or even in the same general sphere. It sounds elitist and it probably is but the majority of "screenarchery" and screenarch community is navelgazing trend-fellatio hypocrisy so profound they could tell what sex your next baby will be before it happens, and there isn't the level of talent pool to back it up, never mind all the slathered on trendy bullshit from sources completely outside of the game for those desperately desperately needed upvotes, hearts, and green numbers. If you're using faceapp, cs, gimp or anything else, you're likely not even a screenarcher, you're an upvote whore, simple as, period, and the vast majority of your content probably looks like exactly everyone else's. 3/4 view to hide the fucked left eye? check, enb settings that render your game completely unplayable? check. 8 layers of Bokeh DoF in game where camera technology doesn't exist? check. Latest CA hobbled pink and blue as fuck background down to blood red vertical shadows on what should be a sunny day at noon combined with completely blown the fuck out Chernobyl level skin luminance that makes the vaseline shots in Star trek TOS look like 8K 14bit hidef? check. The amount of the same pose, the same anim and the same lighting spot copy-paste is biblical and literally legion compared to people that just post to capture a mood, a character, or a piece of relatable context.

Yeah, there's a large gulf between creator numbers and user numbers but Skyrim and Sims carry a level of ego and entitlement that is dwarfed only by Second Life is levels of absurdity,

Well, that escalated quickly.

No offense (though your post is rather offensive), but you seem to be confusing originality and simplicity, and button pressing with knowledge.

1 - Image editing, regardless if it's done with Photoshop, The Gimp, or any other, regardless if it's done to a texture or a commercial 3x2meters poster is a discipline that requires experience and knowledge. When applied for creative purposes, those two requirements are what define an art. Graphic artists, graphic designers and so on are the professionals exercising that discipline. Without that discipline you are so blatantly shitting upon, there would be no games, no Skyrim, no Loverslab, and no screenarchery. It can take up to four years of study to form a professional graphic designer, so if you think it's a one button fix disciple I invite you to learn what you're talking about beforehand.

2 - Originality, complexity, art and value aren't related :

— Drawing a black circle on a white background isn't complex, yet you'll find that exact thing exposed in art museums. Complexity is extremely low, yet some artists even committed fully black paintings, and have museums wearing their names nowadays.

— Taking a screen requires a computer, a game, and a keyboard button. Children can do it, it's simple, and has no value but to its author. Same than taking a photo. Now, setting up a top class screen, with multiple actors, each posed, customized, lighted, with facial expressions requires considerably more patience and knowledge. Experience, knowledge and creativity are what make the difference between art and less refined applications in the matter.

So I don't see how adding a layer of creativity, experience and knowledge such as mastered image edits could decrease the value of an image in artistic terms. Nor adding them to compose a screenshot or photography itself. Logical thinking would suggest it's quite the contrary in fact. Applying creativity to it instead of just on image composition, or doing both is merely a matter of artistic choice and technical skill.

Proof being most content you can see in large budget production such as movies do take advantage of both capturing and editing disciplines. And so final result is all that matters art wise, there is no place for scorn there, except from a jealous, embittered, uninitiated point of view.

----

As a conclusion, just a sample of "content looking just like anyone else's", for you to replicate with ease :

28563748697_8be35a8745_o.jpg

iBtdtStr_o.jpg

36170142910_7a42439b8d_o.jpg

eHSPGklx_o.jpg

mOfsoJEj_o.jpg

tumblr_okgrgxQoEd1tl2qjpo4_1280.jpg

Back to the OP

On 8/9/2019 at 4:50 PM, Yohen said:

Pictures that I saw people posted are showing me that we all are little bit lonely..

? I don't think I can follow that thought.

What brings you to the conclusion that posting pictures, e.g. posting pictures of PCs or NPCs has anything to do with the poster (e.g. me) being lonely?

Well, yes. I can't concentrate on image editing and posting anything meaningful if I am constantly drawn into a conversation.

So I would call that "a happy moment of silence". Like the (almost futile) attempt to sit down on a sunday and read 2 uninterrupted chapters of a book.

Loneliness, well that's a sore subject for me. I've been struggling with depression and some (pretty mild) suicidal thoughts for around 7 years now and I guess loneliness is a big factor in it. I don't share pics of myself at all, not even with "NPC friends" so maybe I'm worse? I dunno, I find that sharing too much on social media is a bit like pretending you are something else and I don't like it.

But as for friends, eh I have few good friends and I'm happy with that, I don't need a needlessly large social circle just to flaunt it. I've tried expanding in the past and some horrible things came of it so I'm more content with keeping a few people around. Nowadays I'm easy to dismiss someone new I meet if I feel even a little that I have nothing to connect me with that person.

Biggest sore point of all for me is relationships. Never had one, can't imagine myself in it. I can talk to women fine, it's flirting I can't do, doesn't work for me. Stuff like that are considered easy nowadays and me being unable to do it is why I think there's something just inherently wrong with me. My therapist used to say it could help me deal with some stuff but now I just don't see the point in even trying, it'll just fall apart anyways and leave me with more problems.

And it all boils down to this: I don't belong in this crazy world. Most likely the root of my depression and feeling of loneliness. In the end, as dark as it may sound, the best possible outcome I can hope for is an accident that will send me on my merry way. I'm saying accident because I'm just too much of a coward to do it myself. But I try not to think about any of that most of the time. Gaming helps, as does going to the gym though I can't easily do the latter right now on account of this bloody heat. Also meds, they help me too.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:50 PM, Yohen said:

I always check nexus todays pictures and I always feel sad about it.. Pictures that I saw people posted are showing me that we all are little bit lonely..

Dont get me offansive I just wanted to share things in my mind but those pictures always with another npc and with pose modes reminds me instagram.. I mean some people are lucky they are social and have friends to post pictures instagram with..But some of us not like that so we are posting our npc friends? I might be wrong what you think guys?

Question was those who make shot screenshot with other characters npc-s with their own chars lonely?

They just post their char with some npc-s, its something you not need read too much into, sure people can use skyrim for living out fantasy, erotic stuff even self insert them that is part of it, bear in mind thats pretty up to the person, you can't read that out of every skyrim player, maybe just a very few one.

Instagram is just a ego booster place with fakeness and flexing, narcistic cess pool, not bother it.

I mean whats stops you posing with your friends and posting pics for that place? Nothing really.

I can do it like anyone else, but whats the point of it?

1 hour ago, myuhinny said:

Thread cleaned stay the fuck on topic. Also a bit of info using smoke signals was NOT a American language it was native American (Indians) also the Chinese used it and it wasn't a language it was code used for signaling back and forth over long distances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_signal

I know, it was only a fun.
there is one person who constantly attacks me, not only here also in other threads!
he writes any crap without informing yourself first.
it is completely normal, that I do not have to put up with everything to me.
but that was the last time, happens it again then I click on the report button.

3 hours ago, stingray1995 said:

I kind of skimmed through this entire thread out of curiosity; just change the topic to 'Political Rant' and it will have better pertinence.

as for being lonely, I believe a person is better off on their own, especially in this day and age; I'm starting to realize that as I slip further and further away from my youth. having a 'relationship' with someone and posting pics on Instagram is for NORMAL people.

am I normal? NOPE. and damn proud of that fact too.

people drag you down, or let you down, or both; you're better off relying on only one person to get what you want out of this brief time you have on a dying planet: YOURSELF.

That's actually not a bad outlook from a technical standpoint. I mean really, one should be able to control their own mindset and be self sufficient. Ironically that's what people find admirable and flock towards. So it's like "Do it yourself and you'll have all the help in the world" which is both motivating and disappointing imo. It's like "what's the point then?" lmao.

"One who can enjoy their own company cannot be broken easily."

I look at other's support (family, the few real friends left) as a bonus. I wouldn't knock them down just because i'm self sufficient. I believe taking the bonus will only add to what i have developed already. Am i greedy because of that? Maybe. But hey life isn't very long so gotta make it count. Balance is the key. *insert Thanos meme*

1 hour ago, Pork Type said:

And why does anyone need your permission to write about you?

you see, already again, you write something without thinking and without check it!
have you ever heard of personality rights?
These are also present in America!
Of course I can forbid you to write about me, and if you thee not stick to it, I can ask the moderators, that you refrains this! :classic_wink:

Copyright and personality rights in social networks

https://irights.info/artikel/urheber-und-persnlichkeitsrechte-in-sozialen-netzwerken/5793

On 8/10/2019 at 1:49 AM, Alter Native said:

So you call me elitist? Please read that post again.

You're the one who needs to re-read, because no such thing happened and the opposite was stated as a matter of fact, but your instantaneous spontaneous defensiveness is pretty telling.

Speaking of telling:

19 hours ago, Tirloque said:

No offense (though your post is rather offensive), but you seem to be confusing originality and simplicity, and button pressing with knowledge.

No, that might be you, and as I've stated many many many times it takes blatant fuckery of magnitude unseen to offend me, so your speculation is completely off-base as is the rest of your presumed premise:

kinda like this:

because:

2001:

E3JfS.jpg

E3JnV.jpg

2005:

E3Jpg.jpg

2008:

E3Mjt.jpg

(notice the directional ambient occlusion, ain't in the original game or even sikkmod)

E3MyQ.png

2011:

uL3ke.gif

blender

E3MJk.jpg

not me2, also no pose rings, also no gravity, also no canned animations, also no console commands. Also bullshots via photochops or gimp

E3MUA.jpg

2013:

E3MLy.jpg

doom3 stuff, not doom3 environment. Built from scratch. Lit from scratch. Material properties from scratch.

E3MOi.png

same + enb.

2015+:

E3MT9.jpg

E3Nqe.jpg

So if you seriously think tcl tcm and jaxonz is the pinnacle of using assets as a storytelling followed by veneer of marketing and bs via photoshop is supposed to get my jimmies all warm and tingling when i can do 

E3Q8P.jpg

or 

E3QiZ.jpg

in about three hours, you haven't been out much and your glasses suck.

When people are doing assetwork and scenebuilds like

E3Qni.jpg

and

E3QnO.jpg

(oh hey skyrim grass, ironic)

maybe getting them upvotes for that sweet sweet bikini you paid 50 bucks for doesn't matter as much as you think it does. Since apparently i have to point it out, the you thereof is hypothetical.

There's craft and then there's marketing, one of them is worthwhile and one of them is not, eventually you might figure that out if you learn not to tilt at windmills while a mile down the road the dragon is skullfucking your princess blind and the castle is burnt to the ground.

case in point:

E3QuW.jpg

E3Quu.jpg

If you can't tell which of these is valuable end-user information and which is shillbait at your expense, not really much else to say.

Also literal lol at your suggestion of copying other people's work to attempt to prove an opinion about mindlessly copying people's work for upvotes. Bulk Ace.

Some people might be lonely and might be using digital proxies for solace, but I think you'll find there are far more who are thirsty, and solace has jack shit to do with that.

34 minutes ago, 27X said:

snip

You're overthinking this to a ridiculous degree. Yeah some people are straight up thirsty for likes and views, they're called narcissists. This goes to any social media subgroub not just games. Some people just post screenshots of stuff they think looked cool in the game. Like walking in an area and thinking the landscape looks pretty good, so lets take a screenshot and post it maybe. Some people go to lengths trying to create their own scenes deliberately and depending on the skills and technical knowledge of the person, the quality of the scenes and pictures will vary. The second last picture you posted is a mod display, screenshots on a mod page to show what the armor looks like so that doesn't count.

In conclusion, some people do it out of lonesome boredom, some people do it because it feels good to do it, some people want clicks and attention. No point in overthinking this like that and definitely no point in all the rest of the stuff you just mashed in there with the years and stuff.

29 minutes ago, 27X said:

kinda like this:

because:

You know.....I really liked Raul. I don't think I ever saw him play a shitty role. Prolly one of the best actors that nobody remembers.

You've done some pretty impressive work! But, you still never mentioned what games you have had a hand in making (and probably you never will). I can only hope to have your level of skill some day.....in the distant future. ?

6 hours ago, 27X said:

So if you seriously think tcl tcm and jaxonz is the pinnacle of using assets as a storytelling followed by veneer of marketing and bs via photoshop is supposed to get my jimmies all warm and tingling when i can do 

image.thumb.png.240f1f2e61fae382be0ff6b8adf9d1cd.png

Is this work you consider above the samples I provided ? Omnidirectional blank lighting, no shadows, uniform floor and barrier textures worth 3dfx best years ? At least, even if it looks like a simple juxtaposition of characters, groups of them are at least posed like having a bit of interaction, but aesthetically it looks more like a supermarket shelve than anything. If that's reference work to you, then I'm at loss for words. We were talking about the difference between a kid pressing a button at a marriage, and a photographer taking a photo after careful consideration of the lighting of composition. That's the kind of difference I was referring to :

image.png.d67554f8d45aff964738cc268b1b7c7f.png

Compare your work to that one. If you can't see in what lighting and scenery do change from yours, then you might be in great need for those dirty glasses you described for others. Also, artistically, worlds of difference between the intensity of what that screen tells and the "example" you provided us.

For all intents and purposes, we recently discussed it at one occasion, so I can provide you a good example or how the lack of good lighting and background could ruin captures otherwise very similar :

48434964501_f8f268e849_h.jpg29498273048_375cb14978_o.jpg

If you can't get a grasp on that, then indeed, even considering acquiring the knowledge to improve your source screens via photoshop or gimp is indeed premature, no wonder you don't understand it.

6 hours ago, 27X said:

When people are doing assetwork and scenebuilds like

E3Qni.jpg

If you can't tell which of these is valuable end-user information and which is shillbait at your expense, not really much else to say.

That image is remarkable, and worlds apart from the previous one above. I was talking about lighting, scenery, creativity and dramatic intensity : it has everything your bland Mass effect inspired render did not ! How can you put those two side to side and then not die in shame comparing them ?

You will notice however, that the slavery mine trade screen (which was done by @Cema), although having custom resources more limited than that one (which is near professional level in terms of time requirement), still retains the artistic criteria of a good work (contrary to what you've shown me above, despite the effort put into posing). But it required less time to do, and since we are asking the question of loneliness, the time investment in order to achieve a hobby is also to be considered.

Anyway, we're just talking of images capturing and editing here. Though those can be enough to be considered as arts by themselves (just like photography or painting would), to me those are only means to serve a purpose made of voices, mystery, humor, action, climaxes, twists and style. In other words a story. So your repeated broken record speech about fearing that lollita screens or images wouldn't be original enough compared to others mere pin-up expositions is pointless to me, as they are but mere assets of stories which belong to their authors. And a character's personality and a story's depth can go way beyond a mere eye candy appearance. So don't be concerned, there are so many more ways than mere images to achieve an original story work than knowing if it's done with a game's engine or Blender matters little.

The first screen I gave on my previous post is taken from @Collygon's Frost of Ages. If you were worried about originality, then fear not, not only his multi-pronged 50 chapters story combines a good writing style (in all aspects) with nice screens and plethora of well designed characters, but he also pushed things as far as making his own posers for it.

Spoiler

But hey, before even getting to storytelling I highly suggest you learn the basics about lighting and background's importance, even though a story isn't a sole matter of screens, good lighting can add so much value to a render one should consider it as a requisite. :sweat_smile:

I have to agree with Tirloque here. What he pointed out (and I missed) are the aspects of screenshot or picture that "make" or "break" the look- as I like to say. Everything needs to be taken into consideration for a SS/picture in order for it to stand out and be considered beautiful or whatever. There is a reason for those likes for screenshots other than feeding one's vanity and that is perspective and feedback. Why do you think some screen archers turn off endorsements for their work?

I'll admit that I like endorsements, but it don't break my heart when I don't get many (it used to, though). I started taking SS's thinking that mine would be top notch and get all kinds of praise. Boy, was I fucking wrong!

The truth is that there are many, many, many more artists that not only make the excellent mods, but also take the most aesthetically pleasing screenshots to showcase their talent. And let me tell you that anyone that says ANY image is worthless, is a dumbass. Sure, some people- myself included- don't have as much talent as many others. But what we less talented individuals make is no less valid an entry. Beauty is in the eye's of the beholder and some people are much better at impressing those that behold their work.

It's not entirely a measure of skill, but a mixture of skill and a whole lot of talent on top of which is the artist particular style. I can almost tell who did what with a glance sometimes. So, to try and assert that one type of art is better than another as fact is fucking ridiculous.

One from a friend-

48054820213_95d8d65d27_o.png.c321910f1b42bd09578ed4c441f3b4c7.png

1 hour ago, KoolHndLuke said:

are the aspects of screenshot or picture that "make" or "break" the look

Hence my repeated use of the word opinion, but that opinion is also placed against the Skyrim community shotters is based almost entirely on gimmes and upvotes, and that's doesn't apply to other game spheres in anywhere near the same degree. It colors the entire community.

I don't expect (or actually care) if anyone has the same outlook, because my artistic discipline by necessity has to cover multiple venues and genres. And absolutely I'd rather see a potato atari image where someone put in the work as well as they are able than post process soulless lathering at 8K.

Also equally absolutely the circlejerk is real and none of it is positive for craft growth or community depth, and it never has been in any other game or genre community with the encyclopedia dramatica entry metrics to go with.

On 8/9/2019 at 9:50 AM, Yohen said:

I always check nexus todays pictures and I always feel sad about it.. Pictures that I saw people posted are showing me that we all are little bit lonely..

Dont get me offansive I just wanted to share things in my mind but those pictures always with another npc and with pose modes reminds me instagram.. I mean some people are lucky they are social and have friends to post pictures instagram with..But some of us not like that so we are posting our npc friends? I might be wrong what you think guys?

How does posting images online to like minded hobbyists suggest some state of loneliness?

Posting images of video game characters would be a bit out of place at an art gallery dedicated to more traditional hand rendered art forms (which the artists own full intellectual property right over) in much the same way as posting excerpts from a radio drama would be out of place on a game modding data base site.

The various social circles which many people are part of don't have much overlap in interest, for better or worse.

The subject of the images doesn't even matter since the end result and general purpose in posting largely if not entirely remains the same.

1 hour ago, 27X said:

I'd rather see a potato atari image where someone put in the work as well as they are able than post process soulless lathering at 8K.

I get your point and agree. I often will endorse screenshots/images from people who I can tell they are really trying to create something rather than just rehashing the same shit over and over for the kudos. I have observed that it's because the masses don't know how much work does or doesn't go into creating something and usually will gravitate towards the shiny/polished over anything original and rough-looking.....no matter how brilliant it may be.

I dig for diamonds, not buy whatever overpriced shit is in the display case. Substance over form- a philosophy I wish more devs would espouse.:classic_biggrin:

Still, form does serve a purpose and I don't mind if someone is blatantly panning for likes with their stuff or the people that follow them. It only helps to separate the chaff from the wheat for me sometimes. Besides, I'm guilty myself of shamelessly posting the occasional waifu pic for a few up-votes here and there because we seem to love them no matter how many times we have seen them. It's impossible to take a hard line here either way now that I think about it.