50 minutes ago, Darkpig said:

That's good man that's real good. Now here is the breakdown.

You can do somersaults in plate armor like so:

Fantasy Armors such as the Storm Lord armor would indeed be impractically heavy. The real stuff is clearly thinner. Fantasy ridiculously overwrought plate armor designs tend to be informed by the idea that realistic armor can only withstand as much as a scratch from a bear's claws before it folds.

Characters like Titania from Fire Emblem- Path of Radiance have more reasonable full plate armor than The Black Knight from the same game. Then again, his armor is blessed by a goddess so that might help him to move around in it more effectively.

Spoiler

Titania.thumb.jpg.bd7f98ec7995a50c58949b77b6b3ebb5.jpg

Zelgius.png.900ca729391af4f52a72defad88e8a67.png

In the same series, though, armor is worthless against the better magic tomes as seems to be appropriate. Lightning magic should be amplified in fantasy games when targets wear full plate.

All armor would be useless in the end as it all pales before Mobile Suits, anyway.

Spoiler

Mrx-010.jpg.28c209f95636816587432d50e7cabb1d.jpg

I mostly chose females because they always had a better customization compare to male. i used to play as a female on skyrim because of the models ravamps and stuff people did. But not since males are getting attention i can now go playing as a male again. I do enjoy seeing a submissive males in stuff. (lol)

Anyway as what people say most games haves females with better looking clothes or theme. a good example would be monster hunter 3 or tri. Good lord if you ever seen the different in armors on that game it was decided that people will use females more then males.

It tend to make a decision of gender and stick with it throughout whatever title I'm playing. I like femshep's voice.. But man Shepard was cute so I chose him. I went with a woman for Fallout 3 but with a man for Fallout 4. 

I went with a woman in Skyrim. I tried switching over to men.. but, I dunno.. whenever I play as a guy in Skyrim, I always roleplay as an asshole hell bent on killing and fucking. I can never get anything done! These SL mods are a distraction lol

I used to be a male only play through kinda guy. I left consoles and started playing Oblivion on my pc when it came out and found that I felt the same as you. Personally what drove me to female characters was. 1.) I like seeing them, eye candy. 2.) Lots more Customization in body types and animations. 3.) Clothing and costumes are much more fascinating plus a lady wearing a dragon-scale bullet proof vest with a M43 grenadier cap, a MG42, gits precursor suite, with a Dominican cigar in mouth while throwing Molotovs shouting Oooooourrrrah!!! is more satisfying to me. 4.) in most fighting and beatem ups i have played ladies are always faster and have more combo's like Helena, Eliza, Cassandra, etc. I always play fallout with the back story of I am an ex-enclave Heavy recon that escaped Navarro, and traveled east to escape the brother hood but turned into a raider. Only to be found by the Brotherhood and hunted by their spec ops teams. ever since I dont play many games unless they have a playable female character. exceptions are Witcher, last of us, and ps 1's battlefront. I do play guys from time to time but I feel like I have less options most of the time and most costumes and clothing are pretty much the same to me. Above there is a little video of her, I know you see a cigarette I ran out of sanfran sunlights so I made up for with Lucky strikes.

I'll play either gender. That said if a game forces my female PC into bikini armor I tend to play the male counterpart. I have characters that make sense in skimpy armor and those that don't and nothing irks me more than being forced into skimpy.

Granted if there's VA unless the male is atrocious I'll usually play male over female. I get weird about female VAs :P

On 9/17/2018 at 7:57 PM, FauxFurry said:

Fantasy Armors such as the Storm Lord armor would indeed be impractically heavy. The real stuff is clearly thinner. Fantasy ridiculously overwrought plate armor designs tend to be informed by the idea that realistic armor can only withstand as much as a scratch from a bear's claws before it folds.

Characters like Titania from Fire Emblem- Path of Radiance have more reasonable full plate armor than The Black Knight from the same game. Then again, his armor is blessed by a goddess so that might help him to move around in it more effectively.

In the same series, though, armor is worthless against the better magic tomes as seems to be appropriate. Lightning magic should be amplified in fantasy games when targets wear full plate.

All armor would be useless in the end as it all pales before Mobile Suits, anyway.

Just in case you didn't understand what I was saying, I never said it wouldn't be impractically heavy. I said it might be better than a bikini. The better option would be real practical armor. You are right about magic being the superior armor though.?

Anyway. Mobile suits would be powerless against robots assuming the mobile suits themselves won't turn against their human masters.

I, too, prefer playing female characters over male. I have a few theories why that might be (I'm actually not sure which of these factore apply to me, but I'll throw them in anyway).

- Identification with character, but not based on sex, but on behavioral traits associated with gender (i.e. females are quiet, timid, etc, where males are aggressive, loud, etc); maybe also physical factors that are statistitally dominant in certian genders play a role like male = strong vs female = agile

- Exerting control over the created character (and it's more interesting to control a female than a male?)

- Beauty (even in modest clothes)

- More freedom of choice: a male doing stuff that is traditionally something only women do is strange to society, and probably still strange to an enlightened individual; a female character can do anything, though.

It might also have to do with your own upbringing, especially when it comes to personality associated to certain genders. Maybe some/most/all of us are not 100% (fe)male, and we use video games to live out the part we can't (or don't dare to) in real live.

Or we have been tought that certain genders are better. Who here has been mostly raised by their mother (who naturally thinks women are better), while the father was out all day working a full time job?

Or who has been madly in love and naturally thinks that the gender of the beloved is godly? ?

I think it's a very complex field with no definitive answers. Especially when it comes down to individuals.

The fact of the matter is, in games where you can "craft" the appearance of a character, I just don't give a fuck. I cannot be assed to spend any amount of time changing the way a character looks, especially a woman, to fit some waifu aesthetic desire. I don't want to use some preset that somebody else made because, and I'm not sorry for this; MOST PEOPLE MAKE SHIT CHARACTERS. I hate playing in third person in these types of games anyway (Breath of the Wild drove me up a fucking wall), so I'd never get to see the female character, much less what she's wearing unless she's getting fucked. And frankly, just seeing the same female fucked over and over is boring as shit.

I detest lesbian sex with a passion, because again, it's frankly boring as shit. Same with normal gay sex, as well, even though I'm one of those devious bisexuals. I would rather play as a male character and have the females of the world be the pretty ones, that I can dress up with my shitload of outfit mods and maybe fuck now and again after laying waste to whatever the Hell it was that got in the way of my questing, if I hadn't already gotten it on with the scant few follower mods I do use, because I find most followers to be utterly annoying, even if they are pretty to look at.

I suppose in a way I am extending myself into a character; a male who prefers to be alone on his adventures.

I just love to drive a cute tubby dwarf (called Bijaz) with polished plate and fashionable

ZZ Top beard that covers his secret parts, armed with axe and shield in a fantasy rpg,

whenever possible. Once triggered such a sharp dressed shorty on the attack is simply

unstoppable, a heroic one-man assault team to be reckoned with.

There's no matching spouse available for dwarves but that's the least of my problems

anyway (hence all the virtual power to the desperate!), not to accidentally piss on the

beard might be one tho... :classic_laugh: *oink oink*

Big girls just wanna have some fun!  :classic_wub:

On 9/18/2018 at 9:49 PM, Darkpig said:

Just in case you didn't understand what I was saying, I never said it wouldn't be impractically heavy. I said it might be better than a bikini. The better option would be real practical armor. You are right about magic being the superior armor though.?

Anyway. Mobile suits would be powerless against robots assuming the mobile suits themselves won't turn against their human masters.

I tend to play for realism, which includes times appropriate to clothing removal and times where you really need to be armored. Yes there are historical precedents such as the Celts. But note that the Romans and other tribes drove them out of mainland to some islands. Oh yeah and then the Romans invaded there as well. So yes that screaming blue painted warrior scares the crap out of you, until the centurion or other NCO behind you reminds you retreat is not an option.

Skyrim, Fallout et al are games. We play them for various reasons; to escape, to see things we only wish for in RL cause it's socially unacceptable, endless list ...

Notice I started off with "I tend" well I also have a MO profile that is all nude ... eyeryone ... everywhere ... with "uncontrollable urges" (mod that does that you know LOL sooooo useful)

I sometimes do male PC sometimes female. Body changes with each game depending on role, race, and other variables.

What I see in this whole thread is every body here gets to play the way they want because the game and the mods allow them to. As much as I enjoy Witcher II and III and the DLCs for III, I really get tired of Geralt! I want to change it up when I feel like and what I happened to be reading or watching that's got my interest for the week or so.

As for "better than a bikini" couldn't help thinking of drawing that's been posted before.

To Each Their Own!

Spoiler

image.png.e5d80174079a7f8a8ed52386d5952d87.png

I was only implying a bikini would still be better than impractically heavy armor as a bikini would be merely useless as opposed to being a total liability.

For example if you came at me wearing the armor theposhmudcrab posted a pic of I would just kick you in the stomach. You'd be too bogged down to likely dodge it and the impact would cause you to immediately fall back on your ass because your center of gravity would be terrible in such a bulky, badly proportioned suit. It would also take you a long time to get back up on your feet, assuming you could get up at all leaving any attacker plenty of time to deal with you.

A similar effect would happen if you got smacked in the chest with a bunch of arrows like the elf girl on that silly burnt out drawing only the anti-bikini armor crowd is impressed by. Heck with the force and accuracy those arrows struck her there's a good chance they would have penetrated the armor and killed you anyways. You certainly wouldn't be dodging them.

As for the "maybe it was made out of magical metal" in that case you're tossing real world logic out the window in exchange for things that don't exist in the real world and thus are in no way realistic. So how is that different in comparison to giant buster swords, rings that make your entire body fireproof, or *gasp* bikini armor (aside from personally cherry picked tastes in "immersion")?

6 hours ago, old cat said:

I tend to play for realism, which includes times appropriate to clothing removal and times where you really need to be armored. Yes there are historical precedents such as the Celts. But note that the Romans and other tribes drove them out of mainland to some islands. Oh yeah and then the Romans invaded there as well. So yes that screaming blue painted warrior scares the crap out of you, until the centurion or other NCO behind you reminds you retreat is not an option.

Skyrim, Fallout et al are games. We play them for various reasons; to escape, to see things we only wish for in RL cause it's socially unacceptable, endless list ...

Notice I started off with "I tend" well I also have a MO profile that is all nude ... eyeryone ... everywhere ... with "uncontrollable urges" (mod that does that you know LOL sooooo useful)

I sometimes do male PC sometimes female. Body changes with each game depending on role, race, and other variables.

What I see in this whole thread is every body here gets to play the way they want because the game and the mods allow them to. As much as I enjoy Witcher II and III and the DLCs for III, I really get tired of Geralt! I want to change it up when I feel like and what I happened to be reading or watching that's got my interest for the week or so.

As for "better than a bikini" couldn't help thinking of drawing that's been posted before.

To Each Their Own!

People like me tend to overthink things. That alone is a great trait for things like designing games or stories just knowing the rules of design and knowing when to break them. I'm guessing the developers of the Witcher simply pooled their time and resources into creating the character Geralt rather than allowing for customization and that is fine. In Skyrim you can play as a lizard, a cat, an elf as tall as their ego or a green humanoid with bad dentistry; that too is fine. Sometimes I mod impractical armors to have insane stats for fun and I'm sure I have a bikini in my wardrobe of weirdness somewhere.

5 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

As for the "maybe it was made out of magical metal" in that case you're tossing real world logic out the window in exchange for things that don't exist in the real world and thus are in no way realistic. So how is that different in comparison to giant buster swords, rings that make your entire body fireproof, or *gasp* bikini armor (aside from personally cherry picked tastes in "immersion")?

Even magic can't fix the buster sword. As for that one arguement, the main problem with plate armor is fatigue which is a non issue in a regular battle but becomes a problem in a drawn out battle. I guess what I'm asking is, how does long can one last wearing that armor made of fantasy metal and perhaps a fortify carry weight enchantment. What other problems might it face I wonder?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm i do might sometimes choose female character excample tera is bit grindy mmorpg. Having gorgeous lady who you play as experiencing story first time and gives eye candy to watch sametime getting you trought grind is something very soothing. True that some games have more revealing armor for females and i do admit to wear them too *blushes* but never too much revealing. 

Having more customization as female char is also true many games as pointed out, i make 2 or 3 char female to just test them out. If i can make something i am comfortable with i play that lady ;) 

On 9/20/2018 at 5:05 AM, Darkpig said:

I'm guessing the developers of the Witcher simply pooled their time and resources into creating the character Geralt rather than allowing for customization and that is fine.

Geralt is a pre-existing character from the books with a well known description, it wouldn't make any sense to allow customization of him.  CD Project would violate the license they paid for if you could give Geralt a set of boobs, not to mention the riots in the streets of Warsaw...

46 minutes ago, joemonco said:

Geralt is a pre-existing character from the books with a well known description, it wouldn't make any sense to allow customization of him.  CD Project would violate the license they paid for if you could give Geralt a set of boobs, not to mention the riots in the streets of Warsaw...

Wait what?! The Witcher is a book?! I guess it saves the Witcher development team time and effort fleshing out the story.

Indeed and although the English translations are good reading, not quite the impact of the original Polish.

11 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Wait what?! The Witcher is a book?!

8 hours ago, Resdayn said:

an army of books fleshing out his character

There are at least 5 in the Witcher series that can be purchased on Amazon.

56 minutes ago, old cat said:

Indeed and although the English translations are good reading, not quite the impact of the original Polish.

I can imagine the book better in the original language :D 

I don't even remember when I played actually a guy char last time.

On 9/30/2018 at 12:58 PM, old cat said:

There is also a Polish TV series and movie that's apparently on the level of Hercules/Xena for special defects not to mention the new Netflix series and movie.

RPGs that I play in third person mode like skyrim I tend to always play female characters.

RPGs that I play in first person mode like fallout I tend to always play male characters.

Not super complicated, female characters are more fun for me to look at.  I enjoy creating a personality for the female character and fleshing out who they are, whereas I see male characters more as an extension of self, and rarely go in depth on character/personality.  

It also makes a huge difference the amount of customization or community content available. 

RPGs you play in third person mode but have no real dress-up options like Mass Effect I almost always play male characters.  I played female Shepard once.  Her voice actress is great, but her character always seemed more angry than heroic and wasn't much fun to look at from behind.

I never play female characters in any online RPG.  The social aspect of those make it too disruptive to any immersion when there's a gender mismatch.

On 9/17/2018 at 4:36 PM, FauxFurry said:

The claims that revealing armor isn't lore friendly is inaccurate whether one looks at male or female armor sets in Skyrim though the female armor is substantially more modest than the male equivalents (a consequence of going mainstream). It looks even funnier if one looks at what was in the Elder Scrolls series prior to its appearance on consoles.

Dagger.jpg.3575d4744b9e32e6816df94fae330d84.jpgFall.png.69581b97792f52a6d195fb36f148e999.png

Exactly!  Seriously, bikini armor is one of the most lore friendly things you can add to the game.  The original elder scrolls games go way beyond "skimpy armor" though. 

For those who never played Daggerfall it might come as a surprise how much sexiness was ALWAYS a part of the lore.  For example:

• Dunmer women were notoriously, shall we say, loose?  Some of the more lurid details have been bleached out of the AAA+ releases (like the joke about the dunmer man who killed his cheating wife instead of her lovers because he would have to kill a new man every day), but if you read some of the stuff that stayed in like the real biography of barenziah it becomes pretty clear after a few volumes that she's kind of a sex-crazed teenager in her youth. 

• Or the wolf queen.  Actually... most of the book series that have been in the game since arena or daggerfall have at least one paragraph that reads like a romance novel.  I guess nobody actually reads those though!

• Witch covens, which are one of the only ways to cure lycanthropy, are composed of roughly 50% naked women, most of whom are dancing naked, in random spots in the wildnerness.

• Every major temple has at least one scantily clad male or female working there, and the temples of Dibella and Mara always had one loincloth male or one naked female and usually had more than that.  I think even the mage's guilds usually had one scantily clad vendor or instructor too.

• Some monsters were also naked, like the Daedra seducer, or the *cough cough* Nymph.

image.png.e5d80174079a7f8a8ed52386d5952d87.png

Normally I wouldn't... but I already had photoshop open so...

Spoiler

bikiniarmorsexist.png.cdc41a4a2bbfaa7701f291cd5874d8da.png

Which one was less practical again?  

11 hours ago, goaway said:

I never play female characters in any online RPG.  The social aspect of those make it too disruptive to any immersion when there's a gender mismatch.

Funny thing is I almost always played female characters in the MMOs I was good at (I played mostly male in WoW, but I also sucked then mostly because I didn't realize I have no talent for playing DPS back then. I'm a tank all the way both in PvE and PvP). Normally it meant nothing in social interaction but on occasions it did some cause some strange experiences.

For example despite the fact I never pretended to be a RL female I had many guildmates assume I was one due to the fact I'm rather quiet and the way I type when I do speak up in an MMO is rather formal, polite, to the point, and I use emojis a bit much. Occasionally I had PUGs hit on me, which was a bit amusing though I never catfished any of them because its just not in my nature. Probably didn't help that despite the fact I'm a bikini armor fanboy who pranced most of my girls around half naked I tended to get along rather well with my female guildmates and tended to causally hang out with them. At one point I found myself debating which were the best looking boots in SWOTOR with a female guild mate for almost 20 minutes (We both finally agreed it was the ugh boots sold by the Hoth social points vendor). You can imagine I felt a little bit silly afterwards.

11 hours ago, goaway said:

Which one was less practical again? 

Eh, if you wanted to turn the table you could pick apart that silly, self-impressed elf picture for days. Why were there a bunch of archers in what appears to be a cramped cave/dungeon? If we're doing real world logic then why was a petite female charging the front lines leaving her getting hit by all those arrows? And if she wasn't in the front lines how could she be so incompetent to get hit by all those arrows, aside from being someone useless who would get easily killed soon enough anyways? Given how direct and forceful all the arrows hit her would any real world armor made of realistic materials have saved her anyways? And if you want to start babbling about magic material armor how is that any different than slapping some confounded "magic" free pass excuse on bikini armor or any other style over substance fantasy genre trope? So on and so on.

I admit I get a bit protective of bikini armor, but seriously come on, there is an overly critical and cherry picked double standard levied on it by those that dislike it. In the end most bikini armor fans know it isn't realistic at all. That it is just a fantasy armor style much like the armor worn by Soul Calibur's Nightmare, Robocop, all those JRPG characters that have impossibly complex cloth outfits, etc. Anyone who shoves that elf pic in our face isn't making a compelling argument, since we already know it isn't realistic: we just don't care as we weren't looking for realistic. They are just be snarky and childish (I'm not implying old cat was trying to make that point when they posted the pic btw).

20 minutes ago, MrEsturk said:

Funny thing is I almost always played female characters in the MMOs I was good at (I played mostly male in WoW, but I also sucked then mostly because I didn't realize I have no talent for playing DPS back then. I'm a tank all the way both in PvE and PvP). Normally it meant nothing in social interaction but on occasions it did some cause some strange experiences.

For example despite the fact I never pretended to be a RL female I had many guildmates assume I was one due to the fact I'm rather quiet and the way I type when I do speak up in an MMO is rather formal, polite, to the point, and I use emojis a bit much. Occasionally I had PUGs hit on me, which was a bit amusing though I never catfished any of them because its just not in my nature. Probably didn't help that despite the fact I'm a bikini armor fanboy who pranced most of my girls around half naked I tended to get along rather well with my female guildmates and tended to causally hang out with them. At one point I found myself debating which were the best looking boots in SWOTOR with a female guild mate for almost 20 minutes (We both finally agreed it was the ugh boots sold by the Hoth social points vendor). You can imagine I felt a little bit silly afterwards.

Eh, if you wanted to turn the table you could pick apart that silly, self-impressed elf picture for days. Why were there a bunch of archers in what appears to be a cramped cave/dungeon? If we're doing real world logic then why was a petite female charging the front lines leaving her getting hit by all those arrows? And if she wasn't in the front lines how could she be so incompetent to get hit by all those arrows, aside from being someone useless who would get easily killed soon enough anyways? Given how direct and forceful all the arrows hit her would any real world armor made of realistic materials have saved her anyways? And if you want to start babbling about magic material armor how is that any different than slapping some confounded "magic" free pass excuse on bikini armor or any other style over substance fantasy genre trope? So on and so on.

I admit I get a bit protective of bikini armor, but seriously come on, there is an overly critical and cherry picked double standard levied on it by those that dislike it. In the end most bikini armor fans know it isn't realistic at all. That it is just a fantasy armor style much like the armor worn by Soul Calibur's Nightmare, Robocop, all those JRPG characters that have impossibly complex cloth outfits, etc. Anyone who shoves that elf pic in our face isn't making a compelling argument, since we already know it isn't realistic: we just don't care as we weren't looking for realistic. They are just be snarky and childish (I'm not implying old cat was trying to make that point when they posted the pic btw).

Bikini Armor is just the ever-so-slightly more modest version of barbarian armors or '80s movie commando gear. 

Drogo.jpg.abe6bf6d120507a69c23605ea93f0059.jpg2113933401_LouFerrignoHercules.thumb.jpg.916ca5c6db2e10b7fd04ccffbed2e119.jpgRambo.jpg.392a9758990540cbb165d3148ac8ed25.jpg

53 minutes ago, FauxFurry said:

Bikini Armor is just the ever-so-slightly more modest version of barbarian armors or '80s movie commando gear.

Oh I do love me some 80s sword & sandals fantasy. Big fan of that Boris Vallejo's type art style.

Right now I'm trying to cobble together a freeware indie fantasy platformer game, structurally similar to the NES Rygar but taking gameplay elements from a lot of the fantasy platformer games of the late 80s/early 90s. Heroine will probably be a scantily clad dark elf but the won't be many male characters wearing pants and even less wearing shirts. Going 80s Conan style all the way.

Funny thing is when I reference those games for inspiration the most clothed male hero is Link from Zelda 2. Then I think of one of my favorites, Black Tiger, and the hero's "armored" version is a breastplate with the belly fully exposed like a valley girl and just a speedo. Even more amusing is that the most scantily clad playable character of a non-hentai fantasy platformer has to be the guy from Legendary Axe 2. He wears literally nothing but a circlet and a banana hammock:

gfs_40551_2_4_mid.jpg

You know sometimes you're just too pissed and out for revenge to get dressed. Or put on shoes for that matter, lol.

For me it depends on whether I think a male or female character better suits the role and the setting.  If I'm playing a really grimdark game like The Technomancer, I prefer to play a male (although that game in particular did not let you choose your gender).  Likewise when I played through Ghost Recon: Wildlands I always played a malee, even though there was a female option and the characters looked good.  On the other hand if I'm playing a mage in Skyrim it will probably be female.  If the setting and character can go either way, it just boils down to things like voice actor quality, e.g. I never played a male Shepard in the dozens of times I played through the Mass Effect games because Jennifer Hale's voice acting was so much better than Mark Meer's.

As far as the whole armor thing, I don't really tend to dress female characters in skimpy outfits.  I like to dress them in flattering outfits, even sexy ones, but I don't put a priority on revealing armor and clothes.  In Skyrim I'm more likely to play a barbarian male in a loincloth than a female in a fur bikini.  On the other hand, don't come to me with complaints about "boobplate" or "overly sexualized armor".  In the real world, most women like to dress to look good, and more importantly, in my game I want my characters to look pleasing to me -- be they male or female.  I have no patience for virtue-signaling about how plate mail with discernible breasts is patriarchal male-gaze misogyny.

Archived