All things Cyberpunk 2077 General Thread

On 2/25/2021 at 7:22 PM, Zor2k13 said:

Nobody wants to dump moar money into a money pit so you can expect them to cut and run just as soon as they can. Even with a bailout from some eccentric investor or some screwy euro govt over there it would have to be really big to fill that hole now. 

Except the game already made a net profit. Even if they lose every lawsuit, of which there are four, they will still have made a net profit.

On 2/25/2021 at 8:22 PM, Zor2k13 said:

Nobody wants to dump moar money into a money pit so you can expect them to cut and run just as soon as they can. Even with a bailout from some eccentric investor or some screwy euro govt over there it would have to be really big to fill that hole now. 

10 hours ago, 27X said:

Except the game already made a net profit. Even if they lose every lawsuit, of which there are four, they will still have made a net profit.

And as long as the game is making money (as 27X is pointing out), they will most likely continue to support it and provide tweaks.  Botched releases have become the norm anymore (sad as that is), but if they can end up with a decently playable game after a year of patches, while still turning a net profit, they will look like a normal game maker.  Nothing exceptional, but normal.  Investors will still show up with a normal company.  

12 minutes ago, gregathit said:

And as long as the game is making money (as 27X is pointing out), they will most likely continue to support it and provide tweaks.  Botched releases have become the norm anymore (sad as that is), but if they can end up with a decently playable game after a year of patches, while still turning a net profit, they will look like a normal game maker.  Nothing exceptional, but normal.  Investors will still show up with a normal company.  

There's also a long-standing adage in business circles which is *generally* true.

"All press is good press" - meaning that even people are saying lots of negative things, they're still saying something, and that brings attention and profit.  Where that matters here is that a bad game that's got a constant buzz going will almost always end up far more profitable than a good game no one ever talks about.

Note that I'm not saying it is or isn't a "bad game".  Just pointing out that in terms of the 'bottom line' while positive buzz would be preferred, negative buzz is still far better than none at all.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't get all the whining about the game, not here for the most part, but in general. Every game ever released has had bugs on it's initial release, wasn't what was promised, or needed polishing at it's release. At full price it cost less than a tank of gas, and I've seen it for sale as low as $25 US. I waste more than that on a half decent meal, which I'll only see again when I flush.

CDPR's main fault was they tried to make it compatible with all gaming platforms instead of focusing on only one, to the detriment of all.

If you're waiting for a game that will work flawlessly on 'your' system, have zero bugs, and be re-playable until your grandchildren are old and grey it could be done, it will probably take about 6 decades to make, cost you around half a million for your copy, and you still won't be completely happy with it.

4 hours ago, nikoli grimm said:

I really don't get all the whining about the game, not here for the most part, but in general. Every game ever released has had bugs on it's initial release, wasn't what was promised, or needed polishing at it's release. At full price it cost less than a tank of gas, and I've seen it for sale as low as $25 US. I waste more than that on a half decent meal, which I'll only see again when I flush.

CDPR's main fault was they tried to make it compatible with all gaming platforms instead of focusing on only one, to the detriment of all.

If you're waiting for a game that will work flawlessly on 'your' system, have zero bugs, and be re-playable until your grandchildren are old and grey it could be done, it will probably cost you around half a million for your copy, and you still won't be completely happy with it.

Believe it or not, there actually have been a *few* games in the last half-century or so that released flawlessly.

I can  probably count them on both hands, but they exist... somewhere in the mists.  xD

Still, valid point, but if I were to guess, I think a lot of the reason for the inordinate whining is the sheer degree of hype that came before.  I mean, I deliberately avoid social media, most youtube/twitch etc content.  I try to live as much as I can in my 'comfy-bubble' and only find what I'm actually seeking, rather than letting all the media and buzz and opinions leak in, yet with CP, even I was bombarded with "OMG!  THIS WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVER!" for about a year before the less than stellar release.

Again, not trying to add to the whining or anything.  Just figure this has to be a good part of WHY there's so much of it, and why it's often so loud.  One of the main reasons I try so hard to NOT be "in the know" these days is due to having done so for so long and  having lots of wishes and dreams (for lack of better term) crushed and dashed over and over again.  Few sequels, for example, EVER live up to the original, but it's really hard not to get all hyped for them when you fell completely in love with the original and just don't want it to be over.  So you spend a year or two drooling, then you rip open that 'shiny new box' when it finally arrives and...  <spew>.  ;)

10 hours ago, nikoli grimm said:

If you're waiting for a game that will work flawlessly on 'your' system, have zero bugs, and be re-playable until your grandchildren are old and grey it could be done, it will probably cost you around half a million for your copy, and you still won't be completely happy with it.

You mean the laughing at and shitting on CDPR because of how it was marketed, released and everything in between and after. What's not to get? Every dev and pub should be held to the fire when doing bad practices. Shaming them only makes them change their attitude. Unless you're bethesda and no matter how bad you do it you just fail to improve.

I guess because I never really cared about the Witcher I don't have a reason to defend like them. Or care about them for that matter. Then again, I don't have slightest care for any studio out there. I merely want the industry to crash, but this isn't 1984. Whether temporary or for good. That isn't likely to ever happen again. Such a shame.

On 3/8/2021 at 4:15 PM, nikoli grimm said:

I couldn't agree more.

Cyberpunk is a blast!!!  I don't care a wit about what other people say/post about it.   I spent $60 on it and think it is a bargain.  It is way more fun that Witcher 3 in my opinion.   The only thing I would like to see is better modding tools.   Beyond that, I am happy.

If people are going to lay blame for the state of CP 2077 at anyone's feet, focus on the executives who set an artificial deadline and lied through their teeth to both the customers and their own shareholders. Video games can't be pigeonholed into some standardized model or rushed out the door and then be expected to be flawless. Something corporate types consistently fail to recognize in every AAA games company.

1 hour ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

If people are going to lay blame for the state of CP 2077 at anyone's feet, focus on the executives who set an artificial deadline and lied through their teeth to both the customers and their own shareholders. Video games can't be pigeonholed into some standardized model or rushed out the door and then be expected to be flawless. Something corporate types consistently fail to recognize in every AAA games company.

It's ridiculous how long this has been going on from virtually all the big wigs, even though their player base, their developers, hell.. even their marketing teams have been telling them almost as long, "We don't care what your freaking numbers say, this is stupidity and you'd make WAY more money if you garner a little loyalty and respect!"

But oh no.  The fat cats with the final say?  "I want it done next week.  If it's fucked up, we'll fix it in the DLC."  Meh.  Was a sad, sad day when that became the norm.  Heh.. I actually still remember back when my friends who were way more into consoles, while I'd basically been PC only between like.. original NES and maybe just before PS3 era or so would be all like, "Oh, that new DLC looks AWESOME!"  And I was like, "WTF is DLC?"  xD

Back then, my mindset was still set where you MIGHT see a patch or two, but MOST companies were actually trying to put a working, complete product in the box.

Now, I've grown to appreciate SOME DLC.  Case in point, I'm replaying the Mass Effect series right now, and IMO, LotSB and that "Main Side Mission" of ME3's Citadel are like... freaking priceless.  I think I nearly peed myself several times just cracking up at all the back & forth banter.  But this idea that you can ship a half-ass product, or something that seriously lacks proper spit & polish and then just "fix it with some DLC"?  Bleh.  Very annoying.   Of course, worse yet is the core ending of ME3, and then.. we were SO excited when they were gonna "fix it" with a new Extended Cut DLC.  They're damn lucky that thing is free.  Calling that a fix to anything was such an insult.  Nowdays, I either just quit the game when I get up there or I use mods.  xD

Er, dammit.. this wasn't really intended to get all ranty.  Actually laughing right now but definitely also rambling so I'll STFU.  ^_^

In closing though, love that avatar @Ernest Lemmingway :)  (Now THOSE were awesome games in their day - though they looked nothing like him obviously)  ^_^

2 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Yeah, a problem that CDPR has is that the guys who are in charge of the company are the types who have "artistic vision" but zero knowledge when it comes to software development, which makes them underestimate the problems that inevitably crop up during the process. Of course when the devs who actually know about that shit tell them that more time is needed to fix various issues, they fail to take that feedback seriously because of their ignorance and thus end up ignoring it.

5 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

What about the debacle with the investors suing the developers? Was that a corporate decision to be mislead as well? No, it was on the devs.

18 hours ago, endgame † addiction said:

What about the debacle with the investors suing the developers? Was that a corporate decision to be mislead as well? No, it was on the devs.

They aren't suing the actual developers, they're suing the company. More specifically, the executives in charge of CDPR who told them things were ready. IIRC, the actual devs are suing the execs as well.

The takes on this game just keep on giving. CD Projekt wanted to make the most talked about game of the decade and they may have succeeded even though it is not for the reasons that they were hoping for. That is better than fading away without a trace like so many once hyped games have before, no?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2021 at 1:33 AM, PerfidiousPantsuPincher said:

Yeah, a problem that CDPR has is that the guys who are in charge of the company are the types who have "artistic vision" but zero knowledge when it comes to software development, which makes them underestimate the problems that inevitably crop up during the process. Of course when the devs who actually know about that shit tell them that more time is needed to fix various issues, they fail to take that feedback seriously because of their ignorance and thus end up ignoring it.

This was my conclusion as well, after I've noticed that the team didn't have a "lead programmer" position. They had a "lead developer" who was a designer, but if you don't have a single person who knows what's going on inside the code, what's implemented and how, what is possible and what isn't in a given time frame - you're going to end up with a buggy mess.

It may even have gotten to the point where no one actually knew the state of the game.

2 hours ago, phillout said:

This was my conclusion as well, after I've noticed that the team didn't have a "lead programmer" position. They had a "lead developer" who was a designer, but if you don't have a single person who knows what's going on inside the code, what's implemented and how, what is possible and what isn't in a given time frame - you're going to end up with a buggy mess.

It may even have gotten to the point where no one actually knew the state of the game.

Either of these are positions a potentially great game suffers badly without.  Without a strong, capable lead programmer, you get all sorts of whacked out tech issues and things don't work properly or modules won't play nice together and it degrades into a messy system of trying to band-aid everything together.

No good, capable lead developer means people start going off in left field and there's serious breakdowns in lore, story, etc.  Game itself may WORK great, but you lose all your cohesion and any sense that the people even know what's supposed to be happening.  Some of the Mass effect games would be a great example here, especially from one installment to the next (not counting Andromeda, that was just a disaster).  But yes, your game functions just fine at a technical level, but you've got several games all telling you completely different things, or worse yet sometimes within the SAME game you'll have two utterly contradictory explanations of the same lore, which is just annoying as hell.

IMO, the 'no lead programmer' side is actually easier to fix IF you bring someone in who knows what they're doing, little by little they can go back through the code module by module and make everything behave.  If your lore/story/world is solidly written, now you're where you need to be.  Fixing disjointed lore/story in a technically working game is a lot harder, as it almost always requires (made up) knowledge that your team probably no longer has access to, which is usually why this sort of thing breaks in the first place.  Whoever wrote it and had the solid concept in their head leaves, new guy comes in and makes up his own crap to fill in gaps etc.  Really hard to sort that out again.  :P

41 minutes ago, ToJKa said:

Anyway, next patch is imminent, though if these are the thing they highlight, i wouldn't be expecting a miracle.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/whats-new-in-night-city-patch-1-2-development-insight.11083291/

At this point, with all the mess, I'm thinking any patch is good news.  Still waiting for things to sort out a bit before I jump in, but definitely WILL play it eventually.

Really nothing new for me though.  I'm usually late to the party.  I don't care what's new, shiny and popular, so I play a lot of classics and get around to 'new' stuff way after it's new, usually.  xD

Ooh a Patch with fixes, lots of fixes -

Wait...

• Fixed an issue that caused NPCs to trip over other NPCs too often.

This was a Bug?!? I thought it was a feature! Brings a smile to my face, even now, thinking about the 'roided out Animals falling over each other like the Keystone Cops.

I will leave it a week or so after release (not that I've played any 2077 in months) I expect a patch this size will introduce some of it's own bugs that will need hotfixes and give modders chance to update the likes of CET.

Already playing the game with patch 1.2, Graphics have a downgrade so thats why performs better.
The "fix" on lights/shadows/other sources are basically deleting them, If you played on ultra you will definetly notice the downgrade.
Cars handling are just a bit faster but still the same, I just started a new playthrough so this is what I noticed so far.

Biggest difference I found was that car handling is now adjustable in settings. Makes it much more playable with keyboard + mouse.

That, and my mid-to-low-end PC runs it a lot better, and there's fewer glitches and no bigger bugs that I encountered in ~5hrs of play after patch. I wouldn't say performance increase is only due to a stealth-downgrade on stuff, I saw an improvement in frame stability and could even crank up the settings a bit from my low-medium settings. But I don't have an RTX card, so I can't comment on that side, RTX seems to have had issues this whole time from what I've been able to gather. 

On 3/29/2021 at 9:19 PM, Mez558 said:

Ooh a Patch with fixes, lots of fixes -

Wait...

• Fixed an issue that caused NPCs to trip over other NPCs too often.

This was a Bug?!? I thought it was a feature! Brings a smile to my face, even now, thinking about the 'roided out Animals falling over each other like the Keystone Cops.

I will leave it a week or so after release (not that I've played any 2077 in months) I expect a patch this size will introduce some of it's own bugs that will need hotfixes and give modders chance to update the likes of CET.

Oh, this still happens, just not quite as often (such as them faceplanting 3+ times in a row), now they kind of roll off the other NPC and get up. I didn't run into any new bugs, but the r/cyberpunkgame seemed to have a few bug videos already. 

A friends game will no longer run after patch, even to the point that he's gone as far as doing a clean install of the game and it still will not run (from Steam or from REDprelauncher) by his account, it doesn't even start.

Our hardware is more or less the same, he has an i7 6700k (I've got the older 4790k) he has a GTX1080 (I have the 1080ti) but so far his issue is only with 2077.

He's said he has read that others are having the same issue but I cannot find any other complaints of this. Has anyone else seen posts anywhere of others suffering this issue or anything similar?

(game works fine for me, none of my mods worked after the patch but that was to be expected as it was the same with previous patches)

I'm not asking for a diagnosis (unless you had the same issue and resolved it) just has anyone seen any similar stories?

EDIT: Resolved this - In case anyone else has this issue.
After being assured that everything I could think of was tried - verifying files, uninstalling/reinstalling to different drive, launching outside of Steam. I ended doing a clean install on my PC and (after checking it ran) copied the entire game directory to a portable drive and pasted it on his PC.
Game runs fine but is using REDprelauncher and not steam to run it.

I dont see any "tragedy" in what happened with CDPR. It was just a natural consequence of a imposed consensus which plagues the game industry right now. 

It started with the graphics, which are becoming worse and worse each year. You have chromatic aberration, depth of field and motion blur, which 30% of player population is sensitive to. You also have a yellow-purple filter with low contrast, which makes any game bland and apathic. These features are forced down your throat, and most new games dont have a way to disable them (and when they do, they dont disable them entirely), so the idea is to have you playing for one hour, get sick and then stop playing, to not get addicted to it. The anti-addiction lobby made it that way, because they think shooters make people violent. Then you also have a SJW lobby which like to force these horrible graphics to convey a certain zeitgeist, kind of a "fluoride stare" for games.

This could work for shooters, for short games, but then you have a RPG, where people will spend many hours on it, not just one or two hours of casual gameplay. How can you immerse yourself in a game with motion sickness? The result is that at least 30% of the playerbase will trash it, albeit unconsciously, since they wont relate it to the absolute horrible graphics the industry is delivering these days. They will think it was just the bugs, which themselves are also a result of the same imposed consensus, as now devs, being SJW, are exploited by the big guys, to convey the commie narrative of the exploited worker. 

And devs who dont want to work with these packages (and these deadlines), are first ostracized and then kicked out of the industry. Social media play its part on it, as generation reddit and its horrible censorship shows. And things like onlyfans, kickstarter and patreon adds more fuel to the fire, because its easier to make people have negative feelings, than positive ones. The law of gravity also applies to emotions. 

My biggest disappointment recently was with Greedfall: in just five minutes I had a headache and nearly puked over my keyboard, so bad it was. This coming from a non-AAA game, where the consensus would be (supposedly) less imposing. That's why I stick to old games.