I find my self in recent times getting bored of male characters quicker than female characters, and I am not entirely sure why that is. This seems to happen in RPGs more than in any other game genre. I created a female character in Fallout 4 and to this day I still like that character and stick with it, I tried creating a male character in Fallout, I got bored in less than a week.

In Skyrim I created a bunch of female characters and love them all, and some male characters, I can recall only ONE male character with which I had a significant amount of hours playing (i made that character look like a historical Roman centurion using mods and that is why i stuck with him, i like Roman history).

In Divinity Original Sin 2 I played the whole game with a male character and that was because he was Undead and being Undead was an interesting change that made me stick with that character the whole game, but being male of any other race in that game bored me, I didn't even try playing with males of other races. 

There are very few games in which I like the male characters and wouldn't want to change them, and most of these games aren't RPGs. I like the characters of Team Fortress 2, they are all men(the game isn't RPG).

There is this new Assassin's Creed Odyssey game coming out, I have seen both protagonists the game introduces and the male protagonist is just so boring to me.

Does anyone else feels/thinks like me in regard of male characters? Does anyone thinks they know why this boredom with male characters happens?

Well I 98% time play female characters and create them.

In divinity 2, I had no problems with them, Fane is rad and I liked Ifan as well, Red Lizard is fun, but I prefer them as companions.

I guess depends on story and rpg elements, sometime I play as male.

Its more like I put barely effort to create them, compared female chars.

More often I play as a male, as being male myself I like to play the game from my own perspective and lose myself in it (hence role playing game, I guess) - I find it works less for me when I'm playing as female and I can't get into it as well.

Don't get me wrong though, i've played the game a few times as a female the longest playthough being as Beatrix from FF9 who was a fantastic character.

Males don't have jiggly boobs and asses and most generally don't want to look at muscle headed meatheads and would prefer looking at a nice body. Unless the person likes male characters then they are going to get bored of them faster. But it depends on the game type. I make female players in game but in adults games like renpy ones I usually play the male protagonist games and stay away from the female protagonist ones as the female ones are almost always the generic take girl around and get her molested by every Tom Dick and ugly fat bastard in the game.

Just now, myuhinny said:

Males don't have jiggly boobs and asses and most generally don't want to look at muscle headed meatheads and would prefer looking at a nice body.

I actually always dress my female characters in a modest way. I don't like bimbos, I do not create female characters to stare at jiggly boobs and asses.

Hi,

For me depends much on the story and most of all the gameplay. of course female eye-candy has a major point, but I never had any problems running male or female chars if the game hooked me.

Played multiple times the mass effect trilogy both male and femshep, same for dragon age origins and inquisition, Baldur's gate 1 and 2, planscape, neverwinter's night 1 and 2, the witcher 1 2 and 3 and many others.

For example rpgs I could never finish are, Dragon age 2 or the whole franchise from Larian studios Divinity.

One trend I noticed creeping up "recently" (not quite, is more than 20 years that its growing) is the fact that a lot of studios are "playing it safe" in characterization (less stereotypes, more averaged) to avoid the ire of some "too easy offended on command" type of public.

Cheers

I generally make female characters now-a-days.  I used to make male characters (because I am a guy), but I ultimately switched for a few reasons:

• Women are nicer to look at.  Clothed or not, modest or slutty, the feminine form is more aesthetically pleasing, to both men and women alike.
  • Most male voice actors are incredibly generic sounding.  They're almost always trying for a neutral "not-quite-tough guy" sound, so they all tend to blend together.  See the Mass Effect series for a great example of this - the woman who did the Shepherd voice acting produces a much wider range of emotion than the man did.
  • In a lot of games, RPGs especially, the men basically always wear half a car worth of armor, and aside from a few bits sticking out here and there or a color palette swap, it all looks more or less the same.  The women usually get a much wider variety of style, so you get more options to mix things up.  Visual fidelity is one of those things most people don't think about unless it's pointed out to them.  Even the little things, such as changing what your character is wearing, can go a long way to shake things up and keep you engaged a little longer.
  • There's a general lack of (good)* female-protagonist movies, TV shows, and video games.  It's nice to have the option, so I usually exercise it when it's available.

* Good means they didn't just take a woman and drop her into a script written for a man.  It needs to have a story that has believable motivation and character development for either a woman or both genders, not just "generic action development plot #773" (man seeks revenge for death of wife/child/brother/father/dog).

• Etc.

I almost never dress my female characters in anything that is remotely modest because if I am going to play a female character then I want her to look hot while kicking someones ass and outfits and armors that I port for my female characters tend to lose their panties pants and other objects of clothing on the way there. Most of their clothing is mostly skimpy and if something is modest I tend to make them less modest with tweaking clipping snipping and ripping. I use HDT for my female characters.

My characters usually have small boobs but some ported outfits were made with bigger breast and I don't give her blonde hair and nasty ass make up as I can't stand the bimbo look.

Since 2011, I never played even one female character aside from testing things (this also applies to the beast races, although I just really don't care about the beast races, including orcs, but also wood elves).

It never even occurred to me that I should play as a female. More often than not, I prefer to play highly religious characters -- be it a daedra or an aedra --, and I don't like stealth gameplay. This leaves me with warriors and mage type of characters. It would feel extremely stupid and out-of-character for me to play a female paladin or any kind of warrior -- this includes ranged weapons as well, which, despite the common fantasy tropes, require a a lot of strength, and not dexterity. We have knowledge of war bows that were so hard to pull that they deformed the spine of the archers (we're talking well-trained, adult men who were soldiers!) after long use...

As for magic, I guess that can easily be explained by my conceptions about magic. I grew up with male wizards (see Gandalf and others), and in all of my favourite games, magic was highly associated with mages who were somewhere between Christian monks, weed smoking shamans and learned elders/awakened ones (this made sense in the setting, since these mages literally lived in a place called "the monastery"). I'm talking about Gothic 2 here, just in case someone started to recognize it.

I'm not against the idea of meaningful female characters, I just don't think I could play one in Skyrim easily, since the game is set-up a way that encourages tasks that are made for males.

That kind of thinking, in my opinion, is wholly stupid. Instead of making actually meaningful female characters, they could only think about turning them into males and thereby giving them comical, annoying depth while at the same time ruining the believability (I think I just made that word up) of the world.

In Skyrim, it is inevitable that you have to do a lot of killing. Killing of men, killing of monsters, but most evidently, killing of dragons. It is all about one dimensional killing, where female characters by default can only take up male roles...

Imagine a game which has actual depth and consequences for your actions and decisions (you know, like a "role playing game" supposed to have...). In that game, you could have multiple ways to solve problems with multiple outcomes (of course not infinite outcomes, but a reasonable number of them). God forbid, those choices could include things like not actually killing someone for once to solve an issue. Instead, maybe you could play with a female character, remain a woman, in character, and solve the issue that way, through the strengths and specializations of that are characteristic of the feminine principle.

In that context, I might just consider playing a female character, since then it would make sense and have some originality and depth to it.

In Skyrim, however, I don't think I would ever play a female. I already thought of the idea, since I obviously recognized that 99% of players play a female character, while not 99% of players are females in real life...

Even if I played a female character, I would be pretty modest with it (at least for my own character); I wouldn't use extreme bodyslide presets (I'd probably go with basic UNP with a weight of 50 at max), I wouldn't use any skimpy clothing (in fact, I would specifically look for non-skimpy clothes (skimpy clothes include "boob-plates" too)), and I would probably use a heavily modded setup which is geared toward speech, manipulation, followers and pure roleplaying...

I don't like looking at dudes, so I play as females if possible. If sex is an option I'd rather

play as a horny submissive, masochistic, slutty female than a rape-monster sadistic male.

I just don't have it in me to pretend to be a rapist, feelsbadman.

I've even tried giving my female PC a dick and tried to be aggressive, but wind up roleplaying

that someone put a curse on her that gave her dick, and she gets subjected to more humiliation

because of it.

It is likely because so many RPGs of every sub-genre more often than not have default or mandatory male protagonists.

I had the same reaction myself several years ago. I eventually got over that boredom, more or less, due to the sheer number of modern games with mandatory female protagonists and selectable gender options, though. I don't think that I purchased a new game without gender options at all in the three year span from 2013 to 2016.

If you think about it, most dev studios are staffed by a bunch of sex starved nerds that have a hard-on for anime tiddies and women in general- which is a good thing mostly imo. So, they probably put much more effort into female characters and such than male ones. Geralt is the only male char made recently that I can think of that was very meticulously constructed from concept onward.

Take away the nudity and sex in our games and I don't think it would matter as much anymore.

2 hours ago, myuhinny said:

I almost never dress my female characters in anything that is remotely modest because if I am going to play a female character then I want her to look hot while kicking someones ass and outfits and armors that I port for my female characters tend to lose their panties pants and other objects of clothing on the way there. Most of their clothing is mostly skimpy and if something is modest I tend to make them less modest with tweaking clipping snipping and ripping. I use HDT for my female characters.

My characters usually have small boobs but some ported outfits were made with bigger breast and I don't give her blonde hair and nasty ass make up as I can't stand the bimbo look.

I find most skimpy clothing quite modest. Thongs? Pfff! Nipple pasties? well aren't you just a shy little flower.

Perhaps my brain is flawed but either wear clothing or don't.

I also try to avoid the bimbo look but I'm a little iffy on the matter. I like breasts of any size after all.

On 9/15/2018 at 3:22 PM, myuhinny said:

Males don't have jiggly boobs and asses

That is just idiotic sexism.  Here is stock footage of a buff man running towards a camera that clearly shows he has jiggling boobs.

https://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-12564071-stock-footage-man-jogging-toward-camera-in-forest-with-fall-leaves-on-trail-caucasian-male-running-through.html

Archived